iPhone ringtone: silence - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 Old Nov 9th, 2011, 3:58 pm Thread Starter
Cat Herder

iPhone ringtone: silence

If you are like me then you would love to have the ability to shitcan certain numbers and not even being disturbed when they call again. Like telemarketers and such. Unfortunately the iPhone out of the box (not jailbroken) cannot do that. So I had to come up with a different solution:

By now you most likely know that you can assign special ringtones to special Contacts. This is exactly what we are going to do here! Create a 'special' contact named "Blacklisted" or "ShitCanned" or whatever you want to call them, add all your phone numbers you don;t want to ring your phone and assign the special ringtone 'silence' to that contact.

Again, the iPhone out of the box does not have a ringtone silence, so I created one and since I can imagine I am not the only one having this problem here is the ringtone to download: http://www.bmwlt.com/silence.m4r

Download this ringtone, then open iTunes, add it to iTunes ( File/Add to library ) and make sure it is being synced with your phone. After the next sync you will have a new ringtone and all your special contacts can call all they want and all times of the day and your phone will dutifully play "silence" at full blast. Unfortunately you won't hear too much of that.

Andreas Pleschutznig
'14 GSAW soon:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still in search of Occam's razor to cut a Gordian knot.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old Nov 9th, 2011, 4:46 pm

Re: iPhone ringtone: silence

I enjoy hearing all of the things my Droid can do "out of the box" that the iPhone can't. Apple doesn't give you a 'Silent' ringtone? Really?

- Just Joe

(Current bikes)
  • 2001 BMW K1200LTC
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
  • 2010 Kawasaki Concours14
  • 1985 Honda V65 Magna
  • 2005 Harley V-Rod Chrome Edition
  • 2003 Harley V-Rod Anniversary Edition
post #3 of 21 Old Nov 9th, 2011, 5:09 pm Thread Starter
Cat Herder

Yes, really. Your droid is better

Andreas Pleschutznig
'14 GSAW soon:

post #4 of 21 Old Nov 10th, 2011, 1:58 am
IBR# 366

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by messenger13_ver2
I enjoy hearing all of the things my Droid can do "out of the box" that the iPhone can't.
Is that truly "out of the box", or "out of the box and then after I had to root it so I could actually get the damn thing to do anything useful . . . "

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #5 of 21 Old Nov 10th, 2011, 6:39 am Thread Starter
Cat Herder

Just let it go Ken. This can only end up in measuring the length of various dicks, and that does not help anyone. Some things are better on Android, some things are better on iOS.

Andreas Pleschutznig
'14 GSAW soon:

post #6 of 21 Old Nov 10th, 2011, 7:15 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy
Just let it go Ken. This can only end up in measuring the length of various dicks, and that does not help anyone. Some things are better on Android, some things are better on iOS.
Awl shoot - I thought we were gonna get another forum category!!! Call (pun?) it 'cellaphoni uses'; or maybe 'ringatoni 'round the phoni'; or .....? And you can only post in there if you're using one!!
post #7 of 21 Old Nov 10th, 2011, 8:05 am

Quote:
Just let it go Ken. This can only end up in measuring the length of various dicks, and that does not help anyone.

Is there a measuring tape app for the iphone??

Wolfgang

K1200LT 1999 Champaign SOLD
R1100RS 1994 Teal SOLD
R1150RT 2003 Blue (Sold)
R1100RT 1997 Blue

Pest, Budapest Hungary

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness."
Mark Twain

post #8 of 21 Old Nov 10th, 2011, 9:42 am

Ask Siri. She doesn't like to talk about her relationship with Hal from 2001.

Ride 'em if you got 'em.
post #9 of 21 Old Nov 10th, 2011, 9:52 am

Thanks for the idea Andy! I'm a littled peaved that I didn't come up with this work-around...

Lately I have been getting relentless calls from some call-bot from a home security firm. First it was listed as a MA number, then WA, now MI!

Brian
CCR: 2008, Midway; 2011, Boise; 2012, Duluth; 2014, Chattanooga. MOA: Billings, 2015; SLC, 2017
CCR-R: 2018, Russellville
'13 K1600 GTL-P - "Eva"
Sold but "beloved" ride: K12 LT - "Pepe"
IBA #31242 (SSx2, BB, BBG)
MOA #136148

-
post #10 of 21 Old Nov 10th, 2011, 9:58 am

You all may enjoy a fee app known as G Blocker. It not only blocks annoying callers, it lets you manage what standard message(s) they get to hear. My favorite is "the number you have called is no longer a working number". Seems to get you off the "list" pretty quick although with some robots it may take a while.

I'm pretty sure you can record a custom message as well for specific incoming numbers - perhaps one for your ex-wife like: "Leave me alone you cheatin' psycho dishthrowin' ho"

"Like Butt-ahh!"
post #11 of 21 Old Nov 10th, 2011, 11:51 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonKMiller
You all may enjoy a fee app known as G Blocker. It not only blocks annoying callers, it lets you manage what standard message(s) they get to hear. My favorite is "the number you have called is no longer a working number". Seems to get you off the "list" pretty quick although with some robots it may take a while.

