Tangent Ted - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old Feb 5th, 2006, 10:25 am Thread Starter

Tangent Ted

Pillow talk. Saturday morning.

"I feel like an invalid, sometimes. My body used to be so strong. My knees won't carry me around anymore. My back is broken. My legs go numb. I'm at such a loss."

Feeling sorry for myself. Roxanne recognized the symptoms, without sympathy.

"You still have so much power. You don't even realize."

"Power?" I responded.

"Your power is not in your body." And then she told me this story. As some of you know, Roxanne is a Special Ed. teacher. It has probably helped her maintain this marriage for so long. Anyway, the story:

"I have a student, confined to a wheelchair. She can barely move. She can barely communicate. Sign language, mostly. Gutteral talk that only a few can actually understand. Yet every day, she talks, and what she says, people better listen to."

"Not a day goes by that she doesn't say, 'I love you.' But here's the thing. She doesn't say it to the people whose hearts she has already captured. She seldom says it to me. She knows already that I love her right back."

"She says it to the ones who are holding back. She says it, every day, every single day, to the ones who don't give it back. Who haven't yet learned the power of her message. And she'll continue, until she has captured their hearts with the wonderful thing she has to communicate."

"Your power is not in your body. Look elsewhere. Your friends already know."

That's what Roxanne told me.

This morning.

Pillow talk.

T.

The Bad Ted

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old Feb 5th, 2006, 2:12 pm

Quite a woman, that Roxanne...........

Lucky Ted.
post #3 of 10 Old Feb 5th, 2006, 3:34 pm

Thumbs up Wow!

Excellent Theodore. Absolutely excellent.

As for Roxanne's student...we sure could learn a lot from "those" people. I know. I have one of "those" people living in my house. My son Nick was born with Spina Bifida. No sob story. We don't need anyone's pity. It's a pretty mild case...compared to most afflicted with this defect. Yet our lives are far from "normal", at times. Then again, "normal" is lame. Boring. Normal lacks passion. And those are the things we don't have to be concerned with.

Thanks Ted. I really look forward to the day when we can talk over a beverage. I admire your gifts. But more importantly, your willingness to share them.

post #4 of 10 Old Feb 5th, 2006, 7:26 pm Thread Starter

Many thanks, Joe. Confident we'll cross paths one of these days.

T.

The Bad Ted

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 10 Old Feb 6th, 2006, 12:41 am

"NORMAL is a setting on the dryer!",My sons favorite quote: "Everyone is NORMAL till you get to know them!"

I have a love hate relationship with ATTITUDE, that is what really makes the difference in our lives.

NOGILLS2

Booze Brother# 69
2003 K1200LTE "BEERBURNER" RIP 07/21/09
2006 Aluma Trailer "AFTERBURNER" SOLD
2007 ST1300ABS "Quicksilver"

post #6 of 10 Old Feb 6th, 2006, 5:57 am

Normal???

Define normal i always say.

Is it finding your way thru the minefield each day to find fresh water, taking the kids to school that is only 30 kilometers walk away, looking thru a telescope searching for new planets, is it having cleints pay you a few hundred dollars an hour to have their way with you, is it hearing voices in your head that arent yours????

Funny how almost every area of the world has its own version of "normal" and everyone else in the rest of the world is considered wierd.
post #7 of 10 Old Feb 6th, 2006, 6:32 am

Thanks, Ted, I needed that!

Chick

Saved by Grace -- Ephesians 2:8-9

2005 Graphite LT

BMWMOA #118809

NRA Life Member

post #8 of 10 Old Feb 6th, 2006, 2:08 pm

Good one Ted....I'm not that far from you and would really like to meet you one day..
I always enjoy your stories and witicism..

John

Live and direct from the new earthquake capitol of the U.S. Jones, Oklahoma
08 Can-Am Spyder (Miss Lindy's)
03 R1200CLC Capri Blue "Flipper"

01 R1100RT Glacier Blue "Lucky"
91 R100GS "It'sNotAMoneyPit"
The voices in my head may not be real, But they have some good ideas!

"I like the wind in my face and Boobies on my back. No, Wait, I got that backwards"

post #9 of 10 Old Feb 7th, 2006, 5:55 pm Thread Starter

Thanks, guys. For someone who writes, it's greatest feeling to know that you made someone laugh, or reflect, or touched them.

One of my friends living clear across the country wrote to me the other day, in response to a story I'd posted to a list of friends (OOL -- OUUR OWN LIST - which I run off this machine.) Anyway, whatever this particular story was about, she started out, Great story, Ted. I could just see..." and went on to say whateverit was.

But wow. Those have got to be the nicest thing you can say to a writer..."I could just see..."

So when you like what I write, then you're the reason I write, and I'm grateful for the kind words.

And if you don't like something I write, hang around, we'll try again. They don't call me Tangent Ted for nothing.

Actually, only one person ever called me that, and I stole it for this essay.

Think I'll post another in a few minutes, something I wrote the other night when I was feeling nostalgic.

T.

The Bad Ted

post #10 of 10 Old Feb 7th, 2006, 6:07 pm

Wink I think I know what you mean . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenixroyale
But wow. Those have got to be the nicest thing you can say to a writer..."I could just see..."
"I could just see" me punching you in the face!!!

Not exactly what you meant, huh?!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in