Medical info needed - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 50 Old Nov 9th, 2009, 3:07 pm Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Medical info needed

I need info/help on the following 2 issues. Since this forum seems to have a tremendous
amount of knowledge available I thought I'd ask.
PM's welcome

Prostate Cancer: Radiation vs Surgery

Heart Catheterization: Risky?, commonplace?

Reason: I have been diagnosed with early Prostate cancer. During the CT scan prior to surgery an aneursym of the ascending aorta was noted.
My cardiologist noted a lack blood flow to the bottom of heart under stress and wants to do a heart cath with possible stent.
Aneursym is not an issue until it increases by 10%.
Thanks for any info.

Dan Martin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 50 Old Nov 9th, 2009, 3:17 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Re: Medical info needed

Doggone, Big Brother!!!!!

The Cancer.. my Dad had some "radioactive pellets" that nuked the cancer.. few side effects.. no, did not glow in the dark. "everything" still functions.. actually later had a "scraping" done and things improved!

Aorta... if you are in a hard enough impact, it can rip open.... not the best way "to go"...

So, care should be taken ... dont' go falling off the bike again, etc..

I don't see why they can't work on both... get better..

Prayin for you and the vets.
post #3 of 50 Old Nov 9th, 2009, 3:53 pm

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfell
Doggone, Big Brother!!!!!

The Cancer.. my Dad had some "radioactive pellets" that nuked the cancer.. few side effects.. no, did not glow in the dark. "everything" still functions.. actually later had a "scraping" done and things improved!

Aorta... if you are in a hard enough impact, it can rip open.... not the best way "to go"...

So, care should be taken ... dont' go falling off the bike again, etc..

I don't see why they can't work on both... get better..

Prayin for you and the vets.
Dan, sounds like prayer time.. Keep us informed. Although anything caught early is good.

Bill Jennings, fhp
Denison, TX

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

BMW States
BMW years and miles, 32 years 500K+

AMA, CMA, IBA, POG, MSF, FHP, etc

'99 K1200lt
'76 R900/6
Various Vintage Dirt Bikes
-Greeves (Sold), Pentons, Hodaka, etc.

Remember you are not lost till you run out of gas!

post #4 of 50 Old Nov 9th, 2009, 4:00 pm

Dan,
Sorry to hear about you needing to go into the shop for repairs. Since you have time do some research on which doctor is the best in your area and of your local hospitals as well. I can not help you with the cancer, Cath's and stents are very common these days. They usually admit you to the hospital just in case of a problem. Most often you are out the same day. Procedure is done from a small incision in your artery in the groin area. I have heard they can do it from your arm now as well. Hopefully we have a surgeon here that will chime in with some professional advice. I wish you well and will say a little prayer for you. Good luck.

Brian Ley
WA State of mindless sheep
USA where everything is illegal
2007 K1200GT
2010 650GS
2000 k1200LT Sold but not forgotten
BMWOA 119892
post #5 of 50 Old Nov 9th, 2009, 4:13 pm

Yep - like Jennings sez - time to break out the candles and do a lotta prayin'. Faith up, Dan, and I know you got some of that. Me too, so we'll help the Doc work on it, Bud.
post #6 of 50 Old Nov 9th, 2009, 4:13 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Dan, First of all, I'm sorry to hear the latest on your health. You surely have the support of everyone on this forum as you are always sharing your knowledge freely.

Check out the June 21st issue of Parade Magazine. Very good article on Breakthrough News in Prostate Cancer. A lot of good information. If you can't find it, I'll scan it and send to you immediately.

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)
post #7 of 50 Old Nov 9th, 2009, 4:40 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanMartin
I need info/help on the following 2 issues. Since this forum seems to have a tremendous
amount of knowledge available I thought I'd ask.
PM's welcome

Prostate Cancer: Radiation vs Surgery

Heart Catheterization: Risky?, commonplace?

Reason: I have been diagnosed with early Prostate cancer. During the CT scan prior to surgery an aneursym of the ascending aorta was noted.
My cardiologist noted a lack blood flow to the bottom of heart under stress and wants to do a heart cath with possible stent.
Aneursym is not an issue until it increases by 10%.
Thanks for any info.

Dan Martin
Dan;

I recently suffered a sneak attack from an Ascending Aortic Anurism. The attack was rather sudden and followed a pretty hectic couple of physically strenuous weeks of work.

This is nothing to take lightly. The strenuous labor coupled with just a bit of hypertention set into motion the events. I was flown to Eastern Idaho Regional Med Center and within just a very few minutes on the ground, where I was met coming out of the chopper by the surgeon, I was in surgery which lasted in the neighborhood of 10 hours...................

