credit card while traveling - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 Old Sep 11th, 2011, 7:50 am Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

credit card while traveling

Ladies and gentlemen
I am having an on-going problem purchasing fuel while traveling..............
I call American Express before leaving to confirm that I will be purchasing small amounts of fuel frequently, where I'm going etc.........................................
At some point on every trip, the pump says "see cashier"
Now....American Express has, they say, approved the purchase but some other entity wants me to "see cashier."
"cashier" can only charge a stated prepay amount...................................
so...how much gas will fit........hmmmm..... once I over estimated and "cashier" refused to issue a credit but I could "purchase a gas can and take the rest with me..........
so my only option nis to under estimate and.....stop more for fuel.
American Express says they approve all my purchases......................but.......once this happens on a trip, it is that way at every station I stop at...............................................
I did get it fixed last time when a representative said "I'll fix it and call you back."
She did and all was well untill this trip.........................
Now representative could not fix, supervisor could not fix........don't know name of person that fixed...................................
What do Y'all know ??????

Allan..Illinois, Oregon, Arkansas, and tomorrow the Universe
2003 K1200LT trike - Starfighter
2004 R1150RTP - Combat Touring
IBA #38152
BMW-MOA 97667
Patriot Guard Riders
...and man of leisure

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 Old Sep 11th, 2011, 8:11 am

Re: credit card while traveling

Happens to my gas cards too (don't use my amex). Use the gas cards more than twice in 24 hours they want you to go in to sign for it to prove the card is in your possession. Sometimes they ask for you to enter the zip code in the key pad. In the past I tried calling customer service too but results varied by the skill and knowledge of the CSR. Even bumped up to service supervisor, then manager. It was like talking to a brick wall they just don't understand travel by motorcycle with small fuel tank. Unfortunately that is also the criminal profile to use small purchases more frequently to try not to attract attention. My work around is multiple gas and credit cards and spread it around to avoid using one card more than twice that day.

Just Go
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mike
Cleveland Ohio
2019 K1600b Grand America, Blue Max.
post #3 of 25 Old Sep 11th, 2011, 8:20 am
Lifetime Supporter

I used to have that problem 10-12 years ago with my MC. Since I've started using a MC Debit Card I've never been called to the "cashier" no matter how many times a day I use it. I save my regular MC for emergencies and large purchases during the trip. Might be worth a try- just be sure there's sufficient funds baking up the DC.

Matt
95 Honda Magna (sold)
97 R1100RT (sold)
00 LTc, Canyon Red "Tarkus" (sold)
01 F650GS (wifey's, sold)
01 Ducati S4 Monster "LittleOne"
04 R1150RT (turned to scrap)
99 R1100RT Tundra Green
Kalamazoo, MI
"Worry does not rob tomorrow of it's sorrow. It saps the strength of today."

post #4 of 25 Old Sep 11th, 2011, 8:43 am

I use my VISA debit card for all purchases, never a problem even for 2 gallon of gas for the mower. I am experiencing being asked for my zip code at the pump more frequently.

Toss the AMEX

Bill
Eastern Virginia (Middle Peninsula)
K3ZXV
05 Honda Sabre 1100
04 Triumph Speedmaster , Black with
California Sidecar Friendship II
99 K1200LT, Basalt Gray "DELILAH" (SOLD)
99 R1100RT ,Glacier Green (SOLD
)
post #5 of 25 Old Sep 11th, 2011, 8:46 am
Lifetime Supporter

I did an iron butt yesterday and had that problem for the first time, at the end of the trip, at the last and final "time stamp" fill-up. Had to go inside for card verification.

I like the tip about using two cards and possibly a debit card, even though I don't use a debit card for purchases. Maybe gas will be the exception.

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)
post #6 of 25 Old Sep 11th, 2011, 9:11 am

A long trip with many closely spaced fuel stops sends off all kinds of fraud alerts at the card companies. Also, if you are traveling at superlegal speeds, this can throw an alert, too. With all the credit card fraud occurring, I like that they are being cautious and simply carry a couple of cards, just in case.
post #7 of 25 Old Sep 11th, 2011, 9:15 am

Ron here: This year I have done two trips to Dallas from Boise area, about 20 stops for gas each trip so around 40 stops stays in motels & food, all on the same visa debit card no problems other than unit specific problems (their equipment not my card). About half time asked for zip code, I do carry a couple of other cards ( one is hidden on the bike) in case of loss or other issues but have not had to use them. Mix of stations as you can't always get your normal brand I try to stay with Shell because I like their premium grade. I have never had to call and let anyone know I'm traveling even last year when I went to Canada for two weeks. Take care ride safe. Ron

09 LT
07 500 Vulcan (sweetie's)
94 R1100RS
96 DR650
post #8 of 25 Old Sep 11th, 2011, 10:08 am

I do not use my debit card for two reasons, first with the increased account hacking at pumps, I do not want to place my bank account in jeopardy. Second, gas stations are permitted to, and frequently do, place a hold on funds over and above the gas purchase until the transaction goes through. So I prefer to use my American Express and I also carry a Visa card as a back-up. I only had one problem with American Express years ago while riding a Bun Burner Gold. Prior to my trip I called, as you did, advising them of my travel plans and to make their security aware. After my third gas purchase, my card was declined. It was all straightened out and I have never had a problem since. It certainly is prudent to carry at least one back-up card.

