Airhawk seat cushion - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old Feb 11th, 2006, 7:59 am Thread Starter

Airhawk seat cushion

Anyone ever tried it?

http://www.ravenfeather.com/en-us/dept_74.html

I rode 842 miles straight in 12.5 hours yesterday and my rear is in "bad shape".
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old Feb 11th, 2006, 8:11 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by prtdvl
Anyone ever tried it?

http://www.ravenfeather.com/en-us/dept_74.html

I rode 842 miles straight in 12.5 hours yesterday and my rear is in "bad shape".
Hey, J.R. Marc Pillis had one advertised for sale this week - it's in the classified. No record of whether he sold it or not. I think he wuz axing 100 bones or so.
post #3 of 9 Old Feb 11th, 2006, 5:57 pm

Hey J.R.: I have one, used it for a while last summer. Can't say it does anything for me. I just as soon leave it at home and not have to worry about it slipping out from under my butt when I stand up on the pegs. Why stand on the pegs you may ask? To give my butt a rest LOL!!! So why use the whoopy cushin?? (you ever watch a dog chase his tail??) Its the large AirHawk. Happy Trails...

Chuck J

02 K1200LT (Black Beauty)

New friends make it all worthwhile!!! Smile, its catching.

post #4 of 9 Old Feb 11th, 2006, 7:39 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Garage
Pass on the Airhawk

I purchased an Airhawk last year and rode with it a few time before selling it. It did not do much for me. The problem is the air chambers are all interconnected so the pressure point of your rear pushes the air out into another chamber, one which does not have any downward pressure on it. In a short period of time, the area where you need the air cushion is flat and the other chambers are bulging with air. Just my take on the cushion.

2005 K1200 LT "Graphite Graydude Metallic"

Todd "Graydude" Ask me why I'm the best Realtor you've ever met!

IBA#22266
post #5 of 9 Old Feb 11th, 2006, 10:01 pm

My wife and I like our Airhawk seat cushions. I even use the cushion on the car seat for very long drives.

But you gotta get the pressure right. With the air valve closed, sit on the pad, then crack the air valve and let air out until you can feel the top and bottom surfaces touch. You've let too much air out. Get off the pad, crack the valve, let it fill with air, close the valve, sit on the pad, crack the valve - but this time, stop letting air out just before the top and bottom surfaces touch. This will give the best distribution of your weight over the surface of the cushion.

- Bob

Cowboy Bob Menton
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Greenville SC USA
'07 K1200GT, '83 R80S (nee '83 R80RT)
'86 Honda CH-250 scooter (original owner)
"You can never escape the FOG (Fast Old Guys)"
post #6 of 9 Old Feb 11th, 2006, 10:22 pm

I like the Airhawk

The Airhawk has worked for me. Without it I am sore after about 2 hours riding. With the Airhawk I have done a 12 hour day without discomfort. As pointed out the amount of inflation is very important.
post #7 of 9 Old Feb 12th, 2006, 10:04 am Thread Starter

Seat

I don't have a problem spending 4-$500 on a seat, just as long as it works- I was in Daytona last week and stopped in the Corbin shop on Main street- Not only did the seat weigh a ton, they felt really hard. I need something that has the softness of my Tempur-pedic matress.
post #8 of 9 Old Feb 12th, 2006, 10:32 am

I have an airhawk and bring it on all long trips. It is very expensive, and works somewhat. I switch between nothing and the airhawk every 400 miles. The change in position does help. It IS NOT a wonder device that solves every problem. But it can help.

The Corbin seat is hard, but the main problem of the corbin is that it is VERY wide. That helps while seated, but if your legs are short you will not be able to touch the ground. The Corbin seat (for me) is 300% better than the stock 05 seat. On the stock seat I was good for 300 miles or so and my arse hurt. With the Corbin I have done 1000 mile days with some discomfort, but not outright pain as the stock seat did.
post #9 of 9 Old Feb 13th, 2006, 2:57 am
IBR# 366

Garage
I've never used an Airhawk, but I know a true round-the-world rider that swore by his for tens of thousands of miles through dozens of countries. He finally got a custom seat made and now swears by that. As we all know, factory seats are designed as a compromise and just won't fit everyone.

Once you get a custom seat made to fit you, you'll wonder why you waited so long. Two days after getting my Bill (Rocky) Mayer Saddle, I did my Bun Burner ride (1,500 miles in 36 hours). The first thing I noticed is that I hadn't thought about my seat all day, which is exactly what you want.

There's lots of info on this website about the different seat vendors. Near the top right of every page is a Technical link, look under that for Accessories, then find the Ergonomics link. Scroll down and you'll find info on the Airhawk, Corbin, Kontour, Rick Mayer, Russell, and several back rest options.

For comparisons, look at these threads: link, link, link, link, link. That should get you started.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in