How did you meet your spouse? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 58 Old Feb 8th, 2006, 8:23 am Thread Starter
Senior Member (ret.)

How did you meet your spouse?

I had moved to Sacramento from Los Angeles due to a new job and had left most of the social activities behind. Initially, I managed to drive down to L.A. every other weekend to see my parents and then friends. Eventually the toll of driving both ways was too much for a two day weekend.

In the mean time I had made some new friends through work. One day I get this call from Ken, one of my new friends, asking if I would want to go camping with him and his friends. I said sure since I knew several that were going. So off to REI I went to buy a tent and sleeping bag etc.

Ken and I went ahead of everyone on Friday. We each took a half a day off so we could set up the campsite at Bodega Bay. Beer being plentiful, we each had a few and watched the rest of the campers slowly trickle in. It was almost dark and two had not made it yet and we were all getting worried. Cell phones were not that common at the time so no way to contact and see if everything was ok with the last two.

About an hour later Ken and I are standing at the edge of the campsite talking and having another beer and a buzz going, when I see the two late arrivals coming up the trail to the campsite. So I looked at Ken and said who are they? He said that's Patty and Mary. We got introduced. There was something about Patty that attracted me to her.

So I spent some time talking with her during that weekend. Two weeks later Ken’s wife calls and asks if I was dating anyone. I said not seriously. So I was invited to dinner. It was dinner with Ken, his wife Renee and Patty. Good dinner followed by a game of Pictionary.

After dinner we said good bye to our hosts and I asked Patty in the apartment complex parking lot if I could call her sometime. She said sure and gave me her number. This was a Saturday night. I figured I’d call her sometime during the week. I guess I waited too long to call. Wednesday I got a call from Patty and she asked me if I’d like to have lunch with her. We worked two blocks away from each other at the time.

We had lunch on that Wednesday. Two years later we were married.

Unbeknownst to me, when she first saw me coming up the trail to the campsite, she had this premonition that she was going to marry me. Good thing I went to lunch with her that Wednesday 17 years ago.

She's a keeper.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Raffy

Last edited by RaffyK; Feb 8th, 2006 at 8:51 am.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 58 Old Feb 8th, 2006, 8:44 am

Talking

Hey Raffy, are you trying to give everyone a headache or sumpin' . That is what I call a poor man's eye chart.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

#32756 -
'12
FLTRU Ember Red Sunglo (
)
'05
R1200GS Desert Yellow (
)
'00
K1200LTC Canyon Red (
) - Retired 10/2012
----------------------------------------------
'02
FLSTC Custom (
)
For bike shows, parades, Taco Thursdays and local rides on sunny days only.

post #3 of 58 Old Feb 8th, 2006, 8:48 am
Lifetime Supporter

Nice Story Raffy....

-
05' K1200 LT - BMW MOA Member
05 CCR Survivor
- Team-N-Training

post #4 of 58 Old Feb 8th, 2006, 8:51 am Thread Starter
Senior Member (ret.)

post #5 of 58 Old Feb 8th, 2006, 9:52 am

Yup and that is indeed a nice story.

#32756 -
'12
FLTRU Ember Red Sunglo (
)
'05
R1200GS Desert Yellow (
)
'00
K1200LTC Canyon Red (
) - Retired 10/2012
----------------------------------------------
'02
FLSTC Custom (
)
For bike shows, parades, Taco Thursdays and local rides on sunny days only.

post #6 of 58 Old Feb 8th, 2006, 11:26 am

I lost my wife of many years to ovarian cancer in 1996. We had kids late in life so they were only 9 and 5 when she died. I raised them pretty much on my own so far, relying on family and friends for advise...like how to actually cook a meal!! About a year and a half ago, a friend called and said she had someone she wanted me to meet. Well, I was not meeting Ms. Right in the grocery store or the Home Depot, so I went out on this blind date, not expecting much at all.

Well, as usual, I could not have been more wrong! Diana and I are getting married on February 19, (GULP! Less than two weeks!). She lost her husband to pancreatic cancer so we have both seen our share of sorrow. But any sorrow I had left has been turned to joy by this remarkable woman!

She comes with a house, two cats, two Labrador retrievers and two horses PLUS----a big Ford F-350 crew cab 4X4 diesel pickup truck!

I come with a house ( not so neat and clean), two teenagers and a 2002 BMW LT, which Diana loves to be on with me!

Yes sir, life is good! Way good!!!

Dave
Monkton, MD
and Pawleys Island, SC
2002 K1200LTC

Last edited by Daman858; Feb 8th, 2006 at 11:27 am. Reason: grammer
post #7 of 58 Old Feb 8th, 2006, 11:59 am
Some guy on the Interwebs

Talking

It was a dark and stormy night... No, really...

I had moved back from Boston, where I had dated the psycho-bitch-from-hell, and was just looking for an occasional dinner date. Nothing serious was my mantra at the time.

Friends of mine set me up on a blind date, on a rainy night. The four of us piled into their Blazer, and off we went to dinner. I found my blind date to be charming, intelligent, and good company! I asked her out for a second date. That went well also!

We were married two years later. And that was 14 years ago. Life is wonderful with the perfect mate... Even more so when she understands the need for toys and farkels!!!

Hal
Lodi, California

If you aren't good for anything else, you can always serve as a bad example.

HDDC Posse

post #8 of 58 Old Feb 8th, 2006, 12:12 pm
Lifetime Supporter

My wife and I were introduced by an axe murder.

True.

Tale is best told over adult beverages, however.

Todd R.
Grapevine, TX USA

'78 R80/7
'06 FJR1300A

"You will now be thrown into the Obamaucracy. In his belly you will find a new definition of pain and suffering as you are slowly taxed to death over the next four years."
post #9 of 58 Old Feb 8th, 2006, 12:34 pm

I met Melinda, my better-half, almost 32 years ago. I was in the USAF (had lost my college deferment due to a motorcycle accident and time out of school) and just been relocated, due to a freak service connected back injury, to Tinker AFB in Oklahoma.

