Road Rash... off the richter scale. - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 32 Old Feb 14th, 2006, 8:49 pm Thread Starter

Unhappy Road Rash... off the richter scale.

Pay attention...

DISCLAIMER!

This post is over on Advrider. They don't practice the same decorum we do here.
This girl came off a gixxer at over 100mph.
The post is graphic, maybe not work safe.The pics are painful to see but not gratuitous.

They'll make an ATGATT believer out of you. Her story and explanation is cut and pasted in down at post #8 in the thread.

Don't say I didn't warn you.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=119359
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 Old Feb 15th, 2006, 12:47 am
IBR# 366

Garage
Wow. There's so much wrong there I can't even begin. It really points out the difference with the girl who binned her R1 but came of much better due to ATGATT and much more experience. And I feel for the girl's predicament, but she really does come off as a clueless bimbo. I'm glad she doesn't blame her boyfriend, but falling off a bike at 120+ is not an "accident".

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #3 of 32 Old Feb 15th, 2006, 8:52 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by meese
Wow. There's so much wrong there I can't even begin. It really points out the difference with the girl who binned her R1 but came of much better due to ATGATT and much more experience. And I feel for the girl's predicament, but she really does come off as a clueless bimbo. I'm glad she doesn't blame her boyfriend, but falling off a bike at 120+ is not an "accident".
Hey Meese, I know I am old but not dumb enough not to ask. What is ATGATT??

Fred Rosenbaum
NF1U
2006 K1200LT Totaled
2005 R1200GS

post #4 of 32 Old Feb 15th, 2006, 9:23 am

Wink

ATGATT=All The Gear All The Time! I follow it religiously Fred.
(From an Old Coastie Chief!)

John

John & Marilyn Fisher
'00 K1200LTC "Katie"
'95 Triumph "Tigger"
'12 Triumph 800XC "Tigger II" (RIP)
'12 Triumph 1200 Explorer "Shadow Tigger"
Hillsboro, Oregon

post #5 of 32 Old Feb 15th, 2006, 11:02 am
Lifetime Supporter

ATGAAT? Yes, I do now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaFish
ATGATT=All The Gear All The Time! I follow it religiously Fred.
(From an Old Coastie Chief!)

John
When I first started riding (a whole 7 months ago) I was wearing a helmet and street clothes; no gloves, Dockers-style slacks, maybe a leather jacket. Did not have any experience seeing or reading about these types of accidents, and didn't give much thought (my own fault, of course) to what WOULD happen if/when one has a get-off. After seeing enough photos/videos like these, and reading here and on other sites about various injuries, I have added tall heavy leather boots, gloves, an armored coat and overpants to my wardrobe. It's ATGAAT for me now, and also for my wife, who rides passenger once in awhile.

These photos and stories can and do serve as reminders to others just like me who didn't know better but should have. Gotta learn some way; I'd rather not do that from personal experience.

Semper Paratus, John!

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2009 BMW K1200LT - 60k miles
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)
2005 BMW K1200LT - "Gray Ghost", traded at 120k miles
2005 Honda Shadow 650 (sold)
AMA, IBA, BMW MOA. CCRs: Braselton 2006, Osage Beach 2007, Duluth 2012

[/URL]
post #6 of 32 Old Feb 15th, 2006, 11:32 am

I have WAY too much personal experience now, and can say for sure that ATGATT is the way to go, period.

The only accident of four I have had where this was not the case was on my BSA in the late '60's. Had quite a bit of road rash on my legs, but since it was pretty cold I did have on a leather jacket, but no helmet. I ended up with 17 stitches in the back of my head, and a big purple bruise on my chest where my chin hit!

I have unfortunately had three bad accidents on LTs now, but always with full gear and a good helmet. Suffered a few broken bones, but NO road rash to speak of.

I thank the LT for one thing though, no broken bones and onlly one bruise from the waist down!

Good helmets have been the real saver though, as I am absolutely positive that I would not be here now after one of the accidents, and likely the not last one either if I had not been wearing a good one.

On the second LT accident, the one in Arkansas where the pickup truck swerved into me, I had a VERY hard hit to the left side of my helmet, the whole left side of my face from forehead down onto my neck was purple, eye swelled completely shut, and stitches over my eyebrow. That hit would almost certainly have been fatal without the good shock absorbtion of the Arai helmet. My head hit the top of the truck's cab, HARD! I was knocked out for a couple of minutes at least.

