New Cell Phone - Suggestions - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 38 Old Sep 8th, 2011, 8:50 pm Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

New Cell Phone - Suggestions

Need your advice and suggestions regarding a new cell phone.

Our contract is up and we are exchanging our POS Blackberries for something else. Our needs are simple. We don’t need/want something with all the latest bells and whistles, just interested in a quality phone (we’re staying with Verizon) that lets us see emails that also go to our home email address; occasionally, compose an emails. We rarely send a text message. We don’t need apps, although we might start using them some day.

The first question seems to be Android OS v. iPhone. We went to the local Verizon store today and there are numerous Android phone models. Of course, only the 1 iPhone.

Appreciate your comments/suggestions.

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2009 BMW K1200LT - 60k miles
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)
2005 BMW K1200LT - "Gray Ghost", traded at 120k miles
2005 Honda Shadow 650 (sold)
AMA, IBA, BMW MOA. CCRs: Braselton 2006, Osage Beach 2007, Duluth 2012

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
[/URL]
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 Old Sep 8th, 2011, 9:00 pm
Cooler on the east coast!!!

Re: New Cell Phone - Suggestions

Iphone hands down, in my opinion.

G-Glove
2003 Silver LTC
post #3 of 38 Old Sep 8th, 2011, 9:03 pm
Lifetime Supporter

I'm with Verizon and I have a HTC incredible. I'm about due and they just came out with a new one called the bionic that also has the capability to dock to a laptop like screen and keyboard. I like the incredible and my stepdaughter likes her HTC thunderbolt. I'm probably going to upgrade to a bionic but I probably won't get the screen thing. Of course the new Incredible 2 is a pretty nice phone. I have no desire to I-phone and the androids seem to be able to do anything my friends I-phones do,

post #4 of 38 Old Sep 8th, 2011, 9:43 pm
Jim
Slow Old Guy

Yep, iPhone.

Even if you never do anything else but use it as a phone it is great. Very well built. Clear screen for reading text or looking at pics. I have a few apps and they all seem to work. I am not texting, listening to music or generally playing with it all day like the kids do so the battery lasts a couple of days.

It is the only Apple product that I have so the idea of having an itunes account to be able to use the phone was a bit strange to me but it is all part of the deal.

Now my wife wants one.

Jim Anderson
Idyllwild, CA
'04 Ural Tourist
'08 Tiger
post #5 of 38 Old Sep 8th, 2011, 9:48 pm

I love the fascinate for the awesome screen. But for ease of use cosider the iphone and some good bifocals.

Just Go

Mike
Cleveland Ohio
2019 K1600b Grand America, Blue Max.
post #6 of 38 Old Sep 8th, 2011, 10:05 pm

Another vote for the iPhone. I'm a dyed in the wool PC guy and would probably never buy a Mac. But I gotta say, the iPhone works and works intuitively. It just does what you want; be it a simple phone call, or looking for a restaurant.
post #7 of 38 Old Sep 8th, 2011, 11:31 pm

iPhone
post #8 of 38 Old Sep 8th, 2011, 11:48 pm

I picked up the new Droid Bionic today, pretty awsome, very fast, but for what you need in your description, you might want to wait for the iphone 5,

Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes it is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying " I'll try again tomorrow".

post #9 of 38 Old Sep 8th, 2011, 11:53 pm

iPhone without question. While many push the Android as comparable one must question why they have a new model every 2 months? Killer, Bionic, super duper, come on already! The iPhone has always been the iPhone. It works and works well. You don't have to be an apple fan to appreciate something that works. A Hyosung is a nice motorcycle, why do you drive a BMW? It's a Quality product! Rant over.

Your friend Steve Jobs.

