GPS more dangerous than Cell Phones? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 29 Old Feb 20th, 2006, 7:47 pm Thread Starter
Bouncer

GPS more dangerous than Cell Phones?

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20060221/...tain_satnav_dc

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'04 Sprint RS Caspian Blue

"I am hoping for an asteroid impact to put all this climate change nonsense to bed."
-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 Old Feb 20th, 2006, 8:13 pm

Thanks Jeff

Now you tell me. Just after I ordered my new 2730.......

I guess it's all about driver management. IF you're not smart enough to realize how dangerous it is to take your eyes off the road on a bike, you're probably not gonna last long...

The GPS has to be a tool not an entertainment item... Pre-Program your route and use the voice prompts to help you stay on your intended track... I know everyone here realizes that distraction on a motorbike is a quick way to be a smear on the pavement...

Thanks for giving me something to think about.

John

Live and direct from the new earthquake capitol of the U.S. Jones, Oklahoma
08 Can-Am Spyder (Miss Lindy's)
03 R1200CLC Capri Blue "Flipper"

01 R1100RT Glacier Blue "Lucky"
91 R100GS "It'sNotAMoneyPit"
The voices in my head may not be real, But they have some good ideas!

"I like the wind in my face and Boobies on my back. No, Wait, I got that backwards"

post #3 of 29 Old Feb 20th, 2006, 8:19 pm

Cell phones scare me, dvd players and gps unit really really scare me. That is when in the vehicle of the average cager. Some people can handle all kinds of distractions and others can't handle any. I have always been against all restrictions placed on drivers. But now since I am riding the bike again, I am swaying towards the restrictions.

Brian Ley
WA State of mindless sheep
USA where everything is illegal
2007 K1200GT
2010 650GS
2000 k1200LT Sold but not forgotten
BMWOA 119892

post #4 of 29 Old Feb 20th, 2006, 9:46 pm

Exclamation Safety FIRST

I agree beyond a shadow of a doubt that GPS'es are more dangerous than cell phones. But I have come up with my own personal guideline to GPS use whether on either of my bikes, or in one of the cages. My rules is simple: After each keystroke or button press, I look up.

For instance...If I am looking for a Super 8 Motel on my 2610, here's what I do:
  • Press the 'Find' button
  • Look up
  • Press the 'Lodging' icon on the screen
  • Look up
  • Press the 'Filter' button
  • Look up
  • Type 'S'
  • Look up
  • Type 'U'
  • Look up
  • Type 'P'
  • Look up
  • Type 'E'
  • Look up
  • Type 'R'
  • Look up
  • Press the 'Space' key
  • Look up
  • Type '8'
  • Look up
  • Press the 'OK' button
This is a tad tedious and cumbersome...but it is SAFE. And that is all that matters to me. I think this method is even safer than pulling to the side of the road, personally. The only thing safer would be to pull into a rest stop, or gas station. But who has the time for all that?!
post #5 of 29 Old Feb 20th, 2006, 10:09 pm
Lifetime Supporter

I have even a better GPS method... I can't see the GPS text below the icons or even decipher the icons without reading glasses, so when I need to do a find, I stop. The only find I can do while riding is "take me home".

I have asked Garmin to have pity on us old folks and give the option of using no icons at all, and only use text menus that are of the size of the turn by turn directions.

GPS's may be a distraction for drivers, but I don't believe they are as bad a cell phones or the DVD players...or drivers that READ books while driving.

Current
2016 Yamaha FJR1300A (Cobalt Blue)
1973 Honda CL350 (Red)

Previous
2001 K1200LT Pacific Blue
and a long list...
post #6 of 29 Old Feb 20th, 2006, 10:38 pm

Cool

Joe has the right idea! Keep those eyes on the road! I'm guilty of the same tecnique Joe!

John

John & Marilyn Fisher
'00 K1200LTC "Katie"
'95 Triumph "Tigger"
'12 Triumph 800XC "Tigger II" (RIP)
'12 Triumph 1200 Explorer "Shadow Tigger"
Hillsboro, Oregon

post #7 of 29 Old Feb 20th, 2006, 11:38 pm

The large, VERY LARGE, majority of rearend collisions I investgate involve distraction. I have seen GPS, cell phones, passengers, kids, DVD players, stereo players, food, etc. cause collisions. People under estimate the distance a vehicle travels in a short time. A vehicle at 60 mph travels approximately 88 feet per second. It only takes 1 second of distraction to be in a collision.

At stop lights, I lane split up to the front, so I don't get rearended.

