Shameless self-promotion! - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old Mar 3rd, 2006, 3:25 pm Thread Starter

Talking Shameless self-promotion!

Since it's the first time anything like this has happened to me, I just had to brag a little! I was selected (for my underwater photography) as Inon America's "Featured Artist" of the month!

http://www.inonamerica.com/artists.php

Now, just in case you're wondering what this has to do with K1200LT or motorcycles, take a close look at the t-shirt I'm wearing; yep, that's a CCR 2005 moose logo! See...even when I'm involved in my "other hobby," y'all are never far from my heart.

At any rate, I think this is the first time in my life that I've ever been referred to as an "artist!" And, having lived in the shadow of my older brother all my life (" he's the artist" in the family -- http://stephenyatesart.com/ ), I'm going to enjoy my 15 minutes of fame! (If you're interested in seeing more of my photos, you can do so at www.seattleyates.com)

P.S. If you're wondering why I have that strange look on my face in my picture at the top of the Inon site, here's ...the rest of the story: what you can't see (it's a cropped photo) is that I'm standing--some might say "precariously"--on the skinny railing of a boat photographing 10-12 foot tiger sharks swimming around the boat, and I had just (a second before that photo was taken) momentarily lost my footing! Talk about an adrenaline rush! In fact, I'll attach the uncropped photo, plus a couple of the photos I took while standing up there, and one shot of those cute little tigers underwater!

P.P.S. A week from tomorrow, I'll be heading back to that same boat trying to get more photos of the cute little tigers, plus some giant hammerheads, plus perhaps a dolphin or two! With any luck, I'll make it back, and will see some of you on two wheels this summer (or at CCR)!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1045_1.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	88.1 KB
ID:	2315   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pepe w 3 tigers circling.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	71.9 KB
ID:	2316   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pepe barely escapes tiger Jaws.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	69.9 KB
ID:	2317   Click image for larger version

Name:	2005-06-07-Tiger shark.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	38.7 KB
ID:	2318  

Bruce Yates - Y3K on board!
Bellevue, WA (near sunny Seattle
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
)
2013 dark graphite K1600GTL "Tiger Shark"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(RIP - totaled by idiot cage driver)

2000 K1200LTc "Salsa" (sold to my buddy, Mel)
2012 midnight blue Vespa GTS 300ie (Cheri's)

(photography)

(new blog)

2001 CCR - Hot Springs, AR
2002 CCR - Santa Fe, NM
2003 CCR - Gatlinburg, TN
2004 CCR - Breckenridge, CO
2005 CCR - Jackson Hole, WY
2006 CCR - Braselton, GA
2009 CCR - Rapid City, SD
2011 CCR - Boise, ID

"If at first you don't succeed, try try again. Then quit. No use being a damned fool about it." WC Fields
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old Mar 3rd, 2006, 3:35 pm
Ted

Bruce -

I have always enjoyed the pics you have posted here - congratulations on some well-deserved recognition!

Ted

Camarillo, CA
2012 Ducati Multistrada 1200S - Red
2007 R1200S - Black - Sold
2003 K1200LTC - Silver - Sold
IBA# 16554

post #3 of 15 Old Mar 3rd, 2006, 3:44 pm

Finally! Your pictures a top quality Bruce!

post #4 of 15 Old Mar 3rd, 2006, 4:01 pm

Congrats!!!

Bruce,

I told you that you had some FANTASTIC photos, I AM SO HAPPY FOR YOU.
Congratulation BRUCE, you deserve lots of respect.
post #5 of 15 Old Mar 3rd, 2006, 5:01 pm

Thumbs up

Congrats! It's always nice to have your peers recognize your work. I've shot things from helicopters, planes on back of motorcycles, high on bridges etc...but you couldn't pay enough to go under the water. Nice job.

Gene Sweeney

Gene Sweeney

post #6 of 15 Old Mar 3rd, 2006, 5:03 pm

swimming with tigers? yikes! you're a better man than me ...
post #7 of 15 Old Mar 3rd, 2006, 8:13 pm

Bruce,

Your photos from Indonesia absolutely take a person's breath away. Thanks, bud.

http://www.inonamerica.com/artists.php

T.