Got invited to dinner at a newly married, fellow serviceman’s home where I met his high school sweetheart, now his wife. I was just a casual acquaintance of this guy, couldn’t say why I agreed to go, probably just missed home cooking.

Soon after I was hospitalized for my back, and she visited often.

She had married a guy she didn’t know; he had changed that much in Nam, and he was not very stable, used drugs (many of us did during this time), and just about kept her captive. (I learned that years later he turned his life around and became an evangelist)

1 months later, after I was release from the hosp., I removed her from an abusive husband and moved her into an apartment rented by some gals I knew. I saw her regularly during the divorce proceedings. I pawned my favorite 35mm camera to help pay the fee.

Our first real date was New Years Eve 1974. The month after I got out of the service we got married, July 22, 1974, in Anderson CA.

I’m from CT, she’s from southern CA, and we met in OK.... just about halfway between our homes, through a tremendous amount of coincidences.

It turns out that years before (mid 60’s), she lived for a time in Plantation FL, and I summered at my folks condo in Fort Lauderdale... a mere 6 miles apart.

Life is WONDERFUL

Vince Weidig

2000 LT - LandyachT
2005 Ural Patrol
2003 Artic Cat ATV - Horse
Bayliner Cutty Cabin - Anytime
Airstream B190 -
post #10 of 58 Old Feb 8th, 2006, 12:42 pm

40 years ago, almost to the day, I was swept off of my feet by a beautiful freshman coed at Michigan State University. We were married in November of 1966 -- wow, that was a long time ago!

Four wonderful children, four great children-in-laws, and eight perfect grand children later we are still happily married and looking forward to many more years together -- Lord willing.

I can't believe that she has put up with me for all these years!

Chick

Saved by Grace -- Ephesians 2:8-9

2005 Graphite LT

BMWMOA #118809

NRA Life Member

post #11 of 58 Old Feb 8th, 2006, 2:02 pm

Back when, I was working for a Theater Ministry in Europe. We were holding our annual summer training session. Training involved classes durring the day and theater in the evenings. Lots of work in several departments doing upto 4 hours of production every night. Never the same thing twice for upto 6 weeks.

I was a Unit Leader for one of the touring units (performed in German for churches, schools, military bases, etc) and durring one of our Unit Leader meetings, one of the supervisors mentioned we had a hard working gal working the prop room - hard working and always available to lend a hand. But she didn't think she was appreciated, was 'invisible' and no one noticed her or her efforts. He wouldn't say who she was and there were several ladies working the prop room. I later learned His goal was to get us to not take anyone for granted. In my own arrogance I figured I knew who he was talking about so made a point to treat this one particular, shy, quiet young lady to some breaks, lunches and an ice-cream or two.

She invited me home to Northern Ireland for the Christmas break - spent it with her family - as I didn't have resoruces to fly back to the states.

One year latter we were married at her home church just outside Belfast.

That was 18 years and one 10 year old son ago

Tate

02 Mauve - my 'Light Truck'
Wyoming Immigration Officer, Cyberhiway tour guide and

post #12 of 58 Old Feb 8th, 2006, 2:26 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Which one?

Matt
95 Honda Magna (sold)
97 R1100RT (sold)
00 LTc, Canyon Red "Tarkus" (sold)
01 F650GS (wifey's, sold)
01 Ducati S4 Monster "LittleOne"
04 R1150RT (turned to scrap)
99 R1100RT Tundra Green
Kalamazoo, MI
"Worry does not rob tomorrow of it's sorrow. It saps the strength of today."
post #13 of 58 Old Feb 8th, 2006, 2:38 pm
IBR# 366

Garage
I've been involved in a medieval recreation group for a few years, doing sword fighting, leather work, making period clothes, and generally researching everything I could find about Leonardo da Vinci. A newcomer to the group moved into the area and came to a reenactment event in a local park. My girlfriend and I held an after party that day, and Dayle and I were briefly introduced as she wanted to get signed up for the group's newsletter, which I was producing. I thought it odd that she lived in a hotel, as they were still getting settled in.

The next time we met was a couple of weeks later at a Halloween party also at my house, where we had the chance to chat a bit more. It took me almost a month to see her in "normal" clothes, and we became friends as we worked on various projects in support of our reenactment group over the next year or so.

At some point, we both realized that while we were perfectly content in our current situations, there was just something more there. After unsuccessfully ignoring the truth for many months, we eventually realized that either one of us had to move out of state, or we had to give everything else up and try it together. It wasn't easy, but it was, and still is, absolutely amazing. There's just something about having to fight just to be together that gives you a real appreciation for each other.

A couple of years later I got transferred overseas, and we were married in Gretna Green and took the next week to explore Scotland on the bike. Dayle and I have been traveling the world ever since. Both of our ex's are now married with kids, something that none of us wanted previously. So despite the hassles, everything has pretty much worked out to everyone's benefits.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #14 of 58 Old Feb 8th, 2006, 5:15 pm

After leaving a divorce in Savannah, Ga., I moved to Donalsonville, GA., determined that I would never date again.

Well, one of my teachers set me up with a blind date with Cindy. We had three dates and agreed to get married the next month. It has been the most wonderful 24 years of my life and she says the same. It just goes to prove that the age difference factor is not that important.

BTW, Cindy proposed to ME on our third date. We were in Atlanta at the Fox Theater watching Yul Brenner in "The King and I." Honest. She even owns up to it.

It just couldn't get any better!!! I wish everyone could be as happy as we are. I love that gal!!!
post #15 of 58 Old Feb 8th, 2006, 5:31 pm

$20 saz I can marry that girl!!!

Home on liberty for the weekend after a Med cruise; just got back into the states. A buddy from the ship and I went to meet at a local drinking establishment. Oct 1972.

