Sears...yeah, a rant and very long. - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 43 Old Dec 11th, 2009, 8:29 am Thread Starter
Gold Supporter

Sears...yeah, a rant and very long.

I hope someone here knows how to reach someone at Sears that might actually give a rat's ass and help me?

We have Kenmore's best front loading washing machine ($$$). Not long after we bought it a bearing went out and destroyed the inner and outer baskets (these things have s spin cycle that is about 200mph so when something goes.... and the first service guy told me it is a VERY common problem in this machine). Pain in the ass, but got it fixed. About a year later, same thing. I had to jump through hoops to get the thing fixed back then. Recently it happened again. Fortunately we have the extended service agreement, because the parts alone are over $800. Service guy comes out and confirms the obvious. Orders the parts and sets up a service date to come repair it. I schedule myself off...again. Day rolls around and the service guys are a no show. I call Sears and they try to blame me because I did not call and tell them the parts were here. W.T.F.??? First parts never came here, second no one said it was my responsibility to call them and in the past they service guys brought everything with them. The gal I was speaking with says I need to call when the parts arrive as they are being shipped directly to me. So, I asked the obvious, why are they not here yet and when are they supposed to arrive? She checks...oooops, parts are on back order, call when they arrive and she will be happy to reschedule so I can miss another day of work. Grrrrrrrrr.

Two weeks go by and a box shows up. I call Sears and the gal says, "How many parts did I receive?" so I explain it is one large box and I didn't open it. So, she tells me I have to open it when I get home and call again. I did, and they tell me more parts should arrive soon. Grrrrrrr. More parts arrive, so I open the box and call. They schedule another service date, which was yesterday.

Wednesday night I get an automated call telling me they would be out between 8 & 12. So, now I have taken my seventh day off work, because of this washing machine. 12:15 I call to find out where the service guy is. Customer Service (yeah...right) says she will send the guy a message and have him call me right away. Yeah, sure. 1:20 the guy finally calls and says he is on his way, be there in about ten minutes. 2:00 he finally arrives, walks into my laundry room and says "Crap, this is a two man job (which it has always been in the past), so I am going to have to call this in" and I stand there and listen to a five minute discussion between him and his Supervisor, knowing where it is headed. Service guy finally says "Sorry, you are going to have to reschedule." I was ready to explode, but knew it was not this guys fault, so I calmly explained everything that had happened to him. All he could say was "Call Customer Service and they will reschedule...I am sorry" Grrrrrrr

I called C.S. (which is what it should be called) and got the run around again and was told how happy they would be to reschedule the service for me and if one more asshole from Sears apologizes to me I am going to scream. I asked to speak with a manager or supervisor and would you believe they were all in meetings. They guy then switched me to Customer Solutions (W.T.F.???). This gal listens to the history lesson, which I can't tell how many times I have recited by now, then tells me she is going to call the local service manager and get to the bottom of it and asked me to hold. I tell her I have to leave (hadn't planned on spending the whole day dealing with this crap) so I asked her to please call my cell. Needless to say that was the last I heard from anyone from Sears.

Sorry for the length, but I have been a very loyal customer of Sears, Kenmore and Whirlpool all my life. As a kid that is all my parents owned and that is what every single major appliance in my house is and always has been. I am at the point of "What is Sears going to do to compensate me for all the time off work and to keep my business" and no one I have been able to talk to will say anything except that they will be happy to reschedule it for me and they are sorry. Then everyone I talk to rubs it in by saying "Thank you for choosing Sears" just before they hang up or pass me on to some other useless schmuck.

So, does anyone know who I can call to ream at Sears to get something done? I would like to get some one who cares and wants to help me TODAY!!! Thanks!!!

Jerry
Look in the wolf's eyes and what do you see--A guardian spirit or fierce enemy?
2008 FLHTCU White Pearl

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 43 Old Dec 11th, 2009, 8:44 am

Re: Sears...yeah, a rant and very long.

A 5....not enough cursing...................

D.Kinsey
Santa Fe, Tx.
15 R1200RT
13 Ducati Panigale Tricolore

12 Ducati Diavel Carbon(SOLD)
08 K1200LT (born 12/19/07)(SOLD)

09 Triumph Sprint ST...RED(SOLD)
00 K1200LT Custom Painted(SOLD)
post #3 of 43 Old Dec 11th, 2009, 9:08 am
Lifetime Supporter

If you were in Kansas a call to the Attorney General's Office of Consumer Affairs would be in order. Perhaps Texas has something of this nature. Beyond that, call the local Sears and make sure the store manager is there before you go and bend his ear for a few minutes. On the bright side as I read between the lines it sounds like they've made an upgrade on the parts and this might be the last time it happens once they get it fixed properly.

post #4 of 43 Old Dec 11th, 2009, 9:11 am Thread Starter
Gold Supporter

Where did you see they upgraded the parts? Or should I make David happy and say the F***in parts?

Jerry
2008 FLHTCU White Pearl

post #5 of 43 Old Dec 11th, 2009, 9:40 am

We also have a Sears Front Loader and matching dryer. I really like them but I have also had to have parts replaced.
Every time you talk to someone, ask their name and employee ID number and write it down. Confirm who they are and which office. It really scares them and when I get to talk to the seventeenth person, I tell them I made my first call on this date and spoke with so-n-so and second call.... Then ask for his name and employee ID.