K1200lt 08'
post #10 of 38 Old Sep 8th, 2011, 11:56 pm

Forgot to mention, if your budget conscience the iPhone 5 is coming out in September so the iPhone 4 will be offered by Verizon, ATT, T-Mobile, and Sprint for a Steal! Good Luck.
post #11 of 38 Old Sep 9th, 2011, 12:19 am

Wink Re: New Cell Phone - Suggestions

Another + for the iPhone is that it is so intuitive. I never texted until I had the iPhone because I just was not sure how. The iPhone is loaded with easy to understand icons on the screen which will make sense as soon as you see them.

John

John & Marilyn Fisher
'00 K1200LTC "Katie"
'95 Triumph "Tigger"
'12 Triumph 800XC "Tigger II" (RIP)
'12 Triumph 1200 Explorer "Shadow Tigger"
Hillsboro, Oregon

post #12 of 38 Old Sep 9th, 2011, 6:11 am
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car

HTC Droid here. I am also with Verizon & love the coverage they provide. Even is some very remote areas on my trip last week I had service. I bought my HTC before Verizon had IPhones But I do not think I would switch from the Droid.

Stevie Shreeve
post #13 of 38 Old Sep 9th, 2011, 6:15 am
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yelobird
iPhone without question. While many push the Android as comparable one must question why they have a new model every 2 months? Killer, Bionic, super duper, come on already! The iPhone has always been the iPhone. It works and works well. You don't have to be an apple fan to appreciate something that works. A Hyosung is a nice motorcycle, why do you drive a BMW? It's a Quality product! Rant over.

Your friend Steve Jobs.

K1200lt 08'
Not quite true. The "Name" has been the same but 1 was different then 2 which was different from 3 & so on. Droids just use a different "Name" for the next model instead of just adding a number to the same name.

Stevie Shreeve
post #14 of 38 Old Sep 9th, 2011, 10:32 am

Steve you are correct but my math still states the point. As of April 11 (and still climbing) there are 42 Android phones in the market competing against basically the iPhone. Call it iPhone 1-5 which are basically the same phone just slightly refined.
post #15 of 38 Old Sep 9th, 2011, 11:27 am

I have a Verizon account and a Droid X. Used to be a great phone, and then Verizon updated it with their version of Android's Gingerbread O/S. It has been flakey ever since and a great advertisement for the iPhone.

If you go with any smart phone, go with the iPhone. There are many better Android phones (HTC comes to mind) but there is a long history intuitive design and reliability in the iPhone. However, both phones mean you will be paying Verizon for some sort of data plan, and you starting this thread asking for simple.

Simple, non-smartphones are quickly becoming a niche market. You are probably talk ins something from LG at the Cosmos. It has no 3G / 4G. It does a a weak browser that can cause data charges, but its slow enough you will not want to spend much time on it.

It does text, has a nicer camera than my Droid X if you want to snap pictures of your bike or hawt wife/girlfriend. But there are only a few low-end phones left. (The carriers all want the data plan dollars.)

I recommend going to a large, company owned Verizon store if you can find one nearby. Take a look at that they have The low end phones will be clustered together, and there will be more of them than at strip mall stores. If you do not have a company store nearby, log into http://www.verizonwireless.com and go to the device upgrade page. They have filters to help you find non-smart phones.

For simple, go with the iPhone. For cheap and simple, go with the low end LG Cosmos or similar model. You might want to try a Droid, but Google is aiming to lock them down just as tight as the iPhone. They seem to want to nullify the advantages that the Droid market has. Rihgt now, It is next to impossible to root a non-rooted Gingerbread Android phone, and from the spec, the IceCreamSandwhich version of the O/S is going to be even tighter. If you want to be very afraid, spend some time browsing http://www.droidforums.net and see why the interests are. I am the biggest geek I know, and some of those posts are beyond me.

There are now more Apps on the Android Market that the iPhone App store. There is very little control of what posts there, so not much prevents malware from creeping into a small percentage of them. There are few, if any Apple App store infections, but you pay for that by having to live with Apple examining every application, which takes longer, and excludes some for their own business reasons. Apple has a rigorous (some say ridiculous) control over the GUI and they live to make it simple in intuitive. Whether you like it or now.

iPhones take the best pictures. But I have the perpetually blurry Droid X.

