First time at Bike Week, Daytona - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 Old Feb 22nd, 2006, 6:20 pm Thread Starter

First time at Bike Week, Daytona

My dad has invited me to Bike Week in Daytona. He is coming down from NJ and I will be riding down from AL.

I'm seeking advice from BMW riders that have been down to Bike Week in Daytona. I have heard BMW has offered guided demos on a few bikes and hosts other events during the week. Looking for other BMW related stuff to do also.

Any advice for first timers to Bike Week would be appreciated.

I'm riding a 2005 K1200LT down, anything to be mindful of on the K itself?

Thanks,
David Allen

Last edited by Crestwood330; Feb 22nd, 2006 at 7:17 pm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 Old Feb 22nd, 2006, 7:04 pm

Take Lots Of Money And Obey The Law!!!!!!!!
post #3 of 25 Old Feb 22nd, 2006, 7:39 pm

bike week

the camp ground about 20 miles north of daytona on Old Dixie Highway usually has loads of bmw bikes there. check it out. if you belong to bmwmoa they probably have a notice about it in the magizine. omurphy

post #4 of 25 Old Feb 22nd, 2006, 8:07 pm

Same here

I too am looking for advise on what to do. My wife has family down there so I have a place to stay not too far from the Speedway, but still what is all there to do? Ride around? Guided Tours? Or do you park the bike and end up walking most of the time?

The AMA Magazine this month has 7 pages of scheduled stuff and it sounds like Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday is when lots of happening. If I go is when I plan to be there, will be coming from Atlanta.

On the "obey the law" comment I second that, my wife's uncle and cousins said the "law" is extra carefull, and painfull to say the least during that week so stay on the "right" and I guess "good" side of the law.

Hopefully we will get some more posts on what to do?

Darcy Bastos
2007 FJR1300
2007 Ducati GT1000 Sport Classic
Atlanta, GA
post #5 of 25 Old Feb 22nd, 2006, 9:14 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Test Rides!

As previously mentioned, the current issue of the AMA magazine has tons of info. What caught my attention -- and the main reason I would want to go, having never been there -- is all the manufacturers' test rides at the Speedway. Sounds like it's pretty much 9-5 all week. Big chance to ride everything you've ever wanted to ride.

Maybe it doesn't work out that way, don't know -- haven't been there before. Maybe the manufacturers have 1 of each and it's a two-hour wait to ride a bike.

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2009 BMW K1200LT - 60k miles
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)
2005 BMW K1200LT - "Gray Ghost", traded at 120k miles
2005 Honda Shadow 650 (sold)
AMA, IBA, BMW MOA. CCRs: Braselton 2006, Osage Beach 2007, Duluth 2012

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
[/URL]
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 25 Old Feb 22nd, 2006, 9:14 pm

There's something for everybody.
Around the speedway is where you'll find many vendors and motorcycle manufactorers showing their latest models and of course demo rides.
On main street is where all the leather and chrome is sold and where flesh is displayed, its also a fun place to people watch, go there in the evening and find a place to "squeeze" your bike in and watch the worlds largest "costume" party. If you're so inclined ride your bike on the beach. I'm sure you realize its a HD oriented event so most of it is from bar to bar. Once you're in Daytona there will be many free publications available to tell you what's happening where and when. You'll spend way too much money and a lot of time stuck in traffic, you may even drink to excess. You'll meet lots of fun loving party-ing people and a bunch of total @ssholes. You'll learn why we call it "trailer" week. Since this is your first time you'll have a blast, oh and don't forget your EARPLUGS.

Hans
St. Petersburg FL

2002 K1200LTE
"Silver Buffalo" Totaled 5/06
2005 LT
"Esperanza"
BushtecGenesisTrailer
"Our preferred long distance carrier"

post #7 of 25 Old Feb 22nd, 2006, 9:44 pm

Cool Daytona things to do

Last year was my first time. Suggest buy a ticket to see the motorcycle races at the speedway, even the trials all week are awesome, drive/ride right into the center and go the the bleachers at the hairpin turn and you'll be glued to your seat. The track tourist tour on the "bus" is fun, as is the museum at the track. We have our tickets to the Daytona 200, 68 laps, on Sat. The races are what started the whole thing. Now, hardly anyone bothers to see them compared to "downtown", which is fun for one day.
Have Fun!
Mark
post #8 of 25 Old Feb 22nd, 2006, 9:55 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crestwood330

Thanks,
David Allen
Careful, on the LT you could easily end up in Key West, or Houston or LA or...

post #9 of 25 Old Feb 22nd, 2006, 11:12 pm Thread Starter

Keith,

I agree with you! I am planning a Key West trip this year. I might end up there a little early.

