New Parts (Right Knee) - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old Nov 15th, 2009, 10:52 am Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Thumbs up New Parts (Right Knee)

In the planning stage for over a year, I was admitted into a suburban hospital last Monday for a total knee replacement. At the last minute, I searched their website and found that it was rated in the top five nationally for joint replacements. This is a satellite hospital of the Cleveland Clinic Foundation. I even had a 7th floor view out over Lake Erie.

Long story short, I was cleared for release 5 days later when the PT and Occupational Therapy folks couldn't find any more hurdles for me to bust through. Although it was a Friday afternoon and needed an interview with the social worker and a sign off by the resident doc, they made it happen. Even enjoyed a night out dinner with the SO and was studying a take home booklet titled, "Intimacy After Joint Replacement". I'm going to recommend that they go into a second printing with photos rather than the archaic graphics. I'll even volunteer.

Five years ago I had scope surgery and struggled with crutches and then a cane and couldn't handle steps for over two weeks. On Friday afternoon I walked up two flights of stairs, put on my own socks & shoes and hit the 90 degree extension on the first try. I kibitzed with my surgeon each day (he's scheduled for a double replacement in two weeks) and he admitted his PA closed. No stitches or staples . . . just "steri-strips" that will fall off.

There is a lot of work ahead but medical technology has advanced by leaps & bounds. Granted I was 10-15 years younger than most that had the procedure in the PT class but I prepared with research, leg exercises, and free weights.

My procedure was routine and was necessitated by a work-out injury 6 years ago. If any of you are considering the options for a replacement . . . Do It!

p.s. Just finished the 1200+ posts I missed when on morphine pump therapy

pm
--
Life is too short to do anything
other than that about which you
are absolutely passionate . . .
Ride till you can't!

"Der Weg ist das Ziel"
2005 Pyrenees of France & Spain
2006 Tuscany
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2011 South Africa
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2014 The Dolomites of Italy, Alps of Switzerland & Austria and returning to Milan via the "Gold Coast" of the French Riveria.

2016 Northern & Central Spain & Portugal

2018 Central & Eastern Europe: Slovenia, Austria, Poland,Hungary, Czech Republic & Slovakia!

2019 Maritime Provinces of Canada & New England 3,500 miles

'18 R1200RTW
'00 K1200LTC (Dealer is taking on consignment!)
'90 K75-Sold to a new BMW owner (2016)
'62 R 50/2 (Rode hard and put away wet)-Sold in '81
'63 Vespa 150 (1st and only dirt bike!)
Sold in '67

Last edited by PMitchell; Nov 15th, 2009 at 2:08 pm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old Nov 15th, 2009, 11:24 am

Re: New Parts (Right Knee)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMitchell
In the planning stage for over a year, I was admitted into a suburban hospital last Monday for a total knee replacement. ...
. . . Do It!

p.s. Just finished the 1200+ posts I missed when on morphine pump therapy
Congrats, my bionic friend! You have been assimilated!

Just Go

Mike
Cleveland Ohio
2019 K1600b Grand America, Blue Max.
post #3 of 14 Old Nov 15th, 2009, 11:44 am Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwnahas
Congrats, my bionic friend! You have been assimilated!
Aye, aye Captain!
Although just noticed that my ears are starting to morph . . .

pm
--
Ride till you can't!

"Der Weg ist das Ziel"
2006 Tuscany

2011 South Africa

2014 The Dolomites of Italy, Alps of Switzerland & Austria and returning to Milan via the "Gold Coast" of the French Riveria.

2018 Central & Eastern Europe: Slovenia, Austria, Poland,Hungary, Czech Republic & Slovakia!

'18 R1200RTW
Sold in '67

post #4 of 14 Old Nov 15th, 2009, 12:08 pm
Gold Supporter

Congrats on the successful replacement!!!

Jerry
Look in the wolf's eyes and what do you see--A guardian spirit or fierce enemy?
2008 FLHTCU White Pearl

post #5 of 14 Old Nov 15th, 2009, 2:06 pm Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonewuff
Congrats on the successful replacement!!!
Thanks Jerry and I'm just getting used to the concept of napping! I'm "on vacation" for the remiander of the year and don't feel guilty at all.

pm
--
Ride till you can't!

"Der Weg ist das Ziel"
2006 Tuscany

2011 South Africa

'18 R1200RTW
Sold in '67

post #6 of 14 Old Nov 15th, 2009, 4:53 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Paul,

Glad that the surgery went so well. The knee is a difficult joint to repair because of all of the different motions.