The Android Phone market is unfortunately the clear leader in malicious software, which ranges from spam worms to viruses to bluetooth exploits. The iPhone has a few, and both browsers can get you into trouble, just like the one on your desktop can.

Bill

Bill

wild bil
07 K1200LT Biarritz Blau
80 Yamaha XS850 Black - retired in 06
post #16 of 38 Old Sep 9th, 2011, 12:50 pm

My girlfriend was using my old iPhone 2 until it finally started acting up. I bought her the HTC Inspire. She liked it because of the slightly bigger screen, but after about 6 months of use, she wishes she had her iPhone back. Her dislikes? No visual voicemail and the keypad/keyboard is too sensitive for her liking. She does like that the browser when zoomed in will wrap the text. The iPhone will not. You have to scroll across to read the whole page.

I've played with her HTC and I'm not convinced it's for me. I have the iPhone4 and really like it. About the only thing (ok, 2 things) that really aggravates me about the iPhone is no Flash support and iTunes.

I'm going to try and fix that visual voicemail thing by tying her phone to Google Voice and just drop the AT&T voicemail.

'99K1200LT - "Bertha" - gone, but not forgotten!
'86 Concours - "Horse with no name" (under reconstructive surgery)
'06 K1200GT - "Road Rocket"
Marshall, Tx

post #17 of 38 Old Sep 9th, 2011, 7:54 pm

iPhone. Got one. like it, would get another if this one died.

B D R
post #18 of 38 Old Sep 9th, 2011, 9:33 pm

I was a PC. I hated everything Apple related...iTunes included. I was not a big fan of the grip of control they had over everything they did...

I had a Droid Incredible on Verizon. Loved it. Great phone, great features, decent apps...but I had nothing to compare I to...my first smart phone was a Windows piece of junk. So this was a HUGE upgrade.

Then I got the iPhone 4 when it came over to Verizon. I can't really say what made me give it a chance. But I did...and all I can say is wow. I bought one for my wife...we also both have iPads now too (I'm typing this post on one matter of fact) and I also got a MacBook Pro for my office.

I'm now a Mac because of the iPhone. As Steve Jobs says quite often, "It just works."

Go with the iPhone. You won't be disappointed.

Associate Pastor, Pickens, SC
Director of F.A.I.T.H. Riders Ministry at my church

'07 BMW R1200GS Adventure - White (easily my favorite bike to date!)
'07 Honda Gold Wing - Metallic Silver
'99 BMW K1200LT - White
'06 Yamaha V-Star - 1100 Midnight Custom
'03 Yamaha FJR1300
'04 Yamaha V-Star - 1100 Classic
'99 Honda Shadow 750
'90 Honda Shadow VLX
post #19 of 38 Old Sep 10th, 2011, 7:36 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by hschisler
Need your advice and suggestions regarding a new cell phone.

Our contract is up and we are exchanging our POS Blackberries for something else. Our needs are simple. We don’t need/want something with all the latest bells and whistles, just interested in a quality phone (we’re staying with Verizon) that lets us see emails that also go to our home email address; occasionally, compose an emails. We rarely send a text message. We don’t need apps, although we might start using them some day.

The first question seems to be Android OS v. iPhone. We went to the local Verizon store today and there are numerous Android phone models. Of course, only the 1 iPhone.

Appreciate your comments/suggestions.
Being a simple person who has no need for nick knacks and taddy wacks I removed all the radios, cd players n such off my 2000 K1200, 'taint no need in carrying all that extra crap around if you aint gonna use it now is there. Cell phone--I recon someone would want a cell phone so he could make and receive telephone calls, with that said I got myself a Tracfone, cost $10.00 per month and yes it will allow me to call anywhere, anyone at anytime, it also receives phone calls too, if there is a tower handy and usually there is.