The last accident, where I bounced down I-8 from about 80 MPH really did some helmet damage, hard hits'slides in four different places around the helmet, different directions. Even if I would have survived that without a helmet, I would have been really messed up. As it was, only a little road rash on my nose and upper lip, healed completely in a week.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.
post #7 of 32 Old Feb 15th, 2006, 12:20 pm

Thanks guys,

I guess I am a ATGATT kinda guy except I dont always wear me overpants. Guess I am going to have to work on that.

Fred Rosenbaum
NF1U
2006 K1200LT Totaled
2005 R1200GS
post #8 of 32 Old Feb 15th, 2006, 11:54 pm

Cool

Semper Paratus to you as well Howard! And don't these kids that are doing our old job these days make you swell up with pride? The one federal agency who actually got a commendation from Congress for the job they did after Katrina!

Fred, I was also remiss in wearing something other than just my Levis till I went down with the LT in some gravel a few years ago. Ripped open kneecap and over a dozen stitches later I decided that I had better start wearing ALL the Gear, not just some of it! And with what they make these days, there really is no valid excuse not to. Other than laziness or vanity! With the mesh gear you can even stand it in the extreme heat. I have an oversize pair of mesh pants that I can easily slip over my Dockers or Levis for my short commute to work. Or the Kilamanjaros for the cold/wet weather. I don't care if I'm only going to the corner drug store, I'll still suit up!

There was a time, many decades ago, when I felt proud of the fact that I was wearing a leather jacket and a helmet! And on the hot So Cal days it was just a T-shirt! I guess wisdom comes with age. Some of us are just lucky to still be alive to excercise that wisdom!

John

John & Marilyn Fisher
'00 K1200LTC "Katie"
'95 Triumph "Tigger"
Hillsboro, Oregon

post #9 of 32 Old Feb 16th, 2006, 12:30 am
IBR# 366

Garage
Yeah, pants are the easiest thing to ignore. But I can attest, Levis are useless against pavement so you might as well be naked from the waist down.

Like John said, the trick is to make it as simple and comfortable as possible. That means mesh pants will full length leg zips (easier to get over your boots) in the heat, and waterproof pants (again with the full zipper) in the cold and wet. Or maybe mesh pants year round with a set of Frog Toggs when needed.

I hate to put on my current pants (no long zipper) so I don't wear them for short trips. But I really need to get better gear to sort that little problem out, before I end up like blondie above.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #10 of 32 Old Feb 16th, 2006, 7:07 am

I can fully attest to the ATGATT thang, got the scars to prove it.

Haven't been down in a leetle over 15 years and my get off at 60 mph on January 28th left not one, single centimeter of road rash. Not one!!!

I'm still looking for the baseball bat that some sneaky SOB used on me in the process, though.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

-=grif=-

Grok
post #11 of 32 Old Feb 16th, 2006, 7:33 am

I know my son is always on my case, he is obviously smarter than me and uses all his gear all the time but he commutes in the DC area. I just feel like the michlien rubber guy. I would like to go to a "stitch" but i am pretty big guy and they would have to bring in Omar the tent maker to construct a suit for me. But I promise myself that i am going to try harder and put the overpants on.

Fred Rosenbaum
NF1U
2006 K1200LT Totaled
2005 R1200GS
post #12 of 32 Old Feb 16th, 2006, 10:10 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by meese
... Like John said, the trick is to make it as simple and comfortable as possible. That means mesh pants will full length leg zips (easier to get over your boots) in the heat, and waterproof pants (again with the full zipper) in the cold and wet.

I hate to put on my current pants (no long zipper) so I don't wear them for short trips. But I really need to get better gear to sort that little problem out, before I end up like blondie above.
Although I have a decent Tourmaster armored jacket and a just-OK pair of overpants, I'm leaning towards a full suit, like the Aerostich. I keep reading about how it can be put it on 10 seconds (with some practice, of course). What could be easier than that? Of course it might not be the coolest (temperature) way to go in the summer, but sure sounds like the easiest ATGATT-compliant way to go. JMO.

A suit would also let me keep my boots on, something I can't do with the overpants -- no full-length zipper. Pants on first, then boots. Boots off, then pants. Gets kind of old after awhile.

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)

[/URL]
post #13 of 32 Old Feb 16th, 2006, 10:16 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Semper Paratus to you as well Howard! And don't these kids that are doing our old job these days make you swell up with pride? The one federal agency who actually got a commendation from Congress for the job they did after Katrina!
mini-hijack:
Yes, absolutely. Just read the current issue of Popular Mechanics last night. The cover story was their own investigation of the federal response to Hurricane Katrina (which, by the way, debunks several myths about what happened). I think the # they quote of people rescued by the USCG was 33,000, beginning 2 hours after the hurricane made landfall. That's more than the Coast Guard rescues in any given year. National Guard rescued 5,000; other agencies had big involvement also, of course.