A beach trip to Apollo Beach is on the schedule for this trip along with a swing through St. Augustine on the way back. I'm not going to drive that far and not see the water.

I'm not much for crowds for an extended period of time. I will do the loop, some demo rides, and the museum. I never camped out overnight, but I might give it a try on this trip. I read about some helpful camping tips on BMWMOA.

Thanks to everyone for the input so far.

Dave Allen
2005 k1200lt, graphite
post #10 of 25 Old Feb 22nd, 2006, 11:22 pm

In Chit Chat see the thread "So whose all going to Bikeweek I posted on Jan 7. Don't be too discouraged at what you find there. This site has a bunch of Goom & Doomers that wish they were more popular than H-D riders (but they ain't). I've ridden a lot of two wheelers and love most anyone I've ever owned one way or another. If it's your first time make sure you have someplace "FOR SURE" to stay. It's pretty crowded that week! BMW. H-D/Buell. Honda, Yamaha, Kawasaki, Suzuki & Triumph have FLEETS of bike. You go out on aguided run for approx, 8-10 miles in some cases. Wait times vary. You MUST have a Valid MC endorsment on your license. Some make you wear boots, Gloves and full face helmets. others less. GET THERE EARLY AM 9 AM to be precise. BMW has a signup sheet and you have to get on it to ride the bike you want if that's gonna be a new K1200GT good luck! There will be a wait but probably not to long, I'll see you in the line!!. H-D you be there early and can ride as long as you go thru the line it gets long about 10am and worsens after that. Others I didn't bother with. Wanted to ride a Goldwing but took one for a ride at the shop where I live. There's a TON of stuff to see and do. The Track is accessable thru a tunnel, a REAL THRILL ride for a fee and if you're really into racing get the week long pass. PM me and I'll get you my phone # I still would like to see all the folks that were going and maybe we can set a date on here we can get together. Don't let the Nay sayers get you down, I've never had a bad time at Bikeweek but on this site? Sometimes it pays not to visit.
Brian

Brian A. Brodhead
God created all men, Samuel Colt made them equal

2005 BMW K1200LT Goldie goodtime plastic fm rock'n roamer
1975 Triumph T160 750 restored "Heather" For Sale
post #11 of 25 Old Feb 23rd, 2006, 6:43 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltcanup
I second these suggestions. Year before last it cost me about $ 400.00 for speeding ticket on Old #1 and ambulance chaser fees to get me off the hook as far as points were concerned. Just enjoy, there is something for everybody. Usually, we stay out of Daytona area, such as St. Augustine (about an hour out) to give us some breathing room. But, different strokes for different folks so do what is comfortable for you.
Leon
05 Blue LT
post #12 of 25 Old Feb 23rd, 2006, 8:01 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltcanup
Yelp. The Florida highway patrol got me where they set up at an intersection that changed from 60 mph to 45 mph at the intersection. I was in a group of four cars, second in line, all going the same speed. The trooper passed two vehicles to stop me. I asked him why he passed two to ticket me and he said 'it wasn't any of my business, he could ticket whoever he wanted'. I suspect the other two had Florida plates.

Steve
2005 K1200LT
post #13 of 25 Old Feb 23rd, 2006, 8:31 am

I'm leaving a week from Saturday for my 8th Bike Week in the last 15 years. The size of the event will amaze you. Try to stay off the the main streets like International Speedway Blvd. Get a local map and look for Mason, Nova Rd and Williamson to get around.

Check out the speedway for sure. That's where you will find all the demo rides and a big vendor area. You can park at the BMW dealer then walk to all the events on Beach Street. Main Street is just across the bridge from the BMW dealer, You have to check that out once. The Iron Horse north of town on US 1 is worth the trip. They have the original "Wall of Death" stunt riders.

If you want to get out of town, St Augustine and the Space Center are easy day trips.

If you don't have reservations, forget about getting a hotel room. The BMW campground north of town is a quiet, clean place to camp. Check out www.bmwbikeweek.com

If you are comming from the north I like to take hwy 100 from Lake City to Flagler Beach. It's alot better that the interstate and dosen't take much longer.
post #14 of 25 Old Feb 23rd, 2006, 8:36 am

bike week

I will be heading down for my 6th time....meeting up with Ralph Gray in Knoxville for a day of twisty fun and then shooting down to just south(New Smyrna Beach) of Daytona

Always a good time and lots to do. Hoping to get down a bit earlier so as not to miss the coleslaw wrestling!

Anybody coming from around Chicago or near Knoxville and wants to meet up...PM me.

