Another IT Question - Maybe a bad power supply? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old Feb 9th, 2010, 8:39 pm Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Another IT Question - Maybe a bad power supply?

We are having lots of work done around the house, new tile, wallboards, paint etc., with tons of dust. Last night I turned off my computer and disconnected most wires to get it out of the way for new baseboards being installed.

Hooked it up to day and two ( 2) seconds after I turned on the power, it turned itself off. I could turn it on, but almost mediately, it turned its self off again. I took the cover off and saw a lot of dust inside. I tried to vacuum up the dust, particular in the power supply and hesitated to just blow it around. Now the computer is running and I have backed everything up. Should I start to look for a new power supply or maybe it's time to replace everything as it's about 5 years old.?

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old Feb 9th, 2010, 8:47 pm

Re: Another IT Question - Maybe a bad power supply?

I think it's just one of those computer things.

I wouldn't worry about it unless you have further issues.

When you first plug one in. Sometimes the power supply get's "confused" for lack of a better word. It'll spool up and then shut off. Cleaning out certainly didn't hurt it.
As long as the fan is running and moving air. You're probably ok.

If I replaced something everytime one of them acted up a little. I guess I'd make a hell of a lot more money....But I'd just be screwing my customes. I don't do that.

Give it a day or two. If no more issues, You're probably fine. Heck, The power cord could have been a little loose....I can't tell you how many time's I've had to charge $75.00 to plug someones power cord back in.

John

Live and direct from the new earthquake capitol of the U.S. Jones, Oklahoma
08 Can-Am Spyder (Miss Lindy's)
03 R1200CLC Capri Blue "Flipper"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

01 R1100RT Glacier Blue "Lucky"
91 R100GS "It'sNotAMoneyPit"
The voices in my head may not be real, But they have some good ideas!

"I like the wind in my face and Boobies on my back. No, Wait, I got that backwards"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 15 Old Feb 9th, 2010, 9:20 pm
Some guy on the Interwebs

I wouldn't worry about it if it's running ok now. If it happens again, on a five year old machine, I would just replace the computer. But FYI, you don't want to vacuum the inside of a computer, the airflow can create static electricity and fry a part. Better to use canned air from an office supply place and blow the dust out of it.

Hal
Lodi, California

If you aren't good for anything else, you can always serve as a bad example.

HDDC Posse

post #4 of 15 Old Feb 9th, 2010, 9:27 pm Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Thanks - Thanks _ thanks.... Seems to be working OK. I'll pick up some canned air in the morning. Didn't hurt to back it up.

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
post #5 of 15 Old Feb 10th, 2010, 7:19 am

Garage

I would also recommend backing up all of your data on a external HD or pen drive(s) or CD(s), just in case it burns out again. If it is a bad power supply, you could always convert your existing HD to an external HD but for piece of mind, I'd back everything up. Just in case

Rob V.B.
2015 Triumph Explorer 1200
2007 BMW GT (SOLD)

2003 BMW LT (SOLD)

2002 BMW R1150 traded for 2002 Yamaha FZ1 traded for a 2003 GSXR 750

post #6 of 15 Old Feb 10th, 2010, 8:38 am

We cleaned our a power supply on a server while it was running. Sprayed a can of contact/circut board cleaner into the fan. A huge dust cloud then a flame came out the back like an after burner Now that's the way to clean it.

Just Go

Mike
Cleveland Ohio
2019 K1600b Grand America, Blue Max.
post #7 of 15 Old Feb 10th, 2010, 9:53 am

Remember to put a grounding strap on when fiddling around inside the PC. Especially if you're messing with stuff like blowing the dust out or a vacuum ( ) inside. It's REALLY easy to spark it and fry out a PCI board or worse.... don't ask how I know.....

Ground Strap

R1200GSA Hi Ho, Hi Ho, It's off to Alaska I go!
(Down to ONE BIKE - ARGH!)
post #8 of 15 Old Feb 10th, 2010, 12:14 pm

Sounds like the dust was creating a short somewhere. Blowing out the insides of the computerwith compressed won't hurt it. If the P/S were truly faulty it would have remained inop.
post #9 of 15 Old Feb 10th, 2010, 5:59 pm Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

I had to shut it down for a while and it was still hesitating to start. Is there something special about the air in a bottle? I have diving tanks that have plenty of compressed air that I can regulate for an easy slow stream. Seems like that would be the same thing. I don't know about moisture though. The compressed air is pretty dry.

