AT&T (rant) - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old Sep 25th, 2011, 7:24 am Thread Starter

AT&T (rant)

Wife notices on the monthly bill that by switching to uverse we can save $30 a month on our bill. She's all about saving a dollar so talks to the sales person and a big box appears on our door step.

Open it and follow directions. Pretty easy. Everything powers up but have to call a number to activate. Spend 20 minutes on hold and then speak to Ashok who I have a problem understanding. End up getting transfered to an English speaker.

After discussing Safari vs Explorer, I informed the manager I really did not care what his opinion of Safari was/is, thats what I use and make it work or it all goes back. An hour later we finally get back on the inter net.

Now to make the phone work, call another number, another 20 minute wait on hold listening to the virtues of uverse. Half the phones in the house don't work, no dial tone.

Next day fire up the laptop and go to Outlook and check e-mail on that account. All is good until I go to send. No joy. Back on the phone to tech support. This time a 30 minute wait on hold, again heard all about the virtues of uverse. After getting shuffled around some, end up being informed that yes there is an issue, yes they know what it is but I need to give them a credit card number and they will help me. Informed the manager that as their equipment caused my e-mail to stop working, they are now responsible for getting it back to working order. They wouldn't budge and neither would I.

Told them to switch me back to DSL, they were getting their uverse stuff back. OK but there is a fee to switch back and I would be without phone and internet for 10 to 14 days while this took place.

That's it AT&T you are fired!

Ended up talking to a manager after another 20 minute wait on hold and they will switch me back at no charge and will not loose service, all phones should now be working.

Phones that did work now don't, the ones that did work not don't.

Done with that level of arrogance, incompetency and poor customer service/support.

State Utilities Commission getting a complaint.

Rant over.

Now time to find another ISP and phone provider, no need for all the other extras they bundle. Fios and RoadRunner not available out here, I live out in the sticks.

Suggestions?

B D R
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old Sep 25th, 2011, 9:16 am

Re: AT&T (rant)

Wildblue or hughesnet for internet, paid to have cable run to the house so now have Timewarner for internet. Dont like their programming for tv.
Direct tv for tv,
verizon for cell phones
used to have vonage for home, but never used it much, so dont have home phone anymore.

Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes it is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying " I'll try again tomorrow".

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 10 Old Sep 25th, 2011, 9:52 am
Cat Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunny
Suggestions?
Since you do have DSL available to you just for internet I would suggest that you get a local small ISP. Usually there are a number of smaller companies that are providing DSL services. These smaller companies as a rule of thumb do care about customers better than the big ones.

I had pretty much the same experience, just with Comcast. Switched to a local ISP (who BTW also hosts this very server) and problems are gone. Should I need help I can choose to either call and immediately get a human being here in town or send an email and usually get an answer in two hours written by a human being.

If you so choose I can send you the name of the company and since you are in an ATT area they may be able to help you, but I'm not certain.

Problem solved.

Andreas Pleschutznig
'14 GSAW soon:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still in search of Occam's razor to cut a Gordian knot.

post #4 of 10 Old Sep 25th, 2011, 11:12 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy
Since you do have DSL available to you just for internet I would suggest that you get a local small ISP. Usually there are a number of smaller companies that are providing DSL services. These smaller companies as a rule of thumb do care about customers better than the big ones.

I had pretty much the same experience, just with Comcast. Switched to a local ISP (who BTW also hosts this very server) and problems are gone. Should I need help I can choose to either call and immediately get a human being here in town or send an email and usually get an answer in two hours written by a human being.

If you so choose I can send you the name of the company and since you are in an ATT area they may be able to help you, but I'm not certain.

Problem solved.
If available, I would also highly recommend a local ISP provider. We also live in an "un-serviced" area and internet connections can be difficult to find. We tried Wild Blue, but found it not working more than it was working (also related to cloudiness in the Pacific Northwest). We switched to a local provider and have been very pleased, both with the actual service and also, as Andy states, with the level of customer service in the event of a problem. They also recently updated their hardware and have tripled our speed (don't get excited here...we are now at 3 Megs download speed...not exactly state of the art but better than anything else we've had). We love living in a rural environment, but there is a sacrifice when it comes to connectivity. Personally, I would like to see an FCC requirement for connecting rural customer base if a company wants to service an urban area as well. I know, I know, I'm in the minority here, I chose to live here, etc......

