Bad Back - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old Nov 22nd, 2011, 8:23 pm Thread Starter

Bad Back

Hello everyone. Got the results of the MRI. Liquid around L1 L2 and L3. Bulging L3 L4 and severe herniated L5 to S1 leaking that stuff pinching the nerve causing lots of pain down my left leg. I got better in the last couple of weeks but some uncomfort still is felt down the leg with very little pain on the lower back. Question is, will this be a reason to get rid of the bike? Has anyone gone thru this and got better and back on the saddle. Must tell you that after 25 years riding it will be impossible for me to even contemplate de idea of stop riding. Please give me some good news.

2007 K1200LT STORM GREY V.O.I.C.E. II COMM. MOTORRAD NAV lll. 2004 SUZUKY HAYABUSA WITH NITROUS AND MORE.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old Nov 22nd, 2011, 9:56 pm

Garage
Re: Bad Back

yep had 3 ops, now have fused L5 and a plastic disc in S1 still have nerve pain or sciatic down my left leg I just had a Russell seat fitted to the LT doesn't help much so save your money and just get off every couple of hours for a stretch, don't sell your bike just enjoy being alive. "your a bloody long time DEAD"
don't use the centre stand if it is not hydraulic, it will be to much weight on your back to pull it up, so what if it smokes a bit.

Regards Linton
From the land of Kangaroo's and Koalas
and no koalas are not Bears

2002 K1200LT
2010 Suzuki GSX 1250FA (the Wifes)
2004 Cub Kamparoo Sprint
My Toys
1976 Datsun 260Z
1989 Nissan 300zx TT
post #3 of 11 Old Nov 22nd, 2011, 10:11 pm
Sit

Had back surgery also due to ruptured disc. Still have discomfort to out right pain depending on what I am doing or more importantly have done. Fortunately riding does not bother it much at all, GS or LT. The best thing I have found to keep the back happy is an inversion table. Every other night I take a ride on it until I feel my back give in a bit (weird, I can just feel it in my lower back when enough is enough) usually only takes 5 minutes or less. I then get off of the table and go to bed so my back does not compact together again.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2005 K1200LT-Ocean Blue
1989 K100RS - Blue & White
1992 K75S - Black
2013 Ural Patrol - Sold
2007 R1200GS-Granite Gray-Sold
2004 R1150R-Titan Silver-Sold

post #4 of 11 Old Nov 23rd, 2011, 12:06 am

Wink Re: Bad Back

I had two discectomies in the past: One in 1974; another in 1994 (20 years later!). Both for herniated discs at L4-L5. I ride still and have all along. I just need to watch that I don't cause any flare-ups by acting stronger than I really am anymore. The left leg has had a constant "buzzing" sensation all the time, but not really painful. I've gotten used to it. Have faith!

John

John & Marilyn Fisher
'00 K1200LTC "Katie"
'95 Triumph "Tigger"
'12 Triumph 800XC "Tigger II" (RIP)
'12 Triumph 1200 Explorer "Shadow Tigger"
Hillsboro, Oregon

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 11 Old Nov 23rd, 2011, 12:16 am

I have three vertebrae bone on bone and 4 motorcycles, the last one I bought is a dual sport. You can do the math
If you're not good at math, it all equals up to - don't get rid of the bike yet.
post #6 of 11 Old Nov 23rd, 2011, 5:52 am
cws

Garage

and another one... had bulging discs and severe sciatic pain in left leg about 15 years ago after a surfing incident. Almost couldn't walk for 12 months, eventually found a Doc that used some paw-paw treatment to remove the bulging in the discs through long needles.
Got back to about 95% left leg movement, eventually went surfing again and got back into riding, have had the LT for 6 years & 87,000km now....

never give up!

Chris
Sydney, NSW
2005 Dark Graphite Metallic K1200LT

2005 Orient Blue Metallic K1200GT SE
(sold 2019)
2000 Red Honda CB250 (the toy)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

post #7 of 11 Old Nov 23rd, 2011, 12:42 pm Thread Starter

Thanks for all the replies and good news. I guess it will only get better from this point on. I was leaning towards keeping the bike but the wife don't want me to go thru pain and damage something. Again thank you all.

2007 K1200LT STORM GREY V.O.I.C.E. II COMM. MOTORRAD NAV lll. 2004 SUZUKY HAYABUSA WITH NITROUS AND MORE.
post #8 of 11 Old Nov 23rd, 2011, 4:21 pm
Lifetime Supporter

You may also want to consider going with three wheels. No chance of straining the back on a drop, etc. Not as good as two wheels, but much better than four.

post #9 of 11 Old Nov 23rd, 2011, 9:49 pm

I had neck disc fusion last year. Got back on my bike too soon, which set back my recovery a bit. I suggest waiting 2 months after surgery before riding again.
post #10 of 11 Old Nov 24th, 2011, 6:30 am
Lifetime Supporter

My wife Karen could barely walk.
had a fusion 9 months ago.
Now tosses around 100 lb boxes like feathers.
Secret is get a ortho surgeon that specializes in back......

Allan..Illinois, Oregon, Arkansas, and tomorrow the Universe
2003 K1200LT trike - Starfighter
2004 R1150RTP - Combat Touring
IBA #38152
BMW-MOA 97667
Patriot Guard Riders
...and man of leisure

post #11 of 11 Old Nov 24th, 2011, 11:17 am Thread Starter

Went to see Dr Crespo who specializes in non-surgical spinal issues, and treats all the Tampa Bay Buccaneers players, he says he can fix me without surgery with a 3 month treatment using a machine that separates the bones around that disc and if for any reason that don't work the only other fix will be a surgery.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in