GPS & Cell Phone Safety! - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old Nov 6th, 2011, 7:52 pm Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

GPS & Cell Phone Safety!

I got the following from a neighbor and it seems like I'm in violation of it all. I never thought about it like this.GPS

A couple of weeks ago a friend told me that someone she knew had their car broken into while they were at a football game. Things stolen from the car included a garage door remote control, some money and a GPS which had been prominently mounted on the dashboard.

When the victims got home, they found that their house had been ransacked and just about everything worth anything had been stolen. The thieves had used the GPS to guide them to the house. They then used the garage remote control to open the garage door and gain entry to the house. The thieves knew the owners were at the football game, they knew what time the game was scheduled to finish and so they knew how much time they had to clean out the house. It would appear that they had brought a truck to empty the house of its contents.

Something to consider if you have a GPS - don't put your home address in it.. Put a nearby address (like a store or gas station) so you can still find your way home if you need to, but no one else would know where you live if your GPS were stolen.

MOBILE PHONES

This lady has now changed her habit of how she lists her names on her mobile phone after her handbag was stolen. Her handbag, which contained her cell phone, credit card, wallet... Etc...was stolen.

20 minutes later when she called her hubby, from a pay phone telling him what had happened, hubby says 'I received your text asking about our Pin number and I've replied a little while ago.' When they rushed down to the bank, the bank staff told them all the money was already withdrawn. The thief had actually used the stolen cell phone to text 'hubby' in the contact list and got hold of the pin number. Within 20 minutes he had withdrawn all the money from their bank account.

Moral of the lesson:

Do not disclose the relationship between you and the people in your contact list.

Avoid using names like Home, Honey, Hubby, Sweetheart, Dad, Mom, etc....

And very importantly, when sensitive info is being asked through texts, CONFIRM by calling back.

Also, when you're being texted by friends or family to meet them somewhere, be sure to call back to confirm that the message came from them. If you don't reach them, be very careful about going places to meet 'family and friends' who text you..

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old Nov 6th, 2011, 10:33 pm

Thumbs up Re: GPS & Cell Phone Safety!

Very useful stuff Dan. Thanks

2006 K LT1200 Ridin'
2007 K GT1200 Sold
2005 ST 1100 Sold
1985 V65 1000 Magna Sold
1973 CB 750 4 Sold
1966 305 SuperHawk Sold
post #3 of 11 Old Nov 7th, 2011, 5:56 am Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Re: GPS & Cell Phone Safety!

My guess is that there have never been situations like the ones described above and that many people are just paranoid thinking about all of the things that can go wrong. I know I have several neighbors that are constantly emailing me notes like above and wanting me to share them with "everyone" I know, "just in case!"

I hesitate for several reasons. 1. possible viruses. 2. the gathering of e-mail addresses. and 3. Unnecessary worry about things that haven't or won't happen.

In reality, I find that many people worry about what they can't control and don't worry about what they can control.

Anyway, I shared it to see if anyone really thought it was a legitimate threat or just needless worry.

Me, my cell phone has ICE programmed (In Case of Emergency) number for my wife. I heard this was good, but wonder if it would really ever make a difference. and my GPS has home! Maybe I'll reprogram GPS for my next door neighbor!

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)

post #4 of 11 Old Nov 7th, 2011, 2:47 pm

I like the feature on my Garmin though. If the unit is not within a certain number of feet of it's "safe" location, it asks for a PIN before doing anything else.

Chris Ehlbeck
2002 BMW K1200LTE Toscana Green Retired with 85,391 miles
2014 BMW R1200RT Quartz Blue Metallic

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 11 Old Nov 7th, 2011, 3:06 pm

Which is why my home address on my GPS is a mile from my house.

Regards & Ride Safe!

Bruce
'09 Black LT
4-Wheels moves the body, 2-wheels moves the soul.
IBA # 8547
post #6 of 11 Old Nov 7th, 2011, 3:38 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gizmo1137
Which is why my home address on my GPS is a mile from my house.
For GPS and iPhone, my personal address is at an independent parcel post mail box in town. Plus, anything related to wife, home, etc. lists the Boerne Police Department address. They know us!
post #7 of 11 Old Nov 7th, 2011, 4:21 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick
For GPS and iPhone, my personal address is at an independent parcel post mail box in town. Plus, anything related to wife, home, etc. lists the Boerne Police Department address. They know us!
At my previous address, I used the PD dept as my "home" as they were close, not the case now.

Regards & Ride Safe!

Bruce
'09 Black LT
4-Wheels moves the body, 2-wheels moves the soul.
IBA # 8547
post #8 of 11 Old Nov 7th, 2011, 6:31 pm

Aside, NEVER EVER leave your smart phone or murse (man purse) sitting on the front seat of your car or in view for even a minute when you park. Put it in the trunk or at least cover it with a jacket or newspaper.

Smash and Grab thieves are rampant these days - all it takes is one of those pointed "glass break" hammers and a light tap with practically no noise - and badabing - your stuff is gone in 6 seconds. If you have have window tint film on the inside of your vehicles like I do there is NO NOISE at all.

I totaled up the value of my murse the other day and it is shocking:

1. Smart phone: $400.00
2. Kahr .40 $800.00
3. Ray Ban prescription sunglasses $300.00
4. Mercedes replacement key fob $185.00
5. Tumi murse $145.00
6. Beretta tactical pen $ 35.00
7. LED flashlight $ 20.00
8. Ken Onion folding knife $ 65.00
9. Smart phone "pen" $ 20.00
10. Not to mention my wallet: Priceless

One moment of inattention is all it takes and I'm out $2K plus a lot of grief!

Not to mention the deductible to replace your side window glass and new window tint - that's $300.00 right there.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Like Butt-ahh!"
post #9 of 11 Old Nov 7th, 2011, 10:14 pm

http://www.snopes.com/crime/intent/gps.asp
post #10 of 11 Old Nov 8th, 2011, 6:32 am

I'm guilty of having MOM in my contact list of my phone. I lost my phone in Phoenix where my mom lives and someone picked it up. I deactivated the phone but the person that found it got my mom's phone number in the contacts list and called from their phone and asked if we lost a cell phone. They gave us the address to go pick it up. We did. I gave them a small reward for their effort. I also have ICE in my phone so in case of emergency medical staff can contact my wife and doctor. I know dishonest people could use it against me. I guess i could either live in fear, or die in fear. Far worse things you could do with a smart phone like have it remember your passwords and pins for online banking, email accounts etc. You have to think about the what if and weigh the risks. Good advise on the GPS, and take it off the DASH and hide it away.

Just Go

Mike
Cleveland Ohio
2019 K1600b Grand America, Blue Max.
post #11 of 11 Old Nov 8th, 2011, 10:53 am

Garage

I was against using the "Home" button for a while, however if you have the BMW Navigator 4 or Garmin 66x you have tracking facility. This will show where you have been riding - the thicker the line the more frequently it is used. A person can work out that the think line 1-2 miles away from "Home" is likely to be the real home.

The other thing against avoiding "Home" is if you type your name into the GPS (eg Fred Smith) then this will be towards the top on the "last found" list. Again using tracking a would be thief can work out where you live!

If you want to be safe - use paper maps & street finder books! With everything there is a risk, you have to work out what the risks are and are they acceptable to you. If not don't do it, if yes then take reasonable precautions. For example I do not leave the GPS with the bike when I park up.

Best regards
Sleuth

Current & previous bikes
2020 R 1200GSA Ice Grey (Not yet received)
2010 R1200RT Thunder Grey (Used in Part Exchange)
1988 K100RT (For Sale)
Suzuki GS850 (Sold)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in