Our Olympians??? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 Old Feb 26th, 2006, 8:58 pm Thread Starter

Our Olympians???

Is it just me, or is there something amiss with the attitude of our most visible Olympians?

Shanni Davis refuses to skate the team pursuit in order to better his chances of winning a Personal Gold medal the next day and them snubs an interviewer immediately following the his victory? I'm sure his mom was proud of that one!

Bodi Miller.....Where do you start with that jerk! I don't care if you lose, or screw up, but don't act like America sent you to the Olympics so you could just "Enjoy The Experience". They put him up in his own private bus and treated him like a rock star and for what...to say that he never went to win! WOW!

Julie Mancuso: Wore her Tierra IN AN EVENT! Then after Peekabo Street made a a comment about it, she wore it on the Medal stand as a BIG F.U.! Classy!

Jeret "Speedy" Peterson: Sent home early for fighting in public after partying all night. Way to represent

Lindsey Jacobellis: This girl is a veteran at the age of twenty. She should have known better. She was the least responsible of all the athletes who screwed up and I feel really sorry for her. I can chalk that mistake up to youthful exuberance, even though she is a seasoned snowboard competitor. That moment of showboating will haunt her for the rest of her life.

Where are the coaches during all this mess? It seems like these guys have free reign to do anything they wnat and act however they please! I can't recall there ever being so much ridiculousness from any other American delegation?

My hats off to Appolo Ohno and Chad HEDRICK for being gracious and putting their soul into their efforts along with the many other fine performances from disciplined and well behaved Americans. Most of the athelets represented with class. It only takes a handfull of these knuckleheads to tarnish the image of All americans. We wonder why the rest of the world is getting tired of the American attitude.

2005 LT AKA:"PHAT BOY"
Dark Graphite

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old Feb 26th, 2006, 9:16 pm

Yeah, I am also fed up with the likes of Bodie Miller. To top it off, he was interviewed AFTER all his failures. If justice had prevailed, he would have never had an input to American media again. I wish he had just been completely ignored by the media at the end. Show him what the rest of his life is going to be like unless he gets a major attitude adjustment.

Don't go away mad Bodie, just go the F%^#* away!

Shani was also an embarasement, even though he won a Gold. That chip on his shoulder interview made me want to strangle him with that medal ribbon.

I got the biggest kick out of Ohno. Great attitude, and seemed to be having the most FUN of all, while still going for the Gold. I cheered the most for him when he won the 500. He and Cheek certainly showed a better American face than most of the others.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.
post #3 of 23 Old Feb 26th, 2006, 9:21 pm Thread Starter

The amazing thing about Ohno is that he's a millionaire and still opted to live in the Olympic training center....Now that's discipline....Or he was letting all that mortgage money roll over for four years Maybe he's smart with money and his training both! Either way...What a great guy! We need more athletes like him!

Dark Graphite

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 23 Old Feb 26th, 2006, 10:24 pm

bodie is an a$$hole. no doubt about it.

but there were some real heroes this time around. some from the u.s., some from other locales. i always look for them. because they are a huge inspiration to me. i love the olympics.

did you see the female canadian speedskater who won the 5000 meters? she came out of NOWHERE ... beat the german and other canadian, who were the favorites. she collapsed on the ice ... left EVERY ounce of energy out on the track. no one expected her to win but she did. and at the gold medal ceremony she dragged her teammate onto the top pedestal and sang the national anthem together. had nothing but good things to say about the competition.

that's what i love about it. the sportsmanship. the joy. dark horses winning unexpectedly. there was actually lots of the stuff this time.

Last edited by KBandit; Feb 26th, 2006 at 10:33 pm.
post #5 of 23 Old Feb 26th, 2006, 11:30 pm

I certainly agree with you about Bode, but not Chad Hedrick. I thought that guy was an arrogant ass. Almost as much of an embarrassment as Bode. He won bronze and pissed about it. "I didn't come here to win Bronze," then making excuses. Try your best and be happy about that. Also, keep the criticism of teammates in the locker room, or to officials instead of ragging on Shani in public.

