Real Mac IT help needed ! or I Hate Macs - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old Oct 5th, 2011, 4:25 pm Thread Starter

Real Mac IT help needed ! or I Hate Macs

Ok. One of my schools got a new principal who decided we needed to chuck all the XP boxes and get new Imacs for the computer lab...

I now officially hate macs...

Oh yeah, But let's not get a mac server. Let's get a Windows 2008R2 server and try to get the macs working with it...

I am about disgusted with this whole thing and am considering recommending this customer find a Mac Spert...

Can anybody give me any insight as to how to get these things working with the 2008 server ??

I can bind them to the DC just fine. And I can see shares and printers and what not, But this customer wants Network Home Folders and I can't seem to get that to even approach working..

Do I have to have a "Golden Triangle" setup before this is going to work ?

Anybody have any experience with this ?

I'm about ready to give this whole thing the "Golden Showers" treatment..

Thanks,

John

Live and direct from the new earthquake capitol of the U.S. Jones, Oklahoma
08 Can-Am Spyder (Miss Lindy's)
03 R1200CLC Capri Blue "Flipper"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

01 R1100RT Glacier Blue "Lucky"
91 R100GS "It'sNotAMoneyPit"
The voices in my head may not be real, But they have some good ideas!

"I like the wind in my face and Boobies on my back. No, Wait, I got that backwards"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old Oct 6th, 2011, 7:26 am

Re: Real Mac IT help needed ! or I Hate Macs

I also drank the Kool-Aid and bought a MAC so that it would be easier for the wife to check email and play solitaire. I ended up buying a new Dell 15r laptop that she now uses all the time because the MAC ain't as user friendly as advertised.

EZ-RDR55
The opinions expressed herein are mine, and do not represent that of any other humanoid past, present or future on this or any other planet.

'95 H-D FXDWG
'06 Honda CRF250X
'04 KTM 450EXC
'97 Honda XR-600R
'04 K1200LT (Sold)
'07 K1200GT (Sold)
'09 Wee-Strom DL-650ABS
post #3 of 10 Old Oct 6th, 2011, 8:17 am

Your chioce of the mac is still a good one and please, pretty please do not deep six the imac just yet.
I take it you are aquainted with setting up TCP, however in the win2008r2 there is a teeny weenie little catch. Have you fired up the "print services for macintosh" (not too sure how it is worded in english) in the install/remove windows components under system setup?

post #4 of 10 Old Oct 6th, 2011, 10:15 am

Look for a program called Bonjour. It makes the PC/Mac connection a lot easier.

'99K1200LT - "Bertha" - gone, but not forgotten!
'86 Concours - "Horse with no name" (under reconstructive surgery)
'06 K1200GT - "Road Rocket"
Marshall, Tx

post #5 of 10 Old Oct 6th, 2011, 11:46 am
Lifetime Supporter

I don't have a lot current experience here, been a long time since I had to manage a heterogeneousness network and I don't envy you. You might want to look at is using WebDav for personal folders, works well on IIS 7 at least with the Microsoft WebDav client, not sure how Mac will work, but it is supposed to be standards based on both sides.....

http://learn.iis.net/page.aspx/350/i...bdav-on-iis-7/

This site also looks like it has a lot of good information on AD and Mac clients....
http://www.macwindows.com/snowleopardAD.html

-Preston
‘02 K1200 LTC | ’94 K75 RT | '02 R1150 GS

post #6 of 10 Old Oct 6th, 2011, 12:11 pm
BMW Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPSpen
Ok. One of my schools got a new principal who decided we needed to chuck all the XP boxes and get new Imacs for the computer lab...

I now officially hate macs...

Oh yeah, But let's not get a mac server. Let's get a Windows 2008R2 server and try to get the macs working with it...

I am about disgusted with this whole thing and am considering recommending this customer find a Mac Spert...

Can anybody give me any insight as to how to get these things working with the 2008 server ??

I can bind them to the DC just fine. And I can see shares and printers and what not, But this customer wants Network Home Folders and I can't seem to get that to even approach working..

Do I have to have a "Golden Triangle" setup before this is going to work ?

Anybody have any experience with this ?

I'm about ready to give this whole thing the "Golden Showers" treatment..

Thanks,

John
I'm not much of a computer guy...Like my MacBook but it's really not better than the Toshiba/Windows it replaced.

So you're trying to put a Chevy engine in a Ford and you hate the Ford because it's some how it's fault??

2007 G650 X Challenge
2006 GT200
2005 R1200GS

post #7 of 10 Old Oct 6th, 2011, 2:51 pm Thread Starter

I can't tell you how many white papers I've read on doing this stuff in the last month...
The problem with most of the mac/windows integration is their is way, way too much incorrect information out there.. By the time you've figured out this guy's solution doesn't work, You've wasted a day scratching your head..

The AD connector in Snow Leopard works fine as far as connecting.. But getting server based apps to run so far has been "interesting" ...And the network home folders just doesn't work..

Today I'm stripping out a G5 OSX server that was given to the school by another school..

I've got it down to the basic stand alone server and renamed now.. Hopefully I'll be able to bind it to AD and setup the "Golden Triangle"... If that doesn't work I'm cutting my losses on this one..

John

Live and direct from the new earthquake capitol of the U.S. Jones, Oklahoma
08 Can-Am Spyder (Miss Lindy's)
03 R1200CLC Capri Blue "Flipper"

01 R1100RT Glacier Blue "Lucky"
91 R100GS "It'sNotAMoneyPit"
The voices in my head may not be real, But they have some good ideas!

"I like the wind in my face and Boobies on my back. No, Wait, I got that backwards"

post #8 of 10 Old Oct 6th, 2011, 3:50 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Good luck as I said before no envy here, when I did this I had to deal with Appletalk and Windows, not fun.... Isn't this stuff supposed to get easier? Maybe when the Saint Steve Jobs you can pray to him for connectivity.

-Preston

-Preston
‘02 K1200 LTC | ’94 K75 RT | '02 R1150 GS

post #9 of 10 Old Oct 6th, 2011, 4:43 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by palarimer
Good luck as I said before no envy here, when I did this I had to deal with Appletalk and Windows, not fun.... Isn't this stuff supposed to get easier? Maybe when the Saint Steve Jobs you can pray to him for connectivity.

-Preston
Appletalk? And the good 'ol days of DB9 connectors with PhoneNet, ADB keybords and a dinosaurs backbone of agb dongles
post #10 of 10 Old Oct 6th, 2011, 9:46 pm

Calm down, there is help out there

http://www.afp548.com/
This community has been on the bleeding edge of Mac to Windblows server integration for years. If someone there can't fix it, it can't be fixed. the folks at MacWindows are great too.

Don't even bother with Mac printing or AFP file sevices, they are pretty outdated. Macs handle CIFS and SMB file sharing just fine. Windows or TCP printing work great too.
No need to mess with the services you provide for Windows users to provide for the Macs.

I don't currently provide home directories to the Macs, I just give them a mount to their home directory on the 2008R2 server. Might look into it if I ever have time.

2002 K1200LTC Ocean Blue

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in