legal scholar? read on ... - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old Feb 15th, 2006, 10:20 am Thread Starter

legal scholar? read on ...

i found the comments of supreme court justice antonin scalia interesting ... and a bit surprising. but i'm neither a lawyer nor a legal scholar. what's your take?

link here:

http://aolsvc.news.aol.com/news/arti...00010000000001

p.s., it is an associated press (AP) story, so if you only believe in "mudville gazette" type stories you may as well not link to it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old Feb 15th, 2006, 10:34 am

I guess all those silly admendments should never have been added.

JFK said: "Change is the law of life. Those who only look to the past or the present are sure to miss the future."
post #3 of 8 Old Feb 15th, 2006, 5:36 pm

The AP article looks to me like a hatchet job that intentionally fails to enlighten the reader on the debate between those who support the idea of a "living Constitution" and those who promote "originalism" (often mistaken for "strict constructionism"). Justice Scalia is a thoughtful and intelligent man; I suspect the quotes in this piece were taken out of context. Note that even though I respect Scalia, I strongly disagree with much of his judical philosophy.

Gerhard, if you have access to an archive of National Journal or Legal Times (through your local library, Lexis-Nexis, or subscription, perhaps), I would be glad to point you to some excellent articles that illuminate these philosophies and their nuanced differences. You could also try browsing the Wikipedia.

Best,
Nathan

post #4 of 8 Old Feb 15th, 2006, 6:35 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nath3an
The AP article looks to me like a hatchet job that intentionally fails to enlighten the reader on the debate between those who support the idea of a "living Constitution" and those who promote "originalism" (often mistaken for "strict constructionism"). Justice Scalia is a thoughtful and intelligent man; I suspect the quotes in this piece were taken out of context. Note that even though I respect Scalia, I strongly disagree with much of his judical philosophy.

Gerhard, if you have access to an archive of National Journal or Legal Times (through your local library, Lexis-Nexis, or subscription, perhaps), I would be glad to point you to some excellent articles that illuminate these philosophies and their nuanced differences. You could also try browsing the Wikipedia.

Best,
Nathan
hi nathan ...

i have no doubt that scalia is thoughtful and intelligent but he is a bit too conservative for me, too.

i expect you are right about his quotes being taken out of context. i was looking for the scalia story at other sources and it appears no one has picked it up. seems a very odd statement for ANY supreme court justice to make.

i have web accesss but not subscriptions to those two journals. are subscriptions required?

cheers ...
post #5 of 8 Old Feb 15th, 2006, 7:22 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by nath3an

Best,
Nathan

Nathan I have access to all of those databases and much more. I've been looking for a real honest to goodness constitutionalist legal scholar. I'd really like to see the links. PM me or email me. Wikipedia has about zero credibility in the world I'm writing for.

sam
post #6 of 8 Old Feb 15th, 2006, 7:28 pm
IBR# 366

Garage
He may well be intelligent and well spoken, but referring to himself in the third person doesn't tend to support that theory.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #7 of 8 Old Feb 15th, 2006, 10:21 pm

Samuel,

Start with National Journal's cover story from July 23, 2005, "What Kind of Justice?" by Stuart Taylor Jr. While not directly about the subject of this thread, at least half the article is relevant.

If you want to learn about the author, Stuart's bio can be found at http://www.brookings.edu/scholars/staylor.htm along with some of his other writings.

Stuart's on the conservative side, but only occasionally to a fault. He doesn't hesitate to criticize when offended by something like the Harriet Miers nomination or Bush's claims of expanded executive powers post 9/11.

When William J. Brennan retired from the court in 1990, Stuart was on the long list of possible nominees.

You will find that Stuart writes a weekly column for National Journal (which is reprinted by Legal Times) which provides a usually insightful look at current legal events; though with the recent Supreme Court vacancies he's been a bit one-sided recently.

If you find Stuart's article of interest but too shallow, let me know. I can recommend some deeper writings. :-)

Enjoy,
Nathan
post #8 of 8 Old Feb 15th, 2006, 10:29 pm

Gerhard,

I just checked the Legal Times site; looks like it's $200/year.

National Journal is considerably more. But in looking around their web site I noticed that the Taylor cover story I recommended to Samuel is avalible for free. Point your browser to

http://nationaljournal.com/about/njw...05/0722nj1.htm

Nathan

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in