Underwater photos from the Galapagos - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old Oct 1st, 2011, 4:18 pm Thread Starter

Underwater photos from the Galapagos

I just returned from a great trip to the Galapagos Islands. Some of you have been interested in my underwater photography over the years, and you can see photos and read about it at: http://bruceyates.blogspot.com/

This was my favorite photo from the trip, probably because it was an amazing experience - we were diving on a ledge about 50 feet deep watching a squadron of spotted eagle rays gliding along on the current when about twenty hammerheads came rushing through the scene. VERY cool (and adrenaline-inducing)!

Bruce Yates - Y3K on board!
Bellevue, WA (near sunny Seattle
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
)
2013 dark graphite K1600GTL "Tiger Shark"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(RIP - totaled by idiot cage driver)

2000 K1200LTc "Salsa" (sold to my buddy, Mel)
2012 midnight blue Vespa GTS 300ie (Cheri's)

(photography)

(new blog)

2001 CCR - Hot Springs, AR
2002 CCR - Santa Fe, NM
2003 CCR - Gatlinburg, TN
2004 CCR - Breckenridge, CO
2005 CCR - Jackson Hole, WY
2006 CCR - Braselton, GA
2009 CCR - Rapid City, SD
2011 CCR - Boise, ID

"If at first you don't succeed, try try again. Then quit. No use being a damned fool about it." WC Fields
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old Oct 1st, 2011, 4:28 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Re: Underwater photos from the Galapagos

Now that is COOL! Awesome photography!

Life happens...you control your reaction.

2017 KTM 350 EXC-F (single track monster)
2018 Honda CRF250L Rally (fun on the fire roads)
2015 R1200 RT (holy cow…what a bike)
2007 K1200 LT (sold)
2005 DR 650 (sold)
2002 Harley Ultra (sold)
1999 Harley Road King (sold)
1996 K1100 LT (sold)
1990 Honda Shadow (sold)
1978-1993 Raising Kids; Paying Mortgages
1975 Honda CB550 (sold but wish I still had)
Homemade Motor Bike (mounted a 3.5 HP Briggs & Stratton on my bicycle at age 12)
post #3 of 11 Old Oct 1st, 2011, 10:54 pm

Excellent website Bruce. Great captions too.

Brian Ley
WA State of mindless sheep
USA where everything is illegal
2007 K1200GT
2010 650GS
2000 k1200LT Sold but not forgotten
BMWOA 119892

post #4 of 11 Old Oct 2nd, 2011, 12:12 pm

Wow, I've heard that Hammerheads are not very "human friendly". I think I would have peed my wet suit.

"Like Butt-ahh!"
post #5 of 11 Old Oct 2nd, 2011, 12:52 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonKMiller
Wow, I've heard that Hammerheads are not very "human friendly". I think I would have peed my wet suit.
There are two types of hammerheads, Ron. The schooling type we saw are scalloped hammerheads, and they're not considered dangerous to humans/divers. The other type is the Great hammerhead; it tends to be a loner and is seen (if ever) only one at a time, and is considerably larger and more dangerous (in fact, it is the longest type of shark - growing to as much as twenty feet!). I've only ever seen one great hammerhead, and that was in the Bahamas. If I ever saw several of the THEM headed towards me, I too would pee my suit!

Interestingly, the same is true of barracudas. The schooling type are not dangerous, whereas the "loners" found in the Caribbean (coincidentally also known as Great barracuda) are rather schizo, and have been known to attack humans on numerous occasions (especially women wearing jewelry/earrings, which look amazingly similar to fishing lures). The loners make me nervous, whereas I've swam right into huge schools of barracuda on numerous occasions, such as this:

)

(photography)

(new blog)

2002 CCR - Santa Fe, NM
2006 CCR - Braselton, GA
2011 CCR - Boise, ID

"If at first you don't succeed, try try again. Then quit. No use being a damned fool about it." WC Fields
post #6 of 11 Old Oct 2nd, 2011, 3:35 pm

What an amazing trip that must have been. Thanks for the pics and the link to your site; it was very enjoyable!

