I want to be your business partner. - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old Nov 20th, 2009, 5:31 pm Thread Starter

I want to be your business partner.

This was stolen from a newsletter that I pay a subscription for, so I'm reprinting it here for your consideration. I'm not interested in turning this into a political thread since this has been going on through many different administrations - both Republican and Democrat for a loooong time.

I'd like to make you a business offer. Seriously. This is a real offer. In fact, you really can't turn me down, as you'll come to understand in a moment...

Here's the deal. You're going to start a business or expand the one you've got now. It doesn't really matter what you do or what you're going to do. I'll partner with you no matter what business you're in – as long as it's legal. But I can't give you any capital – you have to come up with that on your own. I won't give you any labor – that's definitely up to you. What I will do, however, is demand you follow all sorts of rules about what products and services you can offer, how much (and how often) you pay your employees, and where and when you're allowed to operate your business. That's my role in the affair: to tell you what to do.

Now in return for my rules, I'm going to take roughly half of whatever you make in the business, each year. Half seems fair, doesn't it? I think so. Of course, that's half of your profits. You're also going to have to pay me about 12% of whatever you decide to pay your employees because you've got to cover my expenses for promulgating all of the rules about who you can employ, when, where, and how. Come on, you're my partner. It's only "fair."

Now... after you've put your hard-earned savings at risk to start this business and after you've worked hard at it for a few decades (paying me my 50% or a bit more along the way each year), you might decide you'd like to cash out – to finally live the good life.

Whether or not this is "fair" – some people never can afford to retire – is a different argument. As your partner, I'm happy for you to sell whenever you'd like... because our agreement says, if you sell, you have to pay me an additional 20% of whatever the capitalized value of the business is at that time.

I know... I know... you put up all the original capital. You took all the risks. You put in all of the labor. That's all true. But I've done my part, too. I've collected 50% of the profits each year. And I've always come up with more rules for you to follow each year. Therefore, I deserve another, final 20% slice of the business. Oh... and one more thing...

Even after you've sold the business and paid all of my fees... I'd recommend buying lots of life insurance. You see, even after you've been retired for years, when you die, you'll have to pay me 50% of whatever your estate is worth. After all, I've got lots of partners and not all of them are as successful as you and your family. We don't think it's "fair" for your kids to have such a big advantage. But if you buy enough life insurance, you can finance this expense for your children. All in all, if you're a very successful entrepreneur... if you're one of the rare, lucky, and hard-working people who can create a new company, employ lots of people, and satisfy the public... you'll end up paying me more than 75% of your income over your life. Thanks so much.

I'm sure you'll think my offer is reasonable and happily partner with me... but it doesn't really matter how you feel about it because if you ever try to stiff me – or cheat me on any of my fees or rules – I'll break down your door in the middle of the night, threaten you and your family with heavy, automatic weapons, and throw you in jail. That's how civil society is supposed to work, right? This is Amerika, isn't it?

That's the offer Amerika gives its entrepreneurs. And the idiots in Washington wonder why there are no new jobs...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Like Butt-ahh!"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old Nov 20th, 2009, 6:32 pm

Re: I want to be your business partner.

No comment.
post #3 of 14 Old Nov 21st, 2009, 11:49 am

Hey, That sounds like our government...!!!

You will be struck down for your slanderous comments.

I have alerted the IRS, FBI, CIA, and FDS...

John

Live and direct from the new earthquake capitol of the U.S. Jones, Oklahoma
08 Can-Am Spyder (Miss Lindy's)
03 R1200CLC Capri Blue "Flipper"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

01 R1100RT Glacier Blue "Lucky"
91 R100GS "It'sNotAMoneyPit"
The voices in my head may not be real, But they have some good ideas!

"I like the wind in my face and Boobies on my back. No, Wait, I got that backwards"

post #4 of 14 Old Nov 21st, 2009, 3:45 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPSpen

John
Not to worry Ron.........if any of them should fall off a ladder, they'd get lost on the way down..........
post #5 of 14 Old Nov 21st, 2009, 6:53 pm Thread Starter

Quote:

John
I can handle the IRS, FBI and CIA. ...but the FDS...

who dat? Are they related to the LDS?? YIKES!

"Like Butt-ahh!"
post #6 of 14 Old Nov 22nd, 2009, 9:21 am

Quote:

John
Sounds like, HELL, it is.

That is the main reason I sold my business.

B D R
post #7 of 14 Old Nov 22nd, 2009, 9:35 am

I have notified the agencies...

NASA
SEC
NOAA
and the YMCA
post #8 of 14 Old Nov 22nd, 2009, 10:02 am
LAF
Lifetime Supporter

While I have no idea if the data is accurate, that is INSANE.

How can they take half of your Estate after taxing half your income?

And then 20% on the sale?

