Scam/Fraud alert - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old Feb 23rd, 2006, 4:18 pm Thread Starter
Cat Herder

Scam/Fraud alert

The following email was just received by one of my co-workers, and fortunately she was alert enough to forward the message to me to authenticate. Needless to say it is just another fraud/scam site. Be careful out there, whenever someone asks you "Just click here to log in" This usually is the first sign of scams/fraud sites/emails.

-----
Good afternoon, unfortunately some processings have been cracked by hackers, so a new secure code to protect your data has been introduced by Visa. You should check your card balance and in case of suspicious transactions immediately contact your card issuing bank. If you don't see any suspicious transactions, it doesn't mean that the card is not lost and cannot be used. Probably, your card issuers have not updated information yet. That is why we strongly recommend you to visit our website and update your profile, otherwise we cannot guarantee stolen money repayment. Thank you for your attention. Click here and update your profile.

Andreas Pleschutznig
'14 GSAW soon:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still in search of Occam's razor to cut a Gordian knot.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old Feb 23rd, 2006, 4:28 pm

Thanks for the heads-up andy. Basically, any time I'm asked to "verify information"...I pick up the phone and call. It's really the best way to know for sure.
post #3 of 10 Old Feb 23rd, 2006, 6:00 pm

Angry

You can also tell by the engrish is a bit off.

Just Go
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mike
Cleveland Ohio
2019 K1600b Grand America, Blue Max.

post #4 of 10 Old Feb 23rd, 2006, 6:40 pm
Ted

I will not respond to ANY request for information. My credit is perfect - and the companies still know where to send the bill. As long as the companies are still willing to do business, then they apparently have enough information!

Ted

Camarillo, CA
2012 Ducati Multistrada 1200S - Red
2007 R1200S - Black - Sold
2003 K1200LTC - Silver - Sold
IBA# 16554

post #5 of 10 Old Feb 23rd, 2006, 7:46 pm

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted
I will not respond to ANY request for information. My credit is perfect - and the companies still know where to send the bill. As long as the companies are still willing to do business, then they apparently have enough information!
Your credit WAS perfect... thank you very much for the new 06 LT I just bought on your AMEX. An awesome bike.

"Like Butt-ahh!"
post #6 of 10 Old Feb 23rd, 2006, 10:36 pm
Ted

damn....now I can't buy that Kontour seat I've been thinking about....

Ted

Camarillo, CA
2012 Ducati Multistrada 1200S - Red
2007 R1200S - Black - Sold
2003 K1200LTC - Silver - Sold
IBA# 16554

post #7 of 10 Old Feb 23rd, 2006, 10:48 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted
damn....now I can't buy that Kontour seat I've been thinking about....

Game, set and match goes to Ted!
post #8 of 10 Old Feb 24th, 2006, 4:36 pm

It's called "phishing". My daughter came to me in tears one night after getting an e-mail saying that her Paypal account was bad and they needed updated information. She settled down when I told her she didn't have a Paypal account. I explained the "phishing" to her. Next day she was so excited because she got an e-mail saying she had won $15 million in the British lottery and could she borrow $1500 to send in for a "security deposit" so her money could be released to her.

"C"mere, Chris, sit down and let me explain a few things....."

Dave
Monkton, MD
and Pawleys Island, SC
2002 K1200LTC
post #9 of 10 Old Feb 24th, 2006, 6:38 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daman858
Next day she was so excited because she got an e-mail saying she had won $15 million in the British lottery and could she borrow $1500 to send in for a "security deposit" so her money could be released to her.
"
That's amazing, because I won that very same lottery and I've already figured out a way to double my money, by sending some of it to this really nice guy I met from Nigeria.
Any day now I'll be able to buy all of my friends new LT's

Hans
St. Petersburg FL

2002 K1200LTE
"Silver Buffalo" Totaled 5/06
2005 LT
"Esperanza"
BushtecGenesisTrailer
"Our preferred long distance carrier"

post #10 of 10 Old Feb 25th, 2006, 9:49 am

All through January I had about 71 long lost relatives die in a car crash in April 2004 who all lived in Africa. Each one had left me, the closest living relative about 540 million dollars and all I had to do was give them my bank account number so the money could be deposited.

"BONES" <///><

2018 R1200RT
2002 K1200LTC--- Belle

"My wife and I have an understanding. I won't try to run her life and I won't try to run mine."

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in