Rudy
"Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened."

'03 BMW K1200LT (a keeper)
'08 BMW F800ST (fun fun fun)
'99 BMW R1100RT (sold her!)
'84 Honda Magna V45 (nice while she lasted)
'80 Yamaha YZ125 (rest her soul)
post #7 of 11 Old Oct 2nd, 2011, 8:06 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce_Yates
There are two types of hammerheads, Ron. The schooling type we saw are scalloped hammerheads, and they're not considered dangerous to humans/divers. The other type is the Great hammerhead; it tends to be a loner and is seen (if ever) only one at a time, and is considerably larger and more dangerous (in fact, it is the longest type of shark - growing to as much as twenty feet!). I've only ever seen one great hammerhead, and that was in the Bahamas. If I ever saw several of the THEM headed towards me, I too would pee my suit!

Interestingly, the same is true of barracudas. The schooling type are not dangerous, whereas the "loners" found in the Caribbean (coincidentally also known as Great barracuda) are rather schizo, and have been known to attack humans on numerous occasions (especially women wearing jewelry/earrings, which look amazingly similar to fishing lures). The loners make me nervous, whereas I've swam right into huge schools of barracuda on numerous occasions, such as this:
That's it! I'm ordering some Depends right NOW.

"Like Butt-ahh!"
post #8 of 11 Old Oct 3rd, 2011, 8:48 am

Barracuda are the cats of the sea.. Very curious creatures..

I looked around and found one looking over my shoulder once...He was a curious about me as I was afraid of him... Big teeth...

John

Live and direct from the new earthquake capitol of the U.S. Jones, Oklahoma
08 Can-Am Spyder (Miss Lindy's)
03 R1200CLC Capri Blue "Flipper"

01 R1100RT Glacier Blue "Lucky"
91 R100GS "It'sNotAMoneyPit"
The voices in my head may not be real, But they have some good ideas!

"I like the wind in my face and Boobies on my back. No, Wait, I got that backwards"

post #9 of 11 Old Oct 3rd, 2011, 9:12 am

I'm with Ron!

They belong in the deep water, not me!

Brett
2003 K1200LTC SOLD
2013 K1600GTL SOLD
2018 K1600GA SOLD
2019 K1600GA Blue

North Georgia

2005 CCR-Tetons
2006 CCR-Braselton
2008 CCR-Midway
2009 CCR-Rapid City
2011 CCR-Boise
2012 CCR-Duluth
2014 CCR-Chattanooga
2015 CCR-Coeur d 'Alene

post #10 of 11 Old Oct 3rd, 2011, 9:30 am

I love it when you go on on vacation. Thanks for the pix.

"BONES" <///><

2018 R1200RT
2002 K1200LTC--- Belle

"My wife and I have an understanding. I won't try to run her life and I won't try to run mine."
post #11 of 11 Old Oct 3rd, 2011, 11:40 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPSpen
Barracuda are the cats of the sea.. Very curious creatures..

I looked around and found one looking over my shoulder once...He was a curious about me as I was afraid of him... Big teeth...

John
Yes, one time in the Caribbean, I was swimming along alone on my way back to the boat, and noticed a huge (4-5 ft long) barracuda swimming parallel to me about 15 feet away. If I stopped, he stopped. If I turned he turned with me. Creeped me out. I've done roughly 1000 dives, and that is the ONLY time I've actually taken my knife out of its scabbord. Which is laughable in hindsight because if he'd actually attacked me I couldn't have reacted fast enough, but at the time it gave me some small sense of security holding it between me and him!

Barracuda are also the only fish I know that will play "chicken" with you. If you corner one in a ravine, and swim towards them, they'll swim towards you. You stop, they stop. You proceed, they proceed. Again, kinda creepy!

)

(photography)

(new blog)

2002 CCR - Santa Fe, NM
2006 CCR - Braselton, GA
2011 CCR - Boise, ID

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in