If you like to travel... - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old Aug 10th, 2011, 8:10 pm Thread Starter

If you like to travel...

The missus and I have come to a point in our lives where the only thing we really long for is travel. We'll go just about anywhere we've never been before. If it's on two wheels, four, or a jet we're game.

I guess we fit neatly into the "Experientials" category.

I've noticed over the past several years that all the major internet sites like Expedia, Hotwire, Travelocity, etc. offer pretty much the exact same product at the exact same price - AND - it's really hard to find a smokin' deal since the whole system is pretty much gamed - just like the stock market.

With the economy tanking AGAIN it's a perfect time to get one hell of a deal on luxury travel since it gets hit nailed hard and fast in a tough economic times. One of the best sites I've found for quality vacations is sponsored by Travel and Leisure Magazine. The thing I like best about the deals they offer is that you don't need to worry about the quality of the hotel where you'll be staying. Even at a bargain rate it's going to be darned nice.

We just came back from a 10 day stay in Deer Valley, Utah. We stayed at a four diamond hotel for $105.00 a NIGHT! That's what you would normally pay for a cheesy Holiday Inn room off the freeway in the middle of peak summer travel season in Utah.

It was absolutely excellent and way, way beyond our expectations. A picture of our room is below.

I found the deal here: Luxury vacations at Vacationist

...and yes, I look forward to financing our trip to Kauai over Christmas if you sign up - it doesn't cost a thing. I'll send you a post card.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	chateaux-int-dvl.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	25.8 KB
ID:	32435  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Like Butt-ahh!"

Last edited by RonKMiller; Aug 10th, 2011 at 8:21 pm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old Aug 10th, 2011, 8:56 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Re: If you like to travel...

Nice tip, Ron. Thanks for posting.

Life happens...you control your reaction.

2017 KTM 350 EXC-F (single track monster)
2018 Honda CRF250L Rally (fun on the fire roads)
2015 R1200 RT (holy cow…what a bike)
2007 K1200 LT (sold)
2005 DR 650 (sold)
2002 Harley Ultra (sold)
1999 Harley Road King (sold)
1996 K1100 LT (sold)
1990 Honda Shadow (sold)
1978-1993 Raising Kids; Paying Mortgages
1975 Honda CB550 (sold but wish I still had)
Homemade Motor Bike (mounted a 3.5 HP Briggs & Stratton on my bicycle at age 12)
post #3 of 8 Old Aug 11th, 2011, 8:38 am

Nice tip. Does the bed look really short to anyone else or is it just the way the picture was takin?

Neil '00 K1200LT '08 KLR
"Far away, is far away...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Only if you don't go!!!"

post #4 of 8 Old Aug 11th, 2011, 9:54 am

Wink Re: If you like to travel...

I would say that it looks short due to it being very wide. Perspective, ya know? But that is just a WAG on my part. I do know that the King size bed can appear short when you are mentally comparing it to a Queen size or smaller.

Nice digs at any rate!

John
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironbuttwannabe
Nice tip. Does the bed look really short to anyone else or is it just the way the picture was takin?

John & Marilyn Fisher
'00 K1200LTC "Katie"
'95 Triumph "Tigger"
'12 Triumph 800XC "Tigger II" (RIP)
'12 Triumph 1200 Explorer "Shadow Tigger"
Hillsboro, Oregon

post #5 of 8 Old Aug 11th, 2011, 11:31 am Thread Starter

...and the answer is:

1. The hotel is "tiny people only" - that's why you're getting such a great deal!

OR:

2. The room is only 8ft. wide

OR

3. Wide angle lenses distort.

"Like Butt-ahh!"
post #6 of 8 Old Aug 11th, 2011, 11:58 am

Excellent tip Ron, thank you. I recently read a piece addressing your points exactly. First, as you suggested, the typical travel sites are often similarly priced and not alway's the best deals. Also, as far as the economy tanking again, the article mentioned deals will be had, but to wait if you can because the best deals will not come immediately. The article cited the 2008 collapse and pointed out shortly after there were price drops, but the best deals started to appear in 2009. Your deal in Deer Valley is an excellent one. I have been there a number of times and it is typically considerably more.

Regards & Ride Safe!

Bruce
'09 Black LT
4-Wheels moves the body, 2-wheels moves the soul.
IBA # 8547
post #7 of 8 Old Aug 11th, 2011, 5:51 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gizmo1137
Excellent tip Ron, thank you. I recently read a piece addressing your points exactly. First, as you suggested, the typical travel sites are often similarly priced and not alway's the best deals. Also, as far as the economy tanking again, the article mentioned deals will be had, but to wait if you can because the best deals will not come immediately. The article cited the 2008 collapse and pointed out shortly after there were price drops, but the best deals started to appear in 2009. Your deal in Deer Valley is an excellent one. I have been there a number of times and it is typically considerably more.
Absolutely, we're sitting on the fence trying to decide where to go for Christmas, the wife has 19 days off! It's either going to be Washington DC or Hawaii. The airfares are still pretty stratospheric (pun intended) right now. No way we're going to book at this point with what appears to be another terrible economy staring us in the face. Apparently the best airfares are now popping up 4-6 weeks in advance of travel.

I did find excellent hotels at a bargain rate in both destinations: $109.00 a night in DC (although it's 15 minutes away in Alexandria and we would prefer to stay right in the capital hill area) $82.00 a night up until December 23 and $149.00 until January 2 in Kauai. If I lived in a cold climate I would jump on the Hawaii deal tomorrow and take a flyer (yep, another pun) and just wait it out on airfare with fingers crossed. I've been to Kauai twice, once in in 1982 and for our honeymoon in 1996. One of the VERY few places in the world I would even consider visiting more than once.... I LIKE IT!

"Like Butt-ahh!"
post #8 of 8 Old Aug 11th, 2011, 10:11 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonKMiller
Absolutely, we're sitting on the fence trying to decide where to go for Christmas, the wife has 19 days off! It's either going to be Washington DC or Hawaii. The airfares are still pretty stratospheric (pun intended) right now. No way we're going to book at this point with what appears to be another terrible economy staring us in the face. Apparently the best airfares are now popping up 4-6 weeks in advance of travel.

I did find excellent hotels at a bargain rate in both destinations: $109.00 a night in DC (although it's 15 minutes away in Alexandria and we would prefer to stay right in the capital hill area) $82.00 a night up until December 23 and $149.00 until January 2 in Kauai. If I lived in a cold climate I would jump on the Hawaii deal tomorrow and take a flyer (yep, another pun) and just wait it out on airfare with fingers crossed. I've been to Kauai twice, once in in 1982 and for our honeymoon in 1996. One of the VERY few places in the world I would even consider visiting more than once.... I LIKE IT!
+1 on Kauai. Absolutely my fave of all the Hawaiian islands. KInda like Maui 25 years ago.

Life happens...you control your reaction.

2017 KTM 350 EXC-F (single track monster)
2018 Honda CRF250L Rally (fun on the fire roads)
2015 R1200 RT (holy cow…what a bike)
2007 K1200 LT (sold)
2005 DR 650 (sold)
2002 Harley Ultra (sold)
1999 Harley Road King (sold)
1996 K1100 LT (sold)
1990 Honda Shadow (sold)
1978-1993 Raising Kids; Paying Mortgages
1975 Honda CB550 (sold but wish I still had)
Homemade Motor Bike (mounted a 3.5 HP Briggs & Stratton on my bicycle at age 12)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in