Good luck on that Jerry. I do like my washer and will probably buy another one when this one goes but you gotta jump through a lot of hoops.

"BONES" <///><

2018 R1200RT
2002 K1200LTC--- Belle

"My wife and I have an understanding. I won't try to run her life and I won't try to run mine."
post #6 of 43 Old Dec 11th, 2009, 10:04 am
Lifetime Supporter

Since they shipped you two containers of parts this time and inquired about the number received I suspect there may have been an upgrade. They probably are having thousands of other failures just like yours and want to avoid a class action suit. If you want to tell for certain log on to Sears parts and look in the schematic diagrams using your model number. It should indicate if the parts have been superseded. The service tech should know this as well if you ask him. I think what you describe is the hub assembly or bearing in the center of the clothes basket base. Then again I've never had a Kenmore front loader apart. I had a similar issue with an Amana and on the third failure I got the new and improved seal kit. No problems since. Hopefully you'll have the same luck. On the other hand, maybe they're using BMW final drive bearings in there. (Sorry, couldn't help myself) I feel your pain, though. My '08 Charger just made its fifth trip to the dealer for what started as a leak in the AC unit last summer. Good service work is hard to find sometimes.

post #7 of 43 Old Dec 11th, 2009, 10:09 am

Well...Well...Well all I can say is it is the Holiday Season...and what will go wrong will go wrong... and usulay does...bad time of the year to stop drinking...ever notice that the
liquer stores have big adds this time of year.

Sorry Jerry

We have Bosch washer and Whirlpool dryer from Lowes. The water input mixer went out right after the item went out ot W. $15 part , put it in myself. Should we go back to the early 1900's when the wives did the wash in tubs on the back porch, and the men smoked pipes and watched???

Jim

Loansumrider: Jim
01 LT Fast Pacific Blue ... " The Goose "

? when to ASUME, and HOW MUCH should you ASUME, safely ?
post #8 of 43 Old Dec 11th, 2009, 10:20 am
Lifetime Supporter

Jerry,
I worked for Sears on a management training program as a first job out of college. Hated retail and after five years (and vested profit sharing) split the sheets.

Call-
Sears Holdings Corporation
3333 Beverly Road
Hoffman Estates, IL 60179
(847) 286-2500

and ask who is the National Merchandise Manager for the Home Appliance line (Washers & Dryers) and then send him/her a letter outlining your issue and tell him that you want the units replaced or a full refund. Don't threaten any other action but reference their "Satisfaction Guaranteed" policy

Also get the name of the local manager of the Sears Store where you purchased the items and copy him/her on the correspondence.

Since this is now a corporate complaint, there is a policy that they have to respond "to your satisfaction" within a certain reasonable time period.

You might also want to copy in:
Chairman Edward S. (Eddie) Lampert
Interim CEO and President W. Bruce Johnson

I filed a complaint this way about 10 years ago when new carpet started to fade significantly. There were three visits but they ripped it all up and replaced it. The retail value was over $6K.

Keep us posted!

pm
--
Life is too short to do anything
other than that about which you
are absolutely passionate . . .
Ride till you can't!

"Der Weg ist das Ziel"
2005 Pyrenees of France & Spain
2006 Tuscany

2011 South Africa

2014 The Dolomites of Italy, Alps of Switzerland & Austria and returning to Milan via the "Gold Coast" of the French Riveria.

2016 Northern & Central Spain & Portugal

2018 Central & Eastern Europe: Slovenia, Austria, Poland,Hungary, Czech Republic & Slovakia!

2019 Maritime Provinces of Canada & New England 3,500 miles

'18 R1200RTW
'00 K1200LTC (Dealer is taking on consignment!)
'90 K75-Sold to a new BMW owner (2016)
'62 R 50/2 (Rode hard and put away wet)-Sold in '81
'63 Vespa 150 (1st and only dirt bike!)
Sold in '67

Last edited by PMitchell; Dec 11th, 2009 at 10:52 am.
post #9 of 43 Old Dec 11th, 2009, 10:51 am
Old Dawg

This summer we bought a Kenmore Elite fridge. It took 7 deliveries to get one that wasn't defective and overall it was a terrible experience. The store manager promised to call with delivery times and promised to make billing adjustments on numerous occasions but never called or made those adjustments. I had to call customer service to get the delivery times AND I had to go to the store and hunt him down to get the adjustments. I will never buy anything at Sears again.

Scott
Sacramento CA
HDDC Posse

''03 Ducati ST4S with ABS - '12 KTM 500EXC - '19 BMW GS/A
(Jessica Focker's) '15 BMW S1000RR - '17 KTM 350EXC-F - '09 Yamaha XT250

Some of the most asinine things people do are typically preceded by the two words "Watch this."
post #10 of 43 Old Dec 11th, 2009, 12:12 pm
Lifetime Supporter

You have the parts. Can you say "Washing Machine Party". There must be enough LT'ers within shouting distance to supervise and fix it. May void your warranty but we've seen how good that is. At this point, maybe after it's fixed, Sears wouldn't know they didn't fix it.

Motor On ,/'

post #11 of 43 Old Dec 11th, 2009, 12:45 pm

Hmmmm.....Bearing failures.

did the same guy design the Kenmore washing machine and the LT final drive?

2000 K1200LT - 94,000 mi. (49,000 mine since July 4th weekend, 2009)
BMW MOA 151654
post #12 of 43 Old Dec 11th, 2009, 12:54 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMitchell
Jerry,
I worked for Sears on a management training program as a first job out of college. Hated retail and after five years (and vested profit sharing) split the sheets.