I had mixed feelings about Shani. I kept hearing he dropped out of the Team Pursuit, however as I understand it he never agreed to it in the first place. This was a new event in a sport that has never had a team element to it. On the other hand some effort to help the team would have been appreciated. He did cheer on others, including Chad who seemed to have no interest in thawing the ice.

I would include the US Hockey team. Mike Modano ripped into the Olympic organizers after the teams dismal performance. Again, he may have had some points, but take it to the organizers later. To do it right after some tough games looked like sour grapes.

There were some good moments, Michelle Kwan's graciousness was amazing, and many others, but sometimes the bad sticks in one's mind.

Dale White

"The shortest distance between two points is often unbearable."
— Charles Bukowski
post #6 of 23 Old Feb 26th, 2006, 11:38 pm
Banned

Olympic Football

Do believe that the Steelers beat the Sea Hawks? Where is the justice. Right Wayne?
post #7 of 23 Old Feb 27th, 2006, 12:14 am

While I am not a snowboarder, I was very impressed with the snowboard cross. I watched all the heats. I never saw a competitor who lost in the heats, or lost out on a medal be upset. At the end of each race, the boarders who lost would give the winners hugs and high fives. Not one of them bitched that they lost.

I though both Shani and Chad were both asses, but more so to Shani. The Olympians need to realize they represent the country, and not just themselves.

Mike
2005 BMW R1200GS
2003 Kawasaki KLR650
1977 Yamaha RD400
1976 Yamaha RD400
post #8 of 23 Old Feb 27th, 2006, 12:17 am Thread Starter

Phil.. They won that game fair and square!

Even with the US bad apples...I loved watching the olympics. What an awesome event. It's only gotten better with the incredible camera work and commentary...Just awesome. Even the closing ceremony was cool! Let's keep our fingers crossed that America can "not show their A$$" quite as much next time around.

Dark Graphite

post #9 of 23 Old Feb 27th, 2006, 12:27 am Thread Starter

In retrospect...I can see the point about Chad Hedrick. He just didn't seem to be in it so much for himself and was very frustrated about the lack of teamwork. He let it spill over in the public. Davis on the other hand...while having a kiss and make up press conferance, refueled the entire issue again when whinning at the end that Chad didn't shake his hand after he won the gold. For what it's worth, I wouldn't have shook his hand either. I think his mom called and told him he had better get out there and root for Chad is his last race or she'd woop his butt when he got home. I'm not sure it was genuine at all, but even if it wasn't...he still did it, so good on him.

It's at the point where if your good enough, you can Spit on an Umpire, or assault fans or make racist comments (Fuzzy about Tiger) and not lose your job. When the public finaly demands firing of these idiots, we'll see much better behavior from them. After all....they aint curing cancer!

Dark Graphite

post #10 of 23 Old Feb 27th, 2006, 1:17 pm
Ted

No - it isn't you - I shut it off early on when Bodie didn't see the connection between staying out late and losing the next day by 7/10ths of a second.

Ted

Camarillo, CA
2012 Ducati Multistrada 1200S - Red
2007 R1200S - Black - Sold
2003 K1200LTC - Silver - Sold
IBA# 16554

post #11 of 23 Old Feb 27th, 2006, 1:46 pm

here is a recent blog that may or may not be published:

Thanks, Clara

Thank you, Clara Hughes, for saving the olympics for this Blogger.

You came out of nowhere to win gold in the 5,000 meter speedskating event, a gruelling distance that saw you collapse on the ice at the end, having left every ounce of energy on the oval track that tortured you mightily for just shy of seven minutes. I’ll bet it was the toughest seven minutes of your young life.

The media spotlight never shone on you, and it does not shine on you to this day. You and I can taker perverse pleasure in it, because in avoiding the limelight you ironically outshine all those who are at its center.

Early on that Saturday night, in the minutes before you bested the favorites, Claudia Pechstein and Cindy Klassen, the announcer only mentioned you in passing, the pairs partner for Pechstein. You were introduced before the race as a footnote intended to underscore your competitor’s greatness. And for a while the race proceeded according to that script, with Pechstein pulling steadily ahead while you paced yourself for the long meters ahead.