Saw the cutest chick on the dance floor; she would follow one of the local bands around. My buddy and I were sitting at the bar and I bet him $20 bux I could marry that girl. July 1973 we tied the knot and are still together.

The best thing I ever did... it literally saved my life.

He paid me at the wedding!!!
(my wife only found out about the bet 2 years ago... boy was she pissed!!)
After 31 years!!! Go figure...

Chuck J

02 K1200LT (Black Beauty)

New friends make it all worthwhile!!! Smile, its catching.
post #16 of 58 Old Feb 8th, 2006, 6:19 pm

Wink meeting one day at the ER

23 years ago I met the woman of my dreams. I was a young patrol officer and was dealing with a drunk at the local ER. Beck, was working and going to college full-time. I was coming out of real bad marriage but the one good thing was my first born son. One year or so after our meeting we married. Now, we have two sons a daughter in-law and one great grandson and another on the way. Life is GREAT, when you are in love. God has blessed me and my family and my prayers are if your looking for that right person, I hope you find a lady as good as mine.

2001 k1200lt (Pac/blue)
2001 Ford sportrac
2001 mazda
and one tired cop (29yr)

Michael Dale
post #17 of 58 Old Feb 8th, 2006, 6:33 pm

Summer of "81" at a freinds daytime party.
Within the crowd of @ 50 or 60 beer drinking partying folks a few of us were packin heat ( Super soakers ) we were the party police sort of speak.
Well ... with kids in the mix and wanting something to do, naturally they (Kids)
find a way to get one of the squirt guns and find a willing big kid to engage in some wet fun.
Well as it turns out I had just takin a cheap shot ambush from this unknow @ 6 year old young man, and was in hot persuit of a little kid soaking.
Shortly into the chase I was halted by a fine looking lady who claimed the suspect kid was her son kyle ... Well Hello, I'm Scott ... Nice kid you have their , yea right !

Spent time talking and found out she was a single woman who just moved to placerville from santa cruz to escape the singles atmophere ... Was a professional career woman and had her shi* together.

Well the party was soon over, a phone call or two made between freinds because of mutual interest in each other we soon had a dinner date at a freinds house. Soon followed by others one on one. Married her in the winter of "84" .... Now 21 years later, still a happly married man. Think I keep her a while longer.

Scott & Dawn

"00" Canyon Red LTI ~ Well Farklized ~ Bug Splattered
Our "semi" quiet riot
*** Trailer Too ***

T
wisties Required

Last edited by motorhead; Feb 8th, 2006 at 6:42 pm.
post #18 of 58 Old Feb 8th, 2006, 7:10 pm

Does this mean you won't be free for coffee the next time I'm Baltimore way??

Congradulations.

On His Ride,
Steve
-
KA5MTE
'02 LTE - Red-blooded Dragonfly
'00 Unigo - Dragon's Egg
'01 LTC - Flying Purple People Eater (Ya gotta be old enough to understand)(RIP)
'00 LTC - Canyon Red Rover (RIP)

Have you
bmwlt.com lately????

"To not know me is to lose nothing, to not know Him is to lose everything."
post #19 of 58 Old Feb 8th, 2006, 8:00 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Uh....

We met in the 8th grade -- 1970. Dated exclusively through junior high school, high school, my military service, and college. We've been married since 1978.

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2009 BMW K1200LT - 60k miles
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)
2005 BMW K1200LT - "Gray Ghost", traded at 120k miles
2005 Honda Shadow 650 (sold)
AMA, IBA, BMW MOA. CCRs: Braselton 2006, Osage Beach 2007, Duluth 2012

[/URL]
post #20 of 58 Old Feb 8th, 2006, 8:05 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Met my wife in September 25 years ago. We both worked at the same place. I'd stop near her department 'cause the drinking fountain was there. Wasn't really looking for a relationship of any sort..

In January of 1981 I was pigeon-holed by another co-worker who said " There's some one here that thinks you're really cute!" (ME!? CUTE!? No Way!!!!) Took two days to get it out of her whom that might be. 25 years and 1 week ago I asked Twyla to go with a group from work to a Beach Boys concert in Ames IA. (Lived near Des Moines at the time). First date on February 18th, 25 years ago. She was disappointed that I did not kiss her at the end of the first date. Dated for 6 months or so before We started talking about marriage. Gave her the engagement ring that year as a Christmas present wrapped in 6 boxes, so the ring box ended up about 24x24 inches, each box wrapped, some weighted with bricks. She opened it in front of her family Christmas morning: she thought it was a helmet.

Got married 23 years ago this Sunday, the 12th of February 1983. 23 WONDERFUL years married to the best woman in the world. Son is now 10. She continues to amaze me that she wants to be around.

Oh, and she said later, that the first time she saw me, she said to herself "I'm going to marry him." True, ask her.

J.

Jason
Kansas City

'00 K1200LT
'12 Triumph Tiger 800
post #21 of 58 Old Feb 8th, 2006, 10:01 pm

Sears has every thing

I had bought my first house and went to Sears to get something (can't remember what). My future bride was working in housewares and electrical. She obviously made the sale.

Our first date was on my Honda 750 and the hook was set. That was November 1974. Like Sears motto at the time "Sears has everything", even brides.

Thought of returning her for a refund at one time, but she told me Sears wouldn't take her back without a receipt.

Glenn BTW
California Delta Country
05 LT, ocean blue ( the replacement player)
05 LT, dark graphite (motorcycle heaven)

1100RT-P in a previous life
post #22 of 58 Old Feb 9th, 2006, 1:08 am

Fresno State College block party.
Line to the restrooms.
Drunk girl is hitting on me, but I'm just interested in getting the line moving.
She leaves with someone else and her 17 year old friend needs a lift home.
Drove her home and asked if she wanted to go for a "bike" ride?
Arrived next morning on my Yamaha 80 trail (red) and she was waiting with her 10 speed (can not remember the color).
She jumped on for a ride to Pine Flat Dam and 35 years and 2 kids later she's still riding with me.