I'm pretty sure you can record a custom message as well for specific incoming numbers - perhaps one for your ex-wife like: "Leave me alone you cheatin' psycho dishthrowin' ho"
I don't see anything on the App Store called "G Blocker". This a Droid app?

Brian
CCR: 2008, Midway; 2011, Boise; 2012, Duluth; 2014, Chattanooga. MOA: Billings, 2015; SLC, 2017
CCR-R: 2018, Russellville
'13 K1600 GTL-P - "Eva"
Sold but "beloved" ride: K12 LT - "Pepe"
IBA #31242 (SSx2, BB, BBG)
MOA #136148

-
post #12 of 21 Old Nov 10th, 2011, 4:44 pm
IBR# 366

Garage

Quote:
This can only end up in measuring the length of various dicks, and that does not help anyone.
True enough. It's usually a futile exercise at best, although it can be a bit of fun now and again, especially if you can argue from a superior position . . .

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #13 of 21 Old Nov 10th, 2011, 5:04 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by hallzee
I don't see anything on the App Store called "G Blocker". This a Droid app?
GBlocker by Guardam.

Looks like it may be Android only - but there are lots of others out there. I got mine for free a while back, but it looks like they are charging for it now. The ability to manage incoming calls completely is priceless...

"Like Butt-ahh!"
post #14 of 21 Old Nov 11th, 2011, 9:27 am Thread Starter
Cat Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfgang
Is there a measuring tape app for the iphone??
Yes, there is! Unfortunately it's too short -- LOL

Andreas Pleschutznig
'14 GSAW soon:

post #15 of 21 Old Nov 11th, 2011, 2:40 pm

Quote:
Yes, there is! Unfortunately it's too short -- LOL
Just what is too short there Andy ???

Just Go

Mike
Cleveland Ohio
2019 K1600b Grand America, Blue Max.
post #16 of 21 Old Nov 11th, 2011, 2:53 pm

Thumbs up Re: iPhone ringtone: silence

Quote:
Download this ringtone, then open iTunes, add it to iTunes...
Brilliant, Andy. Thank you!

Rudy
"Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened."

'03 BMW K1200LT (a keeper)
'08 BMW F800ST (fun fun fun)
'99 BMW R1100RT (sold her!)
'84 Honda Magna V45 (nice while she lasted)
'80 Yamaha YZ125 (rest her soul)
post #17 of 21 Old Nov 12th, 2011, 7:47 am Thread Starter
Cat Herder

You are most welcome.

Andreas Pleschutznig
'14 GSAW soon:

post #18 of 21 Old Nov 12th, 2011, 12:42 pm
BMW Guru

Quote:
If you are like me then you would love to have the ability to shitcan certain numbers and not even being disturbed when they call again. Like telemarketers and such. Unfortunately the iPhone out of the box (not jailbroken) cannot do that. So I had to come up with a different solution:

By now you most likely know that you can assign special ringtones to special Contacts. This is exactly what we are going to do here! Create a 'special' contact named "Blacklisted" or "ShitCanned" or whatever you want to call them, add all your phone numbers you don;t want to ring your phone and assign the special ringtone 'silence' to that contact.

Again, the iPhone out of the box does not have a ringtone silence, so I created one and since I can imagine I am not the only one having this problem here is the ringtone to download: http://www.bmwlt.com/silence.m4r

Download this ringtone, then open iTunes, add it to iTunes ( File/Add to library ) and make sure it is being synced with your phone. After the next sync you will have a new ringtone and all your special contacts can call all they want and all times of the day and your phone will dutifully play "silence" at full blast. Unfortunately you won't hear too much of that.

I use a google voice number now. Allows you to block numbers or have certain calls go straight to a voice mail of your choosing. It's pretty cool and free :-)

2007 G650 X Challenge
2006 GT200
2005 R1200GS

post #19 of 21 Old Nov 12th, 2011, 4:03 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Shred
I use a google voice number now. Allows you to block numbers or have certain calls go straight to a voice mail of your choosing. It's pretty cool and free :-)
And from the good guys that brought you Android.
I have a Google Voice number as well.

- Just Joe

(Current bikes)
  • 2001 BMW K1200LTC
  • 2010 Kawasaki Concours14
  • 1985 Honda V65 Magna
  • 2005 Harley V-Rod Chrome Edition
  • 2003 Harley V-Rod Anniversary Edition
post #20 of 21 Old Nov 12th, 2011, 9:51 pm

You can also block numbers if you have Verizon in your my verizon account. Just fyi.

Just Go

Mike
Cleveland Ohio
2019 K1600b Grand America, Blue Max.
post #21 of 21 Old Nov 13th, 2011, 11:54 am Thread Starter
Cat Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Shred
I know, I tried Google voice and unfortunately it doesn't help when

a) they call YOUR cell number
b) you can't use google voice because its not reliable enough and you have to rely on your cell phone. Google voice all the time gave me troubles (with an android device) that phone calls did not come through. The person trying to call me just got to my voice mail and I got that voicemail sometime later. Unfortunately that is something I cannot live with. If your job is to protect 1.5 to 2 M $ in revenue / per day I bet your employer also would have little to no understanding that Google voice made you get on the problem an hour later. (Calculate that in $$$ especially knowing that that revenue is not evenly distributed over the day)

Andreas Pleschutznig
'14 GSAW soon:

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in