Valentine One Radar Detector - 2 Questions - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old Nov 20th, 2009, 11:53 am Thread Starter
Ted

Valentine One Radar Detector - 2 Questions

Just curious about a few things. I've had my Valentine for about 9 months now and really like it. I have been using it exclusively in my car, mainly when I am commuting to and from work. Along my 50+ mile one-way route (mostly PCH), I encounter pretty much every day CHP and/or Ventura County and LA County Sheriffs. So far, all are using Ka band or LIDAR.

After a few months of experimenting, I have settled in on the Logic Mode (little L) for being the best in reducing the most false hits, while still alerting to the real threats.

My first question is what mode do you find works best for the driving you normally do?

My second question is more of an observation regarding LIDAR. I have noticed that I do not see LIDAR being used at night (no pun intended). Just wondering if anyone has witnessed LIDAR usage at night, or worse, received a LIDAR performance award at night.

Thanks in advance!

Ted

Camarillo, CA
2012 Ducati Multistrada 1200S - Red
2007 R1200S - Black - Sold
2003 K1200LTC - Silver - Sold
IBA# 16554

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old Nov 20th, 2009, 3:38 pm

Re: Valentine One Radar Detector - 2 Questions

I have used a V1 since 2002. It was permanently mounted to my LT, until I totaled it in 2004. I moved it to my car then. It is now mounted permanently in my Tundra pickup, mounted in the overhead console, with the remote display in the lower part of my instrument panel. It works great!

I have long ago come to the conclusion that the "L" mode is best for me. It has never not shown me a real radar, and the false hits are minimal.

While it was still on the LT, when I was doing a lot of cross country riding, I ended up disabling the Laser detection. After a couple years of having it on, it only alerted me to ONE actual laser (and if I had been speeding it would not have saved me due to the instant on of the laser), but found every GM SUV high brake light in front of me. Those GM brake light hits were so often, and so annoying, it made the laser detection pretty useless. I have not had that function active ever again. After you find a few dozen or so GM SUV's you will see what I mean.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.
post #3 of 7 Old Nov 20th, 2009, 4:00 pm

I'm another L mode guy. Works great.

post #4 of 7 Old Nov 20th, 2009, 4:45 pm Thread Starter
Ted

Quote:
Originally Posted by dshealey
...I ended up disabling the Laser detection. After a couple years of having it on, it only alerted me to ONE actual laser (and if I had been speeding it would not have saved me due to the instant on of the laser), but found every GM SUV high brake light in front of me. Those GM brake light hits were so often, and so annoying, it made the laser detection pretty useless. I have not had that function active ever again. After you find a few dozen or so GM SUV's you will see what I mean.
Yes I know what you mean! Luckily, on my route that doesn't occur too often. There are two or three places where the sheriffs like to use LIDAR. Sometimes my detector alerts, and sometimes it does not. I'm sure there are two reasons for this, the narrowness of the beam doesn't trigger the detector, or the officer has visually determined that I'm not speeding and therefore doesn't shoot me.

I have also found that some high-end Mercedes give simultaneous multiple K band hits via their Blind-Spot Assist option. Those are worse than the false LIDAR, because it's constant until you can pass the vehicle.

Ted

Camarillo, CA
IBA# 16554

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 7 Old Nov 20th, 2009, 9:56 pm

Logic mode for me as well, seems to be the best in my experience since 2001.

Regards & Ride Safe!

Bruce
'09 Black LT
4-Wheels moves the body, 2-wheels moves the soul.
IBA # 8547
post #6 of 7 Old Nov 21st, 2009, 12:11 am
Cat Herder

Garage

I run in L mode. I have the X band turned down low and I have never gotten hit with the LIDAR. Not real popular in Nevada. I have found that the high-end Mercedes give simultaneous multiple K band hits as well and it gets on my last nerve, especially when you can't figure out which car it is.

Tvguy
'16 R1200RT - "Golden Eye"
'11 R1200RT - "Night Fury" SOLD
'02 K1200LTE - "The Silver Bullet" SOLD

post #7 of 7 Old Nov 22nd, 2009, 12:20 pm Thread Starter
Ted

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvguy
I have found that the high-end Mercedes give simultaneous multiple K band hits as well and it gets on my last nerve, especially when you can't figure out which car it is.
Look at their side-view mirrors - you'll see a little red LED < if BSA is activated - it's easier to spot at night!

Ted

Camarillo, CA
IBA# 16554

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in