Doug Holck
Lodi, Ca

PS - Still have the 1960 Yamaha 80 too.
post #23 of 58 Old Feb 9th, 2006, 3:58 am
Lifetime Supporter

Thanks for Asking

Her story would go something like this:

Pauline married a GI coming back from Nam on his way for a 2 year tour in Germany. She moved there with him and soon found the party was over. He had his buddies and she was a tag-a-long if there was anything to do outside of keeping the apartment clean. Her "first jerk" ,as my mom affectionately called him (thanks mom ), was hooked up with two other GI's that stayed together for their entire military experience. One of the guys convinced the other two to move to California after they got out. With the GI Bill and Cal's then free tuition they could get their education and still hang out together. She rolled into Redding California in the Fall of '72.

She landed a job with her Medical Assistant degree with a family practice doctor within walking distance of her apartment. Good thing work was close, because Mr. J would control the car and the $$. He was off to the local community college and work PT at the local Shakey's Pizza.

One Fall/Winter day a 17 year old kid walked into the doctor's office for a "professional motorcycle license" physical. How interesting she thought. She had assisted in a lot of sports physicals and flight physicals, but a pro. motorcycle racer? After reviewing the forms and this "kids" chart it appears he is behind in getting a tetanus booster. I better give him a shot just in case he gets injured she thought. How fun!

She would not see this kid for a couple years, at least in the doctor's office.

My story would go something like:

A friend and I were racing MX in the winter and Flattrack in the summer. We both were doing well in the Dist. 36 races in N. Cal and progressed to the expert class by the end of the '72 summer. Both of us decided to get our "Pro" license and planned to get out of N. Cal the next spring to do some NW TT racing. I had to get a stupid physical. The nurse said everything was going well with the physical. The Doc came in and did his thing and she pulls out the syringe. I hate needles! I didn't care for this nurse. She liked giving shots too darn much. Something has to be wrong with her. I'm glad I don't have to see her very much I thought.

At College the next Fall I met "Chuck" and we became study partners. He was an ex GI and was kind of cool in an older brother kind of way. He invites me over to study for a test. Wow! He's married to the syringe wielding nurse! We all became good friends and after 2 years we graduated and went separate ways. He went to Chico State and Pauline put him through school. I moved to Portland to pursue TT racing and a job in the trucking industry. We visited when I would come to Redding a few times each year. We stayed distant friends.

A few years go by. I had invited them up to visit several times and there was always some excuse not to come up. Then outta the blue Pauline calls and asks if she can visit. Alone. Sure I said, but I know my girlfriend is going to have some trouble with this, but we'll work something out. The visit was stressful on my present relationship, and that was ok by me, because I was there for a true friend who was in a crisis. Pauline was getting a divorce and was looking for a place to start over. Redding was too small of a town. Portland was a good alternative, so we made a plan. She would move up and into my spare room just long enough to get on her feet. My present relationship soon dissolved. Funny how that happened.

I guess Pauline still isn't on her feet. We have been together for nearly 29 years and married 27. We have two great kids who are out on their own. Now as empty nesters, and looking toward retirement in a few years, spending time on the LT is our number one activity together. Motorcycles have always been a part of our lives together, and God willing, will be a large part of our life for years to come. Some of the best part of the LT experience is getting to know the folks on this board. Our motto is "Just Ride it...Together"

Ernie A
Milwaukie, OR
Member: MOA, AMA, IBA, NRA, MERA
GS911 & GS911 Wifi - Diagnostics Tools Available
2012 K16GTL (3/2018 to present) 68k (Totaled! 8/11/19 Deer strike)

2013 R1200GSW
> 28k miles!
2002 K12LT Toscana Green - > 241k miles (Sold)
2006 Suzuki DL1000 V Strom Silver/Blk - >21k (Sold)
SS1K (x4),BB,BtoB(<24),BBG, SS3k

post #24 of 58 Old Feb 9th, 2006, 4:22 am

My dog got me married. Took her to the vets. A beautiful redhead tech. was behind the counter. A couple of bags of dog food and a couple of days later, which the dog did not need, got the phone number. 10 years later, 2 little redheads, house and happy.
post #25 of 58 Old Feb 9th, 2006, 7:53 am

She's still "the one"...

(If you read it in the other thread...skip it.)

I went to a small school in northeast Ohio. In the middle of nowhere! North Jackson Elementary School. So small that everybody knew...well...everybody. Except for the kids that went to Lake Milton Elementary. But we would know them soon enough. In 5th grade, all the kids would come together and attend Jackson-Milton Middle School. Kinda scary. Kinda cool. Wow! A LOT of kids I didn't know...

The Middle School was just built the year before I started going there. I was the first 5th grader to go to that modern school. A school so modern that it had NO doors. A school so modern, that the students that attended the 'outside' classrooms had to walk through the 'inside' classrooms to get to their room. Kinda weird. But kinda cool. I guess...

And that's when I saw her...
The very first day of school.

In my new school. 'Our' new school.

She didn't see me. But I saw her. She had long, straight, blond hair. And a smile that I still see when I close my eyes.

I reached over to my right, and tapped my buddy on the shoulder. "Kenny!" "Kenny! Did you see that girl?" Kenny said, "Yea...I saw her. What about her?"

"That's the girl I'm going to marry someday, Kenny."

That date was September 3, 1975.
Twelve days short, of exactly 10 years later . . . I did just that.

Twenty years, and better than ever!
post #26 of 58 Old Feb 9th, 2006, 8:30 am

Stories of spousal accessory units.

I saw pretty blonde, blue-eyed, girl. Bonked her with my club and drug her back to my cave….

Well not really.

