LED flashlights - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old Feb 9th, 2006, 10:50 pm Thread Starter

LED flashlights

I don't know if anyone else has been looking at these, but I have been watching the market for some time now waiting on small powerful LED flashlights to become reasonably priced. I have had a couple small, cheap, weak ones, but wanted something to use where I normally have been using Maglites. I have several 3 D-cell Maglites around, and in my cars, but they are heavy, and take up space. The good Luxeon LED lights have been pretty expensive. Many of the smaller ones used CR123 Lithium cells, which are pretty expensive and not always available when you need them.

This evening I just happened to be in Sam's Club looking for something else, when I spied a display of small 3 AAA cell LED lights, carded two to a package for just over $24. Worth a shot thought I!

Oh Yeah!! Palm sized, use 3 AAA batteries, machined aluminum, and they put out more light than my 3 D cell Maglites! Much brighter white light, and the spot is very even, not with the rings and flares of the Maglites. Do Not look straight into them! If you do you will see spots for a while. At least that is what I heard.

Gonna go get some more, keep one in each car, and 3-4 around the house.

Sam's Club #906023, #24.38 per package of two.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old Feb 10th, 2006, 12:21 am

Did a little dig'n (thanks for the part number!) and found a site with pictures and a fairly comprehensive review of these babies.

http://www.flashlightreviews.com/rev...ed_element.htm

Did a little more dig'n and found this site - has 'retrofit' kits for your existing mag lites. Convert 'em to LED

http://www.luxeonstar.com/

I need to quit dig'n - spent 'bout $50 in 'wanna' money alredy

Tate

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

02 Mauve - my 'Light Truck'
Wyoming Immigration Officer, Cyberhiway tour guide and
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Zotter; Feb 10th, 2006 at 12:46 am.
post #3 of 12 Old Feb 10th, 2006, 6:56 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by dshealey
I have several 3 D-cell Maglites around, and in my cars, but they are heavy.........
.....the better to beat miscreants with

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

-=grif=-

Grok

post #4 of 12 Old Feb 10th, 2006, 7:48 am

Cool

I have a Brinkman, picked it up at Academy Sporting Goods, about $12.00, uses two aa batts. I have had it more than a year and still on same batts.

I carry it on the bike, at work, in the car.

it is 7" long and 1" dia, so doesnt take up much room. It does take a while to get used to the light color, it also has color shades to cover the light, yellow, red, blue. great for reading charts at night (maps to you landlubbers).

NOGILLS2

Booze Brother# 69
2003 K1200LTE "BEERBURNER" RIP 07/21/09
2006 Aluma Trailer "AFTERBURNER" SOLD
2007 ST1300ABS "Quicksilver"

post #5 of 12 Old Feb 10th, 2006, 8:29 am

Thumbs up Streamlight LED Flashlight

This is what I've been using for about 4 years: (I did a quick search on yahoo to find this link, but you can probably find these in a tool store)

http://www.southernce.com/cgi-bin/So...800+1139611248

I was at a police supply facility years ago and saw one. I couldn't believe how bright it was. At the time it was like $22, but they have come down to about half of that now. I keep one in the oddments box on the bike, one in my car, one in the wifes purse, and a few laying around the house / garage. Plus I've given about a dozen of them away as gifts to fellow riders. They are sold at a tool supply place near where I live, and I've seen them in other places. I wired up my hot tub at night using just this (I was excited and wanted to get it running) and it worked great.

I highly recommend this.

Jeff Adkins
San Diego (Scripps Ranch), CA

2000 K1200LT Icon Basalt Grey

IBA Member # 19537
AMA # 242000
BMW MOA # 111485

"Fear is a reaction, courage is a decision"

post #6 of 12 Old Feb 10th, 2006, 10:07 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zotter
Did a little dig'n (thanks for the part number!) and found a site with pictures and a fairly comprehensive review of these babies.

http://www.flashlightreviews.com/rev...ed_element.htm

Did a little more dig'n and found this site - has 'retrofit' kits for your existing mag lites. Convert 'em to LED

http://www.luxeonstar.com/

I need to quit dig'n - spent 'bout $50 in 'wanna' money alredy
I saw those upgrade kits when I was checking out the Luxeon website, but the $35 entry fee made my heart skip a beat. Hoping that they eventually come down so I can save my several Maglites. I have about 5 3-D Maglites, and 4-5 2-AA ones, but in spite of their quality they have just become drawer weights.

Up until now, the only flashlights I would own have been Maglites. Surprised they have not started to offer LED versions on their own.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
post #7 of 12 Old Feb 10th, 2006, 10:13 am Thread Starter

I looked as Streamlights, as they are quality lights similar to Maglite, with more versions. Their LED lights have just been out of the price range I was looking for.

The Element lights now at Sam's Club just fit the price/power/quality I have been looking for.

I think that LED lights are going to become so common that incandescants will slowly become obsolete, and eventually they will be CHEAP. They are well on the downward pricing curve now. Just finally hit the crossover point for me.