Ron
post #15 of 25 Old Feb 23rd, 2006, 9:14 am

bike week from a native's view

I've lived here 5 yrs.
1) stop in BMW Daytona Shop
2) stop in Beach St Harley Shop, vendors in back. their club has ride routes in the area at their booth (one of the first you encounter on entering the back lot)
3) sites and sounds - main st, beach st, cabbage patch, north US 1 (Iron Horse - Broken Spoke - Destination Daytona)
4) your so MUST keep her top on in town. further north on US1 is the White (?) at Dixie Hwy, they're not so fussy. Continue E on Dixie Hwy to the gas station just before I95. That's where the campground is. They might ask you for $20 to go in but be sure they'll give it back when you leave. Last yr they kept $5 this yr they say they won't.
5) Bmw demo rides at speedway starting Tues - others Wed. Vendors at Spwy start Wed.
6) Come on up to Flagler Beach, enjoy on cool one on Finnegans Deck at A1A and Moody (only red light)
7) wear ear plugs (this should be #1 too)
I've got a couple of rides on my web page
www.geocities.com/dcwchfc/bikepage
Enjoy!!!!!!
post #16 of 25 Old Feb 23rd, 2006, 3:51 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crestwood330
My dad has invited me to Bike Week in Daytona. He is coming down from NJ and I will be riding down from AL.

I'm seeking advice from BMW riders that have been down to Bike Week in Daytona. I have heard BMW has offered guided demos on a few bikes and hosts other events during the week. Looking for other BMW related stuff to do also.

Any advice for first timers to Bike Week would be appreciated.

Thanks,
David Allen
Dave,

Also posted this in the Chit-Chat:

We've got a group riding down from B'ham leaving on Tuesday morning the 7th(not sure exact time) and returning on Sunday the 12th. We'll probably take the same route as last year...Hwy 280 through Alex City/Auburn to Columbus, GA then Hwy 83 through Albany over to Waycross, down through J'ville on Hwy 1 and pick up I-95 from there. We usually wind up staying in St. Augustine the first night, then get up and ride the rest of the way in the next morning. IIRC, we're staying at the Quality Inn in Ormond Beach Wednesday 'til Sunday.

We did the Interstate run (I-20/I-75/I-10/I-95) the year before and much prefer the new route. It onlky adds about an hour to the trip, but is much more scenic and you don't get white line fever.

You're more than welcome to hitch along with us. So far we've got 6 definite (Road King, Heritage Softail, Road Star, Concours, and me on the VFR), and one possible (he might trailer down his Aprilia RSV-R). I rode the LT last year and it was great on the trip down/back...I just hated riding it in traffic once I got there. I'll see how the VFR does this year (so far my longest trip has been 700 miles over two days...this'll be that same mileage one way).

We usually walk the vendor area on Beach street at least one day (and usually a second), go to the Supercross and Road Races, and hit Main Street a few nights. Another usual hang out is the Ocean Deck, and there's an Italian restaurant further south near Dunlawton Ave. that we eat at one night. Another tradition was Park's Seafood, but it was closed last year and we were told by Mr. Parks that it was slated to to be razed and have condos built on the lot by this year (bummer).
post #17 of 25 Old Feb 23rd, 2006, 4:20 pm

Thumbs up Bike Week

If you get a chance, go down to the Kennedy Space Center. I was at the Daytona 500 this past week and took a ride down to the Space Center. It is very intersting. I was at bike week in 2004. Stayed at the motel adjacent to the camp ground on the Old Dixie Highway. All the BMW riders were in the camp ground. We passed a good time.
post #18 of 25 Old Feb 23rd, 2006, 4:26 pm

I have gone every year. I have done one week, but by the third day you WANT to go home, from all the noise and traffic. It is fun. I know go for a day or two.

The International Speedway is were all the vendors and demos take place. I saw someone say early. If you find out what time the line opens you need to get there an hour or two early. I have tried a couple of time in the last two years, but just can not beat the early birds.

About the LEO's, I have a lot of friends that are Florida Highway Patrol and about the comment he could ticket anybody he wants, I am pretty sure that his side would be a little different. Most Florida LEO's will not mess with you if you are around 10 over, going the other way. I would not recomend passing one at that speed. Remember they trying to keep the peace with the community, and traffic flow is important. They also looking for the fools doing wheels, burnouts and drunks. Durning that time frame they work a number of traffic fatalities. Use common sense and you will not be bothered. Have fun. The races are on Saturday. Friday night is dirt races and Delona is flat track races which is west of Daytona a few miles.
post #19 of 25 Old Feb 23rd, 2006, 8:18 pm

