Really thinkin' about it. - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old Aug 27th, 2011, 10:27 am Thread Starter

Really thinkin' about it.

Good morning folks. I am a new member, but not a BMW owner....yet. I currently ride an '06 HD Nightrod(V-rod). I have been on this bike for 4 years now and have put on 28k miles on it. I really like Vickie, my v-rod, and have completely mod-ed her to my liking.

I have never owned a BMW, never even been on one. I like the look and it says a lot to me when it is harder than heck to find a used one with less than 30k miles on it.

From the research I have done I am leaning towards the RT. I like the sporty look. It looks like you can really lean it over a long ways before scraping pipes or anything. I like to hit the curves hard and the underside of Vickie will attest to that. I am not really into the 2-up scene as my wife rides her own V-rod. My daughter will occasionally ride as a passenger but usually only for short trips around town.

I am not new to the internet forums. I have been a Mod on a V-rod forum for 3 years now. I did let the guys over there know I am seriously looking at a BMW and you should hear all the ribbing I am getting. It is all in fun.

Do you guys have any advice on which model to be looking at? Where to look for a good used bike? etc. etc.

Thanks and looking forward to reading up on the BMW bikes.

Bob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old Aug 27th, 2011, 10:50 am

Re: Really thinkin' about it.

BMW dealers are usually pretty good about letting you test ride a bike. Go take an RT out for a spin - and I am guessing you'll never turn back!

Actually, I've never ridden a V-Rod, so really I can't compare... Rode an Ultra Classic, so that's apples and oranges.

If you get the RT, and like to do your own wrenching, you'll learn all you need to know about German Metrics right here.

Brian
CCR: 2008, Midway; 2011, Boise; 2012, Duluth; 2014, Chattanooga. MOA: Billings, 2015; SLC, 2017
CCR-R: 2018, Russellville
'13 K1600 GTL-P - "Eva"
Sold but "beloved" ride: K12 LT - "Pepe"
IBA #31242 (SSx2, BB, BBG)
MOA #136148

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
post #3 of 12 Old Aug 27th, 2011, 11:14 am Thread Starter

"do my own wrenching" You must have not heard the ol' saying.... HD - making mechanics out of bike riders for 100 years.

post #4 of 12 Old Aug 27th, 2011, 11:27 am

I currently ride an LT and an HD softail deuce. I too did all the research and thought that the RT was built specifically for me. Rode one for about 20 minutes and knew that it just wasn't for me. You really need to ride anything you're interested in. Research just doesn't cut it. After trying the RT, I went down the street and rode a Triumph Tiger. Loved that one, but ended up buying a Yamaha FZ1.
post #5 of 12 Old Aug 27th, 2011, 11:45 am
Lifetime Supporter

You might want to test ride the new K1600GT.......................

Allan..Illinois, Oregon, Arkansas, and tomorrow the Universe
2003 K1200LT trike - Starfighter
2004 R1150RTP - Combat Touring
IBA #38152
BMW-MOA 97667
Patriot Guard Riders
...and man of leisure

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 12 Old Aug 27th, 2011, 4:55 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by hallzee
BMW dealers are usually pretty good about letting you test ride a bike. Go take an RT out for a spin - and I am guessing you'll never turn back!

Actually, I've never ridden a V-Rod, so really I can't compare... Rode an Ultra Classic, so that's apples and oranges.

If you get the RT, and like to do your own wrenching, you'll learn all you need to know about German Metrics right here.
At one point in time I had a V-Rod (VRSCR) and an older RT (R1100RT). They are apples and oranges. The RT will be a much better, more comfortable distance bike and will lean harder than the VR. The V-Rod has a better motor IMHO -- Porsche designed heads with DOHC. For a twin, very smooth. I always thought the ideal bike would be a RT with Vrod motor and its belt drive, replacing the trouble-prone BMW FD. As to service, both bikes are fairly easy for owner self-service. Harley beats BMW hands down as to the number of dealers and simpler electronics. Ideally I still wish I had both bikes.
post #7 of 12 Old Aug 27th, 2011, 5:30 pm Thread Starter

I will be keeping the v-rod in the garage....well kinda. I am giving it to my son. He is leaving for boot camp in November, then about a year of A-school. I really like the v-rod's power off the line, just not the best twisties bike, and with my 110 mile round trip commute, I need something a little more comfortable to ride.
post #8 of 12 Old Aug 27th, 2011, 7:05 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Wile you are test riding bikes, Do try a R1200GS . It is the Swiss Army knife of the motorcycle world. It will go around a corner better that most motorcycles, or you can go on most any road type you want. Alaska no problem, the dragon no problem...I am on my third one, so I do look on them with favor.

Patric Blackman
2002 K1200LT/Hannigan2+2
2010 R1200GSA ...1987 Helix...
AMA Charter Lifemember
37 Year Member of both BMWMOA & BMWRA

post #9 of 12 Old Aug 27th, 2011, 7:38 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragbagz
I will be keeping the v-rod in the garage....well kinda. I am giving it to my son. He is leaving for boot camp in November, then about a year of A-school. I really like the v-rod's power off the line, just not the best twisties bike, and with my 110 mile round trip commute, I need something a little more comfortable to ride.
Good to see you are keeping the VRod in the family. Mine was the "R" model which had the mid controls, higher ground clearance and excellent lean angles (among the best of any Harley model). It would smoke my RT on twisties and acceleration. Just was not as comfortable and did not have the convenience items like an electric windscreen. I have not ridden the latest RT models, but hear they are considerably faster and smoother than the R1100RT. Only a road test will tell you if it is the bike for you. Best wishes.
post #10 of 12 Old Aug 28th, 2011, 9:53 am Thread Starter

So if I do switch over to a BMW do I have to ride around in a fluorescent green jacket and pants with a full face helmet and the pulsing headlight?
post #11 of 12 Old Aug 28th, 2011, 11:05 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragbagz
So if I do switch over to a BMW do I have to ride around in a fluorescent green jacket and pants with a full face helmet and the pulsing headlight?
You could dress up like a pirate, but then everybody would think you stole that bike.

BMW 1200 LTC 2002

Illinois...The Only State Where The Governors Make The License Plates
post #12 of 12 Old Aug 28th, 2011, 12:26 pm Thread Starter

Arrrg, wheres me eye patch and parrot.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in