Call-
Sears Holdings Corporation
3333 Beverly Road
Hoffman Estates, IL 60179
(847) 286-2500

and ask who is the National Merchandise Manager for the Home Appliance line (Washers & Dryers) and then send him/her a letter outlining your issue and tell him that you want the units replaced or a full refund. Don't threaten any other action but reference their "Satisfaction Guaranteed" policy

Also get the name of the local manager of the Sears Store where you purchased the items and copy him/her on the correspondence.

Since this is now a corporate complaint, there is a policy that they have to respond "to your satisfaction" within a certain reasonable time period.

You might also want to copy in:
Chairman Edward S. (Eddie) Lampert
Interim CEO and President W. Bruce Johnson

I filed a complaint this way about 10 years ago when new carpet started to fade significantly. There were three visits but they ripped it all up and replaced it. The retail value was over $6K.

Keep us posted!
+1 on this recommendation. This has been my strategy in any situation where I've attempted to work with Customer Service (??) and received the run-around. I pull the company up in my E-Trade account, get the name and mailing address of the CEO and send a personal letter. I detail the issues with his/her companies product, the steps I've taken to resolve it and the current status. I've yet to get a thoughtful response (usually an administrative assistant) and an immediate satisfactory resolution to the problem. I also follow with a thank you letter.

Life happens...you control your reaction.

2017 KTM 350 EXC-F (single track monster)
2018 Honda CRF250L Rally (fun on the fire roads)
2015 R1200 RT (holy cow…what a bike)
2007 K1200 LT (sold)
2005 DR 650 (sold)
2002 Harley Ultra (sold)
1999 Harley Road King (sold)
1996 K1100 LT (sold)
1990 Honda Shadow (sold)
1978-1993 Raising Kids; Paying Mortgages
1975 Honda CB550 (sold but wish I still had)
Homemade Motor Bike (mounted a 3.5 HP Briggs & Stratton on my bicycle at age 12)
post #13 of 43 Old Dec 11th, 2009, 1:30 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Not making light of your situation and believe me, after reading your saga and others on this thread, I will defiantly consider other products than Sears when it is time to replace our 18 year old major appliances, which unfortunately will be soon. Refrigerator, Microwave, Stove, dishwasher, washer and dryer.

When you ask someone why they buy tools at Sears, the common response is their lifetime satisfaction warranty. When you then ask if they have ever returned a tool, many will say no! I've returned a few with no problem, but will seriously think twice before we buy major appliance there.

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)
post #14 of 43 Old Dec 11th, 2009, 3:16 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandiver
Not making light of your situation and believe me, after reading your saga and others on this thread, I will defiantly consider other products than Sears when it is time to replace our 18 year old major appliances, which unfortunately will be soon. Refrigerator, Microwave, Stove, dishwasher, washer and dryer.

When you ask someone why they buy tools at Sears, the common response is their lifetime satisfaction warranty. When you then ask if they have ever returned a tool, many will say no! I've returned a few with no problem, but will seriously think twice before we buy major appliance there.
Throwing the baby out with the bath water?
Sears doesn't make a thing but has specs or has products private labeled for them and their merchandising might. I have a HD washer & dryer combo that is now 8 years old which had one minor problem last year. I paid the $60 service visit charge and $20 for the part. The tech told me that Whirlpool made that model of washer for them.

Check listings in Consumers Reports for any major appliance.

Remember Goldstar? Now LG (Lucky GoldStar-Korea) that had many performance issues and changed their name as well as upgrading their Q.C.

As with any purchase, Caveat Emptor . . . Let the Buyer Beware!

pm
--
Ride till you can't!

"Der Weg ist das Ziel"
2006 Tuscany

2011 South Africa

2014 The Dolomites of Italy, Alps of Switzerland & Austria and returning to Milan via the "Gold Coast" of the French Riveria.

2018 Central & Eastern Europe: Slovenia, Austria, Poland,Hungary, Czech Republic & Slovakia!

'18 R1200RTW
Sold in '67

post #15 of 43 Old Dec 11th, 2009, 4:40 pm Thread Starter
Gold Supporter

I guess you just have to know whose desk to jump on, yell and scream.

After I submitted this thread I submitted a VERY detailed email to Sears Corp. and about twenty minutes later I got a phone call from a too chipper young lady who said she needed to tell me the call was being recorded for training and quality purposes. Hehehe...I said, great, at least something is done for quality purposes. at which point she apologized. I lit into her and made it VERY clear I did not want to hear another apology, scripted or otherwise or I was going to hang up on her. Then she tells me she heard about the service problems (not from my email mind you) and would be happy to assist me with rescheduling. Ahhhhhhh!!!!! She got an earful. At the end I got a promise to have her manager call me followed by an apology, so I hung up on her.

A few minutes later I get an email reply to the one I mentioned from Sears. They apologized and said they would have someone call me within 48 hours, to reschedule the service. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

So, I got in the car, drove to the Sears store and spoke with the salesman who has sold me almost every major appliance in my house over the last ten years. He turned me over to his manager, because he says Sears has taken everything away from the stores, so that Customer Service handles all problems now. The appliance manager made a call and got stonewalled. He reluctantly escorted me up to the General Manger's office to speak to him and I'm not sure where he got the idea to go up there .

