Dagned MC crash vids! - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old Feb 16th, 2006, 5:46 pm Thread Starter

Dagned MC crash vids!

All these MC crash videos lately. What, with all the Dash and Helmet cams.
That, Combined with the fact that an old neighbor of mine was killed recently while taking her husband's Triked Harley on a leisurely stroll on a quiet back street, (No other cars involved...just lost control and flipped it on top of her)
I have been seriously thinking about getting out of the MC riding business.
It's not that my love for the sport is waning, I just think a lot about having two young kids still at home.

There also seems, lately to have been quite a few members here that have gone down. Maybe I'm just thinking out loud and it probably wouldn't mean as much if I were retired or my kids were grown.

I know that ultimately it's my decission to weigh the risks...and I am very carefull but....
Anyone else ever struggle with this??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old Feb 16th, 2006, 6:02 pm

If anything - ride'n is likely safer these days. New bikes, new tech, new gear, etc.

Just a lot more riders and a lot easier to share the bad news.

Tends to 'inflate the impression' that there's lots o bad going on. Methinks that's an illusion.

Be interesting to see some real 'per capita' accident rates as well as survivability rates.

Tate

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

02 Mauve - my 'Light Truck'
Wyoming Immigration Officer, Cyberhiway tour guide and
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 12 Old Feb 16th, 2006, 6:13 pm

Your lifetime odds of dying are the following (2002 data):

Motorcycle 1 in 1,159

Bicycle 1 in 4,857

Trike 1 in 177,380

Car 1 in 228

A fall 1 in 229

Accidental poisoning 1 in 212

Complications of medical care 1 in 1,310

http://www.nsc.org/lrs/statinfo/odds.htm

Odds of getting through life without dying ... 0

Serious, I wouldn't blame anyone for getting out of motorcycling for any reason. It's they'er personal choice. Having a family can be a very valid reason for not riding.

Vince Weidig

2000 LT - LandyachT
2005 Ural Patrol
2003 Artic Cat ATV - Horse
Bayliner Cutty Cabin - Anytime
Airstream B190 -

post #4 of 12 Old Feb 16th, 2006, 6:13 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macker
I know that ultimately it's my decission to weigh the risks...and I am very carefull but....
Oh yes, struggling with it all the time.

I have had three bad accidents, totaled two LTs, and the second accident should have totaled that one.

My wife sure does not want me to get another bike, since she has had three phone calls now, and the last one really freaked her out.

She has said that if we get our home here in CA sold and move back east closer to relatives I can get another one. She just does not want to be stranded out here in CA if I don't come back next time.

That, and the underlying worry about what happened on two of my accidents, which still haunts me as I just cannot bring back detail of the seconds just before either one of them. I am pretty sure the first one was dehydration, and my doctor led me to that thought, but the last one I just cannot explain. I still do not know what distracted me long enough to run off onto the left shoulder on the interstate. I would have been fine, but hit the only torn up spot on the shoulder for miles! We went back and looked after I got out of the hospital.

I loved the LTs, and the 120,000 miles I put on them (well all but a few seconds ), and would buy another one if the family were to buy into it a little.

Really like this web group also, evidenced by the fact that I am still here, even though I have not had a bike for 15 months now.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.
post #5 of 12 Old Feb 16th, 2006, 6:25 pm
Lifetime Supporter

the decision

Mike,
Think about it? Yup, just enough to give me "the edge". Then ride like you mean it.

Practice, practice, practice.. ATGATT... an acronym to live by. Let's not forget my favorite.. "Pto the 7th factor ... " you know.. Prior proper planning prevents positively poor performance.

"Thinking" about it is normal.. welcome to being an ADULT! Now, enjoy your childhood.

All 3 of my sons ride... scares me. Now I know what my folks experienced.

So, hope you stay a rider... teach your kiddo's... we need more of 'em!

Peace..

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

post #6 of 12 Old Feb 16th, 2006, 10:06 pm
Lifetime Supporter

I'm a new rider (just started last summer). Age 49. I use the crash photos and videos to help me understand how a crash can happen, what might be possible to avoid it, and the right gear to get. Yes, they can make you think sobering thoughts, but they can also be educational/useful. Ultimately we each have to make a very personal decision to ride or not. Good luck with yours. I think age and maturity help improve the odds. At least, I hope that's the case!