We also use Verizon for our wireless service and have generally been very pleased with the coverage. I've had AT&T in the past and found the coverage to be spotty at best, especially when you get away from urban centers.

Life happens...you control your reaction.

2017 KTM 350 EXC-F (single track monster)
2018 Honda CRF250L Rally (fun on the fire roads)
2015 R1200 RT (holy cow…what a bike)
2007 K1200 LT (sold)
2005 DR 650 (sold)
2002 Harley Ultra (sold)
1999 Harley Road King (sold)
1996 K1100 LT (sold)
1990 Honda Shadow (sold)
1978-1993 Raising Kids; Paying Mortgages
1975 Honda CB550 (sold but wish I still had)
Homemade Motor Bike (mounted a 3.5 HP Briggs & Stratton on my bicycle at age 12)
post #5 of 10 Old Sep 25th, 2011, 12:06 pm

It's unfortunate that "Tier 1" Tech support really isn't a tech at all just somebody reading from a script on a computer screen...

I always immediately ask for Tier 2 support.....Then you usually get someone who at least knows what a computer is and maybe a little about how it works...

Most companies are that way these days....

If they're not speaking Amerikan English I always ask for Tier 2.

John

Live and direct from the new earthquake capitol of the U.S. Jones, Oklahoma
08 Can-Am Spyder (Miss Lindy's)
03 R1200CLC Capri Blue "Flipper"

01 R1100RT Glacier Blue "Lucky"
91 R100GS "It'sNotAMoneyPit"
The voices in my head may not be real, But they have some good ideas!

"I like the wind in my face and Boobies on my back. No, Wait, I got that backwards"

post #6 of 10 Old Sep 25th, 2011, 12:55 pm Thread Starter

Thanks. Going to do exactly that. Local ISP that does DSL and then get a Magic Jack from Walgreen for phone. I never use it but the wife does.

Problem solved and total bill reduced by over half.

Now when that contract for the cell phone runs out, they'll loose that revenue stream also.

Anyone got a good way to get out of a cell phone contract without paying early termination?

B D R
post #7 of 10 Old Sep 25th, 2011, 1:26 pm

Went through that same scenario with Quest. Had high speed, got slower and slower, they arbitrarily changed my phone # to one previously held by some clown that must owe money to half the universe. Got fed up, dumped the land line and high speed, went to cell phones and a local wireless internet provider. Saved about $70 a month and have faster internet. Sure don't miss the calls on the hard line anymore.
Go local.
post #8 of 10 Old Sep 25th, 2011, 2:35 pm

Hopefully you have a better experience with majic crap than I did.

Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes it is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying " I'll try again tomorrow".

post #9 of 10 Old Sep 27th, 2011, 3:11 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheldan2
hughesnet for internet
I would avoid this company like the plague. Good friend of mine who lives out in the sticks signed up with them. After spending $600 for their equipment, he came home one evening to find out that after one of his sons had downloaded 2 or 3 skateboarding videos he was capped until midnight. Had several back & forth debates with the company. They said, "but you are using all your bandwidth all the time." He would say, "but that is what I'm paying for." They cancelled him. Don't recall if he got any money back out of the equipment or not. I don't think they charge for the equipment anymore, but if you do more than just surf, you're gonna get capped. He finally switched to a local xm-wireless provider and is now a happy camper. JM2C

BMW 1200 LTC 2002

Illinois...The Only State Where The Governors Make The License Plates
post #10 of 10 Old Sep 27th, 2011, 5:57 pm Thread Starter

This is turning out to be a real opportunity.

Got to talking with an old friend who just happens to own a local ISP company. He's looking to expand his coverage foot print (wireless).

I just happen to have a 60' tower in my back yard. Seems a lot of amateur radio operators have them.

Being in the generator business, also just happen to have a standby generator that powers up the house when the power goes out. Plenty big enough to backup just a little more equipment.

Going to work out a deal, he gets tower space to mount a repeater, with emergency power backup. I get a pretty good deal on internet.

Kiss my ass AT&T.

Now if I can get out of the cell phone contract a little early.

B D R

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in