BMW 335i convertable..comments? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old Nov 16th, 2009, 12:27 pm Thread Starter

BMW 335i convertable..comments?

anyone have any experience with this hard top convertable? sure is a nice car all around.

this is the wifes next car, think we'll buy used within the next 12 months or so, in place of a 2up bike possibly, jury is still out on that one. she likes the white exterior with a light color interior, vewwy nice!

just wondering if someone might be driving one out there and have any comments/input/helpful hints.

thanks...geo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old Nov 16th, 2009, 2:27 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Re: BMW 335i convertable..comments?

I'd like to hope that the newer 3 series are nice cars. However, I have to say my 2000 323ci has been an absolute nightmare to own. The list of major failures is long and the list of class action lawsuits is at 2 and growing.

Just like the bikes, be very wary of owning one without a full and comprehensive warranty along with a great relationship with your dealer.

Todd R.
Grapevine, TX USA

'78 R80/7
'06 FJR1300A

"You will now be thrown into the Obamaucracy. In his belly you will find a new definition of pain and suffering as you are slowly taxed to death over the next four years."
post #3 of 12 Old Nov 16th, 2009, 3:51 pm
Gold Supporter

What Todd said, if it is anything like my Z3 was. Nightmare!!!

Jerry
Look in the wolf's eyes and what do you see--A guardian spirit or fierce enemy?
2008 FLHTCU White Pearl

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 12 Old Nov 16th, 2009, 11:30 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Garage

Well I guess I have to come clean.... The wife wanted a "new car" a while back (6 years) and we went looking. I told her no (and got away with it) on her first choice, a Pontiac! Then she switched to her "dream car" a 325 CIC. Sourced it from several places, and it was still much more than I wanted to be in debit for. Let the market cool for a while and lucked into a 2001 BMW with 7K on the odom... Yes, 7K!. Two gay guys had the car, he bought it for him, and they never drove it... They had two other cars. Walked away when they wanted book price. I called them back two months later (Can't be many that can come up with 35K to a private seller, right!) and drove off with the car. 7K under book price!

Now the wife is happy and I am happy (somewhat) I can say that very little has went wrong with the car. A seatbelt monitor here, wiring harness there. etc...etc...etc. besides a the few issues, the car has not had any problems and the dealer (yes, Dealer not Stealer) is great. High class operation, great to their customers.

While I have not had much exposure to the BMW line of cars, based on my, or should I say her experience, my next bike...err...aahh car will be a BMW. Maintenance is high, but still lower than the scooter maintenance (at the stealers!) The fit an finish is good, The convertible soft top has not had a single issue, no leaks, no stains.

If you can get into one at a good price, go get it. They seem to do a better job on their cars, than Final drives!

Hoss
'Stupidity has a knack of getting its way.' --Albert Camus
'05- K1200LT - Gretchen
R.I.P. - '00- K1200LTE- "Barbara" - Retired at 168K 9/2011
MOA, IBA, EXR & RCB and TMI
post #5 of 12 Old Nov 17th, 2009, 5:47 am

I wouldn't hesitate a bit buying a BMW. I have had several through the years.....never had a problem with any of them.

My Wife has a 1997 BMW Z3 that has 85000 miles on it.......NO problems. Runs like a fine watch!

Bob Thede
'02 K1200 LT-Blackie II

'97 BMW Z3-SO's
BMWMOA #135792

CCR-'08

'62 Fender Jazz Bass-played often!
post #6 of 12 Old Nov 17th, 2009, 5:59 am

I have a 2000 BMW M Roadster that I have had no problems with. Just change the oil and filter and drive the heck out of it.

Only note is that M Roadsters don't have a spare tire, only an air compressor. If you blow out a tire, you need a wrecker and a spare tire at home. As luck would have it the only time I had that happen I was only 50 miles from home on I-45 in the Woodlands, near BMW North. I borrowed one of their cars and went home and got my spare. Thank God I was on the 3 sisters in the hill country.

Ride 'em if you got 'em.
post #7 of 12 Old Nov 17th, 2009, 10:17 am
Lifetime Supporter

One of my staff has a brand new 3 series (now a year old). I think he drives to work about half the time with a loaner from the dealer as the car is constantly in the shop for minor stuff. He has had many issues with the on-board computer. He sure is glad the car is under warranty.
My advice would be to lease instead of buying so when the car is out of warranty you just return it.