Talking Bike week at Daytona

I live in NM now but I used to live in Florida. I bought my '85 K100RT in Florida. Daytona Bike Week can be loads of FUN. First I'd say find where the Space Coast BMW Riders Camp. It has changed since I was there last. The MOA probably knows. Three others are a must as far as I am concerned. Take a morning and go early to Main St., in Daytona. Any of the locals can tell you how to get there. Park and watch the most fabulous unauthorized parade of motorcycles and people. Next, the International Motorcycle Show at the speedway. BMW may be offering test rides, now, almost ever other manufacturer does. Take a day and ride them all. Last, and so many forget, watch the races. And enjoy, enjoy, enjoy. Maybe you too will notice a paradox concerning Harley riders at Daytona. People could have 3 digit IQ, but once they are on a Harley their IQ drops to single digits.
post #20 of 25 Old Feb 24th, 2006, 2:18 am

There is only one problem with Daytona- too much to do! I really enjoyed the Rat's Hole Custom Show, the auction in deLand, the short track(dirt) nationals at the Memorial Stadium, the Supercross and all the fabulous road racing. Eating at Steak 'n Shake was a trip down memory lane. Walking and riding on the beach right outside my motel room (250/night-5 night minimum) was lovely as well. And, finally, you can do what EVERYONE does and visit main street at night. It is a great week and I recommend it to all who love motorcycles.
post #21 of 25 Old Feb 24th, 2006, 4:27 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwb377
Another tradition was Park's Seafood, but it was closed last year and we were told by Mr. Parks that it was slated to to be razed and have condos built on the lot by this year (bummer).
He didn't tell you the whole story, 'course it might have changed some since last year............. Parks Seafood moved north on Beach St. to LPGA Blvd. Bought an old building & are in the process of remodeling. I don't know if they'll be open in time for Bike Week, but they *will* be back.

Jinks ('86fxrs, '07 FLTR)

Remember, "No good deed goes unpunished"
post #22 of 25 Old Feb 24th, 2006, 10:54 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinks
He didn't tell you the whole story, 'course it might have changed some since last year............. Parks Seafood moved north on Beach St. to LPGA Blvd. Bought an old building & are in the process of remodeling. I don't know if they'll be open in time for Bike Week, but they *will* be back.
Thanks for the heads-up! We'll have to check it out.
post #23 of 25 Old Feb 24th, 2006, 5:52 pm

There's lots to do as others have said. We usually hit a couple days of the races at Daytona and the National FlatTrack series at the fairgrounds one evening. I usually spend several days taking demo rides (my recommendation is to get there early if you have a specific ride in mind, around 0730, by 0900 almost all the bikes demo rides will be booked) The vintage motorcycle auction in Deland is really fun. Really neat to look at all the old and not so old bikes being auctioned off. Don Garlett's Drag Racing Museum is a nice half day ride away, you could spend all day in the museum! If the weather is nice go for a ride and find alligators in the wild, that's always fun. Make sure you go to several of the bike shows, Rats Hole is the biggest but theres plenty to go to. The ones on the boardwalk are free!

Unfortunately I will be missing it this year after going for the last 6 years. Always fun, always different. ENJOY!

WildBill
post #24 of 25 Old Mar 2nd, 2006, 11:06 pm

Seeing another new Daytona thread I'm gonna put this here too to get some attention and direct all those who want to to come by for a visit.
I started all this back in January. I'll be leaving for Gainsville on Sat. to watch the H-D drags there with a Harley buddy of mine then on Monday we'll be going to Daytona. Cell # 239-292-3331, Brian. Staying at KOA in Deland -Orange area. As I see it, some won't make it till later in the week some early. Let's have 2 informal meetings. Hop's, near the track is a great place for a gathering. Had a few Buell meets there in the past. Great scones and coffee!!!!! Let's say Tuesday and again on Thursday 11:30AM they might be open by then as I recall. Add cell #'s to your phones and have some way of saying BMWLT. COM on your person, a magic marker applied to one's forehead will do or... for those of you with spouses, their's Ouch!!! I guess when we see 10 Lt's in one place that's a pretty good indicator. Look for a Gold 2005, Florida tag and Gray seats, That'll be me. Any seconds?

Brian A. Brodhead
God created all men, Samuel Colt made them equal

2005 BMW K1200LT Goldie goodtime plastic fm rock'n roamer
1975 Triumph T160 750 restored "Heather" For Sale
post #25 of 25 Old Mar 3rd, 2006, 8:41 pm

I'm up for both Tuesday and Thursday since I have to work M,W, & F. I'll see you there.

Gary
"Life is Short; Live it Well"
'05 K1200LT "Max"

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in