Live coverage of Apple Announcement - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 Old Jan 27th, 2010, 12:13 pm Thread Starter

Live coverage of Apple Announcement

Here's a link to the live feed for the Apple Event today.
This could be exciting for any of us who are "techies".

http://cnettv.cnet.com/9776-19709_53-0.html

Come on Iphone on Verizon network baby!!!

R1200GSA Hi Ho, Hi Ho, It's off to Alaska I go!
(Down to ONE BIKE - ARGH!)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old Jan 27th, 2010, 1:49 pm

Garage
Re: Live coverage of Apple Announcement

Looks like a giant iTouch...

Gino
Modesto, CA
'02 Silver
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For they passed a noble law,
And the trees are all kept equal
By hatchet, axe, and saw. --Rush
post #3 of 17 Old Jan 27th, 2010, 5:01 pm Thread Starter

Sooooo disappointed....no Verizon Iphone.... again.....

post #4 of 17 Old Jan 27th, 2010, 6:29 pm

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMC1
Sooooo disappointed....no Verizon Iphone.... again.....
Yep - looks like they've locked in with AT&T for the FAR future...

Gino
Modesto, CA
'02 Silver
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
post #5 of 17 Old Jan 27th, 2010, 8:14 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gino
Yep - looks like they've locked in with AT&T for the FAR future...
So bummed. I was really hoping.
The new Nexus One looks pretty awesome though, and runs on the Android platform. In a couple months that's going to be on Verizon supposedly, and something even better might be introduced within that time frame..... I'm CHOMPING at the bit to get a better smartphone with Verizon service....waiting, waiting, waiting.....

post #6 of 17 Old Jan 28th, 2010, 7:10 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gino
Looks like a giant iTouch...
And you can't remove/change the batteries on that either!
No user changeable batteries. ATT only. No web cam? What are they thinking?

Just Go
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mike
Cleveland Ohio
2019 K1600b Grand America, Blue Max.
post #7 of 17 Old Jan 28th, 2010, 3:55 pm

Hitlers iPad http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lQnT0zp8Ya4
post #8 of 17 Old Jan 28th, 2010, 4:48 pm

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwnahas
And you can't remove/change the batteries on that either!
No user changeable batteries. ATT only. No web cam? What are they thinking?
Yeah - iBought into the hype and watched it live on the web.

iWanted to believe. iWaited for an iPhone 4.0. iHoped it'd be better than it was. In the end, I was underwhelmed.

And iPad - seriously? iPad?!?!?!?!

Gino
Modesto, CA
'02 Silver
post #9 of 17 Old Jan 29th, 2010, 9:33 am
Lifetime Supporter

Stevie might need to get out more.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L68aKVAzwQ4

From MADtv 2005

Motor On ,/'

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #10 of 17 Old Jan 29th, 2010, 11:21 am

I guess I am going against the grain of the all of the previous posts, but my impression of Apple’s new product is quite favorable. Following are a few of my rambling thoughts, none of which are intended to offend anyone or create a MAC verses Windows debate.

I think the iPad has the potential to be an excellent niche product:

A giant WiFi capable iPod iTouch with the option to access the internet on a non contractual pay as you go 3G network as needed makes sense to me and is a good thing.

Reading books in color with embedded photos and video seems pretty cool.

The entry point of $499 for WiFi version is attractive as is allowing me the option to upgrade to a 3G radio version if I so choose.

My use of spreadsheets, word processing, and presentation software is only on a casual basis since my early retirement: To offer an iPad app for the applications contained in the iWork suite at $10 each seems very reasonable.

Surfing the internet using Apple’s Safari app and touch screen technology is a pleasure and shouldn’t be discounted as a ho hum feature.

The iPad is similar to digital picture viewers in size and can function as such by viewing slide shows of photos.

Being able to capitalize on the apps developed for the iPhone/iPod Touch is outstanding for me. Using various apps that I have downloaded for my iPod Touch, most of which were free, I can control music playing thru out my house, view the screens and control various computers (yes they are Macs with a legacy PC (primarily for MapSource and a CAD program).

Having said all of the above, I will continue to critically review the new iPad and await tester evaluations with as much focus on finding out what is right and/or wrong with it.

I think, I’ll go get a sip of kool-ade -- Hmmm ....BMW or Apple, tough decision.

I’m back, couldn’t decide which kool-ade so I had both. Now I am thinking about a new winter project; e.g., Mount a 3G iPad on the LT: music, video, navigation, internet - No reason to get off the bike!

Jim S.
'07 SturmGrau K1200LT

“Not all those who wander are lost.”

post #11 of 17 Old Jan 29th, 2010, 12:43 pm
IBR# 366

Garage

Regardless of what y'all may think of AT&T (and regardless of the red/blue map debate), they still have the best data network - especially if you want to use data and make a call at the same time.

Once Verizon et al. move to their LTE/4G network in late 2010-2011, then we'll start to see Apple products that are compatible with that superior technology.

Remember, Apple is a technology company first and foremost.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #12 of 17 Old Jan 29th, 2010, 1:08 pm
Bouncer

It's $20 more than a Kindle DX, so in that respect, I think the product will do well.

Overall, the iPad fell way short in many respects.

No multitasking. Come on, I should be able to do more than one thing at one time.

Crippled OS. It's Mac OS X lite. There are some apps I'd like to run on it that require the full OS X.

No digital ink. Why did Apple buy Digital Ink 7 years ago if they aren't going to do anything with it???

No USB. I can't add a USB stick, I can't use my own broadband card, I can't back up to a usb drive.....

No camera. What use is an all purpose personal device if I can't do video chat with iChat or Skype.