I’d been separated from mistake version 1.0 for about six months that time. 15 years of marriage resulted in 8 years of separation. Usually different coasts if at all possible. Though I did for awhile consider different solar systems.

Future spousal accessory unit version beta 1.0 was finishing getting divorced and none to happy with the idea of commitment or relationship. Me being dumb blonde ignorant guy didn’t know how to spell commitment or relationship let alone the definition.

While in graduate school I detailed some gibberish about mounting and exploiting a file system in class. Along comes an email from pretty blonde girl about could I please “hack” into her computer as her kids (she has kids?) have locked her out and papers are due. Some 45 seconds later she was into her computer. Then she bought me dinner.

As I was finishing graduate school we were talking and thinking about the world. I had a firm offer from the world’s largest software company for a ridiculous salary, a large boat in the area to live on, and a hankering for working my way through the secretarial pool. She was sad about me leaving, asked what it would take to get me to stay. I said not too much, and she reached up and kissed me. We were married a few weeks later.

So, spousal accessory unit produced squalling infant 1 & 2, keeps me happy, I keeps her happy, the world isn’t a bad place at all.

sam
post #27 of 58 Old Feb 9th, 2006, 8:34 am

Well, I am a member of a volunteer group that raises money for the community though a PGA golf Tourny. A friend of mine was running a project that took mentally handicapped people on the Essex Steam train and river boat ride up the CT river. I had just ended a long term relationship with someone because she did not want to commit. Long story Not relevant. While we were on the train a new volunteer introduced herself to me and we started talking. We spent most of the day together except when the Ex came by to mark her territory. Any how. A few week s later we had a party called the 19th Hole, which is a Black Tie optional event for all the volunteers that help put on the Tourny. A freind of mine had an extra ticket and invited Amy to go.

We emailed a couple of times during the coming few weeks and got to know each other better. We had not gone on any dates but the plan was that I was going to pick her up for the Party. The week before the party I was camping with a bunch of people that I volunteer with when I got into a boating accident and lost all of my Front teeth to a wake board. OUCH! Needless to say I ended my camping trip early to get major dental work done. By the wednesday before the party my dentist had me fitted with a set of resin teeth so i did not look like a hockey player. I called Amy and told her about the accident just so she was too freaked out when I got to her house on Saturday.

Saturday came and I picked her up and the rest they say is history. We moved in together 6 months later and got engaged on a crusie that winter. We got married September 18th, 2004 and I have not looked back since. She is the most wonderful thoughtful caring person i ahve ever met. She bought me the LT for our one year anniversary this past September.

That's my story and I stickin' to it.

2005 R1200GS (to be named)

2005 K1200LT Gretchen traded in for GS

MOA # 118981
MSF Instructor

My Photo Gallery

My Blog

post #28 of 58 Old Feb 9th, 2006, 9:01 am

I have to start by saying I like this thread, its an interesting way to "get to know" each other,
kinda reminds me of the sig line out of the longwayround.
We are all the "same",
except for the ones that are different.
------------------------------------------------------------------------

I bought a small boat and took a safe boating course,
liked it so much I joined the USPS (US Power Squadron) and took all the advanced courses.

Fast forward another 5 years and with a 100 ton Captains license I return to the Power Squadron to do some volunteer work, some of it as a "table" instructor.
(Hands on instructions on how to tie knots, chart plotting etc)

Among my students was a nice couple about my age that had been married over 20 years,
he had just retired and they just got their first sailboat,

we got along well.

Fast forward again about 3-4 years, she returned for some advance courses,
He succumbed to pancreatic cancer not long after I had met them.

We started out as friends,
at first I didn't want to date her because I thought
"she too nice for me" and I would just end up breaking her heart and moving on.
I was a confirmed bachelor and I was also, totally wrong:
we got married a couple of years later (I'm 55 and this is my first)

Still, I was right about part of that, at times I still feel like she's too nice for me.
But there's no doubt in my mind that this classy lady is the best thing that's ever happened to me.

Not long after we started dating I took her for her first ever motorcycle ride,
so far she's logged almost 50,000 miles with me and like myself, she can't wait to go on our next trip.

Hans
St. Petersburg FL

2002 K1200LTE
"Silver Buffalo" Totaled 5/06
2005 LT
"Esperanza"
BushtecGenesisTrailer
"Our preferred long distance carrier"

post #29 of 58 Old Feb 9th, 2006, 10:46 pm

3 years ago...

Well, you see, I'm pulling into a parking space at the crowded Sorrento Valley food court on my RT in my leathers. I am about 9 months out of my first marriage and my eye is keen to all opportunities. I'm getting off the bike and popping the helmet when a pair of cute ladies are walking by eyeing in my direction. I hear the one say, "ooo, nice motorcycle". I manage to come up with the totally cheesy line of, " it rides 2". That elicitted giggles and we chatted nervously for a few moments. Neither of us being very promicuous, there was little of the follow on pick-up chat so effective in the movies. I did manage to get her business card.

Since I was already exploring the on-line dating scene, I utitlized the etiquette of that scene and exchanged a series of e-mails with my new acquaintance. She proved to not be the ditsy bimbo who falls for shallow things like leather clad guys on motorcycles. I must have proven myself to not be the standard opportunity seeking sex fiend. After 3 weeks of e-mailing we agreed to a date. It turned out to be very intense.

The following week we took a ride together on the RT. She fit right into my ex-wifes MC gear (only worn a couple of times, so don't think this is too weird). The ride out to the desert was wonderful she chatted to whole way out. Since I didn't have my Chatterbox yet, I had no idea what the hell she was saying, but it sounded happy.

On our way back the sky openned up and we got drenched. I could barely see the road. We made it back to her place and, well, now we're married.

