38 S&W642 or Ruger LCR - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old Nov 26th, 2011, 1:17 pm Thread Starter

Question 38 S&W642 or Ruger LCR

Anyone have any experience with either or both would Greatly Appreciate your feedback.

THANKS,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old Nov 26th, 2011, 6:14 pm

Re: 38 S&W642 or Ruger LCR

I have the Ruger 9mm LCP. Nice gun, but it has a long trigger pull. At least longer than I like.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'99K1200LT - "Bertha" - gone, but not forgotten!
'86 Concours - "Horse with no name" (under reconstructive surgery)
'06 K1200GT - "Road Rocket"
Marshall, Tx

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 7 Old Nov 26th, 2011, 6:21 pm

x2............long trigger pull; lot's of creep and a sudden release.........about like a 38 double action........good belly gun........I wouldn't want to shoot too far with either...........$00.02

Jim and Cyndy
'03 Black..."Ol' Dollar"
TDMTT

post #4 of 7 Old Nov 27th, 2011, 4:12 pm

My wife has a stainless S&W J-Magnum with the exposed hammer in the hollowed out book next to the bed. Kicks like a mule with plus p loads - and I doubt if she (or me) could hit anything past 15 feet with it!

Why not consider a Kahr. 40. For just a few ounces more you've got a nice, basic US made auto that is only 1" wide and carries seven rounds. I've been very pleased with mine.

Kahr Arms CW40 40 S&W Pistol in Two Tone Finish

"Like Butt-ahh!"

Last edited by RonKMiller; Nov 27th, 2011 at 4:18 pm.
post #5 of 7 Old Nov 27th, 2011, 5:49 pm Thread Starter

Appreciate the responses; looking for real user feedback on either the S&W642/642CT & the Ruger LCR revolvers.

THANKS,
post #6 of 7 Old Nov 27th, 2011, 7:54 pm

I recently picked up a LCR but haven't been to the range with it yet.

It is incredibly light with the composite frame. The trigger action is very smooth but has a long reset. If you don't let the trigger all the way back out, you will misfire then next pull.

I like the light weight and the smoothed edges. The thing just screams pocket carry. It handles +P and with the wraparound rubber grip, (reportedly) tames the recoil better than a j-frame with the exposed backstrap.

Speedloaders are a little tricky with the thick rubber grip. Some owners have trimmed back the rubber a bit on the left side to make room for the speedloader. Alternatively, I have seen some speedloaders that are relieved around the cartridge openings. They may work well too (sorry, I don't recall the brand but it's not safariland or HKS). I picked up some speed strips that carry better than speedloaders. Not as fast, but an easy and compact way to carry reloads.

Sights are simple with a ramped blade in the front and a channel in the rear. Some owners have enhanced the front sight simply by painting it. Replacing it with a tritium or hi-viz light pipe is a non-gunsmith affair.

There have been a couple of isolated cases of problems with LCRs but Ruger is a great company and supports their customers and products. You can read more over at rugerforum.net

My only other experience with a j-frame was looking at a 38 Bodyguard at a local store. In direct comparison, the Ruger felt more solid than the Smith. The wacky top-mounted ambi cylinder release on the BG was just kinds weird.

But either the 642 or the LCR are great choices.
Good luck.

Dave
-2000 K1200LT
-------------------------------
Life's too short to ride ugly motorcycles
post #7 of 7 Old Nov 28th, 2011, 10:46 pm

Both good choices. I've shot both.....I would prefer the 642 in the desk drawer, but the LCR for a CCW. Perhaps you have a local range with rentals to try out and see which works best for you. FWIW, I own plenty of products from both companies, and each has great service

Related, I have a NIB Don Hume IWB Leather Holster for the Ruger LCR .38 for sale on the beretta forum, if anyone is interested.

Email me please at clawsonbob at cs.com

http://berettaforum.net/vb/showthread.php?t=80331

Last edited by clawsonbob; Nov 28th, 2011 at 10:51 pm.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in