I may be in touch later as I was told 10 years ago this month, that I would probably need a new knee in about 5 years. I'm 5 years to the good and delaying it as long as possible. So far no discomfort and I've found that swimming with fins and not using my arm, really strengthened my upper leg muscles, taking a lot of the strain from my left knee. The rehab and swimming were the key to my rehabilitation.

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)
post #7 of 14 Old Nov 15th, 2009, 10:49 pm

Got any left over morphine?

Sounds like you breezed through it. If you ever need any insider info my wife is an RN at an excellent orthopedic hospital here in Tucson. Ara Parseghian's (of Notre Dame fame)
son is the head cheese.

Here's a picture of my lovely wife Amy - you should come here for some rehab and she'll take good care of you!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Nurse_Ratched.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	6.8 KB
ID:	25321  

"Like Butt-ahh!"
post #8 of 14 Old Nov 15th, 2009, 10:51 pm

Whoops! WRONG picture, that was my first wife.

- here's Amy!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	nurse-6.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	4.5 KB
ID:	25322  

"Like Butt-ahh!"
post #9 of 14 Old Nov 16th, 2009, 1:04 am Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonKMiller
Got any left over morphine?

Sounds like you breezed through it. If you ever need any insider info my wife is an RN at an excellent orthopedic hospital here in Tucson. Ara Parseghian's (of Notre Dame fame)
son is the head cheese.

Here's a picture of my lovely wife Amy - you should come here for some rehab and she'll take good care of you!
Gee Ron, rehab in the low desert or NE Ohio (Next to Bainbridge)-- tough decision!
Had some great nursees. One blonde even brought me coffee from the nurse's station @ 6 before "Nutrition Services" appeared around 8. Told her I had a caffeine addiction and really needed a jolt in the morning. She came back with refills

Also loved the spa services including the morning wash cloth baths. Funny story about the catheter removal but this is a family site.

pm
--
Ride till you can't!

"Der Weg ist das Ziel"
2006 Tuscany

2011 South Africa

'18 R1200RTW
Sold in '67

post #10 of 14 Old Nov 16th, 2009, 1:05 am Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonKMiller
Whoops! WRONG picture, that was my first wife.

- here's Amy!
Checking flights on Travelocity RIGHT NOW!

pm
--
Ride till you can't!

"Der Weg ist das Ziel"
2006 Tuscany

2011 South Africa

'18 R1200RTW
Sold in '67

post #11 of 14 Old Nov 16th, 2009, 7:11 pm
Lifetime Supporter

So good to hear you are healing quickly. Medical technology and procedures have come such a long way. I'll put mine off for as long as possible, thank you very much.

Since Ron is sending pictures of his imaginary friends , I just wanted to say if you see this person stop by the house... RUN as fast as you can!

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2009 BMW K1200LT - 60k miles
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)
2005 BMW K1200LT - "Gray Ghost", traded at 120k miles
2005 Honda Shadow 650 (sold)
AMA, IBA, BMW MOA. CCRs: Braselton 2006, Osage Beach 2007, Duluth 2012

[/URL]
post #12 of 14 Old Nov 16th, 2009, 8:22 pm
Jim
Slow Old Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMitchell
. Even enjoyed a night out dinner with the SO and was studying a take home booklet titled, "Intimacy After Joint Replacement". I'm going to recommend that they go into a second printing with photos rather than the archaic graphics. I'll even volunteer.
So, I have to ask, what did they replace the knee with?

Jim Anderson
Idyllwild, CA
'04 Ural Tourist
'08 Tiger
post #13 of 14 Old Nov 16th, 2009, 10:50 pm Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim
So, I have to ask, what did they replace the knee with?
A prosthetic!
Generically there are two major pieces of the replacement with major bone prep which are then glued into the drilled holes both in the femur and tibia.The cartilage is replaced with HDPE which is microwave cured for additional strength. The inside of the original patella is also lined with the same material.
I have a post surgery follow up on 12/9 and will ask for the specifics.
This site is one of the best explainations of the procedures that I have found Click-Clicky

pm
--
Ride till you can't!

"Der Weg ist das Ziel"
2006 Tuscany

2011 South Africa

'18 R1200RTW
Sold in '67

post #14 of 14 Old Nov 29th, 2009, 9:20 am Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Smile Re: New Parts (Right Knee)

Just climbed up up on the LT! It was moderately comfortable in the normal riding position. I need a bit more flexibility but I've only had two hard core therapy sessions resulting in 100 degrees of compression. There are three this week & next stating at 8:15 tomorrow.

I'm trying to organize a Rounder's New Year's Day Ride!

pm
--
Ride till you can't!

"Der Weg ist das Ziel"
2006 Tuscany

2011 South Africa

'18 R1200RTW
Sold in '67

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in