recommend a household mover ? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old Nov 28th, 2009, 8:19 am Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

recommend a household mover ?

Anyone recommend (or not) a National mover to relocate our furniture and "stuff." ?
Thanx

Allan..Illinois, Oregon, Arkansas, and tomorrow the Universe
2003 K1200LT trike - Starfighter
2004 R1150RTP - Combat Touring
IBA #38152
BMW-MOA 97667
Patriot Guard Riders
...and man of leisure

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old Nov 28th, 2009, 12:08 pm

Re: recommend a household mover ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by STARFIGHTER
Anyone recommend (or not) a National mover to relocate our furniture and "stuff." ?
Thanx
I've never had the joy of a long distance move requiring pros, but from what I understand it's pretty much a crap shoot depending on how well run the local franchise is. I know that is is really expensive...

If you're paying for it out of pocket and don't need to get it all done in one day an alternative might be to hire a couple of local laborers and supervise them to load some www.pods.com. You can buy "movers blankets" and low quality motorcycle style tie downs dirt cheap at Harbor Freight and probably re-sell them on the other end for close to what you paid for them. Pods has good prices on boxes.

I personally would feel a lot better knowing and seeing exactly how my stuff was packed for the journey.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Like Butt-ahh!"
post #3 of 7 Old Nov 28th, 2009, 2:02 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Just a couple of resources from a quickie Google search

Search #1

Search #2

pm
--
Life is too short to do anything
other than that about which you
are absolutely passionate . . .
Ride till you can't!

"Der Weg ist das Ziel"
2005 Pyrenees of France & Spain
2006 Tuscany

2011 South Africa

2014 The Dolomites of Italy, Alps of Switzerland & Austria and returning to Milan via the "Gold Coast" of the French Riveria.

2016 Northern & Central Spain & Portugal

2018 Central & Eastern Europe: Slovenia, Austria, Poland,Hungary, Czech Republic & Slovakia!

2019 Maritime Provinces of Canada & New England 3,500 miles

'18 R1200RTW
'00 K1200LTC (Dealer is taking on consignment!)
'90 K75-Sold to a new BMW owner (2016)
'62 R 50/2 (Rode hard and put away wet)-Sold in '81
'63 Vespa 150 (1st and only dirt bike!)
Sold in '67

post #4 of 7 Old Nov 28th, 2009, 6:46 pm
Lifetime Supporter

During my 30 year corporate career, I relocated across country 11 times. Fortunately, the company picked up the tab for every move. After the 5th move, I connected with the best mover I had ever seen and he moved me for the remaining 6 times. In fact, whenever I would find out about a move, my first call was to the SO and the second call was to my mover, Barney, to get on his schedule. I guess the moving business was good for him...he retired shortly after I did, so I unfortunately haven't got a recommendation.

I can share a few tips with you that might make your move smoother:

1. Pack a separate tool box and drive it to the new home yourself. You're gonna need it on the day of the move.
2. If you have a hanging system of some sort in the garage for lawn tools, etc., make sure you know which box it is in (load it as one of the last items). While the movers are unloading the boxes, you can be working to get things organized in the garage. As you begin to unpack boxes, you'll already have a place to put everything so you don't just end up with it all scattered across the garage floor.
3. Load the kitchen boxes last so they're the first to come off. One of the best ways to feel comfortable in the new home is to have the kitchen somewhat organized by the end of the moving day. Typically, my wife would be unloading boxes in the kitchen and putting things away while I was doing the same thing in the garage.
4. Pack some bed linens separate and carry them in the car. If not, at the end of a tiring unpacking day, you'll be scratching your head, looking at the empty mattress and wishing you had some blankets so you can just go to bed. This is also a time when you'll need the tools so you can put the bed together.
5. On both load day and unload day, make sure you have some coffee, paistries for the movers and get them carry out lunch when it's time. These guys are going to be handling all your stuff, so make sure they feel REAL good about you.
6. Check your furniture carefully before the move and note any damage that is already there, then check them after the move to make sure nothing happend in between.

Those are just a few things off the top of my head. Good luck!

Life happens...you control your reaction.

2017 KTM 350 EXC-F (single track monster)
2018 Honda CRF250L Rally (fun on the fire roads)
2015 R1200 RT (holy cow…what a bike)
2007 K1200 LT (sold)
2005 DR 650 (sold)
2002 Harley Ultra (sold)
1999 Harley Road King (sold)
1996 K1100 LT (sold)
1990 Honda Shadow (sold)
1978-1993 Raising Kids; Paying Mortgages
1975 Honda CB550 (sold but wish I still had)
Homemade Motor Bike (mounted a 3.5 HP Briggs & Stratton on my bicycle at age 12)
post #5 of 7 Old Nov 28th, 2009, 6:59 pm Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Great suggestions all.............................................
I will take a look at Pods.........................................
Thank you all for these ideas

Allan..Illinois, Oregon, Arkansas, and tomorrow the Universe
2003 K1200LT trike - Starfighter
2004 R1150RTP - Combat Touring
IBA #38152
BMW-MOA 97667
Patriot Guard Riders
...and man of leisure

post #6 of 7 Old Nov 28th, 2009, 7:00 pm

My Son Just returned from SLC and he used upack.com, they dropped a shipping container off, he filled it up, he arrived home, and a couple days later the pod arrived. He says he could not rent a truck for the price.

NOGILLS2

Booze Brother# 69
2003 K1200LTE "BEERBURNER" RIP 07/21/09
2006 Aluma Trailer "AFTERBURNER" SOLD
2007 ST1300ABS "Quicksilver"

post #7 of 7 Old Nov 28th, 2009, 9:10 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickerbiker
5. On both load day and unload day, make sure you have some coffee, paistries for the movers and get them carry out lunch when it's time. These guys are going to be handling all your stuff, so make sure they feel REAL good about you.
6. Check your furniture carefully before the move and note any damage that is already there, then check them after the move to make sure nothing happend in between.

Those are just a few things off the top of my head. Good luck!

I was a mover many moons ago. If it is a corporate move or a military move (as in you are not paying for it), don't be afraid to tip the movers. They will know wether or not you are paying for it, and if you don't tip, you will be considered a cheap bastard. Have coffee and drinks for the movers, and as stated, offer to get lunch. If you go an get it for them, the lunch break is that much shorter.

As for #6, there should be an inventory that lists all the damage to the furniture at the origin. The mover will have you sign it. Any damage that is on that sheet, they are not liable for.

Tony

2006 K1200LT "SNOB"

IBA 35008

"I don't like repeat offenders, I like dead offenders" - Ted Nugent

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in