a boat to retire with - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old Feb 17th, 2006, 4:35 am Thread Starter

a boat to retire with

Hey Folks,
MY wife and i are not due to retire some many,many years to come yet, but our dream would be to get ourself a boat with a kitchen and king size bed for us to sleep on and a set of single bunks to carry any of our grand children.id like a boat with some kind of ramp on it so i can park a motorcycle on it, be it the LT or what ever i have at the time.
Any suggestions for a boat.we dont want a sail boat, a power boat of some description.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old Feb 17th, 2006, 7:04 am

Cool

Dezrae: Look into a dutch barge type vessel, I have had my eye on one for a couple of years, They are not fast but have a lot of room. I have been investigating building a modified one. twin engines, and electric bow thruster, and she would handle under the most adverse conditions, (high winds). In Europe they are plentiful. I think 70' by 17/18' would be a dream. you could have two berths, two heads, lounge and galley. A lift and davit for the LT, and yawl.

I would love to depart New Orleans and head east on the ICWW to Fl, turn north on the ICWW to New York, up the Hudson to the Erie canal to the Great Lakes to Chicago then south on the Miss back to NOLA. I suspect you could take a year or more to make this trip.

Dream machine off now.

NOGILLS2

Booze Brother# 69
2003 K1200LTE "BEERBURNER" RIP 07/21/09
2006 Aluma Trailer "AFTERBURNER" SOLD
2007 ST1300ABS "Quicksilver"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 14 Old Feb 17th, 2006, 6:18 pm

LT, or any other motorcycle fo rthat matter, woul d probably not do well that close to salt water. You'd probably have a time dealing with corrosion. Good idea though!

post #4 of 14 Old Feb 17th, 2006, 7:25 pm

Cool

Check out Grand Banks. They are pricey but built like a tank and have a good reputation for live aboard situations. There are a ton of websites and magazines all about live aboard boating and other boats to look at. Good planning will get you what you need.

Have fun looking around!
post #5 of 14 Old Feb 17th, 2006, 7:29 pm

I have lived aboard for for 15+ years, Gunny's right, if you want to pack a bike on a boat think cheap disposable scooters. Or have staff to constantly clean. A small crane is the way to load. It allows for the myriad pier designs you'll encounter. You'll have to read a ton and explore boats a little further to determine your needs before you shop. Your question as posed above is a little broad. Akin to asking,

" I want to go for a drive, what car is good?"

You can have whatever you want in a boat... all it takes is money, lots of it.
post #6 of 14 Old Feb 18th, 2006, 6:54 am

Have a 1990 46' Grand Banks for sale if you are interested. Did the LOOP trip with her -- left Florida, east coast ICW, Hudson River, Erie Canal, Trent -Severn Canal, Great Lakes, Tennn-Tom, back to Florida -- and lived aboard for 4 years. Great boat! Unfortunately, by wife could never get over her sea sickness.

Thought about replacing the dingy with a bike, but the corrosion problems with salt water and salt air would create too much havoc.

God bless:

Chick

Saved by Grace -- Ephesians 2:8-9

2005 Graphite LT

BMWMOA #118809

NRA Life Member

post #7 of 14 Old Feb 18th, 2006, 7:48 am

post #8 of 14 Old Feb 18th, 2006, 1:59 pm
IBR# 366

Garage
But there's no price on that one. I guess we'll have to keep looking.

The worst thing is we've all already paid for that boat, and continue to do so every time we fill up the fuel tank.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #9 of 14 Old Feb 18th, 2006, 8:21 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by simoncharles

And it's ONLY the 6th largest in the world. Bah, barely worth having...
post #10 of 14 Old Feb 19th, 2006, 1:31 am Thread Starter

Talking

Well if we're going to go nuts with boats, might as well have the biggest aircraft carrier i suppose in the world

http://www.guinnessworldrecords.com/...recordid=43675

on the flight deck rather then launch planes, i could set up some sort of motorcycle test rack i guess and go nuts with it while my bride sets course for our next destination and takes the wheel and pilots us there
post #11 of 14 Old Feb 19th, 2006, 11:44 am

There is a bunch of guys in Northern Ontario who have a bunch of converted tugboats - a few are still ready to tow ore carriers if needed. Was offered a *ferrying* around a road washout, but no one had the requisite ramp.

As to the salt water problem - convert the aft cabin!

Jim Taylor
Minneapolis
07 Black LT "Dancing Heart", 03 Quantum "Ice"
02 Black LTC "Raven" (RIP 8/26/06)
08 Can-Am Spyder (hers) (#731)
post #12 of 14 Old Feb 20th, 2006, 2:23 am

Talk about a hostile environment for electronics. I was watching a programme about these guys rowing the Atlantic. Most of their electrical/electronic equipment (such as Sat phone, GPS, water maker etc.) failed, when their boat was capsized by a freak wave and became flooded. Presumably all their equipment was 'marine' rated, but it STILL failed...
post #13 of 14 Old Feb 20th, 2006, 6:38 am

Ever think about *sail* power? Wind is free... although somewhat unpredictable (skill and art).

Chuck J

02 K1200LT (Black Beauty)

New friends make it all worthwhile!!! Smile, its catching.
post #14 of 14 Old Feb 21st, 2006, 1:59 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksailor
Ever think about *sail* power? Wind is free... although somewhat unpredictable (skill and art).
Yes, sail would be my choice too, but I've yet to see a sail-powered boat with king-sized bed that doesn't require a large crew to handle. In fact, bed space seems to have a low priority to the purists, as the boats I saw with more intelligent cabin design (at a boat show) were sneered at by rivals as being 'low performance'.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in