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2009 BMW K1200LT - 60k miles
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)
2005 BMW K1200LT - "Gray Ghost", traded at 120k miles
2005 Honda Shadow 650 (sold)
AMA, IBA, BMW MOA. CCRs: Braselton 2006, Osage Beach 2007, Duluth 2012

[/URL]
post #7 of 12 Old Feb 17th, 2006, 3:15 am
IBR# 366

Garage
At the end of the day it's your decision, Mike. Your family and your responsibilities can influence that decision, but ultimately it's a decision that only you can make.

My wife and I have also talked about this. She's fine with the bike and understands its risks. She was a passenger long before she met me, and has said if she didn't trust me she wouldn't get on the bike. She's less comfortable with my Long Distance riding, but knows it's a passion for me. She also knows that I do everything I can to minimize the risks, and that while pushing my limits is part of the process, so is stopping before those limits are reached.

And the simple truth is if something terrible happened, then at least it would be a result of me doing something I love. You can always stay home and hope you don't slip in the bath, or you can learn to live life the best that you can.

Keep in mind that we don't have children to account for. That can change the equation, but again only you can decide how much.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #8 of 12 Old Feb 17th, 2006, 6:04 am

mc

It is a viable concern. I had my first bike at 18 in high school and don't know how I lived thru the first 12k miles I put on it in 6 months. There was no internet, no one to tell me anything, I just rode and learned on my own.

Never bought another running bike until my kids got near and over 18. I rode mountain bikes for 25 yrs while my kids were growing up. I have been injured several times (commuting, hitting cars, etc, 15k miles on one bike!) on the mountain bike, sewed up pretty good once, only minor injuries on motorcycles. But I dragged the kids all over with a baby bugger behind the bicycle, they always had a blast and so did I.

I was in big brothers for 10 yrs just before my daughter was born, started with an 8 yr old who lost his dad in a motorcycle crash when he was 3. When you see how it affects kids, it makes you think a little harder about what your doing. That kid wanted nothing more in life than a dad.

Gave up skydiving too, when I had kids.

Reel forward to lets see, about 48 yrs of age, I bought an FZ1 and put 40k miles on it. Sold it and bought the 2002 LTC, 60k miles now. No accidents, a couple of slow speed low sides, no injuries to speak of (a bruise).

I will never quit riding now, even if it kills me

But..been there, I can understand the concerns because I've lived them.

Good luck on your decision...geo
post #9 of 12 Old Feb 17th, 2006, 6:30 am

Bikes are the only way I and my kids survived the teenage years. You'll understand when they're teenagers.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

-=grif=-

Grok
post #10 of 12 Old Feb 17th, 2006, 6:51 am

Cool

In May 1979, the morning I brought home my wife and first born son, I wrecked a Suzuki 750, and they put me in the hospital that afternoon, tshirt & blue jeans, I was wearing a helmet, you could stick your fingers through the holes in the helmet, I put the rear windscreen out with my head and landed on my head and shoulder in the street in front of the car. That day was the last day I rode for 26 years. Wife and I discussed raising kids and the future, and that I could return to riding after the kids were grown, we have 3 boys, the youngest is now 22.

Last Febuary I purchased an LT, and have been having a ball, I have ridden 20K miles this past year. MSF beginner and advance class, this web site, and many of you, I credit for a successful year.

To ride or not, is a decision that you and your wife will have to decide. I dare say that what ever decision you come to you will be supported by this group.

NOGILLS2

Booze Brother# 69
2003 K1200LTE "BEERBURNER" RIP 07/21/09
2006 Aluma Trailer "AFTERBURNER" SOLD
2007 ST1300ABS "Quicksilver"

post #11 of 12 Old Feb 17th, 2006, 8:06 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macker
nope. life without two wheels ain't life. i knew it the first time i rode a bike ... even though i promptly crashed into the pickup that hauled it to that cow pasture. i am a lifer.

you are too, i'll bet. you might leave for a while but you'll be back.

there is no substitute.
post #12 of 12 Old Feb 17th, 2006, 3:45 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBandit
nope. ... even though i promptly crashed into the pickup that hauled it to that cow pasture.
LMAO! Sorry Gary

Thanks everyone.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in