Now this is where you kind of have to know me to understand what happened next and if you know me, you know this is no B.S. When we walked into his office, the pompous ass was sitting looking at me like "How much of my time is this going to waste" so I immediately walked over to his desk and started moving things. The look of shock was a riot. He stammered and stuttered after a couple of seconds, then finally blurted out, "What are you doing to my desk?" and I just looked at him and said, "I am fixing to jump on your desk and start yelling and screaming, so I want to make sure I have a place to land" He sat back and just started laughing, asked me to have a seat and he would see what he could do to help me. Long story short...okay so it is too late for that, anyway, he spent a great deal of time on the phone with someone and then passed the phone to me. They are giving me a certificate worth the purchase price of my washer tomorrow. They will call and give me an number. I can go to any Sears, pick out any washer up to that amount (if it cost more I am responsible) and the delivery, take away, and install is included. After I hung up the GM said that he would give me a matching dryer for 50% off at the same time and the delivery & set up would also be free.

We shook hands, but he wouldn't let me fix his desk and the appliance manager took me downstairs to show me washers. That is when he told me they are getting out of Kenmore Washers. Sears isn't selling Kenmore washers!!! They are selling LG and Samsung now. I looked them up on C.R. and LG, Samsung and Maytag all rank the highest and Kenmore is way down at the bottom. When I asked why they were not selling Kenmore washers and dryers, can you guess his response? Yep, too many problems. So, the wife gets to go washer shopping tomorrow and my blood pressure can spend a couple of days dropping back into the green.

Bones, who do you think you are talking to? I ALWAYS get the name of who I am talking to. This sure as hell isn't my first rodeo with C.S.

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I think I find a back door way to get it taken care of.

Jerry
2008 FLHTCU White Pearl

post #16 of 43 Old Dec 11th, 2009, 4:46 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Jerry, last year we bought a set of Samsung w/d from Sears. Couldn't be happier.
Quiet and dependable.

dan
post #17 of 43 Old Dec 11th, 2009, 5:15 pm

+1 on Samsung. My daughter bought the top of the line front loader at least 5 years ago. With three kids, motorcycles, ATV's, pool, and a boat you can imagine the amount of laundry. It seems to be running all the time. Very quite and they never had a problem.

Wolfgang

K1200LT 1999 Champaign SOLD
R1100RS 1994 Teal SOLD
R1150RT 2003 Blue (Sold)
R1100RT 1997 Blue

Pest, Budapest Hungary

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness."
Mark Twain

post #18 of 43 Old Dec 11th, 2009, 5:32 pm

It is surprising that Korea has become the new Japan as far as quality improvement goes. LG and Samsung have become relatively high quality companies for the most part. Some of their cars are quite nice too. I remember the old Goldstar, some real junk. LG however is now making some nice goods.

My niece was showing me their fancy new home, and had LG washer and drier that had a German sounding model name so she was proud to have German appliances. When I told her LG was Korean, I thought she was going to faint! I then told her that they were very good appliances, so she felt a little better.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.
post #19 of 43 Old Dec 11th, 2009, 6:01 pm

Jerry:

+1 on the LG. we got ours at Lowe's and love them. We have found, however, that getting the mildew out of the washer is a real trick, even the "magic bleach clean cycle" doesn't really work. So - anybody have any ideas on getting these beasts clean on the inside?

Jerry - I will PM you later with the name of a great, honest & ethical (yep, you heard me right) independent appliance repair guy.

Good luck on the washer hunt....

-Brian

Brian Vandivere
2008 RT

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have."
-Thomas Jefferson

post #20 of 43 Old Dec 11th, 2009, 7:08 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Garage

A few years back, I worked for a company that was contracted to deliver all their brown box items (Washer, dryer, riding lawnmowers, TV’s etc.) We of coarse sub-contracted the work out to others, but “managed” the process. Something everyone does now. From Best-buy to Conn’s. Sears had/has a standard we must maintain. I.e.- “please rate my service a 10” I think 5 is the highest now. Our incentive, thus my incentive was tied to this scoring system. Needless to say it was in my best interest to ensure that the delivery went smooth and the customer (You) were taken care of. I can not recall the number of times that I would argue for a customer because they were either sending the wrong merchandise, damaged merchandise or canceling the delivery, without calling the customer, because the merchandise did not arrive. Their supply chain as most is set up for expedited service. Think “Just-in-time”. Although we were at a Sears warehouse, they had a very limited stock of items. Only the “Fast” movers were kept on-site. The remainder was trucked from a central warehouse, in my case Ontario, Ca. The truck with the customer’s product did not arrive until the day of the delivery. Leaving very little time to check for blemishes or damages. I trained my delivery teams to offer up CS and their willingness to keep the product in the house by giving gift cards out as a stopgap measure. Anything above the traditional $100 would require extra efforts, but none that I am aware could be compensated for the time lost when a delivery went astray. Hoffman estates has begun to micro manage the operations of the stores and the call centers. They have a very limited ability to take care of the customer any more. It’s fallen back to the almighty dollar and Eddie’s ability to turn a profit. Good for him, but bad for the loyal sears shopper. Kenmore made by whirlpool, I believe is getting out of the appliance business, hence the change in brands.
While I cannot speak directly for service, the model is the same, thus the service and integrity must be. After working behind the scenes and seeing how supply chain, customer service and the corporate cogs work, I will not be purchasing appliances from Sears. Unless, I know I can work it in my favor. Good to see the little man got his due and congrats on the new washer and dryer!