I still have several classmates active in the CG and I'm very proud to have been associated with them and the service.

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)

[/URL]

Last edited by hschisler; Feb 16th, 2006 at 12:18 pm.
post #14 of 32 Old Feb 16th, 2006, 11:40 am

Yessir...All The Gear All The Time

Last spring at Deal's Gap (my FieldSheer CE-rated 1-piece):

Last fall at Deal's Gap (my BMW CE-rated 2-piece):

And I always wear the gear locally as well...
It's just STUPID not to!
post #15 of 32 Old Feb 16th, 2006, 12:09 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by messenger13
...Last spring at Deal's Gap (my FieldSheer CE-rated 1-piece)...
Joe, can you compare (i.e., personal experience) the Fieldsheer suit with the Aerostich? The one advantage of the Fieldsheer products is they are available locally -- don't have to travel to Duluth, or buy mail order from Aerostich.

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)

[/URL]
post #16 of 32 Old Feb 16th, 2006, 12:49 pm

Fieldsheer vs. Aerostich

I am very impressed with the Fieldsheer suit . . . especially for only spending $199 (delivered) for it. I've never owned a 'Stich, but I don't think one could honestly compare the two.
post #17 of 32 Old Feb 16th, 2006, 12:55 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
...I've never owned a 'Stich, but I don't think one could honestly compare the two.
Because the Aerostich costs 3-4 times as much, which implies better protection or quality...? Curious what you mean...

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)

[/URL]
post #18 of 32 Old Feb 16th, 2006, 12:58 pm

Probably not protection...but fit, build-quality, and durability. I know guys that have owned a 'Stich for close to a decade. I don't think this FieldSheer will last that long. But then again...I'm not sure I want it to.
post #19 of 32 Old Feb 16th, 2006, 1:06 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Probably not protection...but fit, build-quality, and durability. I know guys that have owned a 'Stich for close to a decade. I don't think this FieldSheer will last that long. But then again...I'm not sure I want it to.
Got it.

How long would you say it takes you to don the Fieldsheer suit?
I've read of guys who say they can put an Aerostich on in 10 seconds. Their web site says the same thing. Has to do with the way the pants are left zipped/unzipped when you step out of the suit. One of their selling points.

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)

[/URL]
post #20 of 32 Old Feb 16th, 2006, 1:14 pm

Don't know that I ever timed myself.
I could put it on in well under 30 seconds...sure. Full-length 2-way heavy-duty zippers.
post #21 of 32 Old Feb 16th, 2006, 2:12 pm

Quote:

John
Another old Coastie here. I have been watching the new series "SOS, Coast Guard Rescue". Very well done, and finally shows the Coast Guard for what they are. I would imagine that series will do wonders for Coast Guard recruiting, and needed too, as the Coast Guard has always had a hard time filling their recruiting needs.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
post #22 of 32 Old Feb 16th, 2006, 3:34 pm

Sheesh I thought you have no trouble finding new recruits as they dont have to pass a swimming test for a knee deep service(tongue in cheek)

Fred Rosenbaum
NF1U
2006 K1200LT Totaled
2005 R1200GS
post #23 of 32 Old Feb 16th, 2006, 4:01 pm

Quote:
I don't think this FieldSheer will last that long. But then again...I'm not sure I want it to.
Too many, "Oh shit!!!", moments?

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

-=grif=-

Grok
post #24 of 32 Old Feb 16th, 2006, 4:07 pm

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by grifscoots
Too many, "Oh shit!!!", moments?
And you haven't even ridden with me . . . . . . . YET! But you will. You're on my list.
post #25 of 32 Old Feb 16th, 2006, 4:57 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredR
Sheesh I thought you have no trouble finding new recruits as they dont have to pass a swimming test for a knee deep service(tongue in cheek)
Yeah, heard that "6 foot tall" requirement many times. That way if the ship sinks you can wade back ashore.

I spent three years on a High Endurance Weather cutter, back in the years when the ocean stations were still being manned. each trip was 28-30 days on station, 1500-2000 miles out in the Atlantic, staying inside a 20 mile square for that time. Can you say "boring"? I thought you could. We would go out and relieve a ship, then stay there until we were relieved. Glamorous duty, huh?