The Bad Ted

post #8 of 15 Old Mar 3rd, 2006, 9:04 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce_Yates
At any rate, I think this is the first time in my life that I've ever been referred to as an "artist!"
Don't worry Bruce, I won't let it go to your head. Great pictures and good on ya'.

On His Ride,
Steve
-
KA5MTE
'02 LTE - Red-blooded Dragonfly
'00 Unigo - Dragon's Egg
'01 LTC - Flying Purple People Eater (Ya gotta be old enough to understand)(RIP)
'00 LTC - Canyon Red Rover (RIP)

Have you
bmwlt.com lately????

"To not know me is to lose nothing, to not know Him is to lose everything."
post #9 of 15 Old Mar 3rd, 2006, 9:22 pm

GREAT pictures Bruce! Good as any I have seen anywhere. That soft coral one was really nice. Getting it lighted properly and still having good lighting for the background was nice. That Anemonefish one was masterful, or lucky. Knowing you I like to think it was the former.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.
post #10 of 15 Old Mar 4th, 2006, 8:45 am

Man, that's cool. I love the saltwater fish, both big and small. Thanks for posting.

"BONES" <///><

2018 R1200RT
2002 K1200LTC--- Belle

"My wife and I have an understanding. I won't try to run her life and I won't try to run mine."
post #11 of 15 Old Mar 5th, 2006, 9:00 pm

Congrats, Bruce! I gushed all over the Indonesian shots when you put them up...its great to see you get some real recognition. They are breath-taking!

So, ahhh, are we training the Tigers to nuzzle surf boards?!!

Pete Jessen
CCR 02, 03, 04, 08, 10
post #12 of 15 Old Mar 5th, 2006, 9:42 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjessen
Congrats, Bruce! I gushed all over the Indonesian shots when you put them up...its great to see you get some real recognition. They are breath-taking!

So, ahhh, are we training the Tigers to nuzzle surf boards?!!
Thanks, Pete (and others) for the kind comments.

Actually, the surf board is sort of an interesting story. One of the divers brought that brand new surf board specifically in order to get authentic tiger shark teeth marks in it to hang on his wall at home. In addition to
"Pepe" (the doll on top of the board), what you can't see is that there is a horseyed jack (a fish about 12" long) strapped to the BOTTOM of the board. The shark can smell the fish and is trying to get at it.

)

(photography)

(new blog)

2002 CCR - Santa Fe, NM
2006 CCR - Braselton, GA
2011 CCR - Boise, ID

"If at first you don't succeed, try try again. Then quit. No use being a damned fool about it." WC Fields
post #13 of 15 Old Mar 6th, 2006, 8:32 am

Bruce, well done !.
post #14 of 15 Old Mar 6th, 2006, 8:59 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dshealey
GREAT pictures Bruce! Good as any I have seen anywhere. That soft coral one was really nice. Getting it lighted properly and still having good lighting for the background was nice. That Anemonefish one was masterful, or lucky. Knowing you I like to think it was the former.
Thanks, David! Anemonefish (commonly known as clownfish, although only one - the "Nemo" type - is actually a Clown Anemonefish) are a royal pain in the rear to photograph because they are ALWAYS moving, diving into the anemone for cover and then poking their heads out momentarily to see if you're still there bothering them. Think of an NHL goalie when the opposing team is passing around the puck nearby, and you've got the right idea.

Anyway, I've probably taken a thousand photos of anemonefish (and that's no exaggeration!), and only have a handful of decent shots to show for it. Here are a couple of others, unfortunately pretty low resolution (the first is a pair of "false clown" anemonefish, the second is a "pink" anemonefish). Often, the anemones themselves are so colorful that they are half the picture. Then again, with friends like you, David, who needs anemones!

)

(photography)

(new blog)

2002 CCR - Santa Fe, NM
2006 CCR - Braselton, GA
2011 CCR - Boise, ID

post #15 of 15 Old Mar 6th, 2006, 11:46 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce_Yates
... Then again, with friends like you, David, who needs anemones!
Bruce, your photos are great. Yours puns are .... real groaners.

But nice job!

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2009 BMW K1200LT - 60k miles
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)
2005 BMW K1200LT - "Gray Ghost", traded at 120k miles
2005 Honda Shadow 650 (sold)
AMA, IBA, BMW MOA. CCRs: Braselton 2006, Osage Beach 2007, Duluth 2012

[/URL]

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in