Regards & Ride Safe!

Bruce
'09 Black LT
4-Wheels moves the body, 2-wheels moves the soul.
IBA # 8547
post #9 of 25 Old Sep 11th, 2011, 10:27 am
Lifetime Supporter

Not only to the credit card companies have anti-theft measures, so do the gasoline companies, who are the ones getting stuck with the bill if they authorise your stolen card. And, as I found out, repeatedly, one Sunday morning in Montrose CO, a company like Philips 66 may supply gas and payment services not only to "66" branded stations, but independents, such as convenience stores, as well.

I found this out after calling my credit card company, Discover in this case, to get my card unlocked, and finding out they weren't the ones putting the hold on it. I went across the street and had no problems.

Motor On ,/'

post #10 of 25 Old Sep 11th, 2011, 10:53 am

Since the bank debacle of 2008, I told the card companies to piss off. I use cash.
I keep cards only for emergencies.

David Falkenstein

Cohesive Technology - seamless is everything

P: (603) 283-7624
post #11 of 25 Old Sep 11th, 2011, 11:04 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatzo
Toss the AMEX
And call and tell them why first, while you're still a customer.

Chris Ehlbeck
2002 BMW K1200LTE Toscana Green Retired with 85,391 miles
2014 BMW R1200RT Quartz Blue Metallic

post #12 of 25 Old Sep 11th, 2011, 11:13 am
Lifetime Supporter

I had that problem once. Since then I always call the US Bank Visa customer rep and let them know of my plans to be out of town. Haven't had any trouble since.

David Hogerheide

2015 K1600GTL

2009 K1200LT (traded for GTL)
1984 Kawasaki Spectre: long gone
BMWMOA# 163123
BMWRA member
AMA member
Saddle sore 1000 Sept 2011
Bun Burner 1500 Sept 2011

CCR 2012 Duluth, MN
CCR 2014 Chattanooga, TN

post #13 of 25 Old Sep 11th, 2011, 1:21 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by CohesiveTechnology
Since the bank debacle of 2008, I told the card companies to piss off. I use cash.
I keep cards only for emergencies.
I had to make a fuel stop in a town called Potter. They had two gas stations one was Texaco which was very closed. The other was Cenex, and would only do credit card transactions. They had a sign 'absolutely no cash gas sales'. ??? What is that all about?

Just Go

Mike
Cleveland Ohio
2019 K1600b Grand America, Blue Max.
post #14 of 25 Old Sep 11th, 2011, 1:30 pm
Ted

The problem is not the credit card company it is the gas company. I had a similar problem with AMEX and Chevron. I had to call Chevron and 'register' my AMEX card.

Ted

Camarillo, CA
2012 Ducati Multistrada 1200S - Red
2007 R1200S - Black - Sold
2003 K1200LTC - Silver - Sold
IBA# 16554

post #15 of 25 Old Sep 11th, 2011, 6:04 pm
Lifetime Supporter

I never had a problem with the credit card company. I had problems with the card it's self, on a trip to Inuvik NWT & Alaska in'07. Over half of the card readers would not read it. Almost every other time at a gas stop, they would stick my card in a plastic bag & hammer it thru there reader. They could have put the numbers in by hand in less that a minute , but they would spend 5 hammering it in there readers . My card looked bad by the time I got home. If I get to go out of town like that again , I will make sure my card is like new & in good working order.

Patric Blackman
2002 K1200LT/Hannigan2+2
2010 R1200GSA ...1987 Helix...
AMA Charter Lifemember
37 Year Member of both BMWMOA & BMWRA

post #16 of 25 Old Sep 11th, 2011, 9:13 pm

Would a pre-paid Visa Card or MC work? Load it up before your trip and uase it for fuel, food or whatever.

2006 K LT1200 Ridin'
2007 K GT1200 Sold
2005 ST 1100 Sold
1985 V65 1000 Magna Sold
1973 CB 750 4 Sold
1966 305 SuperHawk Sold
post #17 of 25 Old Sep 11th, 2011, 9:29 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwnahas
I had to make a fuel stop in a town called Potter. They had two gas stations one was Texaco which was very closed. The other was Cenex, and would only do credit card transactions. They had a sign 'absolutely no cash gas sales'. ??? What is that all about?
No cash - no robberies - no employee pilfering
post #18 of 25 Old Sep 11th, 2011, 9:58 pm

Here in Northern IL, more specifically in "Crook County" every gas station I stop at has pumps which ask for the billing zip code of my card. Seems a bit silly in my home town, but with all the credit card faud that does on in Chicago and the collar counties,it is not hard to understand them wanting ID of some sort, as they do get stuck.