I did watch a DIY video on replacing the power supply and it doesn't look very hard. Thanks for the reminder on the ground strap too.

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
post #10 of 15 Old Feb 10th, 2010, 6:23 pm

Just a note, the compressed air for the PC is usually Co2 and a mixture of other compounds, and not O2. It doesn't leave behind the moisture as you allude to - which is a huge potential issue.

HTH

R1200GSA Hi Ho, Hi Ho, It's off to Alaska I go!
(Down to ONE BIKE - ARGH!)

Last edited by KMC1; Feb 10th, 2010 at 6:26 pm. Reason: Added "mixture"
post #11 of 15 Old Feb 10th, 2010, 6:30 pm Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMC1
Just a note, the compressed air for the PC is usually Co2 and a mixture of other compounds, and not O2. It doesn't leave behind the moisture as you allude to - which is a huge potential issue.

HTH
Tanks - I mean Thanks..... I'll pick up a bottle in the morning.

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
post #12 of 15 Old Feb 10th, 2010, 7:48 pm

Something else to consider is the Processor fan. Most motherboards now have protection on them that will shut the system down when the processor reaches a certain temperature.

It could be that dust had it stopped temporarily and has now cleared.

Like the rest are saying...if it is working now just go with it. You sure did the right thing backing things up!

Ron

747,891 miles on touring motorcycles since 1990

IBA 45658 MOA167437

2000 LTC 90,600 miles KIA (new)
2003 LTE 164,188 miles Silver (Purchased with 1687)
2008 R1200RT 176,196 miles (Purchased with 16458)
2017 R1200RT 96,669miles (new)
Total BMW miles 509,508
1982 GL1100 rode 84108 miles (bought with 12012 sold 96120)
1988 GL1500 rode 12067 miles (bought with 19893 totaled 31960)
1989 GL1500 rode 142208 miles (bought with 20302 sold 162510)
Goldwing miles 238,383
post #13 of 15 Old Feb 11th, 2010, 8:13 am Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

I really do appreciate the advise I get here because it is so quick, generally pretty accurate and without the slamming that is so present on most forums. There is an amazing wealth of knowledge here....

Speaking of back-ups. I have been doing that regularly, using the software that came with Windows XP, on an external connected drive about every week, but have never had to restore it. Probably won't know if it is working until too late.

Any hints or suggestion from someone who has actually had a hard drive fail and then restored it with a previous back up? Did you restore just files or everything? What software did you use?

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
post #14 of 15 Old Feb 11th, 2010, 8:45 am

With a good backup.
You'll reinstall the O/S with the original disks, Then use the backup software to restore the entire disk or just the data depending on what you've got. If you've backed up everything including the system state, Then you can restore it back the way it was...

Most of the time I wil just restore the data so the computer can have a "fresh" reload of all the software. This will put a computer back in top running shape.

If you choose to restore the whole o/s and data from the backup, Your computer will be back to the way it was just before the crash. Including any ongoing problems you might have had.

Feel free to email me any time with your questions.
I do this every day all day long.

John

Live and direct from the new earthquake capitol of the U.S. Jones, Oklahoma
08 Can-Am Spyder (Miss Lindy's)
03 R1200CLC Capri Blue "Flipper"

01 R1100RT Glacier Blue "Lucky"
91 R100GS "It'sNotAMoneyPit"
The voices in my head may not be real, But they have some good ideas!

"I like the wind in my face and Boobies on my back. No, Wait, I got that backwards"

post #15 of 15 Old Feb 11th, 2010, 9:23 am Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Thanks John,

That makes sense. I had not looked at it that way. Almost seems like it might be a good idea to simply start fresh with the Operating System and original software every few years and just reload files and browsing web sites.

I like the idea of a fresh software reload. Maybe like washing the bike. It always seems to run better after a good wash and wax. Thanks for the good tips and off line offer of assistance.

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in