Mung on my windshield - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old Dec 4th, 2009, 5:46 pm Thread Starter

Mung on my windshield

Supposedly that's what the Germans call it ...you know - the streaky stuff on the inside of your car's windshield you can't get rid of... I've been told it's due to plasticizers inside the car. I've tried 100% cotton, microfiber cloths, newspaper, lint free paper towels, you name it. All kinds of window cleaning solutions. It wins every time.

Someone MUST know a way to get rid of it - it's driving me nucking futs!

I will be eternally grateful to whomever knows the solution!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Like Butt-ahh!"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old Dec 4th, 2009, 6:03 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Re: Mung on my windshield

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonKMiller
Supposedly that's what the Germans call it ...you know - the streaky stuff on the inside of your car's windshield you can't get rid of... I've been told it's due to plasticizers inside the car. I've tried 100% cotton, microfiber cloths, newspaper, lint free paper towels, you name it. All kinds of window cleaning solutions. It wins every time.

Someone MUST know a way to get rid of it - it's driving me nucking futs!

I will be eternally grateful to whomever knows the solution!
Ron,
You are fighting a continuous leeching of the softeners in the vinyl of your interior. The release is accelerated by your higher AZ temps. Keep working on it and there will eventually be an equilibrium.DON'T use paper towels. They will scratch the soft auto glass. The major component of vinyl is Polyvinyl chloride. It is a "hard" crystal that is mixed with processing agents and other softer polymers that will leech from the chemistry until they are exhausted unless there are more expensive additives that capture the soft polymers for the long term.

Remember the vehicles of the 60's & 70's where the dash and seats would crack. Complete loss of plasticizers.

What kind of a vehicle?

As I recall, I read a news release that Toyota (Lexus) was working on a vinyl polymer that would not release it's plasticizers.

pm
--
Life is too short to do anything
other than that about which you
are absolutely passionate . . .
Ride till you can't!

"Der Weg ist das Ziel"
2005 Pyrenees of France & Spain
2006 Tuscany
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2011 South Africa

2014 The Dolomites of Italy, Alps of Switzerland & Austria and returning to Milan via the "Gold Coast" of the French Riveria.

2016 Northern & Central Spain & Portugal

2018 Central & Eastern Europe: Slovenia, Austria, Poland,Hungary, Czech Republic & Slovakia!

2019 Maritime Provinces of Canada & New England 3,500 miles

'18 R1200RTW
'00 K1200LTC (Dealer is taking on consignment!)
'90 K75-Sold to a new BMW owner (2016)
'62 R 50/2 (Rode hard and put away wet)-Sold in '81
'63 Vespa 150 (1st and only dirt bike!)
Sold in '67

post #3 of 6 Old Dec 4th, 2009, 6:50 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMitchell
Ron,
You are fighting a continuous leeching of the softeners in the vinyl of your interior. The release is accelerated by your higher AZ temps. Keep working on it and there will eventually be an equilibrium.DON'T use paper towels. They will scratch the soft auto glass. The major component of vinyl is Polyvinyl chloride. It is a "hard" crystal that is mixed with processing agents and other softer polymers that will leech from the chemistry until they are exhausted unless there are more expensive additives that capture the soft polymers for the long term.

Remember the vehicles of the 60's & 70's where the dash and seats would crack. Complete loss of plasticizers.

What kind of a vehicle?

As I recall, I read a news release that Toyota (Lexus) was working on a vinyl polymer that would not release it's plasticizers.

Ya...What he said.....

Bob Thede
'02 K1200 LT-Blackie II

'97 BMW Z3-SO's
BMWMOA #135792

CCR-'08

'62 Fender Jazz Bass-played often!

post #4 of 6 Old Dec 4th, 2009, 10:15 pm

I've heard keeping the windows cracked and HVAC vent open will keep the haze off the windshield. I always forget to do that though. The rest of the windows in my car are hazy too. Doesn't have anything to do with plastisizers. They're my Yorkshire Terrorist's nose prints!

Lee
Y2K K1200 LT Canyon Red - Torn apart by a Bimmer 11-10-10. Sold to Saddleman to be reanimated.
2005 K1200 LT Ocean Blue
ATGATT
CCR 2009, CCR 2010, CCR 2012
IBA #39250
SS1000 - September 2009
BB1500 - September 2009
BMW MOA #167909
post #5 of 6 Old Dec 5th, 2009, 4:10 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMitchell
Ron,

What kind of a vehicle?

Yep, but you would think that a 1988 Chevy Crew Cab would have passed all of it's gas by now! (although my Mercedes does it too - grrrrr)

I'm thinking about soaking a small sponge with some acetone or MEK, then using some forceps to hold it and swab the window. I'll need to do it on a breezy day to keep my lungs from melting...

"Like Butt-ahh!"
post #6 of 6 Old Dec 5th, 2009, 4:14 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveDragon
Vinager? It's powerful stuff!

3M 24 Oz Adhesive Remover Citrus Base I use this to prep surfaces and it removes everything.

jm2cw ymmv lsmft
Yep, tried vinegar, no joy. Tried ammonia too and I thought for sure that would work. Nope.

I've got some ZEP citrus based degreaser in the shop. While it's worthless for grease it just might do the trick on the windows - never thought of that... thanks Dave.

If not I'll try the 3M adhesive remover. I love 3M products... they make the visco foam for my seats!

"Like Butt-ahh!"

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in