If you still need contacts I still have email addresses for most of the mukity mucks @ Hoffman estates. You could blanket them with your feelings of hostilities!!!!

Hoss
'Stupidity has a knack of getting its way.' --Albert Camus
'05- K1200LT - Gretchen
R.I.P. - '00- K1200LTE- "Barbara" - Retired at 168K 9/2011
MOA, IBA, EXR & RCB and TMI
post #21 of 43 Old Dec 11th, 2009, 7:36 pm

I feel your pain. I have a Craftsman yard tractor with a service agreement. Last Spring called with a power and back fire issue. Not a problem I was told. Set an appointment and off we went. Appointment time came and went so I called. Yup, was told they were running behind and tech would call. He did and said he'd be there in an hour. He was, looked at tractor and said he had to order parts and to call when they arrived at my house. They did, I called they scheduled. When the time for the tech came and went, I called they said he was delayed but they'd have him call. He did and showed up an hour later. They sent the wrong parts. he reordered, told me to call when they arrived. I did, they set appointment, tech arrived late. Parts were faulty. I volunteered to go to Sears part store and pick up the correct parts. Tech said ok. I said I'd be back in one hour. I left, I purchased parts, I returned in one hour, tech had left and left a note that he had to get home and to call and make a new appointment. I did, they did and tech showed up on time, fixed the problem and left within one hour.
Great service!
post #22 of 43 Old Dec 11th, 2009, 7:49 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Glad it all worked out (sort of, kind of) Jerry, but you ought to press for reimbursement for 7 days off work.

As has already been suggested, I take scrupulous notes - on the laptop, where I can pretty much type what is said, word for word - including the date, time, name, and employee # or ID of each person I speak with. I am still at a loss to understand why someone always asks "who told you that?" or "who did you talk to?" when you told them what you were told by Customer (dis)Service. I love rolling out all the particulars of the conversation in question. Sometimes it even works.

This week I canceled a contract with a national propane service company. I talked with 5 different people in sales, customer service, etc., and got a different answer from each person as to what part of a new installation was my responsiblity and which part was theirs, and on policy/install questions. The final straw was when the propane delivery truck showed up... but they had not installed a tank yet! I don't understand how a company that does something every day can be so incompetent.

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2009 BMW K1200LT - 60k miles
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)
2005 BMW K1200LT - "Gray Ghost", traded at 120k miles
2005 Honda Shadow 650 (sold)
AMA, IBA, BMW MOA. CCRs: Braselton 2006, Osage Beach 2007, Duluth 2012

[/URL]
post #23 of 43 Old Dec 11th, 2009, 8:07 pm Thread Starter
Gold Supporter

Howard, I do the same thing on my computer while I am talking to anyone. Detailed notes about who, what, when, where and most important sometimes is WHY. I had all that in my iPod when I went in today (loaded for bear). I think the GM at the store was thinking about my days off when he made me the offer on the dryer. It won't cost him anything, but it saves me around $600 plus delivery and install, so I am happy.

Am going to let the wife decide on what washer SHE wants, considering the only time she lets me near it is to toss something SHE has washed into the dryer.

Brian, the trick to the front load washers is to wipe down that rubber sleeve just inside the door both the side you see and roll it back and get the underside, then leave the door open a few hours. Also every two weeks my wife runs a mixture of bleach and automatic dishwasher detergent through the sanitary cycle and that keeps it super clean. The first service tech that came to the house told us about that and I can get the recipe from my wife if you want it or if anyone else needs it.

Jerry
2008 FLHTCU White Pearl

post #24 of 43 Old Dec 11th, 2009, 8:43 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Jerry,
Having taken your course at CCR I know how intimidating you could be, I wish I was a fly, spider on the wall ,no not an insect but on the other end of a CCTV circuit when you started moving things on his desk. That would have been a YouTube classic!!!!!

Basic Customer Service
Acknowledge the pain
Ask what can be done to satisfy your need
Make it happen (within reason)

Sounds like it finally happened.

pm
--
Ride till you can't!

"Der Weg ist das Ziel"
2006 Tuscany

2011 South Africa

'18 R1200RTW
Sold in '67

post #25 of 43 Old Dec 11th, 2009, 9:12 pm

Just as an FYI, Kenmore isn't made by Sears. To see who actually made your Kenmore appliance check here. http://www.appliance411.com/purchase/sears.shtml
Also on that site you can see who makes ALL appliances, so you'll know who to call and bitch at. Or do wat I did and contact the BBB in their corporate headquarters state (they HATE that)
post #26 of 43 Old Dec 11th, 2009, 11:34 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Jerry, Jerry, Jerry...
Ya gotta use DIFFERENT tecniques when exhibiting your anger management finesse.

As an service rep for a rather large corporation, I was often challenged by my managers about my support of my CUSTOMERS. Eventually they all but killed off "customer service" under the premise of "profit" return to our investors.

Looking forward to talking with ya about all this...

Bottom line, bought my Samsung FLders at Conn's. They arrived all beat up... I told management... they said.."you shouldn't have allowed them to leave the product"...

Quickly I explained the error... that this was the second mistake Conns had made... first was delivering faulty product.. second was accusing me of being part of the problem.

Within a week I had two new machines delivered.. The junk was removed.

I've been back to Conns... bought a Freezer... they are now replacing it after the 4th service call and faulty "engineering upgrades"... actually I was given a credit and am getting a different model.

