Russell Seat Rider Backrest Question - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old Feb 18th, 2006, 9:15 am Thread Starter

Question Russell Seat Rider Backrest Question

Howdy all. I received my new Russell seat yesterday. Went out to the garage this morning to install it. No instructions of any type are included with the seat. For the life of me I cannot figure out how to install the rider backrest. The steel tab that supposedly goes into the slot on the front of the passenger seat will only go in a short distance, .25"~ or so. After doing this, the rider seat will not go all the way down; without the backrest all is fine. I am going to try installing the backrest on the passenger seat first and try everything again and see what happens.
Oh, BTW; as much as I dislike Mr. Mike Corbin and his BMW seats he does include the 'male' BMW heated seat wiring connectors making for a very easy 'plug and play' installation. Russell does not do this, making for a PITA electrical installation-shame on Russell for not doing so and charging a high price for their seats. I only hope the intended 'comfort' factor with the Russell is as I expect!!

Thank you in advance for any suggestions!

Bruce Harris, Jr.
Burlington, NC USA
1995 Harley-Davidson FLHTCUI Anniversary Edition
2005 Bushtec Turbo +2
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old Feb 18th, 2006, 2:00 pm
Rider Journeyman

I have a Russell

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceHarrisJr
...For the life of me I cannot figure out how to install the rider backrest. The steel tab that supposedly goes into the slot on the front of the passenger seat will only go in a short distance, .25"~ or so. ....
Howdy Bruce,

1- Put the seat in the low position.
2- Put your left palm on the seat, back where the slot for the backrest opening is.
3- Holding the backrest steel, just above the lower hinge, put the end of the steel just into the opening, angled slightly downward.
4- Push down with your left palm and push the steel into the slot....kind of wiggling it and moving it downward into a more horizontal position.
5- Once it feels like it's into the slot, push it all the way to the stop.

I'll PM you with my cell number. Feel free to call me if you have any questions.

Bill "Omaha"

"Life may have begun at 44, but it didn't get thrilling until I shot past 100"

'04 K1200LT "Dieter" Titan Silver, FB 4/23/04
'06 K1200R "Wolfgang" White Aluminum Metallic, FB 6/7/05

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
RCB AMA, BMWMOA, Booze Brother "in training"
CCR: '04 Breckenridge CO, '05 Jackson Lake Lodge WY, '06 Chateau Elan GA, '08 Midway UT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 4 Old Feb 18th, 2006, 6:13 pm

Smile russell seat experience

My experience with Russell has been nothing but good. Ordered a seat from them for my 03 R1200CLC and promply trashed the bike 3 days after install. replaced bike with 04 CL needed to return trashed seat for fresh install on 04 seat pan. (also had a little adjustment as long as it was going to the shop) It came back perfect. heating units from the 03 were relocated to new seat (twice) and were Plug and Play.
The backrest has a very tight slot to fit into and the insertion angle needs to be perfect.
I was very happy with my experience with Russell and would not hesitate to use them again If I decide to replace the seat on Goldie

Toby in New York
1983 R80RT Red (sold)
'03 R1200CLC (T-boned and replaced with)
'04 R1200CL Sidestand problem, BMW traded me for
'05 K1200LT. Goldie, Priceless
Lusting after K1600 GTL

post #4 of 4 Old Feb 18th, 2006, 6:34 pm Thread Starter

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceHarrisJr
Howdy all. I received my new Russell seat yesterday. Went out to the garage this morning to install it. No instructions of any type are included with the seat. For the life of me I cannot figure out how to install the rider backrest. The steel tab that supposedly goes into the slot on the front of the passenger seat will only go in a short distance, .25"~ or so. After doing this, the rider seat will not go all the way down; without the backrest all is fine. I am going to try installing the backrest on the passenger seat first and try everything again and see what happens.
Oh, BTW; as much as I dislike Mr. Mike Corbin and his BMW seats he does include the 'male' BMW heated seat wiring connectors making for a very easy 'plug and play' installation. Russell does not do this, making for a PITA electrical installation-shame on Russell for not doing so and charging a high price for their seats. I only hope the intended 'comfort' factor with the Russell is as I expect!!

Thank you in advance for any suggestions!
Okee doe kee...I've installed the rider backrest, just had to scratch my head more than I'm accustomed to in figuring it all out!

Bruce Harris, Jr.
Burlington, NC USA
1995 Harley-Davidson FLHTCUI Anniversary Edition
2005 Bushtec Turbo +2

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in