Now, if those Maglite conversions will just become somewhere near reasonable----.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
post #8 of 12 Old Feb 10th, 2006, 5:21 pm

If you already have one of the 2 AA cell Maglites there is a 3 LED conversion for it available for about $5.00. I picked up one at Walmart. Works very well. Of course turning the ring turns it on and off but no longer focuses the beam.
post #9 of 12 Old Feb 10th, 2006, 7:42 pm

Haven't stuck a battery in a conventional "flashlight" for years. I use "head lites" (LED's with batteries mounted on a headband). They're about $12 at Lowes, with flimsier ones available at REI at about $38 . They're bright and always there where you are looking, leaving both hands free. I don't go near the LT without one on! Use one once while working on your bike and you'll be sold.

I also have a couple "Nite Riders" that mount on the bicycle helmet that are very bright and about $160. Nowadays one is sometimes packed in the dualsport bag in case of loss of headlight in the boonies. Again; light weight, hands free.

Pete Jessen
CCR 02, 03, 04, 08, 10
post #10 of 12 Old Feb 10th, 2006, 8:30 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjessen
Haven't stuck a battery in a conventional "flashlight" for years. I use "head lites" (LED's with batteries mounted on a headband). They're about $12 at Lowes, with flimsier ones available at REI at about $38 .
I have one LED head light, but it is not one of the powerful ones. I use it for reading at night so I don't bother my wife.

I have thought about getting one of the more powerful ones for just the purposes you stated.

I still like powerful flashlights for many uses though. Gonna keep my eye on the 3 and 5 watt Luxeon conversion kits for the Maglites. If they get down to a reasonable cost I will try them. Actually I am toying with buying one now just to see how good they are. Found the 3 watt one on sale for $24.95.

I also see on the Maglite website that they are bringing out their own LED versions "early 2006". interesting to see how they are going to be priced. Hope the pricing pressure brings down all the good ones, such as Surefire and Streamlight. Those are still pretty pricy.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
post #11 of 12 Old Feb 10th, 2006, 10:41 pm

Thumbs up I like this one

Look here, he has some really good lights, I use streamlight and pelican at work (blast furnace). The N batteries on this one seem to be what lets them claim 100 hrs battery life. Haven't tried to time them yet.
REALLY Bright for a one led light. less than $20.

http://www.brightguy.com/detail_int.php?Sku=PEL1990YEL
post #12 of 12 Old Feb 10th, 2006, 11:43 pm

I am on the other side of the fence when it comes to batteries. I like the CR123 lithiums for their compact size and their extra capacity. I buy them in bulk and they have a 10 year shelf life. I would have to pack three to four times as many AA or AAA batteries to get the same capacity. It is true that you are unlikely to find them in Buckboard, Wyoming (no insult intended if there is a Buckboard, WY) and similar backwater locations but I have seldom had a problem finding them in towns with more than one stop light . That is because there is usually a Walmart at the second stop light .

For a bright compact light I like the Surefire 6P or 6Z. I have the 6Z with the V70 Holster and it is easy to take along anywhere. I also have a very nice waterproof battery holder for six CR123 batteries and a spare bulb/reflector assembly that Surefire sells. These models with the optional P61 lamp assembly are 120 lumen and are built to put out a blinding beam of light. It will only burn at full brightness for about a half an hour on a set of CR123s. The standard P60 65 lumen lamp assembly is rated for one hour at full brightness. This is really a tactical/combat flashlight but ya' just never know when you might need to go tactical .

For a good multi purpose compact flashlight I like the Steamlight Twintask 2L like this one on eBay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/STREAMLIGHT-3-LE...QQcmdZViewItem

It has a 3 LED mode that will run for 28 hours on a set of CR123s and a Xenon 72 lumen mode that will run 2.5 hours (It will only be at full brightness for about an hour). It is a little shorter and fatter than a mini-Maglite. They also make a 1L version that is very compact but I like having a little something to hold onto. They also make 2D, 3C and 3AA versions.

Both of these lights are compact, waterproof and reliable as in bulletproof. The models I have both use two CR123 batteries.

I do like the idea of a of an LED head light and I will probably pick one up. I have a head light I have used for search and rescue but it is a little large with its six cell AA battery pack and large reflector with a flashlight bulb. It is designed to be either worn directly on the head or on a climbing helmet. I have one headband accessory and three or four mini-Mags but never quite liked using it. It never wants to point where I am looking but then again my head is shaped weird to begin with . I have worn down or chipped a few teeth holding the mini-Mags in my mouth . I can always identify my mini-Mags using dental impressions .

#32756 -
'12
FLTRU Ember Red Sunglo (
)
'05
R1200GS Desert Yellow (
)
'00
K1200LTC Canyon Red (
) - Retired 10/2012
----------------------------------------------
'02
FLSTC Custom (
)
For bike shows, parades, Taco Thursdays and local rides on sunny days only.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in