Mike
2005 BMW R1200GS
2003 Kawasaki KLR650
1977 Yamaha RD400
1976 Yamaha RD400
post #8 of 29 Old Feb 21st, 2006, 2:25 am

That particular survey doesn't yet appear on Privilege's own site, but a similar one does. I like the finding:
And itís male drivers who are most affected as one in five (22 per cent) confess to being captivated by scantily-clad women on adverts, compared to just one in ten female drivers by semi-naked male models (11 per cent).
Important stuff. What can be done about this?
post #9 of 29 Old Feb 21st, 2006, 5:01 am

I have to confess to being one of those statistics. It was my looking at the GPS as it was talking to me that caused me to rear end a mate (who unexplainedly stopped at a flashing orange light) in Holland last year. I was only doing about 25mph but managed to write off my FJR1300 and his ZZR1200 in an instant. With bike damage, recovery, hotel bills and air ambulance home Etc. the bill was well in excess of £25,000.
So it was a mistake I'll not quickly forget.
From now on, I just listen to it, and stop if I'm unsure of the directions given.

Only plus side is that I got an LT out of the whole mess.
post #10 of 29 Old Feb 21st, 2006, 6:49 am

Malcolm, I don't think it was the GPS. It was obviously those inferior brakes on that raggedy old FJR.
post #11 of 29 Old Feb 21st, 2006, 8:21 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikerd400
At stop lights, I lane split up to the front, so I don't get rearended.
Not a bad idea, but, illegal in most states!

Dave Frederick

Clinton UT
'05 Light Yellow Metallic LT

'05 Monochromatic Mulberry Red Triumph Rocket III

'12 Triple Black R1200GSA
post #12 of 29 Old Feb 21st, 2006, 6:23 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by messenger13
I agree beyond a shadow of a doubt that GPS'es are more dangerous than cell phones. But I have come up with my own personal guideline to GPS use whether on either of my bikes, or in one of the cages. My rules is simple: After each keystroke or button press, I look up.

For instance...If I am looking for a Super 8 Motel on my 2610, here's what I do:
  • Look up
  • Look up
  • Look up
  • Type 'S'
  • Look up
  • Type 'U'
  • Look up
  • Type 'P'
  • Look up
  • Type 'E'
  • Look up
  • Type 'R'
  • Look up
  • Press the 'Space' key
  • Look up
  • Type '8'
  • Look up
  • Press the 'OK' button
This is a tad tedious and cumbersome...but it is SAFE. And that is all that matters to me. I think this method is even safer than pulling to the side of the road, personally. The only thing safer would be to pull into a rest stop, or gas station. But who has the time for all that?!
Or safer yet at the last fuel stop maybe an hour from now I might need a hotel...look it up then. You can aford to take 2 min out of your ride I think.

Just Go

Mike
Cleveland Ohio
2019 K1600b Grand America, Blue Max.
post #13 of 29 Old Feb 21st, 2006, 6:47 pm

Quote:
The only thing safer would be to pull into a rest stop, or gas station.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwnahas
Or safer yet at the last fuel stop maybe an hour from now I might need a hotel...look it up then. You can aford to take 2 min out of your ride I think.
I already stated that option Michael. But I still don't consider this a viable option when I'm LD touring. When I stop for gas, I just bought myself 250 more miles. But I'm not always sure I want to go that far. But, sometimes I do. So...I go back to my original method of looking up a hotel about 30 minutes or so before I want to stop for the day. And using the "look up" method has proved to me VERY safe. YMMV
post #14 of 29 Old Feb 21st, 2006, 6:50 pm

Ya you did, (forgive me) just put an extra point to it. Yes, I stop to dial the cell phone too.

Just Go

Mike
Cleveland Ohio
post #15 of 29 Old Feb 21st, 2006, 6:56 pm

Dialing my cell phone on the LT is as easy as beeping the horn. One press of a button and I hear "Please say a command.". I can digit dial, or say a name and I'm being connected. Yessir...they finally have voice-activated cell phones down to a 'T'.
post #16 of 29 Old Feb 21st, 2006, 7:04 pm

Yep, my son has one of those fancy cell phones with voice rec, I don't. (yet)

Just Go

Mike
Cleveland Ohio
post #17 of 29 Old Feb 21st, 2006, 7:27 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
...For instance...If I am looking for a Super 8 Motel on my 2610, here's what I do:
  • Look up
  • Look up
  • Look up
  • Type 'S'
  • Look up
  • Type 'U'
  • Look up
  • Type 'P'
  • Look up
  • Type 'E'
  • Look up
  • Type 'R'
  • Look up
  • Press the 'Space' key
  • Look up
  • Type '8'
  • Look up
  • Press the 'OK' button
I prefer to go down the road typing everything in all at once, without taking eyes off the GPS screen, usually followed by holding my helmet in my lap and flossing my teeth; to save more time, I call ahead and make hotel reservations, then wave at people in cars as I pass them; it's funny to watch the expressions on their faces when they see you aren't touching the handlebars.

