IT Support Needed - FireFox won't close - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 Old Jan 27th, 2010, 2:01 pm Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

IT Support Needed - FireFox won't close

Because of the favorable reports, I switched from IE to Firefox and I really do like the speed. The only real problem is that occasionally, and not on all web sites, it will not close without a Control-Alternate-Delete. I did a Google search for solutions and they seem to be quite complicated. Any simple non-techie solutions to my problem?

Another minor problem is getting my web site favorites ( now called bookmarks) organized. I was able to easily set up folders for IE, but can't figure out how to do the same in Firefox. My IE folders are still available, but the web sites for Firefox are in a long column.

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 Old Jan 27th, 2010, 2:33 pm

Garage
Re: IT Support Needed - FireFox won't close

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandiver
Another minor problem is getting my web site favorites ( now called bookmarks) organized. I was able to easily set up folders for IE, but can't figure out how to do the same in Firefox. My IE folders are still available, but the web sites for Firefox are in a long column.
Press CTRL-SHIFT-B to get to the bookmark manager - you can sort and organize (create folders, drag links into new folders, etc.) from that screen.

The folder tree you want is "Bookmarks Menu" on the left side ("Bookmarks Toolbar" are the links created on the main toolbar on the browser screen). Click on VIEWS->SORT to choose you sort order. I believe the standard sort order is alphabetic unless you move things around manually; I don't believe this sort order affects the bookmark pull down menu order.

You can also "drag-in-drop" bookmarks directly in the Bookmarks pulldown menu and make folders (try "right-clicking" in the bookmark menu).

Good luck!

Gino
Modesto, CA
'02 Silver
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For they passed a noble law,
And the trees are all kept equal
By hatchet, axe, and saw. --Rush
post #3 of 26 Old Jan 27th, 2010, 6:24 pm

Quote:
Because of the favorable reports, I switched from IE to Firefox and I really do like the speed. The only real problem is that occasionally, and not on all web sites, it will not close without a Control-Alternate-Delete. I did a Google search for solutions and they seem to be quite complicated. Any simple non-techie solutions to my problem?

Your not the only one I have been having that same problem I tried to reinstall it a couple of days ago ..so far so good. I will keep you posted I'm running 3.6 right now

Nelson
99 K1200LT

post #4 of 26 Old Jan 27th, 2010, 8:10 pm Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

I have 3.6 and I like all of the features, it just won't always close by its self. It is much faster than IE.

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
post #5 of 26 Old Jan 27th, 2010, 8:22 pm

I have found that Firefox continually increases the amount of memory used the longer that you have it open. On my system, once the memory usage exceeds 800k, then Firefox slows down to the point that it doesn't seem to be responding. I go to the processes tab of the task manager and manually end the process. Once it completely closes, I then reopen Firefox and it works as normal. I have gotten out of the habit of leaving Firefox open for long periods of time. YMMV

Res ipsa loquitur, sed quid in infernos dicet?

Alan Stuber
2003 K1200 LTC Titan Silver
Austin, Texas

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 26 Old Jan 27th, 2010, 9:35 pm

I have FireFox on 4 different machines and don't have a problem on any of them. So... I have just been lucky?

I still like IE better for the most part, but use FireFox at least 50% of the time due to some programs have features that are not available when using IE.
post #7 of 26 Old Jan 28th, 2010, 11:27 am

Opera here... no headaches and just as fast... No need to use the utility knife to get the dang thing to close either... been on it for over 6 months now... same speed as when it was installed.

Until the peeps at Mozilla figure out how to limit the amount of memory it consumes and then gives it the ability to isolate each tab as a separate process, it will be a browser mired in issues.

Chrome is a better browser because of the mentioned problems... but for now, I like the Opera interface...

Uncle Mark

BMW '06' 1200LT "Wild Blue"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

BMWMOA Member #127457
Honda CX500 Custom - RIP '00'

"An intelligence agency that FEARS intelligence? Historically, not awesome." . . . From what movie?

post #8 of 26 Old Jan 28th, 2010, 2:00 pm Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleMark
Opera here... no headaches and just as fast... No need to use the utility knife to get the dang thing to close either... been on it for over 6 months now... same speed as when it was installed.

Until the peeps at Mozilla figure out how to limit the amount of memory it consumes and then gives it the ability to isolate each tab as a separate process, it will be a browser mired in issues.