I guess you need to turn into a criminal (read Politician) to keep your own money.

I am very concerned being mid fifty in this economy. Lets just say I carry very little debt, invest 8% in my payroll savings, and put the rest in personal savings. Even then if I lost my job, and my insurance, it would not take long to deplete personal savings. I would not be able to afford my meds, or insurance for too long at all. So I could go from making high 60's to zip, or collect my "pre-paid welfare" unemployment check. Even then being taxed and no other income it surely would not be much.

Don't like they way things are looking.

Think I need a ride

Lee
17.5 R1200 GSW Black Low
15 R1200 RTLC San Marino Blue Metallic (Sold)
10 Liquid Silver FJR1300 (Sold)
O7 Biarritz Blue Metallic LT (Totaled 2010)
ATGATT I am breathing proof.
BMW MOA #135959
post #9 of 14 Old Nov 22nd, 2009, 10:43 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAF
So I could go from making high 60's to zip, or collect my "pre-paid welfare" unemployment check. Even then being taxed and no other income it surely would not be much.
Unemployment tax has been always one that got my panties in a wad. A tax on a tax. Kind of reminds me of the guy in the barracks that has his own quick cash loan business. He operated at @ 40% profit margin, & if you were late, the fee doubled. He was big & bad enough to enforce it too. I decided against such a career since the enforcer part would be a lot more challenging for me at 5' 7.

BMW 1200 LTC 2002

Illinois...The Only State Where The Governors Make The License Plates
post #10 of 14 Old Nov 23rd, 2009, 9:25 am

Way too much coffee.

Taxes are no way near as high as they are protrayed. Estate taxes are paid by less than 3% of the population and only on $3 million dollar estates.

Taxes are the price of civialization. The business is protected by the police, able to hire educated employees (public school system) often benefits from research done by local universities and the people drawn to business that cater to the public. I haven't mentioned the national defense, the system of roads, communicattion and transportation systems are all supported by taxes.

I think in fact few business could operate at all without the public support for infrastucture.

We won't mention corporate welfare.

Karl
post #11 of 14 Old Nov 23rd, 2009, 12:13 pm
IBR# 366

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by nocanpickem
Taxes are the price of civilization. The business is protected by the police, able to hire educated employees (public school system) often benefits from research done by local universities and the people drawn to business that cater to the public. I haven't mentioned the national defense, the system of roads, communicattion and transportation systems are all supported by taxes.

I think in fact few business could operate at all without the public support for infrastructure.
Now now, Karl, don't try and confuse a perfectly good rant with contradictory facts. What fun is that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nocanpickem
We won't mention corporate welfare.
Wait, what? You mean the government just gives money to corporations? That they make laws benefitting businesses at the expense of the populace? That they not only allow, but in fact, encourage monopolies, predatory trading practices, fantasy accounting methods, and the screwing over of their own employees and customers? Say it isn't so . . .

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #12 of 14 Old Nov 23rd, 2009, 2:32 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAF
I guess you need to turn into a criminal (read Politician) to keep your own money.
Correction: they are keeping your money not theirs. While a certain amount of taxation is reasonable for basic services and security, giving corporate execs (who raped both their employees and their clientele) huge bail outs and letting them walk, is not good policy. It doesn't matter which color of KoolAid you drink (red or blue), it's all poisoned.

Around 222 years ago, a bunch of malcontents wrote up a document to prevent a repeat of something they had recently endured. It starts out like this:

We the people, in order to form a more perfect union, establish justice, ensure domestic tranquility, provide for the common defense, promote the general welfare, and secure the blessings of liberty to ourselves and our posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America.

Seems like perhaps somewhere along the way we got off the path looking for easy street.

Benny C. (Central Texas)
2001 LTC Pacific Blue (Babe...the blue ox)
1986 Kawasaki Concours (Connie) sold
post #13 of 14 Old Nov 23rd, 2009, 3:07 pm
IBR# 366

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by BennyBob
We the people, in order to form a more perfect union, establish justice, ensure domestic tranquility, provide for the common defense, promote the general welfare, and secure the blessings of liberty to ourselves and our posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America.
Does anyone else read that in a sing-song voice? I fear Schoolhouse Rock has ruined me for life.

"I'm just a bill, and I'm sittin' here on Capitol Hill . . . "

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #14 of 14 Old Nov 23rd, 2009, 3:12 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by meese
Does anyone else read that in a sing-song voice? I fear Schoolhouse Rock has ruined me for life.

"I'm just a bill, and I'm sittin' here on Capitol Hill . . . "
I bought the entire series of Schoolhouse Rock for my kids when they were young because I thought they were cool even though I was in High School & College when they were playing.

Benny C. (Central Texas)
2001 LTC Pacific Blue (Babe...the blue ox)
1986 Kawasaki Concours (Connie) sold

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in