There is nothing like facing a customer...
post #27 of 43 Old Dec 12th, 2009, 1:03 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydawg
This summer we bought a Kenmore Elite fridge. It took 7 deliveries to get one that wasn't defective and overall it was a terrible experience. The store manager promised to call with delivery times and promised to make billing adjustments on numerous occasions but never called or made those adjustments. I had to call customer service to get the delivery times AND I had to go to the store and hunt him down to get the adjustments. I will never buy anything at Sears again.
I've always found Kenmore to overpriced just for the name.

But so far as delivery problems, I can give 2 good experinces with one business; Lowe's.

On the first one, we had bought a washer and dryer and the delivery time we were given was between 4 and 6. The crew called around 3 and said they were running late and would be there at about 6. At 5 they called and said it looked more like 7 and asked if we still wanted delivery that day or first thing in the morning. We chose that night. A few calls were made and they didn't show up until 9 (but always called). Installation was included even though I can do it myself. It was nearly 10 when they left the house. They were friendly and apologetic.

The second was a stove delivery. They took the old one out to the truck and brought the new one in. When they unpackaged it they noticed it didn't match the invoice and it was obvious by the appearance too. They called the store and found our's was still there with our name on it (even though the one they delivered had our name on it). They offered to hook up the wrong delivery and bring the right one in the morning. Their supervisor said it was "you can cook on something". The next morning the same 2 guys showed up with the right stove and a $75.00 gift card for the inconvenience.

To me it's even worth paying a little more if you get good customer service along with it.

Chris Ehlbeck
2002 BMW K1200LTE Toscana Green Retired with 85,391 miles
2014 BMW R1200RT Quartz Blue Metallic

post #28 of 43 Old Dec 12th, 2009, 2:33 pm

Thought I would avoid the "Kenmore Kurse" in our new home by buying a Jenn Air stove & cook top. WRONG. With 2 weeks of use, & a total of 3 times using the cooktop, & 1 time using the oven, both gas, there appeared a crack in the ceramic cooktop, about 6 in. long between two of the burners, When I called Jenn Air, I was told that this was a heat crack, that they would schedule a tech to take a look at it, & to not use the cooktop, as it could suffer a catastrophic failure, causing whatever was on the burner to spill & leading to major burns. This was in the first week of September of this year. They have sent 4 new cooktops, & every one has been improperly packed, leading to them be damaged in transit. The techs. have all showed up on time. look at the replacement part, call to have a new one sent out, & reschedule the service call. The stove cost almost $2500 new, & the cooktop is almost $500 for the part, plus the 4 service calls. All this is under the warranty. The reason I chose Jenn Air was because of the quality of the product. Oh by the way, Jenn Air is now owned by..... SEARS. The 4th part arrived last night, & it is damaged as well. Going to call the company I bought it & all the new appliances & the gas fireplace from & see what they will do for me. I spent over $15K there, & my contractor told me if I could not get satisfaction from them, he would call & lean on them. His customers spend over $200K a year there on his say so.
post #29 of 43 Old Dec 12th, 2009, 3:28 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GUNTER1100
Thought I would avoid the "Kenmore Kurse" in our new home by buying a Jenn Air stove & cook top. WRONG. With 2 weeks of use, & a total of 3 times using the cooktop, & 1 time using the oven, both gas, there appeared a crack in the ceramic cooktop, about 6 in. long between two of the burners, When I called Jenn Air, I was told that this was a heat crack, that they would schedule a tech to take a look at it, & to not use the cooktop, as it could suffer a catastrophic failure, causing whatever was on the burner to spill & leading to major burns. This was in the first week of September of this year. They have sent 4 new cooktops, & every one has been improperly packed, leading to them be damaged in transit. The techs. have all showed up on time. look at the replacement part, call to have a new one sent out, & reschedule the service call. The stove cost almost $2500 new, & the cooktop is almost $500 for the part, plus the 4 service calls. All this is under the warranty. The reason I chose Jenn Air was because of the quality of the product. Oh by the way, Jenn Air is now owned by..... SEARS. The 4th part arrived last night, & it is damaged as well. Going to call the company I bought it & all the new appliances & the gas fireplace from & see what they will do for me. I spent over $15K there, & my contractor told me if I could not get satisfaction from them, he would call & lean on them. His customers spend over $200K a year there on his say so.
Slight correction . . .

The following is from a commercial subscription service called Hoover On-line a Dunn & Bradstreet Co.

Jenn Air is currently owned by Whirlpool . . .
"Maytag could wash, cook, and clean, and it didn't ask you where you were all night. The company was the #3 US manufacturer of home appliances, after Whirlpool and GE Consumer Products. It sold washers, dryers, dishwashers, refrigerators, and cooking appliances under brand names Admiral, Amana, Jenn-Air, Magic Chef, and Maytag. The company also made Hoover vacuums, Jade commercial ranges, and Dixie-Narco beverage vending machines (Coca-Cola and PepsiCo were top customers). The company sold its products through national retailers (Home Depot accounted for about 15% of sales and Sears about 10%), its own retail stores, independent dealers, and distributors."

