Remember the DJ's that avdocated violence against lane splitters? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old Feb 4th, 2006, 5:45 pm Thread Starter
Bouncer

Remember the DJ's that avdocated violence against lane splitters?

Well, as a result of the campaign by Bay Area Riders (also know as BARF), the DJ and the radio station have come up with a PSA that will be aired throughout morning and evening drive time.

http://www.hostile-takeover.com/Live105/Moto-PSA-1.mp3

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'04 Sprint RS Caspian Blue

"I am hoping for an asteroid impact to put all this climate change nonsense to bed."
-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old Feb 4th, 2006, 6:07 pm

Sweet !! ..... Now get them to air that on every metropolitan area station in the state, we might get some coperation from the cagers.

"00" Canyon Red LTI ~ Well Farklized ~ Bug Splattered
Our "semi" quiet riot
*** Trailer Too ***

T
wisties Required

post #3 of 15 Old Feb 4th, 2006, 7:20 pm

NICE! I'm really happy to see something this positive come out of something that started so negatively and stupid.

David Taylor
San Jose, CA
2010 R1200RT Polar Metallic
AMA, BMWMOA
Booze Brother #4

The shortest distance between two points is for people who don't ride!

post #4 of 15 Old Feb 5th, 2006, 1:40 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Finally Official - Lane Splitting

For the longest time I was under the impression that "lane splitting" was technically illegal. When did this change? In my opinion it is about time.

Click here and go to page 49.

09.I.06(4)
Lane splitting is where one vehicle drives side-by-side orpasses using a lane occupied by another vehicle. It is legal in

California for motorcycles to split lanes, but it creates a
hazardous situation for both motorcyclists and drivers of other
vehicles.

Ernie A
Milwaukie, OR
Member: MOA, AMA, IBA, NRA, MERA
GS911 & GS911 Wifi - Diagnostics Tools Available
2012 K16GTL (3/2018 to present) 68k (Totaled! 8/11/19 Deer strike)

2013 R1200GSW
> 28k miles!
2002 K12LT Toscana Green - > 241k miles (Sold)
2006 Suzuki DL1000 V Strom Silver/Blk - >21k (Sold)
SS1K (x4),BB,BtoB(<24),BBG, SS3k

post #5 of 15 Old Feb 5th, 2006, 4:32 pm
IBR# 366

Garage
What's also interesting is the very next paragraph:

09.I.06(5) Although it is not illegal for motorcycles to share lanes, it is
unsafe.

I assume the booklet quoted is some version of a CA DMV training guide. So I wouldn't take it as legal proof. In fact it's the "not illegal" argument that I'm most familiar with.

I just have to remember not to split lanes when I get into other states. It's pretty much second nature to me after all this time.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #6 of 15 Old Feb 5th, 2006, 5:20 pm
Lifetime Supporter

The lane splitting was a great thing in Italy

Though we come from a state, Kentucky, where you can't lane split, we found it refreshing a couple years ago on our motorcycle trip in Italy --- Those folks, apparently all grew up starting out on motorcycles or scooters, so they really look out for you and it worked wonderfully, allowing the traffic to move smoothly.

We were warned by our tour guide to only pass on the left side of the lane, however - as the other side is no man's land.

Over here, it almost seems like some people go out of their way to cut you off ---

Paul & June Moore
Briensburg, KY
'01 - K1200LT
'85 - Honda Rebel
'81 - Aspencade
MOA - 109605 & 6
RA # - 27733
post #7 of 15 Old Feb 5th, 2006, 5:44 pm
IBR# 366

Garage
Not sure where you rode in Italy, but having experienced both I'd take L.A. traffic over Italian traffic any day. In Italy, even the cars and busses try to split lanes, sometimes into oncoming traffic. That's just plain nuts.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #8 of 15 Old Feb 5th, 2006, 6:02 pm

Hells Angel's members in DAGO (their slang for San Diego) have a method of dealing with cagers that dis bikers:

The "Policeman": A very legal and large ball peen hammer hung on the side of their scoots and available to smash cager's side view mirrors.

Kind of an interesting juxtaposition between attitudes in NorCal and SoCal, no?

