Healthy again? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old Dec 7th, 2011, 11:24 pm Thread Starter

Healthy again?

Ok guys, yesterday just got a lumbar disectomy, a lumbar laminectomy and stenosis on L4 to L5. Must say the pain shutting down the left leg is gone just after the anesthesia was gone. Pretty happy about that so far. Thing is that I had get the surgery done highly recomended by various doctors due to the total degree of pinching of the nerve and a recent pain attack this last friday where I could not even feel my left toes, now everything is normal just after the first day. WHAT A RELIEF! Just some uncomfort pain on my left butt chick from pulling I guess and local incision and bone cutting areas on middle of lower back. Just wondering how much should I wait to get back on the saddle agin . I'm flying to Venezuela on this coming 17th for 20 days , wish is not recomended by the neurosurgeon but the anesthesiologist pain management doctor says is ok. Who should I believe? or just take the risk by just taking some walks in the plain during the 3 and half hour flight and get some extra lumbar support for my seat. Advices welcome pleeeeeeeeeeeeeease.

2007 K1200LT STORM GREY V.O.I.C.E. II COMM. MOTORRAD NAV lll. 2004 SUZUKY HAYABUSA WITH NITROUS AND MORE.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old Dec 8th, 2011, 1:03 am

Re: Healthy again?

I would follow the surgeons advice. PERIOD!!!!!! To consider the advice of anyone else would be utter foolishness. The surgeon knows the extent of the work that had to be done and therefore should be the final authority for your recovery regimen.

Venezuela will still be there at Easter or even later in the year if that is how long it takes for you to heal.

If you screw up what has been done there might be no possibility for further repair and recovery.

Just sayin'

Loren

WAK1200LT
Loren

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Cave quid dicis, quando, et cui
post #3 of 7 Old Dec 8th, 2011, 4:50 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by mechanic
....is not recomended by the neurosurgeon but the anesthesiologist pain management doctor says is ok. Who should I believe? ...
The anesthesiologist is only speaking from the perspective of drugs you have had or maybe taking.

The surgeon is taking into consideration the procedure performed and risks to proper healing.

Ditto the above reply, the surgeon said not recommended and that's the advice to follow.

Heal well and best wishes for all things better in the New Year.

post #4 of 7 Old Dec 8th, 2011, 6:11 am
Lifetime Supporter

I had a disc laminectomy of L4 and L5 back in 84. I followed the surgeon's advice and ended up very well. In fact, I was better than I had ever been. He didn't allow me to sit for the first several day. I was to lie down or stand up. I can't imagine sitting on an airplane for any length of time after surgery..........

2006 R1200RT
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue
2003 K1200LTE Black
Totaled Oct 2, 2010
2006 Kawasaki Vulcan 2000
Most of us would rather be ruined by praise than saved by criticism.
post #5 of 7 Old Dec 8th, 2011, 6:31 am

I am not a doctor, nor do I play one on television. In 1994 I had back surgery, lower Lumbar laminectomy. I, like you had immediate relief from the pain traveling down my right leg and could once again feel my toes. Do nothing that could mess this up. All these years later I am still pain free. As the previous poster stated, you don't want to screw up the work that has been done. They may not be able to fix it again.
post #6 of 7 Old Dec 8th, 2011, 9:57 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mechanic
now everything is normal just after the first day. WHAT A RELIEF!
Sounds like you already know what you should do.

John Baker

2005 BMW K1200LT
1979 Suzuki GS1000E
1978 Honda CB350
1975 Suzuki GT380
post #7 of 7 Old Dec 8th, 2011, 4:48 pm

I work with physicians daily and if the surgeon told me not to fly then that is what I would do. I have known orthopedic surgeons as well as cardiovascular surgeons and there is reason why you are feeling better, they did their jobs according to their training and not because they thought if they did the surgery differently it would be better or quicker. Would you have had the surgery if you asked your surgeon on the day of surgery if he was 100 percent and he said he was only 75 percent.? I think not so why second guess him now that you are recovering. Recovery is as critical as the actual surgery......but it is your back and pain so you get to make the final call.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in