What does "Certified" really mean? RANT - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old Nov 7th, 2011, 7:35 am Thread Starter

What does "Certified" really mean? RANT

Last April my wife and I bought a VW Passat from a local dealer and the car was "Certified" so it had the extra warranty, new tires and had been fully inspected 7 ways to Sunday... Or so I thought so until yesterday. Having never owned a VW or even worked on one in my life for that matter I had no idea where certain parts were located. At the 5000 mile mark (two months ago) I changed the oil without too much issue. I went to rotate the tires and found that the special anti-theft lug was missing. So I had it removed and replaced them with 4 standard lugs costing $30 from the stealer. I complained then that this should have been part of the "Certified" check but OK maybe a little oversight. Also when changing the oil for the first time I tried to find the air filter just so I could have a look-see. No luck. The air system goes from the front by the radiator around the back of the engine into a largish box before it goes into the turbo. Since I could not easily get to it I let it go since they told me it had just been fully serviced and the air filter was on the list of things changed during "Certification". Yesterday I changed the oil again (5000 miles later) and this time I was determined to find the air filter. There is a little box right up in the front that has a clipped cover and there was nothing there so I went to remove the engine cover to find out what was under there. No luck. This thing does not remove by just gentle lifting so not wanting to break anything I went to the internet and asked Where is the air filter? Lo and behold it is supposed to be in the little box in the front!!! So we now have been driving this car for 10K with NO FRIGGIN AIR FILTER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The dealer is going to have a REAL BAD Monday! What the hell kind of idiot grease monkeys do they have working at the dealer?? What a load of *#&@! the "Certified" line of BS is! Now I am looking at the possibility of real engine damage and crap inside my air system because some moron forgot to put an air filter in it! My intention is to go to the dealer and have the GM show me where the air filter is located. Then I am going to demand that my air system up to the turbo needs to be cleaned, the turbo needs to be pressure checked, the cylinders need to be compression checked, new sparks, an air filter, MAF sensor cleaned and I need a letter from the factory rep that states that it is perfectly alright that car is run for 6 months without an air filter. Also I need an extended warranty on the engine.
Here is the question: What would you do?

2000 K1200LT-C "Tsukune"
2013 Honda NC700X "Moka"

Kirk Johnson

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

President of

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old Nov 7th, 2011, 7:45 am

Re: What does "Certified" really mean? RANT

Me? I'd let Cheryl handle the dealership!!! It'd be a Monday they'd remember!!!

Just kidding (sorta!). I would make it a point to deal with a person as high up the ladder as I can get to. Good luck!
post #3 of 5 Old Nov 7th, 2011, 9:41 am
Lifetime Supporter

Sorry for your problems.

Honestly, I believe I would start with a well written letter to the dealer principal, detailing the issues and the solution you would like to see. This gives everyone involved a chance to review the situation with clarity, rather than an emotional response that may or may not give you the desired results.

Ultimately, I would doubt the factory can be much help on a used vehicle, regardless of the "Certified" moniker. Better the resolve the issue directly with the dealer.

Good luck.

Life happens...you control your reaction.

2017 KTM 350 EXC-F (single track monster)
2018 Honda CRF250L Rally (fun on the fire roads)
2015 R1200 RT (holy cow…what a bike)
2007 K1200 LT (sold)
2005 DR 650 (sold)
2002 Harley Ultra (sold)
1999 Harley Road King (sold)
1996 K1100 LT (sold)
1990 Honda Shadow (sold)
1978-1993 Raising Kids; Paying Mortgages
1975 Honda CB550 (sold but wish I still had)
Homemade Motor Bike (mounted a 3.5 HP Briggs & Stratton on my bicycle at age 12)

post #4 of 5 Old Nov 7th, 2011, 10:05 am

Did you sign the "AS IS" paperwork...??

It doesn't matter what they tell you.. I'm assuming you bought a used car..

It's only going to be as good as the integrity of the dealership.. I recently bought a used minivan... It was as you say "Certified".. Just a week or two into ownership the brakes started making "That sound" they make when they're worn out.. I went straight to the dealership and they made it right...Got a full, brake job...

So Hopefully you chose a good dealership..But I think the best you'll get is an air filter..Perhaps an apology but it usually goes.. "We had a guy here that wasn't doing his job but we fired him..."

IT's probably fine.. Unless you live in the desert and drive in dust storms all the time.

John

Live and direct from the new earthquake capitol of the U.S. Jones, Oklahoma
08 Can-Am Spyder (Miss Lindy's)
03 R1200CLC Capri Blue "Flipper"

01 R1100RT Glacier Blue "Lucky"
91 R100GS "It'sNotAMoneyPit"
The voices in my head may not be real, But they have some good ideas!

"I like the wind in my face and Boobies on my back. No, Wait, I got that backwards"

post #5 of 5 Old Nov 7th, 2011, 11:29 am Thread Starter

Update: I just returned from the dealer and have now learned the real location of the air filter. The internet is wrong. The real locale is not only under the engine cover (like I originally thought) but it is also sandwiched in between it. It took the mechanic about 10 minutes of unbolting things to get to it and another 6 minutes to remove it. It is almost as bad as the LT. What a PITA but dam am I glad there is one there!. To the dealers credit, they were willing to buy the car back if there was no filter present and help us find a comparable car. I feel a little dumb but not really too bad. There is no mention of the air filter in the manual or even a hint of when it should be checked. WHEW!!

2000 K1200LT-C "Tsukune"
2013 Honda NC700X "Moka"

Kirk Johnson

President of

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in