LG ( brand) Cell Phone & Headset Question - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old Nov 22nd, 2009, 4:16 pm Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Question LG ( brand) Cell Phone & Headset Question

I recently switched my cell phone from a Sanyo (unknown model) to an LG LX265 "Rumor2". Both phones have a 2.5mm headset jack. I quickly found that Baehr's 2.5mm cell phone cable fits in the new phone's headset jack, but it doesn't accept the detent, or "click", solidly into the phone. If you hold the Baehr cable against the phone's headset jack the headset mode works; if you let go, it moves just enough to go out of headset mode. The LG phone definitely has a 2.5mm jack, not 3.5mm.

The Baehr has always worked with the Sanyo cell phone.

The nice folks at the local Sprint store tried several other models of the LG LX265 with every corded headset they had in the store, with the same results, so it's not just my phone. They also tried this with other LG brand cell phones, with the same results.

So... does LG use some kind of one-off, or non-standard, headset jack?

I have read through the manual with no luck. I have looked online at Radio Shack. I'm thinking there must be a "standard" 2.5mm to LG 2.5mm headset adapter. I will call LG's Accessories line tomorrow when they open.

Any ideas from The Collective?

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2009 BMW K1200LT - 60k miles
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)
2005 BMW K1200LT - "Gray Ghost", traded at 120k miles
2005 Honda Shadow 650 (sold)
AMA, IBA, BMW MOA. CCRs: Braselton 2006, Osage Beach 2007, Duluth 2012

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
[/URL]
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old Nov 23rd, 2009, 7:16 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Garage
Re: LG ( brand) Cell Phone & Headset Question

Only thing I can offer up is to take your headset 2.5mm and check local electronics stores for a connector that works. If you can solder your own that would be a plus. Better scenerio would be to get a 2.5mm female connector and splice it to the sacrificial LG and be done with it...I've had my fair share of doing this with the connection on an Icom two way to my (an others) comsystems...

Quote:
Originally Posted by hschisler
I recently switched my cell phone from a Sanyo (unknown model) to an LG LX265 "Rumor2". Both phones have a 2.5mm headset jack. I quickly found that Baehr's 2.5mm cell phone cable fits in the new phone's headset jack, but it doesn't accept the detent, or "click", solidly into the phone. If you hold the Baehr cable against the phone's headset jack the headset mode works; if you let go, it moves just enough to go out of headset mode. The LG phone definitely has a 2.5mm jack, not 3.5mm.

The Baehr has always worked with the Sanyo cell phone.

The nice folks at the local Sprint store tried several other models of the LG LX265 with every corded headset they had in the store, with the same results, so it's not just my phone. They also tried this with other LG brand cell phones, with the same results.

So... does LG use some kind of one-off, or non-standard, headset jack?

I have read through the manual with no luck. I have looked online at Radio Shack. I'm thinking there must be a "standard" 2.5mm to LG 2.5mm headset adapter. I will call LG's Accessories line tomorrow when they open.

Any ideas from The Collective?

Hoss
'Stupidity has a knack of getting its way.' --Albert Camus
'05- K1200LT - Gretchen
R.I.P. - '00- K1200LTE- "Barbara" - Retired at 168K 9/2011
MOA, IBA, EXR & RCB and TMI
post #3 of 7 Old Nov 23rd, 2009, 9:10 pm Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Update: I went back to the Sprint store. They were less than helpful - basically saying 'we dunno' and shrugging their shoulders. Went to another Sprint store; they tried to help, but had no idea.

Went to Radio Shack. Ding ding ding! Their 3.5mm - 2.5mm adapter snapped nicely into the LG's headset jack, so I bought that and a 2.5mm - 3.5mm adapter. So... what I have now is:
1. the Baehr cell phone cable, plugged into
2. the Radio Shack 2.5mm - 3.5mm adapter, plugged into
3. the Radio Shack 3.5mm - 2.5mm adapter, plugged into
4. the LG phone's headset jack.

It looks like 2 of these plugged into each other, and then the phone:

It's a long way around the barn but it works. I even took my first Bluetooth call through the Zumo GPS. Kind of neat to see the caller's name and number appear on the GPS before answering.

The only thing not working now is outgoing calls via the GPS.

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)

[/URL]

Last edited by hschisler; Nov 23rd, 2009 at 9:22 pm.

post #4 of 7 Old Nov 24th, 2009, 12:12 am
Lifetime Supporter

Garage

Seems like a convoluted way to get from A to B..But hey, not judging!

Hoss
'Stupidity has a knack of getting its way.' --Albert Camus
'05- K1200LT - Gretchen
R.I.P. - '00- K1200LTE- "Barbara" - Retired at 168K 9/2011
MOA, IBA, EXR & RCB and TMI
post #5 of 7 Old Nov 25th, 2009, 9:19 pm Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Correct, of course, but it did work. The issue seemed to be with how most 2.5mm headsets were fashioned, where the plastic tip turns into metal "post" or whatever it's called. The adapters aren't made the same way, thus avoiding the original problem.

We have since returned the LG phones and gone to Blackberries. I haven't tried the BB on the bike yet but it's a whole new ball game with email, IM, etc.

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)

[/URL]
post #6 of 7 Old Nov 26th, 2009, 7:49 am
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car

Howard I've had 2 LG phones and both have plugged into my Com System with no trouble. The 2.5 cord I use came from the dealer.

Stevie Shreeve
post #7 of 7 Old Nov 26th, 2009, 4:34 pm Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by katnapinn
Howard I've had 2 LG phones and both have plugged into my Com System with no trouble. The 2.5 cord I use came from the dealer.
Interesting. In a sense, I wish I had the LGs that we just returned so I could compare them with yours. Something has changed, as no LG in the store would accept a standard 2.5mm headset as described earlier.

The 3.5mm - 2.5mm adapter did plug into the LG I returned, so I know it can be done, but...

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)

[/URL]

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in