Sonny
post #20 of 38 Old Sep 10th, 2011, 2:54 pm Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Thank you for your comments and suggestions. We're going tomorrow to exchange phones.
In case it wasn't clear from my original post, we already have a smart phone (Blackberry) and will be replacing it with another. There are times (daily) where I say out loud how much I hate cell phones, but that is due to dropped calls and poor call quality. We live in a rural area and it seems half our calls are of poor quality and require multiple calls to complete.

That said, we do like being able to receive emails during the day before we get home from work. Thus, another smart phone will be the next phone.

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)

[/URL]
post #21 of 38 Old Sep 10th, 2011, 3:27 pm

You dared to create this thread on release day of the Droid Bionic?!?!?

As a new owner of the Droid Bionic, AND a carrier of an iPhone (for work), there's only ONE phone to get at this time. The Droid Bionic on Verizon's network. Period.

As far as Apple products "just working" ... could someone tell me why only ONE of the SEVEN iPods that I've bought still work? SIX dead iPods! Unacceptable! But my old 486 PC (down in my basement) will still boot.

- Just Joe

(Current bikes)
  • 2001 BMW K1200LTC
  • 2010 Kawasaki Concours14
  • 1985 Honda V65 Magna
  • 2005 Harley V-Rod Chrome Edition
  • 2003 Harley V-Rod Anniversary Edition
post #22 of 38 Old Sep 10th, 2011, 3:37 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Howard,

I see lots of I like this phone but I think only Steve mentioned coverage, AT&T coverage is not as good as Verizon and their network is overloaded due to the iphone. That is the reason they are trying to by tmobil.

That being said the Verizon iphone will not work outside of the US, not sure about Canada, due to it using the older CDMA protocol.

Verizon is rolling out a 4G network but right now it is only in Urban areas, sounds like it will not help you.

So before you commit ask for a loner/trial phone to test the area you live in.

Good luck!

John Baker

2005 BMW K1200LT
1979 Suzuki GS1000E
1978 Honda CB350
1975 Suzuki GT380
post #23 of 38 Old Sep 10th, 2011, 3:42 pm

I say go for the iPhone. I was dead set against them even though I owned and still have three different iPods. I finally broke down and got the iPhone and it's perfect. I don't play games on it or anything but it is great for keeping me connected to my email. I also like to read a lot and if I don't have my computer or a book I can still read all of my ebooks on my iPhone. Even if you don't need all the apps right now, there is an app for everything. I downloaded a BMW app that shows where the best riding roads are based on your location. Tried it out and it was great. Found some curves finally in Florida. The IOS is made perfectly for the iPhone and works without a hitch also because Apple designed it specifically for that phone.

John

2000 BMW R1100RT
post #24 of 38 Old Sep 10th, 2011, 3:59 pm

Can you explain why you hated the iPod so much you bought Seven of them??? If true I would question how this does not fit in the "Fool me once, Fool me twice" category or how you take care of your electronics? Other than a failed battery I have yet to kill an iPod other than with neglect. One last point, Based on Less than One week of Bionic (or whatever the newest one is called) ownership you feel confident in telling others to buy it as the ONLY ONE? Do you sell for a living?

Quote:
Originally Posted by messenger13_ver2

As a new owner of the Droid Bionic, AND a carrier of an iPhone (for work), there's only ONE phone to get at this time. The Droid Bionic on Verizon's network. Period.

As far as Apple products "just working" ... could someone tell me why only ONE of the SEVEN iPods that I've bought still work? SIX dead iPods! Unacceptable! But my old 486 PC (down in my basement) will still boot.
post #25 of 38 Old Sep 10th, 2011, 6:46 pm

Quote:
Can you explain why you hated the iPod so much you bought Seven of them???
One for me, the wife, the son, and the daughter. That's 4. Then 3 more as the others started failing. Then I wised up and started buying Zunes and SanDisk players. Much easier to operate and ROCK SOLID. Not one failure since.