I can't ride 'Ol' Dollar' for another couple of months but I'm here...........had this happened a year ago.......well.......they probably never would have ordered the egg beater........

My $.02 would be to take this serious and do what the Dr. recommends.........survival rate of an Aortic Disection is pretty damn low..........only about 2000 are even diagnosed in the United States annually........Keep a good attitude and know you and your family are in myself and mines thoughts and prayers.......................keep in touch.........Jim
post #8 of 50 Old Nov 9th, 2009, 6:06 pm

Dan,

Not much I can offer besides prayers and the best wishes.

For what its worth: I have several friends that were diagnosed with early stage prostate cancer. I some cases the second opinion doctor recommended something that sounded like watch and see. With other words do nothing for now, and keep an eye on it. I will call one person tomorrow and see how his case is going.

Again, all the best!

Wolfgang

K1200LT 1999 Champaign SOLD
R1100RS 1994 Teal SOLD
R1150RT 2003 Blue (Sold)
R1100RT 1997 Blue

Pest, Budapest Hungary

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness."
Mark Twain

post #9 of 50 Old Nov 9th, 2009, 6:27 pm

Well, Big Guy, I can't help ya with the medical advice, but like so many others here, you're in my thoughts and prayers.

'99K1200LT - "Bertha" - gone, but not forgotten!
'86 Concours - "Horse with no name" (under reconstructive surgery)
'06 K1200GT - "Road Rocket"
Marshall, Tx

post #10 of 50 Old Nov 9th, 2009, 6:41 pm Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Thanks for the info Jim. Glad you are doing well. Met with my Cardiologist this morning. Learned 2 weeks ago that the aorta was 50% larger than normal,
but wasn't too concerned as I am a 4xl kind of guy. Probably shouldn't split firewood like I was doing last night.
BP was 110/78 this morning. Doing the heart cath thing on the 18th. Doc thinks we will get a better picture of the aorta then.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Palerider
Dan;

I recently suffered a sneak attack from an Ascending Aortic Anurism. The attack was rather sudden and followed a pretty hectic couple of physically strenuous weeks of work.

This is nothing to take lightly. The strenuous labor coupled with just a bit of hypertention set into motion the events. I was flown to Eastern Idaho Regional Med Center and within just a very few minutes on the ground, where I was met coming out of the chopper by the surgeon, I was in surgery which lasted in the neighborhood of 10 hours...................

I can't ride 'Ol' Dollar' for another couple of months but I'm here...........had this happened a year ago.......well.......they probably never would have ordered the egg beater........

My $.02 would be to take this serious and do what the Dr. recommends.........survival rate of an Aortic Disection is pretty damn low..........only about 2000 are even diagnosed in the United States annually........Keep a good attitude and know you and your family are in myself and mines thoughts and prayers.......................keep in touch.........Jim
post #11 of 50 Old Nov 9th, 2009, 7:02 pm Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Found it Dan. Thanks. I've been watching my PSA level go up steadily for 9 years. Finally
got high enough to do a biopsy. I know that being in Houston, I've got access to lots of
very good doctors and they all seem to be in my insurance plan. This heart issue just means that it will be a year wait for prostate surgery.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dandiver
Dan, First of all, I'm sorry to hear the latest on your health. You surely have the support of everyone on this forum as you are always sharing your knowledge freely.

Check out the June 21st issue of Parade Magazine. Very good article on Breakthrough News in Prostate Cancer. A lot of good information. If you can't find it, I'll scan it and send to you immediately.
post #12 of 50 Old Nov 9th, 2009, 7:12 pm

heart cath, done a lot now a days...
Prostate...what is your psb # ? the numbers go from 0 to 5. 4 and above is bad. have the prostate blood test run again. mine was a 400 % increase a couple of years ago. retested and all is fine. PC by its self is very slow growing.

try a second opinion, both are common

I hope all of you forum friends 50 and over have your prostates checked yearly and your hearts and colons. colons is 5 years with polups, 10 year with out

keep the faith
Jim

Loansumrider: Jim
01 LT Fast Pacific Blue ... " The Goose "

? when to ASUME, and HOW MUCH should you ASUME, safely ?
post #13 of 50 Old Nov 9th, 2009, 7:23 pm
Gold Supporter

Daaaauuuuummmmm Dan,

Like others, I can offer no help medically, but big guy, you know you are in Ann's and my thoughts. Do the doctor thing X 2 on the Prostrate, based on all the stuff going on these days many doctors think too many doctors are cutting when they don't need to. Your heart...man that is scary...fix it Dan fix it!!!

