On Star - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old Feb 5th, 2006, 10:37 am Thread Starter

On Star

We caught an On-Star commercial last night.

So now your car sits in the garage, runs self-diagnostics, and sends you an email.

God, what's the world comin' to?

ROXANNE: Our car would bombard us with spam every night saying, "Check Engine."

T.

The Bad Ted

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old Feb 5th, 2006, 12:36 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenixroyale
We caught an On-Star commercial last night.

So now your car sits in the garage, runs self-diagnostics, and sends you an email.

God, what's the world comin' to?

ROXANNE: Our car would bombard us with spam every night saying, "Check Engine."

T.
Reading this leads me to nodding my head and thanking someone, somewhere for granting me the pleasure of owning an original non-thinking, non-self diagnosticating, non-techie cage, circa '67. A one-owner Goat that can talk volumes if I just listen. Has a never-been-seen idiot light somewhere on the dash for when the old mill gitz sizzling; a dial gauge for the level of gas tank content and another for oil pressure; an indicator dial for battery performance; and a beeg ole round dial for speedo data.

Not one digital bit of scrollable text (we see analog gauges) 'cept for that *check engine soon* message thats 270,000 miles old; not one rocker switch to toggle a soft or sport suspension mode (we're somewhere in between); not one On-Star or Tele-Aid button to push (we use a beltphone, or a thumb); not one talking GPS screen (we ax directions!!); not one miles-to-go readout 'til next service (we have a calendar); not one engine oil level readout (we use a dipstick); not one heated or airconditioned seat with lumbar bolsters (we use a mesh seat cushion); not one push-button rear view mirror positioner (we get help from the passenger); not one ride level button to push to raise the car while traversing parking lot speed bumps (we make sparks); not one auto door lock at speed (well duh - we ain't gonna try opening the doors at speed, are we??!!); not one lock/unlock/start/stop/panic mode electronic fob (we use a replica key from Ace Hardware); not one push-button window regulator (we crank); not one open-seatbelt buzzer (we're trained); not one leetle black dome thangie in the headliner, hiding a microphone (we do karaoke tho); not one air-conditioned trunk or console glove box (we don't live in there); not one cupholder (we got two hands); not one combo mirror/garage door opener (we carry extra opener); not one automatic daytime running light setting (we're trained); not one tethered gas cap (we leave ours on the pump now and then 'til the next visit --- who's gonna want it?); not one hidden lever, under the dash inside the cage, to raise the hood (we walk up to it and give it a good thump); not one automatic rain sensor to enable the wipers (we're trained!) ---- and many more examples of the haves/have nots!!

Cheryl just got a Xmas present that has all those digital/electronic/self-diagnostic/banner scrolling/talking/sensing/date-time displaying/obsolete in three years, rolling cages. I have thankfully found that you don't have to run thru the pre-flight checklist if you're just going the two blocks for a gas fillup. I am, however, paranoid that I'll accidentally push the hidden auto-pilot toggle and wind up at Mercedes NA and be greeted by a J.D. Powers rep!!!

Thank goodness, ole Goat talks to me in a different language!!
post #3 of 6 Old Feb 5th, 2006, 12:48 pm Thread Starter

What a great post, Dick. Wish I'd written it. Thanks.

All the Best,

T.

The Bad Ted

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 6 Old Feb 6th, 2006, 10:09 am

And yet the motorcycle you ride is one of the most hi-tech on the market.
post #5 of 6 Old Feb 6th, 2006, 10:14 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by rixchard
And yet the motorcycle you ride is one of the most hi-tech on the market.
Yep.
post #6 of 6 Old Feb 6th, 2006, 2:45 pm
Lifetime Supporter

No comprende'

Dick,
They do not teach "comprehension skills" anymore. It seems they do not teach the language of "mechanic" either... it's all just "STUD" (Swap Till You Drop).
Being a real "mechanic" is quickly becoming a "lost art".

Now, Imagine, if you will for a moment, an electrostatic impulse zapping around our little globe... only "obsolete" technology like your GOAT will work... while your wife's new "cage" with it's 3 year "planned obsolescene" morbidity will be useless.

Of course, so will our cell phones, LT's, etc... sort of like the SciFi movie, "The day the earth stood still" Only it will be longer than a day...

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in