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT
06 Mercedes-Benz E350 Estate (parts and people hauler)
2012 BMW X3 (parts and people hauler)
86 Porsche 911 Cabriolet (my "new" baby)

For her I climbed the highest mountain!
For her I swam across the deepest ocean!
For her I walked through the largest desert!
And then she left me... She said I was never home!!!

post #8 of 12 Old Nov 17th, 2009, 12:51 pm

I've had numerous BMW cars - currently an X5 4.6is (supercharged to 450hp) and a 2008 M5 (no need for supercharging w/ 500hp stock!). One of my associates (a real car fanatic and BMW "nut" - can tell you the specs of almost any model in the last 20 years!) waited years to get a 335i and bought one shortly after they became available. He loves it!

The reason for the above background is not only because my associate's opinion on that specific car is very reliable, but because I have driven his 335i, and was EXTREMELY impressed! There's a reason BMW has been putting that same twin-turbo in everything from the 135i and 335i to much heavier cars like the 535i and even some of the SUV's! It ROCKS! Although my M5 would definitely beat the 335i in a drag race, the 335i is actually quicker off the line than either of my cars (barring rev-"launching", which normal people never do), and therefore "feels" more powerful/quicker in almost any kind of normal day-to-day driving. The reason is that the 335i's twin-turbos give it amazing torque from the second you step on the gas (as I recall, it has almost full torque at something like 1500 rpms! ). In fact, after driving it, I was thinking, "Now THIS is a car I could live with...and for a lot less money than that M5!"

In short, I say GO FOR IT!

Bruce Yates - Y3K on board!
Bellevue, WA (near sunny Seattle
)
2013 dark graphite K1600GTL "Tiger Shark"
(RIP - totaled by idiot cage driver)

2000 K1200LTc "Salsa" (sold to my buddy, Mel)
2012 midnight blue Vespa GTS 300ie (Cheri's)

(photography)

(new blog)

2001 CCR - Hot Springs, AR
2002 CCR - Santa Fe, NM
2003 CCR - Gatlinburg, TN
2004 CCR - Breckenridge, CO
2005 CCR - Jackson Hole, WY
2006 CCR - Braselton, GA
2009 CCR - Rapid City, SD
2011 CCR - Boise, ID

"If at first you don't succeed, try try again. Then quit. No use being a damned fool about it." WC Fields
post #9 of 12 Old Nov 17th, 2009, 10:54 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Wow, Bruce. Checked out your sites. Some amazing photos there! Nice work.

Life happens...you control your reaction.

2017 KTM 350 EXC-F (single track monster)
2018 Honda CRF250L Rally (fun on the fire roads)
2015 R1200 RT (holy cow…what a bike)
2007 K1200 LT (sold)
2005 DR 650 (sold)
2002 Harley Ultra (sold)
1999 Harley Road King (sold)
1996 K1100 LT (sold)
1990 Honda Shadow (sold)
1978-1993 Raising Kids; Paying Mortgages
1975 Honda CB550 (sold but wish I still had)
Homemade Motor Bike (mounted a 3.5 HP Briggs & Stratton on my bicycle at age 12)
post #10 of 12 Old Nov 18th, 2009, 9:41 am Thread Starter

Excellent info folks, thank you!

We first saw the 335Ci in east Germany (Liepzig) when visiting our friends there back in 07 I think it was, shes wanted on every since. Shes' even talking about fly and buy but our friends are visiting us this coming spring so we'll have to see how that works out.

After dumping her on the pavement at 70 MPH last month on the LT, I'm thinking stick to my sport bike and do the 2up riding in a convertable

She's not sure she wants to give up riding yet but we have a little time, saving some cash first. We'll do one or the other, not both, re 2up bike or convertable but we need another car anyway so I'm leaning toward the cage. I still have my K1200S for daily duties, etc.

I must say it is an awesome machine, for a cage

regards!...geo
post #11 of 12 Old Nov 18th, 2009, 11:31 am
Lifetime Supporter

If you're considering a 3 series, please read a bit here:

http://noreverse.org

Makes the FD problem look like a hiccup. Not internet hysteria either...ask me how I know

Todd R.
Grapevine, TX USA

'78 R80/7
'06 FJR1300A

"You will now be thrown into the Obamaucracy. In his belly you will find a new definition of pain and suffering as you are slowly taxed to death over the next four years."
post #12 of 12 Old Nov 22nd, 2009, 7:31 am

I had a 2006 330i and loved.... The only thing was the the great warranty BMW gives ran out. We now have a 2009 328i two door... Really nice... We looked at the 335i but how my wife drives she would be in trouble all the time.. 335i twin turbo runs great.... I just have to have a full warranty under my BMW cars.
good luck

Tom & Donna
2006 BMW K1200LT
Unigo Trailer
Albuquerque, New Mexico

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in