Motorcycle Reading Recommendations? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 Old Mar 1st, 2006, 11:39 pm Thread Starter

Exclamation Motorcycle Reading Recommendations?

I've been reading "Leanings I and II" by Peter Egan and liked them enough to want to read more of this ilk. Anyone have any other motorcycle reading recommendations? TIA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old Mar 2nd, 2006, 1:24 am
IBR# 366

Garage
What a great thread. I was recently thinking about asking the same question here. I can't wait to see what the collective comes up with.

I've been on a Round-the-World kick recently. I'm currently reading Investment Biker by Jim Rogers. It's interesting because he talks some about the bikes, but more about the people and places he's going through. He has an interesting ability to see small details and extrapolate them into trends giving a clear view of the big picture. It's slightly dated, but some of his predictions and assumptions about the world have proven fairly accurate.

I recently finished Long Way Round by Ewan McGregor & Charley Boorman (the book, after watching the DVD). Sure they had support trucks along, but they actually did the ride, which is more than most people ever dream about. Plus someone gave it to me at a tech session, with the only caveat being that I pass it along when I was done with it (OK, as soon as my wife is done with it ).

And this isn't exactly what you asked, but there is a great thread on www.advrider.com about Striking Viking bumming the world. He's been on the road for almost two years now, and gives regular updates with stunning pictures and fascinating glimpses into local cultures. The biggest things I've learned so far is that what we see portrayed in the media is far from what is actually happening in the world, and that regardless of race, creed, culture, politics, or religion, most folks just want to live their own lives in peace.

Who else has got some great suggestions?

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #3 of 23 Old Mar 2nd, 2006, 1:41 am

... Ted Simon's 'Jupiters Travels' ...

• 2005 LT - 17 countries, 2 CONTINENTS & counting !
  • MB SLK 350 MT
  • 1974 Triumph Bonneville 750

post #4 of 23 Old Mar 2nd, 2006, 7:21 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerrod Maguire
I've been reading "Leanings I and II" by Peter Egan and liked them enough to want to read more of this ilk. Anyone have any other motorcycle reading recommendations? TIA
1. For the novice rider (that would be me) or for anyone wanting to sharpen their skills or understand how things work, "Proficient Motorcycling" by David Hough. There are 2 sequels out, also.

2. Any magazine's monthly safety article. I benefit from those, also.

3. Threads on sites like these about crashes, near-crashes, incidents, etc. I hope I'm never in some (all!) of these situations but I think I'm learning how to avoid them by reading of others' experiences.

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2009 BMW K1200LT - 60k miles
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)
2005 BMW K1200LT - "Gray Ghost", traded at 120k miles
2005 Honda Shadow 650 (sold)
AMA, IBA, BMW MOA. CCRs: Braselton 2006, Osage Beach 2007, Duluth 2012

[/URL]

Last edited by hschisler; Mar 2nd, 2006 at 11:01 am. Reason: added Mr. Hough's first name
post #5 of 23 Old Mar 2nd, 2006, 7:39 am

My 4 favorite webpages on riding

I don't know if this 'fits the mold' exactly . . . but none-the-less, these websites are MANDITORY reading as far as I'm concerned. There's a bit of overlap on a few of them...but I read these 4 pages at least 3 to 4 times a year.

TrackDoD Novice Group Orientation

The Fine Art of Braking, By Keith Code

Pace Yourself

THE PACE
post #6 of 23 Old Mar 2nd, 2006, 9:46 am

David Hough - Street Strategies: A survival guide for motorcyclists

2018 K1600GTL
2012 K1600GTL (retired)
2003 K1200LT (retired)

IBA # 35048
post #7 of 23 Old Mar 2nd, 2006, 10:35 am

I have two of his books(Proficient Motorcycling and More Proficient Motorcycling) but not that one. Looks like one I should get
post #8 of 23 Old Mar 2nd, 2006, 11:02 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerrod Maguire
"Against the Wind", and "Going the Extra Mile" by Ron Ayres

For motorcycle travel books:

"One Man Caravan", by Robert Fulton

"Purple Mountains", by Notch Miyake

"Ghost Rider", by Neil Pert

"Storm, A Motorcycle Journey of Love, Endurance, and Transformation". by Allen Noren.