On the AT&T data capabilities, if you put a phone in it, then let it also be a phone. Also, if I already have an iPhone, WTF are you charging me another $30 per month for data service. It's not like I'll be using them at the same time. Just silly.

BTW, say what you want about AT&T. If Verizon had 22 million iPhone users hit their network, it would suck as well. Also, since Sprint and Verizon use the same CDMA technology, I'd rather see Sprint and the WiMax solution than either AT&T or Verizon right now.

'04 Sprint RS Caspian Blue

"I am hoping for an asteroid impact to put all this climate change nonsense to bed."
-
post #13 of 17 Old Jan 29th, 2010, 4:19 pm
IBR# 366

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhsonderb
I guess I am going against the grain of the all of the previous posts, but my impression of Apple’s new product is quite favorable.
I think it's exactly what Apple should put out at this time. It's simple, elegant, affordable, and while it may not do everything that everyone wants, what it does do, it does very, very well. And that sums up Apple in a nutshell.

Sure, you could add a camera, a usb port, an SD card slot, an FM radio, and a second dock connector, but all that would add to the cost and folks would say "it's too expensive." And you could make a replaceable battery, but that would also add to the cost and folks would complain about the lower battery life. And you could add multitasking, but folks would just complain how slow the device is instead of raving about how snappy it feels.

Engineering is a series of compromises, in which you balance many competing priorities and possibilities in order to create the "best" product you can. Problem is, not everyone ranks their priorities the same, or agrees what "best" actually means.

Remember, this isn't supposed to be a Laptop Lite that will solve all your problems. Instead, they're creating an entirely new category here. Much like they did with the original iPod. These days mp3 players are ubiquitous and Apple owns the market, plus they created and own the digital download market as well.

I think the iPad will take off as a portable "home" device, useful for carrying around the house and doing those tasks that just aren't worth dragging the laptop out for. And it will be a hit with city commuters, to help amuse and entertain them on subways, trains, and buses, not to mention making those long plane flights slightly more bearable. Digital artists will use it as a combination portable portfolio/sketch pad. And students will flock to it as an all-purpose notepad and media entertainment device.

Especially once they get all the textbooks on board. There's huge money to be made in that market alone (which Apple will also own completely), never mind indoctrinating a whole new generation into the Apple cult.

And yes, there's the potential for the iBook store to take off the way the iTunes store did, or the App store has, giving a boost to fiction, non-fiction, comic books, newspapers, magazines, and even movies.

Think of it this way: before the iTunes store, CDs were readily available and so was free, downloadable music (albeit with murky legality and difficult interfaces). Apple simply created a way for consumers to easily and legally purchase music tracks, and gave them the hardware to enjoy it on. Yes, it's a closed ecosystem with a restrictive DRM (a concession to the music companies to be sure), but it's easy and it just plain works. And that's Apple's specialty.

You can still buy hard copy books and magazines, or you can look a lot of stuff up on the web for free (including many newspapers and magazines), but there isn't yet an easy way to buy this content and have it all available in an easily portable format. Yes, you can carry 2 or 3 books and a half-dozen magazines around, but you could also have carried a stack of CDs with you 10 years ago, although nobody really did that.

Come on, how many of you simply stuck 6 CDs in the LT's changer and forgot about them? I've had an iPod on my bike for almost 10 years now, and thus have pretty much my entire music collection available anytime I want it. And again, it just plain works, the way the iPad will just plain work, and thus folks will be willing to pony up a few $$ here and there to get the content they want when and where they want it.

And yes, that includes movies, at affordable prices and stunning resolutions.

So Apple wins on the hardware sales, the content providers win by being able to charge for their content instead of giving it away online, and again, Apple wins by taking a cut of those sales, and by increasing those sales to levels never dreamed of by most folks. Just as we've seen before with music and apps.

So if you still think the iPad falls short of your expectations, remember this is version 1.0. Much as the original 5 Gig iPod was version 1.0 of that device, and look where it's come to now. So if it helps, just think of the iPad as an iPod Touch XL, with a lot more potential.

Trust me, they're already working on the next upgrade to both the iPad and the iPhone, and it'll be awesome.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #14 of 17 Old Jan 29th, 2010, 4:31 pm
Bouncer

I will agree and say it's a Kindle killer.

I am betting that Amazon is creating a Kindle App for the iPad right now. How long it takes for Amazon to kill the Kindle production line is dependent on Bezos' IQ.

"I am hoping for an asteroid impact to put all this climate change nonsense to bed."
-
post #15 of 17 Old Jan 29th, 2010, 4:50 pm
IBR# 366

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by eljeffe
I am betting that Amazon is creating a Kindle App for the iPad right now.
There's already a free iPhone Kindle app that will run on the iPad as is. All they have to do is to scale it up to make better use of the large display which should be trivial.

And figure out if folks will use that to buy their content through Amazon instead of through Apple and iBooks. Or if Apple will even let them.

Besides, Apple knew what they were doing when they based the iPad OS on the iPhone and not OS X. First, it leaves the app store completely in place as an ongoing revenue stream while giving the iPad an immediate head start on all other tablets, and second, it avoids the iPad competing directly with Apple's laptop sales.

Although, I'd still like one of those ModBooks, especially if they can put it in a waterproof case . . .

Ken
Pacific NorthWet

post #16 of 17 Old Jan 29th, 2010, 6:25 pm

The iPAD upgrade will be the iMAXIPAD.

Just Go

Mike
Cleveland Ohio
2019 K1600b Grand America, Blue Max.
post #17 of 17 Old Jan 29th, 2010, 6:35 pm
Bouncer

-

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in