Chrome is a better browser because of the mentioned problems... but for now, I like the Opera interface...
A while back I tried to load Chrome, but after loading, it kept requiring me to have Firefox! I deleted Firefox and then reloaded Chrome and I kept getting the message that it need Firefox! I finally deleted it Chrome and went back to Firefox. You are right in the amount of space Firefox takes. Any tricks to loading chrome and having it operate by it's self?

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
post #9 of 26 Old Jan 28th, 2010, 4:52 pm

Garage

Quote:
A while back I tried to load Chrome, but after loading, it kept requiring me to have Firefox! I deleted Firefox and then reloaded Chrome and I kept getting the message that it need Firefox! I finally deleted it Chrome and went back to Firefox. You are right in the amount of space Firefox takes. Any tricks to loading chrome and having it operate by it's self?
Chrome browser? Should just be a download and install, from any browser.

Not aware that it "needs" firefox to run...

Gino
Modesto, CA
'02 Silver
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
post #10 of 26 Old Jan 28th, 2010, 5:08 pm

Quote:
Gino's right... Chrome and Firefox are wrestler's on the opposite sides of a football field trying to make baskets and turn double plays... It should just download and install... no ref to Firefox should occur...

Uncle Mark

BMWMOA Member #127457

"An intelligence agency that FEARS intelligence? Historically, not awesome." . . . From what movie?

post #11 of 26 Old Jan 29th, 2010, 12:15 am

Interesting. I have run Firefox for years on XP and on the Mac before Safari grew up, and I cannot every recall having it close. It was the first decent RSS reader I ever used, and its still a few revs ahead of I.E.

Chrome should be just a little bit faster and you are the first lucky guy I ever heard of that had chrome ask for Firefox.

wild bil
07 K1200LT Biarritz Blau
80 Yamaha XS850 Black - retired in 06
post #12 of 26 Old Jan 31st, 2010, 7:32 am

The only time I can't get fire fox to close is when I am using webVPN at work. If I close VPN first then I have no problem closing fire fox.
post #13 of 26 Old Jan 31st, 2010, 8:21 am Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

I'm sure that it is my computer that is having the interference problem. Firefox is still operating after I exit all web sites about 50% of the time. It seems to uses a lot of memory too. More than anything that is operating at the time.

I have to do a Control-Alternate-Delete to get it to shut down. Not a biggie, but aggravating.

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL

Last edited by dandiver; Jan 31st, 2010 at 9:11 am.
post #14 of 26 Old Jan 31st, 2010, 9:05 am Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

It's too cloudy to go skydiving, yet, so I loaded Chrome and it seems to be working.

I looked at Windows Task Manager (C-A-D) and it is showing 3 chrome.exe files running at the same time. Is that correct? A total of about 90,000 K compared to Firefox 175,000K +.

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
post #15 of 26 Old Jan 31st, 2010, 11:30 am

Garage

Quote:
I looked at Windows Task Manager (C-A-D) and it is showing 3 chrome.exe files running at the same time. Is that correct? A total of about 90,000 K compared to Firefox 175,000K +.
That's what mine shows - three processes. I THINK it's a "main" Chrome process some for the tabs you have open. Chrome runs each tab as a separate process, memory space etc., so probably just how they manage all that. One of the processes grows as you add tabs, FWIW.

Gino
Modesto, CA
'02 Silver
post #16 of 26 Old Jan 31st, 2010, 12:10 pm Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

another Chrome question: I am used to having a blank search line for Google near the top of a browser page, but when I loaded Chrome, there is nothing. I can add "search center" but there is no line unless I click on it. Guess what I'm looking for is my old Google task line with "fill in" and search features. Can't seem to locate where to add it.

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
post #17 of 26 Old Jan 31st, 2010, 12:27 pm

Hey, Dano - while you're up there sky diving, can I interrupt the thread for a sec, while the IT gurus are still around??

OS is Win XP on a desktop.

1. Last week, I downloaded IE 8 (strong suggestion from Andy and others) to replace the old IE 6 that I've been using for a hunnert years.

2.. Three changes have occurred that pertain to the forum usage:

a. In the past, I've been able to rest the cursor over the thread title and the OP's handle would appear. Now, it no longer does that.

b. In the past, I could place the cursor over the calendar date in the classified forum and the number of ads placed that day would appear. Now, it no longer does that.

c. In the past, using the hybrid mode of thread reading, I could click on a thread, say near the bottom of the list/page; read that thread and when finished reading the thread, hit the 'back' button and it would return to the list at the previous thread location. Now, it no longer does that, butt instead, takes me back to the top of the entire list, so that now I have to scroll down the list to find where I wuz before I read the thread.