But seriously, Joe, that's a good technique. Some day when I have a GPS I'll be careful with it! An interesting topic for another thread would be: what have you seen drivers do that they shouldn't be doing (reading, eating, phone, shaving, maps, etc.).

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2009 BMW K1200LT - 60k miles
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)
2005 BMW K1200LT - "Gray Ghost", traded at 120k miles
2005 Honda Shadow 650 (sold)
AMA, IBA, BMW MOA. CCRs: Braselton 2006, Osage Beach 2007, Duluth 2012

[/URL]
post #18 of 29 Old Feb 22nd, 2006, 7:31 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwnahas
Yep, my son has one of those fancy cell phones with voice rec, I don't. (yet)
You don't need the cell phone, you need the service. I've had voice recognition capability on both my home and cell phone for several years.

http://www.bemyassistant.com/

Bill McAllister
St. Louis, MO.
2003 K1200LTE
post #19 of 29 Old Feb 22nd, 2006, 8:47 am
Miles of Smiles

Garage
Talking

"Look up
Press Range Button
Look up
HIPPIE IN THE ROAD IN FRONT OF ME"

So Dave, what happened to the Hippie?
post #20 of 29 Old Feb 22nd, 2006, 9:50 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by rspyder
I have even a better GPS method... I can't see the GPS text below the icons or even decipher the icons without reading glasses, so when I need to do a find, I stop.
Same here for the same reasons...It's the ONLY safe method.

Justin Case
02 BMW K1200LTE
97 Kawasaki Concours
81 Honda Goldwing

post #21 of 29 Old Feb 22nd, 2006, 4:15 pm

Question

[QUOTE=McAllister] you need

PLease explain

Jon Bush
' 09 RT
"SAPHIRE"
post #22 of 29 Old Feb 22nd, 2006, 4:20 pm

Did you follow his link? http://www.bemyassistant.com/
Seems pretty self-explanatory.
I think it's pricey for what it is . . . obviously Bill likes it.
post #23 of 29 Old Feb 22nd, 2006, 4:23 pm

Question

Quote:
Did you follow his link? http://www.bemyassistant.com/
Seems pretty self-explanatory.
I think it's pricey for what it is . . . obviously Bill likes it.

Sorry, still don't feel / see NEED

Jon Bush
' 09 RT
"SAPHIRE"
post #24 of 29 Old Feb 22nd, 2006, 7:31 pm

Joe, I can't find the "Look up" button on mine. Help!

Pete Jessen
CCR 02, 03, 04, 08, 10
post #25 of 29 Old Feb 22nd, 2006, 11:15 pm
IBR# 366

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjessen
Joe, I can't find the "Look up" button on mine. Help!
It's just above the "Any" key.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #26 of 29 Old Feb 23rd, 2006, 5:59 pm

Ron Ayres quoting Mike Kneebone in the book -Going the Extra Mile-, "The thing a GPS is most useful for is reporting the exact location of the accident you had because you were looking at the GPS receiver instead of the road."
post #27 of 29 Old Feb 23rd, 2006, 6:00 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by beemerlt
Important stuff. What can be done about this?
Keep your eyes in your head!

Blessings!
munson+

The Rev. John Munson
Vicar,
, Burkburnett, Texas
Vicar,
, Wichita Falls, Texas
2007 R1200RT "REV ZM"
IRON BUTT ASSOC. #37813
See my video:
post #28 of 29 Old Feb 23rd, 2006, 6:03 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlieg
Ron Ayres quoting Mike Kneebone in the book -Going the Extra Mile-, "The thing a GPS is most useful for is reporting the exact location of the accident you had because you were looking at the GPS receiver instead of the road."
I respectfully disagree. I'll take a talking GPS over a map in the map pocket of my tankbag any day.

But his statement is the main reason why I am so adamant about suggesting where a rider installs the GPS. In front of you and just below your line of vision is my suggestion. Any place else, and you're just asking for trouble.
post #29 of 29 Old Feb 23rd, 2006, 6:03 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveDragon
I think it's the Range Button on the GPS thats dangerous
LMAO! Oh, I needed that.

Blessings!
munson+

The Rev. John Munson
Vicar,
, Burkburnett, Texas
Vicar,
, Wichita Falls, Texas
2007 R1200RT "REV ZM"
IRON BUTT ASSOC. #37813
See my video:

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in