"Like Butt-ahh!"
post #9 of 15 Old Feb 5th, 2006, 7:25 pm
IBR# 366

Garage
I have to admit to slapping a few car mirrors in my day. Most of the newer cars have hinged mirrors that fold forward without damage, and it makes a real loud sound that definitely wakes up brain-dead cagers. But overall it's far from the best approach, and something I try to avoid. If I really feel like doing it these days, then it's a wake-up call that perhaps I'm not in the proper frame of mind to be riding in heavy traffic.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet

post #10 of 15 Old Feb 5th, 2006, 7:50 pm

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by meese
I have to admit to slapping a few car mirrors in my day. Most of the newer cars have hinged mirrors that fold forward without damage, and it makes a real loud sound that definitely wakes up brain-dead cagers. But overall it's far from the best approach, and something I try to avoid. If I really feel like doing it these days, then it's a wake-up call that perhaps I'm not in the proper frame of mind to be riding in heavy traffic.
You are an honest man Ken... very refreshing.

But, as the Jerky Boys once said: "Stop THAT!"

I unfortunately have come to the conclusion that riding in city traffic is no longer an option for me. Almost 40 years of two wheel riding experience has taught me that it is NO match for cell phones, putting on makeup while driving and general rude behavior in public.

What ever happened to civility? I am continually bummed out by indifference and reasonable attitudes toward our fellow citizens. I'll still hold doors open for people as a courtesy. Just because I can. Even if they don't thank me.

Our nation is slowly dying.

Rant over.

"Like Butt-ahh!"
post #11 of 15 Old Feb 5th, 2006, 7:59 pm
IBR# 366

Garage
When you live in greater L.A., you have no choice but to ride through city traffic. I did manage to move further outside of the main L.A./O.C. mess and to eliminate my commute, but sometimes I just need to head into the thick of it to get to an appointment, or to get out the other side when heading east.

I will say my experience here has prepared me well for anything I may encounter on the road in any of the states or countries I've visited since, but I agree, it's not my first choice of riding condition.

My wife thinks I'm crazy for wanting to visit NYC on the bike, but I figure it surely can't be any worse than Paris, or London, or Florence, or Seoul, or . . .

Ken
Pacific NorthWet

post #12 of 15 Old Feb 5th, 2006, 8:30 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Italy lane split

We heard about them crossing into our lane but never experienced it - Milan/Pisa/Rapallo, etc. ---

In Milan I was so aggravated with the bike's - a Ducati Monster -- clutch --- the clunkiest thing I'd been around --- but later when I thought more about putting into neutral at stop lights , helped a lot ---

Anyway --- no real problems with the drivers over there --- prolly just lucky, it sounds, huh?

Paul & June Moore
Briensburg, KY
'01 - K1200LT
'85 - Honda Rebel
'81 - Aspencade
MOA - 109605 & 6
RA # - 27733
post #13 of 15 Old Feb 18th, 2006, 5:08 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by meese
i have been known in the past to kick in a door or two while under way. people cut you off sometime. someone once moved my bike over so he could park his car in my spot. bye bye headlights. kicked 'em in. all of that was 30 years ago. i do like the ballpeen idea that ronkmiller wrote of but if i do that then i'll probably have to change bikes. i needed that a couple of months ago when some cager thought about my welfare by continually pulling up into my lane after i'd passed him. when i could stop, he was yelling don't pull in front of a 3000 lb vehicle. i got the tag # and called the cops. they called me back a few weeks later and said the owner didn't have that vehicle. i'll find him one day.
post #14 of 15 Old Feb 20th, 2006, 11:42 am

Before I came to the USA, I rode to work both in city and road traffic and splitted lanes as neccesary (perfectly legal in Spain) without finding brainless people traying to cut me off. However, the greater Phoenix metro area is full of people with road rage in their hearts, it seems. Usually, I ride with my left thumb on the horn and use that weapon (have you amused yourself by honking your bike in your garage with the doors closed) to blast people awake who come to close (less than two feet) from my knees.

Also, I will stop next to whoever the jerk is, flip up the visor and ask in a loud voice DO YOU WANT TO KILL ME? DIDN'T YOU SEE ME? WHAT ARE YOU THINKING?

That brings some crimsom color to their faces... while everyone else is looking at them, ha ha.

Ignacio
Imagine, 2001 K1200 LT Pacific

It's not happier he who has the most but he who needs the least.
post #15 of 15 Old Feb 20th, 2006, 1:23 pm
IBR# 366

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by nbroca
Also, I will stop next to whoever the jerk is, flip up the visor and ask in a loud voice DO YOU WANT TO KILL ME?
Careful with that Ignacio. Someday, someone will answer yes, and try to do just that.

I will occasionally look right at them and point to my eyes (as in "look at where you're going"). If they're at all amenable, then that's usually sufficient. But I've had to learn that once you're safely past them it's over and done with, so just let it go. No sense in carrying all this around with you afterwards.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in