"In addition to Whirlpool, the company sells its products under a bevy of brand names including KitchenAid, Bauknecht, Roper, Maytag, and Magic Chef. Whirlpool peddles its appliances in North America, Europe, Latin America, Africa, the Middle East, and Asia. Competition in the home appliances market has heated up in recent years, with Bosch Siemens, LG, Samsung, and Haier commanding equal attention. "

"The combination of Sears and Kmart was a response to the pounding both companies endured at the hands of Wal-Mart and other discount and mass merchandisers. Sears' previous responses include pushing its private brands of apparel, tools, and appliances (Crossroads, Craftsman, Kenmore, respectively) and cutting prices. Sears' status as the nation's largest seller of home appliances has been under siege from big-box chains, including Best Buy, Home Depot and Lowe's, for years. (Indeed, its share of the appliance market has fallen from about 40% in 2000 to about 31% in 2009.) Its latest effort to defend its appliance business, which accounts for about 15% of Sears Holdings' total revenue, is an aggressive move into the market for high-end kitchens. To that end, it has signed a deal to become the only national retail chain to carry Whirlpool's Jenn-Air appliance brand. In November 2009, Sears stores began carrying a new line of Jenn-Air luxury cooktops, ovens, dishwashers and built-in refrigerators. Beginning 2010 Jenn-Air brand appliances will no longer be sold in Home Depot and Lowe's stores. Sears is hoping that shoppers who have abandoned its stores for those of its big-box rivals will be lured back."

pm
--
Ride till you can't!

"Der Weg ist das Ziel"
2006 Tuscany

2011 South Africa

'18 R1200RTW
Sold in '67

Last edited by PMitchell; Dec 12th, 2009 at 4:20 pm.
post #30 of 43 Old Dec 12th, 2009, 6:04 pm
Lifetime Supporter

That's as close to a happy ending as you'll ever see.
Note to self:

Do not buy a used Kenmore washer in Magnolia, TX, particularly in the near future...........

post #31 of 43 Old Dec 13th, 2009, 5:13 am

Haven't set foot in a Sears store for many years now for pretty much the same reason, poor service and a who cares attitude of too many folks.

A number of years ago, wife ended up calling the CEO of Sears over an issue with a cook top. Got lucky and spoke directly to him. We had the cook top repaired the very next day. Point is that a customer should not have to hop through that may hoops to get customer service (warranty work).

Exception is tools. Most Sears stores do a have a good selection of fairly good tools at a fair cost with a good warranty they usually honor. I make my living with tools and won't use poor quality tools for a number of reasons. Having said that, Sears, look out, Northern Tools is gaining on you for hand tools in quality, Proto, MAC, Snap On are Wright are way ahead.

Wife got a new washer and clothes dryer a few months ago, Sears was not considered. Got Bosch, pretty impressed with the quality and features. The vendor delivered as promised and did a good job. Hope we don't use the warranty, if we do and it turns out bad, you can be sure that I'll have something to say.

By the way, Kitchen Aid make a real pretty dishwasher that is good for rinsing dishes and drying them but doesn't clean worth a shit. They've been out and looked at it 3 times and every time they tell us its working like its supposed to but unless Sandi cleans dishes before she puts them inthe dishwasher, they don't come out clean. No more Kitchen Aid stuff, ever again.

B D R

Last edited by gunny; Dec 13th, 2009 at 5:20 am.
post #32 of 43 Old Dec 13th, 2009, 6:02 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunny
------------------------------------------------
Wife got a new washer and clothes dryer a few months ago, Sears was not considered. Got Bosch, pretty impressed with the quality and features. ----------------------------------- No more Kitchen Aid stuff, ever again.
Too bad you did not get a Bosch dishwasher also. I needed a new dishwasher when we lived in San Diego, got a new Bosch at a good price (at the large Sears outlet of all places), not knowing anything about them. Took it home, hooked it up, and ran a cycle to make sure it was clean. Told the wife that something was wrong with it, it would not start the cycle. Opened the door and got splashed with hot water! It was running. Loaded it up with dishes, started it again, and could not tell it was running. You practically have to put your ear on the door to hear it. Bosch makes probably the quietest dishwashers on the planet! The higher priced ones have a red LED on the bottom of the door that shines a red spot on the floor under it so you can tell when it is running. They clean very good too. I got a middle of the line one, have heard that the higher priced models are even quieter.

The home we bought here in Tennessee already had all top of the line Kenmore appliances, was not real happy about that as I have had problems with Kenmore in the past. Don't like GE either. I would love to replace the dishwasher with a Bosch one day, the Kenmore is noisy.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.
post #33 of 43 Old Dec 13th, 2009, 8:22 am
Lifetime Supporter

About two years ago I got a Kitchen Aid all stainless dishwasher and it's the best dishwasher I've ever owned. Man, I put dishes with everything but bones on them in there and they come out spotless. One tilt over the trash can and straight into the dishwasher. Making sure the filtering screens are in place with no gaps where the food can bypass is the big thing in any dishwasher. My older (and cheaper) Kenmores had plastic screens that warped from the heat and then didn't filter properly.

post #34 of 43 Old Dec 13th, 2009, 9:36 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by dshealey
Don't like GE either. I would love to replace the dishwasher with a Bosch one day, the Kenmore is noisy.
Don't like GE??? I bought one of their higher end dishwashers after the freighttrain in the kitchen quit (Kenmore D/W) Got it home and set it up and like you. ran it through a cycle to ensure all was OK...it wasn't. It over flowed all over the place. Opening the door wouldn't shut it off either. I had to shut the water to it off. got it emptied and tried again with the same result. Called GE and explained that was brand new, just out of the box and they said it would be 2 weeks until they could come look at it. I told them that if they wanted to look at it they could stop in at my local Home Depot where I was returning it to. I also informed them that I would never again buy anything GE made.
Nothing like crappy C/S to lose you customers.
post #35 of 43 Old Dec 13th, 2009, 10:59 am