I have no idea if IE 8 has any action in this, and I don't recall making any changes to the way I read the forum pages - I'm just wondering if it's a coincidence, or is there a setting I zigged when I should have zagged??

Thanks for letting me jump in here, Dano. One or two guru postings and I'll be done before you get back from falling outta the sky!!! Best regards.
post #18 of 26 Old Jan 31st, 2010, 1:24 pm Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Way too windy and cloudy to jump today - I was delusional! Wishing and a hoping though..... Working through the Chrome issues. Seems faster. Sorta like waxing the bike. Always faster....

anyway hope you get some answers too, We got some real experts around here and you're welcome to jump in anytime. You give a whole lot more than you get...

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
post #19 of 26 Old Jan 31st, 2010, 2:18 pm

Dano...Just wondering what ur first jump was like. Always wanted too but dont have the nutz to do it.

Nelson
99 K1200LT
post #20 of 26 Old Jan 31st, 2010, 3:32 pm Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelson61
Dano...Just wondering what ur first jump was like. Always wanted too but dont have the nutz to do it.
I loved it - Long story short, in a Cessna, went up to around 3,000 feet, I jumped, the parachute opened and landed....

Went through a static line class in the mid 80's. Liked it so much that on the first day after my first jump, I went up and made a second jump. Got hooked and now try to jump every weekend.

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
post #21 of 26 Old Jan 31st, 2010, 4:11 pm

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick
I have no idea if IE 8 has any action in this, and I don't recall making any changes to the way I read the forum pages - I'm just wondering if it's a coincidence, or is there a setting I zigged when I should have zagged??
I've had issues with this site running IE8, UNLESS you're in "compatibility mode."

Next to the address line (between the address line and the up-down refresh icon) there's another icon that looks like a ripped piece of paper. Click it to enable compatibility mode for the website.

Gino
Modesto, CA
'02 Silver
post #22 of 26 Old Jan 31st, 2010, 4:24 pm

Garage

Quote:
another Chrome question: I am used to having a blank search line for Google near the top of a browser page, but when I loaded Chrome, there is nothing. I can add "search center" but there is no line unless I click on it. Guess what I'm looking for is my old Google task line with "fill in" and search features. Can't seem to locate where to add it.
Just start typing in the address bar - Chrome combined search and address entry in the same place.

What's still missing is the Google Toolbar... strange... I'm still sticking with FF for now - I think they're extensions are better than those available for Chrome.

Gino
Modesto, CA
'02 Silver

Last edited by Gino; Jan 31st, 2010 at 4:38 pm.
post #23 of 26 Old Jan 31st, 2010, 4:49 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gino
I've had issues with this site running IE8, UNLESS you're in "compatibility mode."

Next to the address line (between the address line and the up-down refresh icon) there's another icon that looks like a ripped piece of paper. Click it to enable compatibility mode for the website.
That did it, Gino - thanks so much. I'da never got there on my own, cuz I had other thoughts as to what that leetle icon did!!!

And thanks for putting up with the interruption, Dano --- don'tcha just love this community?!!!
post #24 of 26 Old Jan 31st, 2010, 5:13 pm Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

I'm thinking that we might need an IT section. For me anyway!

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
post #25 of 26 Old Feb 1st, 2010, 11:36 am

Quote:
I'm thinking that we might need an IT section. For me anyway!
Nice idea... Altho, when the weather gets good, the IT yahoo's will be riding... And I are one...

BTW... why would you want to jump out of a perfectly good working airplane???

Uncle Mark

BMWMOA Member #127457

post #26 of 26 Old Feb 1st, 2010, 5:08 pm Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleMark
Nice idea... Altho, when the weather gets good, the IT yahoo's will be riding... And I are one...

BTW... why would you want to jump out of a perfectly good working airplane???

Can't really give you a logical reason..... Just something I wanted to try and I got hooked. It can be quite addicting! Wanted to keep experiencing free-fall and after I got better at it, started doing it with others at the same time.

Imagine 8 airplanes in an inverted V formation flying at 21,000 feet, 175 people unhooking oxygen and then diving at 200 MPH+ to where they think the center of the group will be located. Once there we slowing down, match the fall rate of around 130 MPH and hold on to each other. There are only a few other things I'd rather be doing.

Moving back to the topic, I was able to download Chrome and it seems to be working quite well. No more Firefox ( it did not want to let go of my computer) surfing is quite simple.

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in