Quote:
If true I would question how this does not fit in the "Fool me once, Fool me twice" category
Oh, that is RICH!!! In a forum where the number one topic is BMW's failed final drives. Seems to me the motto around here is "Fool me once, whatever, fool me twice, whatever, and etc., and so on.".

Quote:
... or how you take care of your electronics?
I have a two-year old Droid that looks almost BRAND NEW. I still have the Motorola RAZR that I owned for years prior to that, and the previous LG VX4400 that is still functional. I still own all of the laptops that I've had since the mid-90s, and they all function as new. I'd say I can build a case for "taking care of electronics".

Quote:
One last point, Based on Less than One week of Bionic (or whatever the newest one is called) ownership you feel confident in telling others to buy it as the ONLY ONE?
I've owned the original Droid since the first week it was released in '09, 22 months ago. Since then, I have rooted it, hacked it, ROM'ed it, over-clocked it, and customized it. You can say I'm somewhat of a Droid enthusiast. I also get to setup every Droid that the admins buy at this job and my last job, so I am well-acquainted with almost every other Android phone out there. Also, as previously stated, I do carry an iPhone for work, as well as setup iPhones and iPads. There's an iPad (work gave it to me) just 3 feet from me as I'm typing this. All to say, while I've only owned the Droid Bionic for all of about three days (and yes, I've already rooted it and got rid of the bloatware), I can confidently say that it is THEE BEST SMART PHONE ON THE MARKET TODAY. In two or three months, maybe not. But the iPhone 5 won't even be in the running. Apple is falling so far behind in technology it's not even worth discussing.

Good day Yelobird.

- Just Joe

(Current bikes)
  • 2001 BMW K1200LTC
  • 1985 Honda V65 Magna
post #26 of 38 Old Sep 10th, 2011, 8:23 pm

So is the new droid only good now that you have rooted it and gotten rid of the bloatware? Cause if so then I definitely wouldn't want to spend money on a phone that I have to hack in order to make it worth using.

2000 BMW R1100RT
post #27 of 38 Old Sep 10th, 2011, 9:05 pm Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:

As a new owner of the Droid Bionic, AND a carrier of an iPhone (for work), there's only ONE phone to get at this time. The Droid Bionic on Verizon's network. Period. .....
Not sure what that means, as I don't know what a Droid Bionic is all about. I did see one at the Verizon store yesterday, but because it's a 4G phone (I think), it's too expensive for my taste. We don't have 4G where I live although it is available where I work.

Two 4G phones at $300-$350 each is just too much. The 3G phones at $150-$250 is bad enough. I guess it's the price one has to pay to buy into this stuff, though.

Thanks for the comments, Joe.

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)

[/URL]
post #28 of 38 Old Sep 10th, 2011, 9:29 pm

OK? I will agree on the BMW drive comment but the rest of your points still baffle me? I believe the OP was looking for Simple and reliable. I am Fairly certain that meant he had no interest in Rooting it, Hacking it, over-clocking it, customizing it, or screwing it? Seems like an AWFUL lot of trouble to make a Phone Call or make a Basic electronic devise work??? Your knowledge and Absolute certainty of the iPhone 5 failure to compete is Amazing. Do you also have a crystal ball on your cell phone tweaking bench? They have not even Announced the NAME of the next iPhone yet let alone it's specs. Did you find the prototype in a bar? Sorry to keep poking you but I hate when people promote or sell without knowing the facts. A little advise, you can throw away the 486 computers and razor phone, they will NEVER come back in style!! Good luck.

QUOTE=messenger13_ver2]One for me, the wife, the son, and the daughter. That's 4. Then 3 more as the others started failing. Then I wised up and started buying Zunes and SanDisk players. Much easier to operate and ROCK SOLID. Not one failure since.