Jerry
Look in the wolf's eyes and what do you see--A guardian spirit or fierce enemy?
2008 FLHTCU White Pearl

post #14 of 50 Old Nov 9th, 2009, 7:33 pm

Dan;

Thanx and am doing pretty well..........My firewood pile is sort of on the back burner for the moment but some of the church friends pitched in a bit and helped out a bunch. I'd say put that little chore on the back burner for the moment. If this thing goes to a dissection..........well, let me just say it hurts like the dickens...........B-Safe and as always...........Jim
post #15 of 50 Old Nov 9th, 2009, 7:54 pm
Gold Supporter

Hey Jim,

Guess this would explain where you disappeared to awhile back, huh? Glad you are doing better and still on the right side of the daisies.

Jerry
2008 FLHTCU White Pearl

post #16 of 50 Old Nov 9th, 2009, 8:59 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonewuff
Hey Jim,

Guess this would explain where you disappeared to awhile back, huh? Glad you are doing better and still on the right side of the daisies.
Jerry;

Hey, thanx...........spent about 10 days TDY Idaho Falls with two in ICU............Had lots of support from friends which is something you just can not take for granted.......ever...

They have me on lift restrictions to the tune of about 10 lbs max.............which is driving me nuts .........but I do cheat.........and walk .............a lot.........and when I get tired of walking, I walk it off..........sounds like I'll have to behave until the new year then it will be Katy Bar the Door...............Providing Cyndy doesn't stitch me into a bed sheet and beat the hell out of me before then............... .............she's been a Saint through this ............don't know how they do it....................

B-Safe; Jim
post #17 of 50 Old Nov 10th, 2009, 9:21 am

Hey Day, gimme a shout when you get time. Rhonda had TWO stints put in back in 2004.
Also, I read SOMEWHERE that prolonged sitting on a motorcycle seat can restrict the blood flow on "the boys" and give false readings. The cure was to sit in a comphy car seat for a week and see if the numbers came down some.

Still praying...

"BONES" <///><

2018 R1200RT
2002 K1200LTC--- Belle

"My wife and I have an understanding. I won't try to run her life and I won't try to run mine."
post #18 of 50 Old Nov 17th, 2009, 10:00 am

Give us an update tomorrow.

"BONES" <///><

2018 R1200RT
2002 K1200LTC--- Belle

"My wife and I have an understanding. I won't try to run her life and I won't try to run mine."
post #19 of 50 Old Nov 18th, 2009, 8:51 pm Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

I want to thank everybody for the info posted here and in multiple
PM's. Certainly reduced my fears and anxiety.
Went in this morning and did the heart cath/angiogram thing. Hardest part was laying
still for 6 hours afterward.

Good news: There was no buildup or blockage on any Coronary arteries.
Bad news: Need to see a surgeon soon and get the Aorta anuerysm fixed.

Thanks
Dan
post #20 of 50 Old Nov 18th, 2009, 8:54 pm
Gold Supporter

That's great news, but get that aorta fixed pronto!!!

Jerry
2008 FLHTCU White Pearl

post #21 of 50 Old Nov 18th, 2009, 9:05 pm

x2 on what Jerry said.........but glad to hear your doing good...........take it easy until you get the patch and then figure about 12 weeks of REAL light duty............The way I figure it; I'll be healed well enough to entertain grand kids on my lap in time for the holidays.......that gives me something to look forward to..............
post #22 of 50 Old Nov 18th, 2009, 9:09 pm

Dan,

Glad to hear the good news. I am sure that the aortic aneurism repair will go just as well, As you know, we are all praying for a full recovery.

Bil

wild bil
07 K1200LT Biarritz Blau
80 Yamaha XS850 Black - retired in 06
post #23 of 50 Old Nov 18th, 2009, 9:30 pm

Glad you got good news on the heart.

And like we discussed, you couldn't pick a better city to have the surgery in than Houston. It was invented here by Dr. DeBakey.

Keep us posted.

Ride 'em if you got 'em.
post #24 of 50 Old Nov 18th, 2009, 9:58 pm

3x on Jerry.....how is the prostate ???

Jim

post #25 of 50 Old Nov 18th, 2009, 10:00 pm

Wow, sorry, I totally missed this thread.
Glad the heart cath went ok. I've had three of them, last two had stents put in.
The first one I had the sand bag and couldn't move. Now, they got these self dissolving plugs. Keep positive attitude. You're in our prayers.