And as Ken has already mentioned, "Investment Biker"

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.
post #9 of 23 Old Mar 2nd, 2006, 7:47 pm

Riding the "Blue Highways"... nothing but the 2 lanes across the country. Native American author.

Chuck J

02 K1200LT (Black Beauty)

New friends make it all worthwhile!!! Smile, its catching.
post #10 of 23 Old Mar 2nd, 2006, 8:49 pm

"Two Wheels Through Terror", by Glen Heggstad http://www.strikingviking.net/sv/index.php
Order the book from his web site (above) and he gets most of the $. Also on Amazon.

(also the Striking Viking Bums the world) at http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=41699

Great reads, good author. Makes me feel like, "I want to go, but I don't want to do what he did!"

Also Face Plant: http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=17
Has tons of examples of what not to do in a forum whose members also advocate ATGATT, and helps you understand how well (or not) it performs.

Pete Jessen
CCR 02, 03, 04, 08, 10
post #11 of 23 Old Mar 3rd, 2006, 2:54 am

Talking What about.....

Zen and the art of motorcycle maintenance by Robert Pirsig. It's a book that'll make you think............... What the ... was that book about

Regards

Big Dog
'04 K1200LT
Ulysses #33984
Cogito Ergo Sum: I think, therefore I am.
What am I?

post #12 of 23 Old Mar 3rd, 2006, 4:20 pm

After Motorcycle Diaries

I got into several unusual books: Chasing Che - A Motorcycle Journey in Search of the Guevara Legend. Also, Mi Moto Fidel by Christopher Baker. Personally enjoyed the Mi Moto Fidel...travels in Cuba via GS.
post #13 of 23 Old Mar 3rd, 2006, 6:33 pm

Not to forget Don Arthur's piece:

http://members.cox.net/bmw-ldrider/Fatigue.pdf

A must read for everyone as we get into the season.

Thanks, Don!

Pete Jessen
CCR 02, 03, 04, 08, 10
post #14 of 23 Old Mar 3rd, 2006, 6:47 pm

post #15 of 23 Old Mar 4th, 2006, 9:33 am

What a fantastic thread (particularly for those of us new to this heavy beast).

"Smooth Riding - The Pridmore Way"

Author: Reg Pridmore; 3 Time AMA Superbike Champ/AMA Hall Of Fame
Contributors: Virtually every famous bike racer one can think of.
Objective: Advanced skills through confidence and CONTROL.
Link:http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/188...Fencoding=UTF8

This was sent to me by a mentor of mine who has 500k miles on dozens of bikes. He's ridden with Pridmore (as well as Malcolm Smith) and said this is "the" book for someone like me with minimal experience on BMW and 850 pounds of weight.

Half way through the book it appeared immediately apparent that some education courses are in order (which I am working on) but the 2-finger cover, braking, lines of attack on curves, high compression in traffic, etc are all covered. The best part to me was the fact that he very much respects the dangers of street riding and tries to apply some race riding skills to those of us facing cagers, not ovals.
post #16 of 23 Old Mar 8th, 2006, 6:58 pm

Dale and Sandy (FlyingAvanti on ADVRider) are doing an epic tour of SA with an R100. Here is his partial list of books read prior to departure. As he says, "These were written when adventure was real adventure"!

Take a look for yourself: http://www.ploung.com/the_books.htm

The thread his here. http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=94531

It is a wonderful read!

Pete Jessen
CCR 02, 03, 04, 08, 10
post #17 of 23 Old Mar 9th, 2006, 7:25 am

i read a bok called "breaking the limit" by a lady who rode a 1200 sportster from Jersey to Alasksa and back... all by herself.... backroads all the way. pretty amazing. recent book... book was OK but i've always wanted to try getting to Alaska and her descriptions of the toils of those roads were eye-opening.
post #18 of 23 Old Mar 9th, 2006, 10:14 am

Thanks, Chris!
Here is a site to find the book "Breaking the Limit" by Karen Larson: http://www.smarter.com/books-1/produ...mi_books222662

One of these days, it would be good to pin this thread so we could easily find it.

