Need some opinions - BMW Luxury Touring Community
View Poll Results: Should Bike Talk be a new forum split from Chit Chat?
Yes, Bike Talk would be good to split out of Chit Chat 14 13.33%
No, leave it all in Chit Chat 55 52.38%
It really doesn't matter to me 36 34.29%
Voters: 105. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 Old Mar 11th, 2006, 4:48 pm Thread Starter
Bouncer

Need some opinions

I know we have Chit Chat for any non LT, and now GT and RT related discussion, but I've had some feedback lately asking to split off motorcycle related discussion from Chit Chat. So I have been thinking about adding a forum to the very top of the Bikes section called "Bike Talk". I'm not a fan of adding more forums, but some of the feedback I've received is very convincing.

What do you think?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'04 Sprint RS Caspian Blue

"I am hoping for an asteroid impact to put all this climate change nonsense to bed."
-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old Mar 11th, 2006, 7:05 pm

hmmmm ... i can't recall ever desiring an additional category. my opinion: we're pretty well covered.
post #3 of 16 Old Mar 11th, 2006, 8:46 pm

Things seems to be pretty good the way they are... I guess if 51% of the registered members want a change then ya may have to consider it ......Regards Pete

post #4 of 16 Old Mar 11th, 2006, 9:04 pm
Cat Herder

I think we can leave it as it is (for now). If we get more folks wanting a SPECIFIC category we might want to consider it.
post #5 of 16 Old Mar 12th, 2006, 4:08 am

Trip home

How was your trip home

"Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting...holy $hit...what a ride"-Mavis Leyrer
Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you. John Stienbeck
08 CanAm Spyder "Fast Truck"(Wifes')
08 Kawasaki KLR 650 "Lil Dirt Truck"
05 K1200Lt "Lt Truck"
05 Piaggio X9 Reveloution "Lil Truck"

97 International 4700 "Big Truck"

AMA Life Member
BMWMOA

post #6 of 16 Old Mar 12th, 2006, 5:58 am

To mimic the "Forrest Gump" movie; Chit Chat is like a box of choclates, you never know what you're going to get. That's what makes it interesting for me. Lots of fun, laughs, history, politics, vision, Bad Ted, and much more. Its easy enough to seperate (identify) subjects in the thread heading.

Chuck J

02 K1200LT (Black Beauty)

New friends make it all worthwhile!!! Smile, its catching.
post #7 of 16 Old Mar 12th, 2006, 11:03 am
Super Moderator

I think we can leave it as is. The point of chit Chat is to chat about basically anything that isn't directly linked to the other specific forums. This could include miscellaneous bike stuff, help with computers, advice for the lovelorned, or the all too rare political discussion.

David Taylor
San Jose, CA
2010 R1200RT Polar Metallic
AMA, BMWMOA
Booze Brother #4

The shortest distance between two points is for people who don't ride!

post #8 of 16 Old Mar 12th, 2006, 11:19 am Thread Starter
Bouncer

It's interesting that none of the people who wanted me to bring up this issue aren't posting. Most of the comments driving this issue was that some interesting motorcycle-related discussions that are not LT related or have a specific forum are getting lost in Chit Chat. The suggestion was to create a specific forum for "Bike Talk" that can include the recent EPA and motorcycle discussion, the patriot guard discussion, the latest Kawamahondasuki discussion, the state of Harley Davidson, or whether Italians or the English (or insert country of manufacture here) can make a decently designed motorcycle.

I am ambivalent either way, but it would be nice if the people who are seeking this change would post their thoughts.

'04 Sprint RS Caspian Blue

"I am hoping for an asteroid impact to put all this climate change nonsense to bed."
-
post #9 of 16 Old Mar 12th, 2006, 12:59 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by eljeffe
I am ambivalent either way, but it would be nice if the people who are seeking this change would post their thoughts.
I don't fall into this catagory, but I do have an opinion. I think the way it is set up is just fine. I browse the "Chit Chat" and read anything that I find interesting. I think I spend an equal amount of time between Motorcycle related and Non-Motorcycle related topics.

Perhaps something else is driving others to make their request? Perhaps the "hot" topics and even "hotter" banter is a distraction?

Ernie A
Milwaukie, OR
Member: MOA, AMA, IBA, NRA, MERA
GS911 & GS911 Wifi - Diagnostics Tools Available
2012 K16GTL (3/2018 to present) 68k (Totaled! 8/11/19 Deer strike)

2013 R1200GSW
> 28k miles!
2002 K12LT Toscana Green - > 241k miles (Sold)
2006 Suzuki DL1000 V Strom Silver/Blk - >21k (Sold)
SS1K (x4),BB,BtoB(<24),BBG, SS3k

post #10 of 16 Old Mar 12th, 2006, 2:26 pm

Chit Chat is Chit Chat is Chit Chat is . . .

I think the last thing we need is MORE sub-forums. Perhaps y'all should be looking for ways to consolidate a few of them. Not that I give a rip either way . . . I've finally gotten used to the new format, and the New Activity feature ROCKS! (Just like you said it did.)
post #11 of 16 Old Mar 12th, 2006, 2:41 pm
Ted

Quote:
Originally Posted by eljeffe
I didn't seek/ask either, but it really doesn't matter to me (how I voted). When I sign on, I just click on "New Activity" then "Past 24 hours" and scan for anything of interest, regardless of the forum.

But, if given the choice between more forums or keep it the same - I'd vote keep it the same.

Ted

Camarillo, CA
2012 Ducati Multistrada 1200S - Red
2007 R1200S - Black - Sold
2003 K1200LTC - Silver - Sold
IBA# 16554

post #12 of 16 Old Mar 12th, 2006, 5:01 pm

Can't say as I see a need for a new forum.

But - I could support moving 'Chit Chat' up as the top most forum on the page.

Sort of set the whole thing up as:

General
Chit Chat
News
Forums for everyone

Specifics
Bike types
Humor
Gadgets

Geographical

But then - can't say as I've invested a lot of time be'n concerned with how it's all layed out either.

Tate

02 Mauve - my 'Light Truck'
Wyoming Immigration Officer, Cyberhiway tour guide and

post #13 of 16 Old Mar 12th, 2006, 5:31 pm

I read the forums in Linear Mode, "Posts Since Last Visit", so it does not matter to me what forums exist. What forum a post is in is pretty transparent in this mode of reading them.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.
post #14 of 16 Old Mar 23rd, 2006, 1:01 pm

Let's keep it the way it is, please.

Ignacio
Imagine, 2001 K1200 LT Pacific

It's not happier he who has the most but he who needs the least.
post #15 of 16 Old Mar 23rd, 2006, 1:37 pm

I don't have a dog in the fight so it's of no concern to me. I voted accordingly.

I will say, being the webmaster of another site, that members can dream up a variety of forum headings that never get used, but someone still has to manage.

I'd say leave it be!

BB

2000 K1200LTC - Mighty Matilda
2003 KLR650

There are 3 kinds of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't.

post #16 of 16 Old Mar 23rd, 2006, 2:39 pm

I really enjoy using the "posts since last visit" feature and use it almost exclusively. Every post has some value. No need for change seen here !

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in