Sirens, windnoise, hearing loss? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old Feb 21st, 2006, 7:07 pm Thread Starter

Sirens, windnoise, hearing loss?

I was given the task on find material on hearing loss. This comes form the article that was written in a motorcycle magazine and me wearing eye plugs on duty for a couple of years. One of your motors wanted to get some hearing plugs and found a store one that has an account the city. Has had earring loss and is blaming it on being on the motorcycle. So the city wants evidence. So hear is my question. Anything about hearing loss, with siren, wind noise, being a motorcycle cop??? I know this is long shot.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old Feb 21st, 2006, 7:59 pm

don't know if this helps

NIHL can be caused by a one-time exposure to loud sound as well as by repeated exposure to sounds at various loudness levels over an extended period of time. The loudness of sound is measured in units called decibels. For example, normal conversation is approximately 60 decibels, the humming of a refrigerator is 40 decibels, and city traffic noise can be 80 decibels. Examples of sources of loud noises that cause NIHL are motorcycles, firecrackers, and firearms, all emitting sounds from 120 to 140 decibels. Sounds of less than 80 decibels, even after long exposure, are unlikely to cause hearing loss.

http://www.nidcd.nih.gov/health/hearing/noise.asp

but they left out my Cessna 150 !

Just Go
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mike
Cleveland Ohio
2019 K1600b Grand America, Blue Max.
post #3 of 8 Old Feb 22nd, 2006, 1:13 am

Geez John - I did my time as a policeman but never thought of wearing "eye plugs" . Guess that would have cut down on some of the crap I saw

post #4 of 8 Old Feb 22nd, 2006, 4:16 am

John,

I have high frequency hearing loss in both ears. The audiologist says it is from my military service and police work---constant exposure to loud noise. I never wore ear protection.
I could give you the exact figures but my test paper is not at home.

Dave
Monkton, MD
and Pawleys Island, SC
2002 K1200LTC
post #5 of 8 Old Feb 22nd, 2006, 5:39 am

Cool

I would think firing a weapon without protection would cause more damage! Although we are all different. As part of my proffesion I have to have a complete physical every five years and hearing test is part of it, and at my last test passed with 100% hearing. Wife was amazed and says I have no excuse for not hearing her, says I have selective hearing loss, I cant hear her voice!!

NOGILLS2

Booze Brother# 69
2003 K1200LTE "BEERBURNER" RIP 07/21/09
2006 Aluma Trailer "AFTERBURNER" SOLD
2007 ST1300ABS "Quicksilver"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 8 Old Feb 22nd, 2006, 7:10 am
Lifetime Supporter

I too have almost complete high frequency loss in both ears (the left still has 25% capability to hear high freq) Caused by unprotected exposure to military and civilian heavy equipment and vehicles, hunting without hearing protection, somewhat illegal fireworks as a kid, etc. That all being said I rarely ride without earplugs no matter what the bike or helmet. Might as well try to keep what I have left.

I believe Motorcycle Consumer News did an article on this subject but I can't remember when. Perhaps a search of their archives would produce the info you need.

Matt
95 Honda Magna (sold)
97 R1100RT (sold)
00 LTc, Canyon Red "Tarkus" (sold)
01 F650GS (wifey's, sold)
01 Ducati S4 Monster "LittleOne"
04 R1150RT (turned to scrap)
99 R1100RT Tundra Green
Kalamazoo, MI
"Worry does not rob tomorrow of it's sorrow. It saps the strength of today."
post #7 of 8 Old Feb 22nd, 2006, 7:43 pm Thread Starter

Thanks for the information, and my typo where to see if you were paying attention. You hear me.
post #8 of 8 Old Feb 23rd, 2006, 3:48 pm
Lifetime Supporter

In the March 2003 issue of MCN they had an article titled: "Can You Hear Me Know?" If I remember right they covered the issue of noise while riding and the potential for hearing loss.

In the July 2004 issue of MCN they had a piece in the Medical Motorcycling section on Ear Plugs.

In the August 2005 issue of MCN they had an article on "Fatigue and MC Touring". I'm fairly certain they addressed the issue of noise.

Back issues can be obtained through their website.

Matt
95 Honda Magna (sold)
97 R1100RT (sold)
00 LTc, Canyon Red "Tarkus" (sold)
01 F650GS (wifey's, sold)
01 Ducati S4 Monster "LittleOne"
04 R1150RT (turned to scrap)
99 R1100RT Tundra Green
Kalamazoo, MI
"Worry does not rob tomorrow of it's sorrow. It saps the strength of today."

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in