Pete Jessen
CCR 02, 03, 04, 08, 10
post #19 of 23 Old Mar 9th, 2006, 4:07 pm
IBR# 366

Garage
The attached word file is a compilation of all the books and websites listed here so far. They are split into four categories: Instructional Books, Instructional Websites, Travel Books, and Travel Websites. Plus I've added a few more from my bookshelf and the web site listed above:

Motorcycle Touring and Travel: A Handbook of Travel by Motorcycle by Bill Stermer

The Motorcycle Safety Foundation's Guide to Motorcycling Excellence: Skills, Knowledge, and Strategies for Riding Right edited by Nate Rauba

Against the Clock: The Incredible Story of the 7/49: 49 States in 7 Days by Motorcycle! by Ron Ayres

10 Years on 2 Wheels by Helge Pedersen

Obsessions Die Hard: Motorcycling the Pan American Highway's Jungle Gap by Ed Culberson

Riding South: Mexico, Central and South America by Motorcycle by Dr. Gregory W. Frazier

Motorcycle Touring: Everything You Need to Know by Dr. Gregory W. Frazier

Riding the World: The Biker's Road Map for a Seven Continent Adventure by Dr. Gregory W. Frazier

BMW GSing Around the World: The BMW GS Motorcycle, Racing, Rambling, Repairing by Dr. Gregory W. Frazier

Alaska by Motorcycle: How To Motorcycle To Alaska by Dr. Gregory W. Frazier

Two Wheels to Panama by William Carroll

Two Wheels to Adventure: Alaska to Argentina by Motorcycle by Danny Liska

New Zealand by Motorcycle: The Motorcycle Adventurer's Handbook
for Down-Under Travel
by Dr. Gregory W. Frazier

Europe By Motorcycle: How To Motorcycle Tour In Europe by Dr. Gregory W. Frazier

Motorcycle Journeys Through the Alps & Corsica by John Hermann

Motorcycle Journeys Through California by Clement Salvadori

Motorcycle Journeys Through Baja by Clement Salvadori

Adventure Motorcycling Handbook: Worldwide Motorcycling Route & Planning Guide by Chris Scott

Monks and Motorcycles: From Laos to London by the Seat of my Pants 1956-1958 by Franklin E. Huffman

Motorcycle Journeys Through New England by Martin C. Berkle

Life is a Road: Get on it and Ride! by Daniel Meyer

Life is a Road: The Soul is a Motorcycle by Daniel Meyer

Great American Motorcycle Tours by Gary McKechnie

Motorcycling Stories: Adventure Touring from the Northwest Territories to the Yucatan Peninsula by Piet Boonstra

Many of these books can be found at http://www.whitehorsepress.com/ and http://www.aerostich.com/ as well as other local and online retailers.

Anything else I've missed?
Attached Files
File Type: doc Books.doc (57.5 KB, 85 views)

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #20 of 23 Old Oct 25th, 2007, 12:25 pm

New Book

For those of you who read and enjoyed Ghost Rider by Neil Peart he has released a new book, Roadshow. If you recall in Ghost Rider Peart often made reference to riding his BMW R1150GS from one Rush concert to the next. In case you are not familiar with Peart, he's the drummer for Rush. Roadshow is the story of Peart and his riding partners Michael & Brutus' 40,000 mile odyssey as they travel between concerts on their motorcycle. Peart's writing style is very personable and makes you feel as if he is sitting across the table tell you the story. It's a motorcycle adventure we would all love to part take in!

For those of you who have not read Ghost Rider, I would highly recommend it as well.
post #21 of 23 Old Oct 25th, 2007, 9:50 pm

Life is a Road

This guy has had me glued to so many of his short stories that I from time to time revisit them and laugh my ass off. The one about the squirrel sticks out in my mind.... http://lifeisaroad.com/ Daniel Mayer has six books published.

Craig Hutchison
02 Pac Blue (Aka Blue Ox)
34° 14’ 12.63 N
119° 01’ 21.64 W

Why coast through Life when you can Corner it.
post #22 of 23 Old Oct 26th, 2007, 4:47 am

Thanks Motomadman, I've booked marked the link you provided and when I'm done I'm going to check them out. Is there one title you recommend over the others?
post #23 of 23 Old Oct 26th, 2007, 11:40 pm

This one sticks out in my mine as very funny. http://lifeisaroad.com/stories/2004/...iceStreet.html He makes it clear it's up to you whether it's fact or fiction

Craig Hutchison
02 Pac Blue (Aka Blue Ox)
34° 14’ 12.63 N
119° 01’ 21.64 W

Why coast through Life when you can Corner it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in