Returning Troops dying on Motorcycles - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old Feb 6th, 2006, 11:14 am Thread Starter
Bouncer

Returning Troops dying on Motorcycles

http://www.the-dispatch.com/apps/pbc...79&cachetime=5

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'04 Sprint RS Caspian Blue

"I am hoping for an asteroid impact to put all this climate change nonsense to bed."
-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old Feb 6th, 2006, 12:33 pm

Nothing new there Jeff, other than possibly the motorcycle part.

During the vietnam era we had the same issues but mostly with monster hp big block vettes and roadrunners. There was usually a weekly report of someone just back killing themselves on the road, usually after drinking.

I have to agree, these new bikes are pretty exciting but will surely get you killed fast if you don't agree with the law of physics for a fleeting moment.

They should start having these guys/gals skydiving soon as they get back here, its a great adrenaline rush most of the time and safer than motorbiking by a long shot. That way, they can work it down to manageable levels without killing themselves by going "uh oh" after it's too late to fix the physics problem while riding too fast on a bike.

ya'll take care...geo
post #3 of 13 Old Feb 6th, 2006, 1:21 pm Thread Starter
Bouncer

But it was my understanding that the services had a pretty stringent set of rules around motorcycles. My friend who was in the Air Force in the late 80's/early 90's had to take training, in order to be allowed to ride while on active duty. Have things changed?

'04 Sprint RS Caspian Blue

"I am hoping for an asteroid impact to put all this climate change nonsense to bed."
-

post #4 of 13 Old Feb 6th, 2006, 1:50 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Jeff,

It is required to get a decal to drive on base/post. I could not get a decal as a contractor when I got the LT until I took the ERC. It took three weeks to get into the course, it felt like three years! Doesn't matter on experience level - no card - no decal.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

post #5 of 13 Old Feb 6th, 2006, 2:02 pm

They do have stringent rules Jeff...but being a young jarhead myself once I can tell you that...adrenaline rules and it is impossible for me to die

ahhh...to be young and foolish again, it has to be better than being old and foolish!!

Sooooo...tell me again, at what age do I pass the old and foolish test?

regards...geo
post #6 of 13 Old Feb 6th, 2006, 2:16 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by eljeffe
But it was my understanding that the services had a pretty stringent set of rules around motorcycles. My friend who was in the Air Force in the late 80's/early 90's had to take training, in order to be allowed to ride while on active duty. Have things changed?
Jeff,
I'm active duty Navy. A Motorcycle Safety Course is still required to get base stickers. I suspect many of our returning troops are purchasing bikes through the military's overseas purchase program. I did the same thing a couple years ago and you can save big $$. Unfortunately, I'm guessing they are hopping on their new bike without experience and/or a safety course. No current military regs or policy prevents a soldier, airman or sailor from riding a bike off base without the safety course. There are discussions on going to make the safety course mandatory for all sailors who own a bike whether they ride on base or not. One of the penalties discussed would be the loss of medical coverage if injured in a motorcycle accident. As you can guess, this involves legal ramifications and questions as to whether a policy resulting in lost medical coverage is enforcable. I personally support the proposed policy and in the interim do all that I can to influence young sailors working for me to routinely take safety courses and wear appropriate safety gear at all times when riding.
post #7 of 13 Old Feb 6th, 2006, 3:31 pm

Being at the door step of the world's largest Marine Corps base it is a common problem with these boys deploying.. Now that they are back in a shooting war they come back pretty hyped up and nervous about going back..Street fighting door to door is the single most stressful type of combat there is..

When you have dealers like some we have here and all over the US that will sell these boys a bike if they have the money, and they do cause all they have done for the last year is save, they buy those big Busa's or FJR's or a big Zuki they get crippled or killed on a regular basis.. And they just leaver them in town so no base sticker no MSF and no motorcycle indorsement on their license..

Lastly it will take a Congressional act to stop medical care. They get medical care because they are on active duty not depending on what their doing, it simply doesn't work that way..A drunk sailor still gets medical even though he was breaking the law... And you notice I didn't say drunk Marine,we don't get drunk as long as there is one blade of grass to hang onto to keep from falling off the face of the earth................Regards Pete
post #8 of 13 Old Feb 6th, 2006, 5:08 pm
Lifetime Supporter

It's not just bikes. There's been an increase in deaths to soldiers returning from a combat zone from auto accidents as well. From my understanding it's one of the big subjects covered in the redeployment briefings.

Matt
95 Honda Magna (sold)
97 R1100RT (sold)
00 LTc, Canyon Red "Tarkus" (sold)
01 F650GS (wifey's, sold)
01 Ducati S4 Monster "LittleOne"
04 R1150RT (turned to scrap)
99 R1100RT Tundra Green
Kalamazoo, MI
"Worry does not rob tomorrow of it's sorrow. It saps the strength of today."
post #9 of 13 Old Feb 7th, 2006, 5:16 pm

Smile

Yeah, Pete, those young marines back in my day(56-77) were invincible..I did all I could to make them take safety courses for their sake..50-50 results on that issue..
Seems that most of the riders I see on base here in Vegas(Nellis AFB) are diligent and observe the regs..Off base, they younger ones tend to let it hang out a bit..At least the ones I've seen blast by me in uniform do..
By the way, how's the vacancy rate for space A lodging at Lejeune? I plan on passing down that way from WVa to Tampa next Jun/Jul..Doing a trip from Vegas to Knoxville(Hoot) to WVa to Tampa and back to Vegas..
Take care..Semper Fi, Roy
post #10 of 13 Old Feb 7th, 2006, 6:07 pm

As the saying goes... "youth is wasted on the young".
post #11 of 13 Old Feb 7th, 2006, 9:25 pm

Roy,, Couldn't tell you about lodging at the base,, Really depends on the summer time movement of troops that are bringing in their families..........regards Pete Semper Fidelis
post #12 of 13 Old Feb 7th, 2006, 11:31 pm

Thanks, Pete..Thought I'd ask seeing as to how you're right there..Rubber side down and check your 6..Semper Fi
post #13 of 13 Old Feb 8th, 2006, 9:00 am
Lifetime Supporter

Looks like the Liberal Left will start asking for congress to investigate the Discovery Channel and it's American Chopper program as it may be influencing our returning military in such a way as to degenerate their minds.....

-
05' K1200 LT - BMW MOA Member
05 CCR Survivor
- Team-N-Training

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in