Debit cards never ask, but the rules are less strict when you key your pin, providing a form of ID better than the billing zip code.

The biggest boon to credit card theft is the RFID chip, which one card vendor calls "blink" which when trigger, will broadcast the card number and an authentication code, which have been hijacked by "halo" triggers now that are not unlike the BMW GT key antenna. But these are generally small rings placed around card readers to trigger the Radio Frequency ID or RFID chip to give up the information. Different board originators have different trade names for them, but they are all susceptible to surreptitious readers. They exist on both debit, credit and some gas cards.

Prepaid debit cards may not help, as they have no ID and they have more fraud that almost any other type of card. But that does not mean you should not give it a try.

Yes, gas stations are allowed to place holds on funds and routinely do it just ilke motels do as they do not want to be the ones waiting in line if you overdraw your account. They end up often the cause of overdraft fees.

Mulltiple credit or bank cards help. I carry four, one a Visa card which works at most off brands that come to the rescue when the bike runs low on gas in rural areas.

Bill

wild bil
07 K1200LT Biarritz Blau
80 Yamaha XS850 Black - retired in 06
post #19 of 25 Old Sep 12th, 2011, 12:32 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildBil
The biggest boon to credit card theft is the RFID chip
So you'll have no problem supplying even one actual report of an RFID credit card theft, right?

"The Smart Card Alliance, an industry group, maintains that contactless card technology deployed by American Express, Discover, MasterCard, and Visa is secure and that there have been no reports of consumers being victimized. " Source: http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/m...ards/index.htm

There are heaps of security mechanisms associated with RFID enabled credit cards worked on by hundreds of scientists around the world. You're dreaming if you think Visa and American Express allow your credit information to be stolen so easily. They're the ones on the hook for fraudulent charges, not you.
post #20 of 25 Old Sep 12th, 2011, 8:36 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted
The problem is not the credit card company it is the gas company. I had a similar problem with AMEX and Chevron. I had to call Chevron and 'register' my AMEX card.
I agree with TED. Had this happen many many times and only with Chevron. Its their fraud policy not your banks.

Brian Ley
WA State of mindless sheep
USA where everything is illegal
2007 K1200GT
2010 650GS
2000 k1200LT Sold but not forgotten
BMWOA 119892
post #21 of 25 Old Sep 12th, 2011, 9:10 pm
Enjoy The Ride

You could always buy prepaid gas cards from several different gas stations like I do.

Dave Selvig
2004 Black LT
2000 Canon Red LT

post #22 of 25 Old Sep 13th, 2011, 5:38 am

Don't try to use more than two tanks of Shell gas in a day, or you're going to go see the lady inside.

Dave Hoogerland

'08 Triumph Tiger 1050 ABS
'02 K1200LTC "The Silver Snoopy" (gone but not forgotten)
'08 Can-Am Spyder "???"

post #23 of 25 Old Sep 13th, 2011, 6:36 am
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car

This also happened to me with my AMX on the first trip on the LT 6 years ago. After that I always called AMX & told them my route & to look for lots of small fuel buys & hotels. I only had 1 problem after that. It was at a Mobil station in OK city. The pump told me to go inside & pay so I did. It was the end of the day & I was across the street from my hotel. By the time I got into my room AMX had called me to ask if I had just bought $100.00 in gas. Seams the station did not "Pre-Authorize" the sale but out right charged my card for $100.00. By the time I got home the next day AMX had refunded me the full $100.00 plus later that week AMX told me that this station had done this many times before & had pulled their AMX account.

Stevie Shreeve
post #24 of 25 Old Sep 13th, 2011, 8:39 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog
So you'll have no problem supplying even one actual report of an RFID credit card theft, right?

"The Smart Card Alliance, an industry group, maintains that contactless card technology deployed by American Express, Discover, MasterCard, and Visa is secure and that there have been no reports of consumers being victimized. " Source: http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/m...ards/index.htm

There are heaps of security mechanisms associated with RFID enabled credit cards worked on by hundreds of scientists around the world. You're dreaming if you think Visa and American Express allow your credit information to be stolen so easily. They're the ones on the hook for fraudulent charges, not you.

I assume you are kidding, right?

wild bil
07 K1200LT Biarritz Blau
80 Yamaha XS850 Black - retired in 06
post #25 of 25 Old Sep 13th, 2011, 10:56 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildBil
I assume you are kidding, right?
You would assume wrong. I asked to see some basis for your assertion that "The biggest boon to credit card theft is the RFID chip", and I provided a link to an industry group that claims there's never been an actual loss. Feel free to provide your own sources which prove otherwise.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in