[SIZE=4]Cusomer Service is what is killing the products we buy.. well quality plays into it as well.
Bought a Fisher and Paykel W/D combo... These are made differently as it is just plain weird in comparison to the W/D I have bought in the past. Washer gone south twice and the last time they worked on it- they damaged the sheetmetal. It wouldnt be so bad cept the sheetmetal is a part of the working setup of the washer. F&P wont honor the damage, never returned the calls, and when the warranty guys DID come out for the one time- they dissed it as an owner damaged item... they wanted 700 large to fix it...

bought the parts for 100, and its fixed. I can fix that and once bitten twice shy....

Don't be afraid to say what you feel, as those that matter DOnt mind and those that mind Dont matter.
Dr.Suess-
-

1980 YAMAHA XJ650 MAXIM (RIP)
1982 YAMAHA 750 VIRAGO (SHES GONE)
1982 SUZUKI GS1000 (GONE)
2001 BMW K1200LT
2004 BMW R 1150 RT Sold.....
2007 BMW R 1200 GS
1986 BMW K100RT WITH A FLEXIT SIDECAR

1985 BMW K100 RT ( parts bike, but its too nice to do that, so it runs)
post #36 of 43 Old Dec 13th, 2009, 8:19 pm Thread Starter
Gold Supporter

Can you believe that Sears CS has called both yesterday and today, trying to reschedule the tech to come out and fix the old washer.

Then to top it off, I called them today, because I was supposed to have heard something yesterday about the new washer certificate. I was told they only work M-F and who ever told me they would call on Saturday must have been mistaken, besides it takes two days.

One hand doesn't know what the other is doing and the one hand doesn't know what it is doing on it's own. Why am I getting the distinct feeling this ordeal is far from over?

Jerry
2008 FLHTCU White Pearl

post #37 of 43 Old Dec 14th, 2009, 1:29 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonewuff
Can you believe that Sears CS has called both yesterday and today, trying to reschedule the tech to come out and fix the old washer.

Then to top it off, I called them today, because I was supposed to have heard something yesterday about the new washer certificate. I was told they only work M-F and who ever told me they would call on Saturday must have been mistaken, besides it takes two days.

One hand doesn't know what the other is doing and the one hand doesn't know what it is doing on it's own. Why am I getting the distinct feeling this ordeal is far from over?

Hell........not much going on in this country...........I still want to see you do the 'Big Shoe Dance' on the big dogs desk.................
post #38 of 43 Old Dec 14th, 2009, 8:25 am Thread Starter
Gold Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palerider
Hell........not much going on in this country...........I still want to see you do the 'Big Shoe Dance' on the big dogs desk.................
Trust me...if things head south on all this, the GM WILL see me again

Jerry
2008 FLHTCU White Pearl

post #39 of 43 Old Dec 14th, 2009, 1:24 pm Thread Starter
Gold Supporter

Well, I am pleasantly shocked. Sears just called and they are giving us 100% of our purchase price towards a new washer and throwing in the extended warranty.

So, now I can start the frustration all over again, but at least this one is over.

Jerry
2008 FLHTCU White Pearl

post #40 of 43 Old Dec 14th, 2009, 5:04 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Well, I am pleasantly shocked. Sears just called and they are giving us 100% of our purchase price towards a new washer and throwing in the extended warranty.

So, now I can start the frustration all over again, but at least this one is over.

Merry Christmas!

pm
--
Ride till you can't!

"Der Weg ist das Ziel"
2006 Tuscany

2011 South Africa

'18 R1200RTW
Sold in '67

post #41 of 43 Old Dec 14th, 2009, 8:22 pm Thread Starter
Gold Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMitchell

Merry Christmas!
No kidding

Jerry
2008 FLHTCU White Pearl

post #42 of 43 Old Dec 14th, 2009, 10:07 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Well, I am pleasantly shocked. Sears just called and they are giving us 100% of our purchase price towards a new washer and throwing in the extended warranty...
I have to ask: do you have to buy Sears products with this offer?

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2009 BMW K1200LT - 60k miles
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)
2005 BMW K1200LT - "Gray Ghost", traded at 120k miles
2005 Honda Shadow 650 (sold)
AMA, IBA, BMW MOA. CCRs: Braselton 2006, Osage Beach 2007, Duluth 2012

[/URL]
post #43 of 43 Old Dec 15th, 2009, 8:25 am Thread Starter
Gold Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hschisler
I have to ask: do you have to buy Sears products with this offer?
Yep. I can shop at any Sears store and it is only good towards a washing machine, but it can be of any brand. If the price is over the about of the voucher I am responsible but if it is less I do not get any refund. They delivery, set up and taking away the old machine is included as is the extended warranty.

Wife wants the Samsung washer. C.R. puts it at the top of their list and ranks if four points higher than the closest competitors machine. Right now it is on sale for $1321.29 so we are only responsible for the $122.30 and taxes on the difference, for a VERY superior machine. The GM of the store is giving us the matching dryer for 50% off, so the wife is happy and I am satisfied...until the next event.

Jerry
2008 FLHTCU White Pearl

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in