i-BMW? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old Mar 9th, 2006, 6:44 pm Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

i-BMW?

What is i-BMW, and why (how) did I get an email from them, inviting me to register with their K bike-related web site? Here are the first few sentences of the email. Sounds like some Black Ops are going on somewhere. Does this involve us?

"I-BMW.com's BACK
In this our 3rd incarnation since the Spring of 1998, we've returned with a world class, open source architecture in concert with the best forum software and custom coded module offerings money can buy!

Despite a brief outage due to a recent hostile takeover and pirating of our personal property; namely our databases... WE'RE BACK! Yes, this despite our unfortunate encounter with some very bad folks disguised as promoters of online "community"...! (and despite said group's "denial of service" attack attempts to interrupt our re-birth - the list is as tiresome as it is long).....

OK, enough dwelling on the past, as we're accelerating forward, with all previous admins & moderators back on board, away from the drama of a bye- gone era to provide you a place to share the K1200 experience, an experience based on pride of ownership and unrivaled community discussion; K1200 related or not.... "

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2009 BMW K1200LT - 60k miles
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)
2005 BMW K1200LT - "Gray Ghost", traded at 120k miles
2005 Honda Shadow 650 (sold)
AMA, IBA, BMW MOA. CCRs: Braselton 2006, Osage Beach 2007, Duluth 2012

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
[/URL]
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old Mar 9th, 2006, 6:52 pm

So much to learn...
post #3 of 7 Old Mar 9th, 2006, 6:54 pm Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Question Please clarify

Quote:
Originally Posted by messenger13
So much to learn...
I have so much to learn, including about i-BMW, or we (all) have so much to learn about the bikes, other web sites, etc.?

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)

[/URL]

post #4 of 7 Old Mar 9th, 2006, 6:54 pm
TMH

I-BMW.com was kind of an original K bikes forum, which specialized mostly in the K1200s and K1200RS/GT.

They went down a couple of months back, and K-Bikes.com kind of picked up from where they left off. Guess that there was some pretty bad blood between the owners of each site.

I got a lot of great info from I-BMW.com when I had my K12GT. I liked it better than the K-Bikes.com, but no longer having the K12GT I haven't found myself going to either site any more.

Tom

2009 R1200GS-ADV
2005.5 KTM Adventure 950
post #5 of 7 Old Mar 10th, 2006, 12:16 am

Previous response from one of this site's admins (Randy) here.
post #6 of 7 Old Mar 10th, 2006, 9:59 am
Bouncer

I-BMW.com was hosted on the BMWLT.com servers for 29 months. We offered Vic a home and a place that provided a better technical platform for his group to grow from the chaos that was his previous software and site. We offered the first 12 months free to get a feel for the site and see if things would work out, at which time, Vic would begin paying his fair share of the hosting costs. In that 29 months ending in October 2005, Vic provided only $50 (a passthru of 2 member donations) and last July sent us a broken down, 3 year old server that cost more to fix than it was worth, claiming it was brand new and state of the art. Members of I-BMW.com who made donations to Vic in support of I-BMW.com should know that none of it went to the very people who kept the lights burning at I-BMW.com from May 2003-Sep 2005.

In addition, we were approached by a representative of BMW who asked us to curtail I-BMW.com's continued distribution of illegal copies of BMW Maintenance CDs. Along with some failures on Vic's part to comply with some very simple terms of service issues we have with our ISP, Vic was asked to engage in written hosting agreement, which would denote all of the terms of service, make sure pirated CDs were not distributed by I-BMW.com, and Vic become current on his financial obligations to BMWLT.com.

He can spin his story all he wants. When given several opportunities and choices to fix this situation, his response was to lash out and then disappear.

I've heard a couple really good analogies to describe this. The one that seems to fit is: If you finance your BMW motorcycle, and fail to make any payments, is it really YOUR motorcycle?

Was it a good situation? No. The choice was to let a community of 6000 members die on the vine, or not? That's how k-bikes.com came about.

Yes, shame on us for not getting a hosting agreement in writing in the very beginning. But being another BMW community, we never thought we would need one. I guess we were wrong.

'04 Sprint RS Caspian Blue

"I am hoping for an asteroid impact to put all this climate change nonsense to bed."
-

Last edited by eljeffe; Mar 10th, 2006 at 7:05 pm.
post #7 of 7 Old Mar 10th, 2006, 10:07 am Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Thanks for all the replies, especially from the moderators.

Wow. Lots of "history" there. This information makes me think about a line from an old James Garner movie, "Tank". He's a retired US Army senior enlisted type who has a restored WW II-era tank in his garage. He uses it to break his son and the son's girlfriend out of jail, points the big gun at the sheriff and says "I dooooooo believe I've got you covered..."

Sorry to dredge up this unfortunate history; I was just curious who these folks were.

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)

[/URL]

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in