BMW MOA Rally? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old Feb 23rd, 2006, 9:39 pm Thread Starter

Question BMW MOA Rally?

The wife and I were discussing our personal choices for destination rides this year. Her number one choice is the BMW MOA rally in Vermont. She is an avid reader of the BMW “On” magazine so she had her destination well researched. Even made hotel reservations a couple of weeks ago just in case hotel availability might be a problem and hamper our decision.

I am not opposed at all to the ideal but was wondering who has been and what kind and quality of rally it is? Like the idea of seeing old, new and everything in-between as it relates to BMW motorcycles. Does it have a large vendor attendance? Is it worth attending in general?

We are very knowledgeable about Vermont and have actually lived in New Hampshire for a few years. So that is reason enough to go but I am just curious about this specific BMW rally, as I have not actually met anyone who has been to one.

May we never find the end of the road!

oknplm

Perry Ridgway
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old Feb 23rd, 2006, 10:01 pm

Perry, the only "down" of an MOA rally is the time it takes to conduct the closing ceremonies - BMWRA does their closing ceremonies better and quicker. Otherwise, an MOA rally is superb - lots and lots of vendors, usually about 6,000 folks in attendance, lots of bikes to drool over or gaze at in amazement ("Did he really ride THAT near-basket-case all the way from Kalifornia?"). I find looking at a few hundred other LTs to be rather boring (the CCR experience) - I much prefer the variety of BMWs that one finds at an MOA rally. Last year's MOA rally in Ohio didn't have the best riding nearby - this year should be much better. I've got my motel reservation in Burlington, VT, with plans for a spin up to Canada afterwards.

- Bob

Cowboy Bob Menton
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Greenville SC USA
'07 K1200GT, '83 R80S (nee '83 R80RT)
'86 Honda CH-250 scooter (original owner)
"You can never escape the FOG (Fast Old Guys)"
post #3 of 11 Old Feb 23rd, 2006, 10:03 pm

Last year was my first year to attend the BMW MOA National Rally. And although I was only there for one day (and this year will be the same), I absolutely LOVED it! It's like a traveling BMW motorcycle museum. Just the parking lot is worth attending. Very cool. I'm looking forward to touring the New England states and ending my tour at the rally, then home.

post #4 of 11 Old Feb 23rd, 2006, 10:10 pm

Well worth the effort. I always enjoy the national rally.
post #5 of 11 Old Feb 23rd, 2006, 10:10 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Perry,

Same here, Last year was my first MOA rally, I am planning on heading up to Vermont as well.

I could answer "yes" to all your questions, I volunteered for a half day, they put in the vintage bike display...couldn't answer a lot of questions, so I became the gopher for the group...

Hopefully Vermont will be a lot cooler than Lima was...

Don G Norwood
11 R1200GSA w/DMC sidecar Radio Flyer IV
2015 G650GS, 1998 1200 C

"Oh Lord I pray, Just let me live long enough to do everything they say I have done"
post #6 of 11 Old Feb 23rd, 2006, 10:58 pm

If you love BMW motorcycles and motorcycles in general, love seeing all the latest accessories from ALL the major BMW vendors, love a nice ride to a pretty destination then you will enjoy the BMWMOA Rally. I have attended 2 MOA rallies so far and really enjoyed them I have also been a regular at Americade and the Honda Hoot. They are all great .... the nice thing about the MOA rally is the focus on BMW's only.

Ed Apelian
All it takes is an open road and an open mind!

'16 R1200RT - Platinum Bronze Metallic
'18 R1200GS - Light White

When life throws you a curve ...lean into it!
post #7 of 11 Old Feb 23rd, 2006, 11:21 pm

Vermont is a beautiful state and riding is challenging with lots of elevation changes, curves, and vistas. The MOA rally is well organized and there is something for everyone. The rally is centered around camping, but I always stay in a motel as at my age standing in line for a shower has lost its sparkle!

Check out the BMWMOA site and go to the rally forum for lots of info. The Vermont BMW club also has lots of info.

http://www.bmwmoa.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11

I hope to see you all there...

I've included a zip file with GPS waypoints for your enjoyment including about 75% of the covered bridges in VT.
Attached Files
File Type: zip VT Rally.zip (12.0 KB, 28 views)

'07 - R1200RT Slippery Silver

MOA #107139
RA #28511

Past rides:
'03 R1150RT - MAXed out
'03 K1200LTC - Gone to the Darko side
'00 Kawasaki Concours - Buzz
'71 Honda SL350 - The original dual-sport
'72 Kawasaki 250 triple - The smoking gun
'67 Montgomery Wards 125 - Thrashed to death

Last edited by BMWphreak; Feb 24th, 2006 at 3:54 am.
post #8 of 11 Old Feb 23rd, 2006, 11:47 pm
IBR# 366

Garage
Just be careful when coming in to small towns. Of course that goes for any state, really.

I got pulled over on the way to the Ben & Jerry's factory by a cop who swore I was doing 60 in a 45. I carefully explained that though I did see the 45 limit coming up ahead, I was still in the 55 zone and starting to brake when he clocked me. He didn't like it, but did eventually write me up for 5 over instead of 15 over. Having a clear license and paperwork and a pleasant but politely insistent attitude helped, I'm sure.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #9 of 11 Old Feb 24th, 2006, 6:30 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by meese
Just be careful when coming in to small towns. Of course that goes for any state, really.

I got pulled over on the way to the Ben & Jerry's factory by a cop who swore I was doing 60 in a 45. I carefully explained that though I did see the 45 limit coming up ahead, I was still in the 55 zone and starting to brake when he clocked me. He didn't like it, but did eventually write me up for 5 over instead of 15 over. Having a clear license and paperwork and a pleasant but politely insistent attitude helped, I'm sure.
And this was on the way to which BMWMOA rally?

Bill McAllister
St. Louis, MO.
2003 K1200LTE
post #10 of 11 Old Feb 24th, 2006, 8:56 am

Thumbs up

Last years rally was my first. Quite the variety of bikes. I ended up doing the camping thing. It was nice cause you could stumble to your tent following the party at the beer tent. Beer was unbelievably cheap. If you hung around the beer tent you made friends pretty quickly.
Choices for placing the tent were limited so you got the best sites if you got there early. Waiting in line to shower was not fun but if showered on the off times it wasn't to bad. Lots of vendors and alot of good instructional sessions.
The organizers did a fantastic job and the people who attend were very friendly.
Wish I could go this year.

Phil
post #11 of 11 Old Feb 24th, 2006, 12:18 pm
IBR# 366

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by McAllister
And this was on the way to which BMWMOA rally?
No Rally, and in fact it was in a rental car. But it was in Vermont. Actually, it is a fair warning regardless of state or vehicle driven, or destination for that matter.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in