I actually got the Coast Guard medal for a rescue in the North Atlantic, about 600 miles off the coast of NJ. You can read about it here. Scroll down the page to "Shealey". http://www.uscg.mil/hq/g-cp/history/...tions_R_S.html

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
post #26 of 32 Old Feb 16th, 2006, 5:01 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by dshealey
Excellent!
post #27 of 32 Old Feb 16th, 2006, 6:11 pm

I know you guys had some duty stations no one wanted but I guess all branches of the service has there share. I just couldnt resist the knee deep quip been a long time since I've talked to a coastie, you guys were kinda rare in the places that I frequented/was stationed. Always thought the harbor duty would be a big draw for Coast Guard recruiting.

Fred Rosenbaum
NF1U
2006 K1200LT Totaled
2005 R1200GS
post #28 of 32 Old Feb 17th, 2006, 12:51 am

Cool Coastie Hi-Jack!

(forgive the Hi-jack)
Fred, can't tell ya the number of former Soldiers, Sailors,and Marines (such as yours truely here!) whom I proudly served in the Coast Guard with. And the real draw for almost all of us was not the "shallow water" or the close to home assignments, but rather, the mission! It truely is the greatest job on earth to be a Lifesaver! And money has nothing to do with it either. It comes straight from the heart buddy!

If you get a chance to watch any of those shows the Discovery channel airs and happen to catch an interview with any of the Coasties you will find an individual who would go right back out there again if need be! Proud of what they do, but never arrogant about it. Rightfully so!

Semper Paratus!

John & Marilyn Fisher
'00 K1200LTC "Katie"
'95 Triumph "Tigger"
Hillsboro, Oregon

post #29 of 32 Old Feb 17th, 2006, 7:13 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dshealey
... I actually got the Coast Guard medal for a rescue in the North Atlantic, about 600 miles off the coast of NJ. You can read about it here. Scroll down the page to "Shealey". http://www.uscg.mil/hq/g-cp/history/...tions_R_S.html
Congratulations, David.

Regarding those "shallow water" comments, most Coasties will know that our cutters go everywhere the Navy's big ships go, and some places they can't (polar ice packs). On a training mission in 1975, CGC Munro (WHEC-724) sailed from Seattle to Kodiak Island, to Japan, Hawaii, and California. I do believe we crossed some deep water!

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)

[/URL]
post #30 of 32 Old Feb 17th, 2006, 9:47 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by hschisler
Congratulations, David.

Regarding those "shallow water" comments, most Coasties will know that our cutters go everywhere the Navy's big ships go, and some places they can't (polar ice packs). On a training mission in 1975, CGC Munro (WHEC-724) sailed from Seattle to Kodiak Island, to Japan, Hawaii, and California. I do believe we crossed some deep water!
Yeah, I certainly remember when really bad weather was coming (read hurricanes) the Navy ships were returning to port, we were preparing to go out!

I had friends that served probably the most boring duty of all, LORAN stations! Imagine a year, with 4-5 other people, on some desolate place like French Frigate Shoals; Attu and Adak Alaska, Guam; Gape Athol, Greenland; Iwo Jima, etc.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
post #31 of 32 Old Feb 17th, 2006, 7:09 pm

hi-jack

Sorry guys I gotta jump in... Stationed in Norfolk aboard the USS Columbus CG-12 we never stayed in port during a hurricane. Ships crew was recalled to put to sea so that the ship wasn't bashed against the dock. Been in 2 hurricanes aboard the "Tall Lady" (69-72).

Also went out looking for a MOB from another ship during heavy weather off of Cape Hatteris in early '69 aboard USS Henley DD762.

Great work David... See someone in throuble, go help. I like your style.

No difference between USN & USCG except our hats!

Chuck J

02 K1200LT (Black Beauty)

New friends make it all worthwhile!!! Smile, its catching.
post #32 of 32 Old Feb 17th, 2006, 8:09 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksailor
No difference between USN & USCG except our hats!
That is about it! Pretty much the same hardware, training, etc.. All our underway training was at Gitmo, right alongside and with the Navy ships.

I was mostly joking about the weather, but once in Boston we had to go out when a hurricane was coming up the coast so we would be ready for any at sea rescue efforts, and had to dodge a lot of Navy ships coming into port when we were trying to get out.

I am a Navy person beyond my Coast Guard loyalties though. Dad and three uncles were Navy, my son in law is Command Master Ghief on a Destroyer now (USS McFaul, DDG 74)

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in