new K800 - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old Oct 5th, 2005, 8:27 am Thread Starter

new K800

Check this out - I know this should be posted in the k-bike forurm but thought more people would see it here

http://www.webbikeworld.com/BMW-motorcycles/bmw-f800s/

JSRalston
'02 LTC - Black

"The only way to get rid of a temptation is to yield to it."
Oscar Wilde
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old Oct 5th, 2005, 9:24 am

Looks like BMW is staying busy! Not for me though.
post #3 of 10 Old Oct 5th, 2005, 10:43 am

The new F800

Ah yes! BMW has finally invented the Universal Japanese Motorcycle. The question is, why?

post #4 of 10 Old Oct 5th, 2005, 11:36 am

K800s

I don't see the paralever front end in the photo. Also both photos hide the rear drive set-up. I don't want a BMW price and badge if it doesn't come with BMW safety and engineering.
post #5 of 10 Old Oct 5th, 2005, 12:20 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by JK75RT
Also both photos hide the rear drive set-up.
...belt drive...

• 2005 LT - 17 countries, 2 CONTINENTS & counting !
  • MB SLK 350 MT
  • 1974 Triumph Bonneville 750

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 10 Old Oct 5th, 2005, 2:45 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetDoc
Ah yes! BMW has finally invented the Universal Japanese Motorcycle. The question is, why?
I do think BMW needs to expand its line. In addition to the "big bikes" they need smaller engine lower seat run abouts. My wife would like a smaller version of the RT for example say around 650-800cc for example. I thinke they need an upgrade path so you can start out on smaller bikes and work your way up the 1200cc bikes.

Just Go

Mike
Cleveland Ohio
2019 K1600b Grand America, Blue Max.
post #7 of 10 Old Oct 5th, 2005, 4:02 pm

Don't like the looks at all!!
Probably just me but that engine just looks like a Briggs & Stratton hanging off the front. Even the Mono-tone Color of the engine bothers me.
And..It doesn't look like they used the Lever front, does it? Must have though, judging by the fork tube arrangement. Have to read more on that one.
I think the looks alone are going to kill sales for this bike. If they were looking to drive sales beyond BMW loyalists, I think they missed the mark. JMO...
post #8 of 10 Old Oct 5th, 2005, 11:30 pm
IBR# 366

Garage
Funny, the motorcycle press is actually saying that this is the first new BMW that looks good in the photos, for a change.

I think that platform might make a decent middle weight adventure tourer, but then again I'm not looking for a middleweight sport bike.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #9 of 10 Old Oct 6th, 2005, 10:06 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwnahas
I do think BMW needs to expand its line. In addition to the "big bikes" they need smaller engine lower seat run abouts. My wife would like a smaller version of the RT for example say around 650-800cc for example. I thinke they need an upgrade path so you can start out on smaller bikes and work your way up the 1200cc bikes.
The thing is, in today's market full of 2000CC+ motorcycles the current BMW 1200CC bikes are no more than midweights. An 800CC bike is not that much smaller. And if I can buy a Kawahonzuki 800CC motorcycle for less than half the price of the new BMW F800, then why would I even consider buying a BMW? Especially since all the unique and traditional features that made BMW motorcycles special seem to be missing from these new bikes.

The new Rotax designed 800CC engine may be technologically advanced, but the use of technology just for the sake of technology doesn't make a great deal of sense in a competative market place. If BMW is hoping for this new bike to help them capture a larger chunk of the motorcycle market in the USA, I think they'll be sadly disappointed.
post #10 of 10 Old Oct 6th, 2005, 1:04 pm

Right John.
Plus...I think the looks will make it just that much less apealling. Considering what Ken mentioned, I think the MC press has got it backwards. Am I the only one that thinks so?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in