Rich S~

'06 Ocean Blue Metallic LT (mine)
'15 Grey 328d (ours)
post #30 of 58 Old Feb 10th, 2006, 9:36 pm

Met my wife at a C&W dance hall. I've learned to appreciate the Italian romantic concept of the "Thunderbolt" since that's what I felt when I saw her. I decided then and there she was the one and set about winning her. Our first date, not counting meeting up at the dance hall, was taking her out for a ride on my bike. When I first met her dad I thought "Oh this ain't gonna go well at all!" Picture a long haired, heavily tattooed biker meeting a guy that looks like a Marine Corps DI. And wanting to take his little girl out for a ride on one of those dangerous motorbikes. He was actually pretty cool with it though and turned out to be a great father-in-law. Now at the time I was a hard core outlaw type Harley rider with a rigid frame chopper. Sporting a tiny pillion pad and a tall sissy bar with no padding. We took a two hour ride to the Mississippi gulf coast to play in the water. She kicks a rock in the water and hurts her foot which she then has to stuff back into her boot for the ride home. Between having to lean back against steel bars on a bike with no shocks and a swollen painfull foot jammed into a tight boot it must have been a miserable ride and why she ever saw me again I don't know.
But she did and six months later we married.
Seven bikes and 22 years later we're still together. She's still the great love of my life and despite that first ride she still loves riding motorcycles with me. Good thing I guess since, as she tells others, I came with a motorcycle.

Follow your front wheel...
Steve S.

1998 Harley Davidson FLHR-P
1998 BMW R1100RT-P (Black Mariah)
2002 BMW K1200LTE (Bayou Buffalo)

If it rolls, floats, flies or shoots, runs on gasoline or gunpowder, is loud, goes fast, or shoots a big bullet, thus producing Torque or Recoil....It's Cool.

post #31 of 58 Old Feb 11th, 2006, 8:16 am

Talking

"In the mean time I had made some new friends through work. One day I get this call from Ken, one of my new friends, asking if I would want to go camping with him and his friends. I said sure since I knew several that were going. So off to REI I went to buy a tent and sleeping bag etc.

Ken and I went ahead of everyone on Friday. We each took a half a day off so we could set up the campsite at Bodega Bay. Beer being plentiful, we each had a few and watched the rest of the campers slowly trickle in. It was almost dark and two had not made it yet and we were all getting worried. Cell phones were not that common at the time so no way to contact and see if everything was ok with the last two.

About an hour later Ken and I are standing at the edge of the campsite talking and having another beer and a buzz going,"

WOW- I thought this first part here was the script from Brokeback Mountain..........
post #32 of 58 Old Feb 11th, 2006, 8:30 am

I met Sandar the magnificent in a bar.

I had been working 100 hour weeks, was the single mom of two leetle girls and was drinking like a fish. I'd like to say it was to compensate for the stress, but I was just your average, working alcoholic.

I took several thou from the bank, dropped the girls at their grandmother's house and decided to do nada but party solid for a week. At the end of that week I was either going to kill myself or go into rehab. Miserable stuff.

Two bud's of mine and moi went to the Riverwalk in San Antonio and were at a place called Dick's Last Resort. A place with picnic tables lined up where the wait staff is rude, demeaning and fun on purpose. My kinda place, but it was the Riverwalk and I thought still a leetle too chee-chee.

We were sitting there drinking Lone Star beer and slamming shots of Jack when three purdy gals sat down with us. They had no choice as the place is popular and it was the only picnic table open.

Sandy was the president of her local WOMPI group (Women of the Motion Picture Industry), worked for Paramount Pictures and was chairing their international meeting in San Antonio at the Riverwalk. Over a thousand gals from all over the world injected like a drug onto San Antonio.

Needless to say, they were classy and we were t-shirts, jeans and boots. They were Cadillacs and we were Harley. I fell in love at first sight and danced with her only. She was there to party (also a single mom of two) and I kept showing up on the riverwalk to find her and party with her.

I snuck into their final, black tie affair by belly crawling under a table where a bunch of seasoned old gals fed me off their plates. She didn't notice me till she got up on stage and was giving a speech. Thunderstruck? Indeed. Speechless? It happened. Black tie affair, motorcycling, tee-shirted/jean guy sitting under a table of giggling old crows being hand fed.

It was the last night before she had to go back to Dallas. I begged for her number, she gave me her bidness card. I told her I prolly wouldn't see her for awhile as I was going into rehab. She said she'd never had that effect on a man before. She told me I was a convention fling. She told me I was nice. She told me I was weird (she still tells me that). She got on the plane.

I did a lot of thinking in rehab, worked the program and came up with a new idea for a bidness that didn't involve as much work. I called her on the phone at her job every day. I formulated my bidness plan.... professionally and personally.

I gets out and send her a round trip plane ticket and then go sit at the airport and wait. She shows up!

I'd pop by her office in Dallas to take her to lunch.

I kept buying her plane tickets for every weekend. She kept showing up.

We talked on the phone.

I eventually asked her to marry me. Her mother had a screaming hissy fit. We got married.

Later on, and in retrospect, she told me that when I was courting her she wasn't quite sure most the time if it wasn't stalking.

She still lived in Dallas and flew in every weekend.

About four months later I walked into her office and yelled, "I'm taking my wife out of here, any of you tassle footed faggots want to try and stop me?" She came with me laughing and never looked back.

It was quite a culture shock for her moving from Dallas (her home town) to South Tejas. She went from over 300 power suits (with accessories, can't foget the frigging accessories) to flip flops and shorts. From working at Paramount pictures to being self employed. I don't imagine, nor do I fool myself, for one second she would have done that if I was broke, she was in love, but not stupid. She's still in love and still not stupid..... sigh.

She adopted my children and is the joy of my life. Incidentally, Joy is her middle name.

She's now my wife, best friend and bidness partner. I would rather be with her than anyone else, and usually am.