Oh, that is RICH!!! In a forum where the number one topic is BMW's failed final drives. Seems to me the motto around here is "Fool me once, whatever, fool me twice, whatever, and etc., and so on.".

I have a two-year old Droid that looks almost BRAND NEW. I still have the Motorola RAZR that I owned for years prior to that, and the previous LG VX4400 that is still functional. I still own all of the laptops that I've had since the mid-90s, and they all function as new. I'd say I can build a case for "taking care of electronics".

I've owned the original Droid since the first week it was released in '09, 22 months ago. Since then, I have rooted it, hacked it, ROM'ed it, over-clocked it, and customized it. You can say I'm somewhat of a Droid enthusiast. I also get to setup every Droid that the admins buy at this job and my last job, so I am well-acquainted with almost every other Android phone out there. Also, as previously stated, I do carry an iPhone for work, as well as setup iPhones and iPads. There's an iPad (work gave it to me) just 3 feet from me as I'm typing this. All to say, while I've only owned the Droid Bionic for all of about three days (and yes, I've already rooted it and got rid of the bloatware), I can confidently say that it is THEE BEST SMART PHONE ON THE MARKET TODAY. In two or three months, maybe not. But the iPhone 5 won't even be in the running. Apple is falling so far behind in technology it's not even worth discussing.

Good day Yelobird. [/QUOTE]
post #29 of 38 Old Sep 11th, 2011, 10:54 am Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

I'm not interested in hacking into the phone. No worries there. I just want a good, reliable smartphone.

I think I'm beyond where I was when I first posted my question. Kind of realized that I really won't know until seveal days into it (or more) if I'm happy with the new phone. At my level of interest/usage they are all quality products. If they offer a satisfaction guarantee and the phone can be returned I'll take them up on that if necessary.

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)

[/URL]
post #30 of 38 Old Sep 18th, 2011, 11:10 am
Lifetime Supporter

I am and have been a Mac person for a long time and really like Apple products. However, the only point I will make regarding 'Droid (I have an Incredible) and iPhone is in the GPS application. For some reason, Apple has yet to design a really good GPS application for the iPhone. The 'Droid application is far simpler and superior to use. So, if you intend to use the phone frequently as you GPS device, you may want to consider the 'Droid.

Life happens...you control your reaction.

2017 KTM 350 EXC-F (single track monster)
2018 Honda CRF250L Rally (fun on the fire roads)
2015 R1200 RT (holy cow…what a bike)
2007 K1200 LT (sold)
2005 DR 650 (sold)
2002 Harley Ultra (sold)
1999 Harley Road King (sold)
1996 K1100 LT (sold)
1990 Honda Shadow (sold)
1978-1993 Raising Kids; Paying Mortgages
1975 Honda CB550 (sold but wish I still had)
Homemade Motor Bike (mounted a 3.5 HP Briggs & Stratton on my bicycle at age 12)
post #31 of 38 Old Sep 18th, 2011, 10:38 pm

You are right about iPhones 4 and under and GPS with turn-by-turn directions.

The Droid Google Nav application is great, or was under Froyo. With the advent of Gremlin, or is it Gingerbread, all Google applications regularly give me (Verizon Wireless Droid X) login failure warnings and display strings of warped characters. You have to read and memorize the characters because the moment you being typing, the window with the possible word suggestions pops up over the graphic and you cannot see it. You can close the window, but that erases your typed characters. The entire thing is Google idiocy hampered by bugs in Gingerbread.

There are rumors of a better GPS application for the iPhone with IOS 5, and even having the Google NAV in the App Store. But have the Droid Albatross, it is hard to say for sure.