Then when Pechstein began to fade at the end you put those long hours of training to good use, making up a five-second deficit to defeat the German and claim your first gold medal in olympic speedskating.

You won the race and you won the medal, and when you picked yourself up from the ice, you won my undying admiration, thanks to your ear-to-ear grin, your earthy humbleness, and your gratitude at being given the chance to compete with the best athletes in the world.

You are an example not just to other athletes, but to all the rest of us in the corporate world, too, who work hard to get ahead. For that I want to thank you.

Thank you for devoting the years of hard work and sacrifice to arrive at this level, and thank you for not treating the games with disdain by putting partying ahead of competing.

Thank you for winning with class and dignity, and for radiating so much pure joy and good cheer in the process.

Thank you for congratulating your competitors, and for not whining about what your teammates did or did not do in other events. During the medal ceremony, you physically dragged your teammate from the third step of the podium to the top, so that she could share the moment and the view while they played the Canadian national anthem. Class like that brings a tear to my eye every time.

Thank you for cheering on your teammates when they competed, just as they cheered you on when you were on the ice. You never forgot you are part of a team.

Thank you for being less glamorous than some of the other skaters, with their movie-star looks and commercial contracts. You outshone them all by an order of magnitude with your performance and your marvelous smile.

Thank you for exhibiting sportsmanship and the joy of competing, fairly and honestly.

We could use a few more like you, Clara, in the olympics and everywhere else.

Last edited by KBandit; Feb 27th, 2006 at 1:58 pm.
post #12 of 23 Old Feb 27th, 2006, 6:16 pm

Olympic Ice...

The USA ice hockey team was filled with superstars. Unfortunately, they played like superstars rather than as a team. US & Canada ice hockey fell flat. Next time the US & Canada ice hockey officials should take lesser known, young, fast puck handlers who are hungry.

Bravo to Ohno, love em.

Young American ice figure skater stars are on the rise.

Bravo to those who worked their butts off and did their best and left it all on the ice/snow for the good of the game. Many more success stories just not on the radar screen from NBC (worst coverage I've seen yet).

Love the games... hate the politics.

Chuck J

02 K1200LT (Black Beauty)

New friends make it all worthwhile!!! Smile, its catching.
post #13 of 23 Old Feb 27th, 2006, 7:31 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksailor
The USA ice hockey team was filled with superstars. Unfortunately, they played like superstars rather than as a team. US & Canada ice hockey fell flat. Next time the US & Canada ice hockey officials should take lesser known, young, fast puck handlers who are hungry.

Bravo to Ohno, love em.

Young American ice figure skater stars are on the rise.

Bravo to those who worked their butts off and did their best and left it all on the ice/snow for the good of the game. Many more success stories just not on the radar screen from NBC (worst coverage I've seen yet).

Love the games... hate the politics.
I'd like to see all our Olympic athletes be amatuers again. The first time you make a dime playing the game for big $$$$$$ on a daily basis you don't go to the Olympics. Shades of the hockey team at Lake Placid. JM2CW.

On His Ride,
Steve
-
KA5MTE
'02 LTE - Red-blooded Dragonfly
'00 Unigo - Dragon's Egg
'01 LTC - Flying Purple People Eater (Ya gotta be old enough to understand)(RIP)
'00 LTC - Canyon Red Rover (RIP)

Have you
bmwlt.com lately????

"To not know me is to lose nothing, to not know Him is to lose everything."
post #14 of 23 Old Feb 27th, 2006, 8:25 pm Thread Starter

Wouldn't that be nice! It would also be nice if your could win the Mr. Olympia without steroids. People tend to forget that it's illegal and you should go to jail if you buy, sell it or use it. But all those bodybuilders in the professional ranks are expected to use them. One of the most famous steroid users became Governor of California! It's such a double standard you almost want to shake a baby!

The lake placid hockey team was awesome, but the opposite scenario would be the Basketball dream team a couple Olympics back(maybe three) with Michael Jordan. They dominated the entire competition as highly paid millionaires. Maybe it has more to do with the person. Ohno is a millionaire and he rocks....Hummm?

Dark Graphite

post #15 of 23 Old Mar 4th, 2006, 2:12 pm

So who was be far the most recognizable/popular USA citizen in Europe before the Olympics?