Life has been good to us, and sweet to us, and tragic and hard. Through it all we've stood together side by side. I just told her last night that life could do anything to me it wanted to and it wouldn't matter as I had the love of a good woman.

Who could ask for anything more?

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

-=grif=-

Grok
post #33 of 58 Old Feb 11th, 2006, 8:51 am

We met at a retail store. She was the clerk in cameras and I needed a camera.

How we got all the way to marriage, 24 years ago, is a story that would prove most of Dr. Phils theories wrong. Would make Oprah more money. If we could get some ex's involved and threw stuff, would work on Springer.

The woman is still marvelous, and the sex just keeps getting better. Hmmm... good idea. Oh Vicki.......
post #34 of 58 Old Feb 11th, 2006, 9:15 am

This is a great thread. A heart-lightener and smile provoker.

Todd...an AXE murderer? No way do you get off that lightly, bud, adult beverages or not. We just gotta axe...what's the rest of the story? Spill it (not your margarita, the story...)

T.

The Bad Ted

post #35 of 58 Old Feb 11th, 2006, 9:40 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by TandemCyclist
The woman is still marvelous, and the sex just keeps getting better. Hmmm... good idea. Oh Vicki.......
post #36 of 58 Old Feb 11th, 2006, 10:17 am

I met my wife at a large peace march in San Francisco in 1968. Over 200,000 people turned out, and, this is true, she was marching and I, just back from the service, was standing on a street corner throwing rocks. My golden retriever, Bodie, was with me. She liked the dog.

Four golden retrievers later we're still together.

Ride fast. Take chances.

2008 K1200GT
2004 Harley Road Glide "Kapo"
post #37 of 58 Old Feb 11th, 2006, 1:45 pm

Wow, I have been reading the posts for a few days now. Very impressive and fun to read. I'm not sure I want to share my whole story as that was another person but...

I had been working overnights for a few years and had no social life. Been out of a five year relationship for almost eight months and then it happened. I went to days. That means I can go to places that other people will be at. I started at this little bar about six nights a week. Good thing I had an auto pilot on my bike because most nights, I could hardly stand up. I only kept going back because I sorta liked the girl that poured my beer. We talked a lot and I would have asked her out a lot sooner but her husband did not like me. Yes, door slamming made me thing I had been shot in the back.
Well, after a few months, they split up and I moved in. Long story short, we have been married for 17 years. If you have a campfire and a chair, I might fill in all the blanks.

"BONES" <///><

2018 R1200RT
2002 K1200LTC--- Belle

"My wife and I have an understanding. I won't try to run her life and I won't try to run mine."
post #38 of 58 Old Feb 12th, 2006, 11:18 am

I met my sweetie at the POST OFFICE.

She worked the counter...I picked up my mail everyday at "will call" because
they didn't have street delivery where I moved to and they had no empty
boxed at the post office.

At the time I had an engagement ring ready to give to my college sweetheart
who I had moved away from after graduation. I flew back to College Station
(Texas A&M) to propose...but never did because of the "Postal Babe" I barely
knew back at my new home in El Paso...even though we'd never done
anything but talk across the counter.

When I got back to town I asked her out to lunch the next time I picked up
my mail. From that first innocent lunch at Chillis we've been an item that
other couples wish to be. We've since dated almost four years...and have
now been married 6 1/2 years. It's as good now as it was then!!!

post #39 of 58 Old Feb 12th, 2006, 3:15 pm
Lifetime Supporter

At the drive-in

Met my lovely bride at the drive-in. we were both with our parents. Orca the Killer Whale June 1977 We did not know each other existed before this night.

I went to the concession stand and there she was with 2 other girls and they asked me if I had any money. I did not have any money. Wound up talking to them till the show was over.

Got the hots for my what would be my wife and asked for the phone etc.. One of the other girls whom was trying to thow her self at any willing upright male got the brush off from me. The other girl encouraged her to go out with me and at first she reluctantly did. Amazingly, my wife and her are still best friends.

Dated for 3 years then we were married in 1980 both just 18 years old. Yeah we were nuts but had lots of fun. 25 soon to be 26 years later, 2 sons later 1/2 way to empty nesthood. 1 son married last fall, Life is good Thank God. He saved my marrage.

I have sent a request to the state of Illinois to mark the drive in as a land mark but they have not responded yet.

Mike G
Northen Illinois Packer Fan
K1200lt 2002
LT Trunk Latch Maker
post #40 of 58 Old Feb 17th, 2006, 4:01 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenixroyale
This is a great thread. A heart-lightener and smile provoker.

Todd...an AXE murderer? No way do you get off that lightly, bud, adult beverages or not. We just gotta axe...what's the rest of the story? Spill it (not your margarita, the story...)

T.
I wondered if anyone would notice my little post ;-)

It begins the way many stories do with a bit of blind luck and random chance that results in a person's life being changed forever.

18 years ago I was working on a black project for General Dynamics over in Cow Town (Ft. Worth to you non-Texans) and spent every free moment unwinding at a place called the Lone Star Oyster Bar that had a fun crowd and great music.

A friend and I arrived one night in time to get one of the few tables well before the crowd reached standing room only proportions. After we'd been there a few hours, a couple approached and offered to buy a round in exchange for being allowed to take the other two seats at our table. We said sure and they sat down.

This couple seemed nice enough. The girl was hot and the guy was funny though he did seem a bit "off". Perhaps just a bit too "intense" but I attributed it to the booze (or whatever else he may have enjoyed before arriving).

After an hour or so, a group of three young ladies approaches and the couple at our table jumps up and starts the whole hugging and screaming and "hey what are you doing here" routine. Seems they know the three ladies so they make introductions all around. One in particular (Julie) caught my eye.

We made room for them (sort of) at the table and it turns out that Julie and this guy had been a minor item in the past and she kind of new the girl he was with too. The guy went out of his way to introduce Julie as he knew her the best and even seemed to be trying to fix her up with one of us (perhaps feeling guilty about having another girl on his arm). The rest of the night passed without incident.