Bill

wild bil
07 K1200LT Biarritz Blau
80 Yamaha XS850 Black - retired in 06
post #32 of 38 Old Sep 19th, 2011, 8:15 pm

iPhone. I had an iPhone 4 as my work phone for about a year and loved it. I can't say that I loved AT&T so much as the coverage in my area was spotty...as with the rest of the US. My personal phone company is Verizon Wireless. When I quit my job due to a move, I had to turn it in. It was like losing an arm. I replaced my personal phone with a Samsung Galaxy S since the iPhone wasn't out for Verizon yet. I have hated this phone ever since I got it. NOTHING is intuitive on it and even though I have gotten used to it, I still hate it. I just moved to AK and was waiting to get here to see how my VW phone worked on the ACS towers before dropping the $ on an iPhone X.
Now, question is, how do I hook it up to the Baehr intercom system since my last phone had the super mini plug and my current/future phone has the mini plugs. Anyone???

2006 Magnesium Black Metallic K1200LT
Proud Member of the Patriot Guard Riders
Ken

post #33 of 38 Old Sep 19th, 2011, 8:25 pm

Quote:
One for me, the wife, the son, and the daughter. That's 4. Then 3 more as the others started failing. Then I wised up and started buying Zunes and SanDisk players. Much easier to operate and ROCK SOLID. Not one failure since.

Good day Yelobird.
+1 on the Zune!!!
Everyone that calls me on an iphone constantly and consistently drops calls! Most I believe are AT&T.

I'm probably going go from my BB Storm 2 (which actually works very well) to a Droid bionic.

The Older I Get, the Faster I Was!

2009 "Fully Farkled"Black Metallic Sapphire RT
post #34 of 38 Old Sep 19th, 2011, 8:57 pm
Jim
Slow Old Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomicman
+1 on the Zune!!!
Everyone that calls me on an iphone constantly and consistently drops calls! Most I believe are AT&T.

I'm probably going go from my BB Storm 2 (which actually works very well) to a Droid bionic.
It very well might be ATT. I have had the iPhone for about 6 months and have yet to drop a call. Incoming or outgoing. I am with Verizon.

Jim Anderson
Idyllwild, CA
'04 Ural Tourist
'08 Tiger
post #35 of 38 Old Sep 20th, 2011, 6:53 am

If you need a good GPS app for the iPhone, try MapQuest. Great turn by turn audio prompts PLUS it's free!

Marshall, Tx

post #36 of 38 Old Sep 20th, 2011, 7:35 am

Quote:

Have you experienced this yet?

Marshall, Tx

post #37 of 38 Old Sep 20th, 2011, 9:15 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwsdad
Have you experienced this yet?
No, my audio is perfect. And being a major contributor on a large Android forum, this is the first that I've heard about this (non)issue.

- Just Joe

(Current bikes)
  • 2001 BMW K1200LTC
  • 1985 Honda V65 Magna
post #38 of 38 Old Sep 20th, 2011, 11:05 am

Hey Howard,
I scanned the thread above, and there is good advice, and some over the top advice. I like to buy last year's tech to save money, and leave the cutting edge stuff to Joe and his buds.

I had a year and half old original Motorola Droid on Verizon, which I really liked, and was really reliable, despite how much I abused it. On the way to Idaho, I dropped it one time too many and shattered the glass. It still worked pretty well for several days, though it was hard on my fingers. I finally called the insurance co. and got one shipped to the hotel, via overnight delivery. The refurb one I got works just as well. I love the speech -to- text feature, and it's great for fat fingers guys like me.

I bought Sweetpea a Moto Droid X2, and she really likes it. It's a large device, and not as pocket friendly as my old Droid.

I can upgrade now if I want, and I was thinking I might wait for the iPhone 5 to debut, then buy the bargain iPhone 4 when it comes out.

But since I'm on a tight budget I might just keep my old Droid for a while because it just works.

So try several and decide what works best for you.

Blessings!
munson+

The Rev. John Munson
Vicar,
, Burkburnett, Texas
Vicar,
, Wichita Falls, Texas
2007 R1200RT "REV ZM"
IRON BUTT ASSOC. #37813
See my video:

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in