Yep, Bode Miller. It all went to his head...hope he stays in Europe.

As for the boarders...its a sport for those in their rebellious years, so expect some BS.

Remember what the boarder got on his SAT?

Drool

Pete Jessen
CCR 02, 03, 04, 08, 10
post #16 of 23 Old Mar 4th, 2006, 3:22 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjessen
So who was be far the most recognizable/popular USA citizen in Europe before the Olympics?

Yep, Bode Miller.

.......whoooooom - never heard of her (btw - even our witches with brooms did not get a medal ) (you should be out doing it. not watching it).

• 2005 LT - 17 countries, 2 CONTINENTS & counting !
  • MB SLK 350 MT
  • 1974 Triumph Bonneville 750

post #17 of 23 Old Mar 4th, 2006, 10:23 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woolly
(you should be out doing it. not watching it).

Common now....I'm out skiing most every weekend..It doesn't mean that I dont apprececiate "WATCHING" the people with a true talent while they make it look easy. I'll keep watching....I just hope I'm not watching Shani Davis and Bodi Miller next time!

Dark Graphite

post #18 of 23 Old Mar 5th, 2006, 9:28 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted
No - it isn't you - I shut it off early on when Bodie didn't see the connection between staying out late and losing the next day by 7/10ths of a second.
Here's a guy who had the world on a string and then almost planned to fall flat on his face... I noticed half way through the competition there were suddenly no more "Bode" commercials. I can't even remember who the advertiser was, and probably a good thing.

My favorite Bode quote while being interviewed: "I didn't get drunk too often"

His bloated face, extra 20 lbs. and f**k - it - all I had a good time anyway even - though - I - lost attitude were an embarassment to America. I absolutely cringed every time they interviewed him. It was like giving the finger to every one who supported him, not to mention the thousands of little kids out skiing every weekend who wanted to be "just like Bode"! USA skiing at this time is lower than a snake's belly in a wagon rut. The CEO should be fired for indulging this arrogant brat in the first place.

Bode needs to make a public apology to America, enter AA and hopefully fade from our memories.

"Like Butt-ahh!"
post #19 of 23 Old Mar 5th, 2006, 7:00 pm
Lifetime Supporter

poor sports

You all forgot about the Flying tomatoe Shawn White.

He has class and was a real decent sport.

Bode is a word I choose not use and disgrace to America.

If your going to mouth off like he does you better back it up on race day. Then when you loose to say you came for the experience? What a load of crapola!

I'll give him a experience. First time I ever cheered for the French! Just kidding here!

I cheered for any serious competitor regarless of nation. Sure I would like the USA to win, but no matter who wins if they earn it They got my cheer!

Mike G
Northen Illinois Packer Fan
K1200lt 2002
LT Trunk Latch Maker
post #20 of 23 Old Mar 5th, 2006, 7:12 pm

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonKMiller
--------------------------
Bode needs to make a public apology to America, enter AA and hopefully fade from our memories.
Who??

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.
post #21 of 23 Old Mar 6th, 2006, 12:15 am
Ted

absolutely - well said Ron! I'd love to be a fly on the wall in the marketing departments of the companies who decided to sponsor him, and listen to the justifications of those responsible for signing him.

Ted

Camarillo, CA
2012 Ducati Multistrada 1200S - Red
2007 R1200S - Black - Sold
2003 K1200LTC - Silver - Sold
IBA# 16554

post #22 of 23 Old Mar 6th, 2006, 3:23 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by dshealey
Who??
Bode Miller, the wanna be US Olympic skiier.

"Like Butt-ahh!"
post #23 of 23 Old Mar 6th, 2006, 6:41 pm Thread Starter

You got to give it up to Bode for one thing....When he screwed up on the GS, It made a very impressive highlight real! That one legged 60 Mile and hours balet act was cool. Too bad they don't give points for "Not Busting your Butt"!

Anyone see SASHA Cohen at the Academy awards last night? She's an Ice skater....why's she at the AA? Silver medal gets a complimentary Ticket. Good for her. I though she did a good job in the Olympics.

Dark Graphite

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in