I didn't see Julie again for a couple of weeks but then we ran into each other at the check out line of the local Tom Thumb. I just kinda smiled and waved at her but she took charge and came right up and asked for my number "because she had a question about the apartment complex I lived in". Yeah, right...but she did call and we went out and blah, blah, blah, we got married a few months later.

Now, the stuff you've been waiting for: We finally got to that part of the relationship where you ask the uncomfortable questions about past relationships. I asked about the guy from the bar and she kinda dances around the details but admits they went out for a while but that he creeped her out so she broke it off. It seems he kept trying to introduce "items" into the bedroom scene like handcuffs and such. Hey, says I, whatever floats your boat but I was glad to hear she broke it off right away.

A few months go by and we see a story in the paper about the dismembered body of a local woman being discovered in Florida. Turns out it's the hot girl from that night in the bar! Seems she and the guy went on a trip and only one of them came back. Over the course of many months details emerge that link this guy to the deed (and she was hacked up, though cause of death was uncertain so he may not have been an actual axe murder but you get the idea). However, hard evidence is lacking so the guy skates. No doubt in our minds or the cops that Julie's been interviewed that this guy killed the girl but that's the way it goes sometimes.

We've actually seen the guy out and about over the years. I always go out of my way to be friendly!

Todd R.
Grapevine, TX USA

'78 R80/7
'06 FJR1300A

"You will now be thrown into the Obamaucracy. In his belly you will find a new definition of pain and suffering as you are slowly taxed to death over the next four years."
post #41 of 58 Old Feb 17th, 2006, 4:06 pm

Thumbs up

Wow Todd! You win!!!
post #42 of 58 Old Feb 17th, 2006, 4:19 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwhd
18 years ago I was working on a black project for General Dynamics over in Cow Town (Ft. Worth to you non-Texans) and spent every free moment unwinding at a place called the Lone Star Oyster Bar that had a fun crowd and great music.
Now that's interesting. So did I. Only I did it from here.

Bill McAllister
St. Louis, MO.
2003 K1200LTE
post #43 of 58 Old Mar 9th, 2006, 8:17 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by McAllister
Now that's interesting. So did I. Only I did it from here.
Doomed from the start, that was (A12 project). Took me 6 months to get clearance for the project and after my initial briefing I started looking for another job right away ;-)

Todd R.
Grapevine, TX USA

'78 R80/7
'06 FJR1300A

post #44 of 58 Old Mar 10th, 2006, 6:34 am

Who ever thought the two of us could have gotten together as partners was dumber than dirt. That was a bad program and the customer certainly didn't help any. It could have been a neat aircraft. The only way I was "released" from the program was to go to war in the desert.

Bill McAllister
St. Louis, MO.
2003 K1200LTE
post #45 of 58 Old Oct 28th, 2008, 8:05 am

Re: How did you meet your spouse?

I'll resurrect this thread from the dead. There's probably a lot of people that haven't seen it. I found it on one of Joe's related threads. I'll start reading it tonight, too much for now.

Neil '00 K1200LT '08 KLR
"Far away, is far away...
Only if you don't go!!!"
post #46 of 58 Old Oct 28th, 2008, 8:59 am

Love this thread. Who could not? Thanks for the resurrection.

T.

The Bad Ted

post #47 of 58 Old Oct 28th, 2008, 12:02 pm

ah what the hell...

Met this big time wrestler by accident, she happened to like me..after the 10th body slam I was seeing stars, don't remember saying yes but we ended up married...32 years later I'm still trying to figure out how to get away!
post #48 of 58 Old Oct 28th, 2008, 6:59 pm

She stepped on my fingers as I was going out the door at the bar......................Pete
post #49 of 58 Old Oct 28th, 2008, 11:05 pm
Lifetime Supporter

An acquaintance of mine in May of 1975 called and asks for a ride from our hometown of Franklin, LA to Lafayette.. about 50 miles. Turned out to give him and his girlfriend a ride .. they were rooming with my future Wife.

We got to the house and my friend sez.. "we need to go back to Franklin... I left my keys at home." I said.. nope... His girlfriend sez "My cousin Phyllis is home.. just knock." So, I knock.. and she calls out her name..."Phyllis, it's me, Charlette, I don't have my key." She keeps repeating and I keep knocking... Windows are rattling...

She finally throws open door .. realizes I'm not Charlette...and being backlit, I said "Well, hello.. glad to meet you!"

She slammed the door.

Love at first.. yeah.. amazing how that works! No doubt, God made her just for me... "My Angel" and I were married in 1976, March 06. A year and a month later our first Son was born...we have 3 sons, all US Marines, two Grand daughters and one Grand son...

And she is still putting up with me... gotta be an Angel.... I am blessed.

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

post #50 of 58 Old Oct 29th, 2008, 9:23 am
Lifetime Supporter

She worked in a cafe that my buddies and I went to regularly. I had noticed her busing tables (tall, good looking and never said a word). One day the manager, LuAnn, (also a friend) came up to me and said " It's the bus girl's last day. She's painfully shy and has huge crush on you. I'll buy your tea if you wink at her." I said "Wink?! Heck I'll go talk to her." I went over and introduced myself, we chatted a bit, she looked at me with those big brown eyes and I was done for. ... but I failed to ask for her number.

A month later, one of my buddies said, "hey remember that cutie over at the Hoffman house? She's working at Hardware Hank." Needless to say, I had an immediate need to start a project, and you can guess my store of choice. A couple of visits later we started dating. 1st date Oct. 12, 1985, married April 12, 1986. Three kids and 4 moves later, she's still putting up with me. When it's right, it's right.

Benny C. (Central Texas)
2001 LTC Pacific Blue (Babe...the blue ox)
1986 Kawasaki Concours (Connie) sold

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in