Just Go

Mike
Cleveland Ohio
2019 K1600b Grand America, Blue Max.
post #26 of 50 Old Nov 18th, 2009, 11:42 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Dan..

=)

get that "fuel disconnect" repaired!!!
post #27 of 50 Old Nov 19th, 2009, 8:20 am

Dan,

Glad to hear that you are getting the care that you need. Wish you all the best. If you should be down for any lenght of time and need help with anything, just let me know.

Wolfgang

R1100RS 1994 Teal SOLD
R1150RT 2003 Blue (Sold)
R1100RT 1997 Blue

Pest, Budapest Hungary

Mark Twain

post #28 of 50 Old Nov 19th, 2009, 8:34 am

Yay for Dan. Glad it went smooth. How soon before the next procedure?

"BONES" <///><

2018 R1200RT
2002 K1200LTC--- Belle

post #29 of 50 Old Nov 19th, 2009, 9:36 am
Lifetime Supporter

Glad the Cath. went well. Like everyone has said get that Aorta fixed pronto. I've had 3 friends with various non surgical Prostate treatments, all successful. M.D. Anderson down in the medical plaza is chock full of really smart folks.

Prayers, for every aspect headed your way. Keep us posted.

Benny C. (Central Texas)
2001 LTC Pacific Blue (Babe...the blue ox)
1986 Kawasaki Concours (Connie) sold
post #30 of 50 Old Nov 22nd, 2009, 8:35 pm

Dan,

Sent you a PM. I was treated for PC last year using Intensity Modulated Radiation Therapy (IMRT). I chose this over surgery and over seed implants. I'll be happy to share my reasons - call me. You have a variety of good options with early detection with approximately equal outcomes. Of course, there are pros and cons to everything. Good luck with your research - the right answer will become apparent.

As for my treatment, PSA is supposed to slowly drop over 2 years. After 11 months, it is right on track. Mine was a very early detections also.

Dave Moore
Boerne, Texas
Chain-driven '08 Blazing Orange Triumph Tiger 1050i
post #31 of 50 Old Nov 22nd, 2009, 9:13 pm Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by loansumrider
3x on Jerry.....how is the prostate ???

Jim
Hey Jim, prostate has moved to a distant second in importance. It will take at least
15-20 years to kill me. 3 weeks ago my Cardiologist said we would monitor the Aorta with
CT scans every 6 months. This week after the heart cath,stated to get it operated on "before the holidays"

Bones, I will meet with Cardiac surgeon Dec 9th.

Dave, thanks for the info.

dan martin
post #32 of 50 Old Nov 22nd, 2009, 9:28 pm
Gold Supporter

Dan,

+ 1 on what Wolfgang said. If you need ANYTHING just yell, K? Your misses too.

Jerry
2008 FLHTCU White Pearl

post #33 of 50 Old Nov 22nd, 2009, 11:46 pm

Dan;

I'm still in the wings. You and yours are still in the prayers...............Jim
post #34 of 50 Old Nov 23rd, 2009, 7:52 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonewuff
Dan,

+ 2 on what Wolfgang said. If you need ANYTHING just yell, K? Your misses too.
Jim

post #35 of 50 Old Nov 23rd, 2009, 9:04 am

Dan, you got my number so call me if you need/want anything. The 9th is kinda soon so what are the options?

"BONES" <///><

2018 R1200RT
2002 K1200LTC--- Belle

post #36 of 50 Old Nov 23rd, 2009, 9:13 am

Quote:
Hey Jim, prostate has moved to a distant second in importance. It will take at least
15-20 years to kill me. 3 weeks ago my Cardiologist said we would monitor the Aorta with
CT scans every 6 months. This week after the heart cath,stated to get it operated on "before the holidays"

dan martin
I got a new shipment of candles coming in before the 9th, Bud, so no worries. Tell the Doc to have a great Christmas, cuz you're gonna have one too!!!

And tell Cathy to key up the 'puter and keep us in the know, and the when!
post #37 of 50 Old Dec 1st, 2009, 4:08 pm

Hey Dan, how you doing out there?

"BONES" <///><

2018 R1200RT
2002 K1200LTC--- Belle

post #38 of 50 Old Dec 1st, 2009, 5:07 pm Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibbones
Hey Dan, how you doing out there?
Hanging in there. Waiting to see the surgeon Dec 9th. Not supposed to ride.
What a pisser. Rode today though, mistake. Changed offices this weekend.
New one is 22 lights from the house,no freeway,way too stressful.
post #39 of 50 Old Dec 1st, 2009, 5:51 pm

Quote:

dan martin
Be very careful about the CT Scans. I was diagnosed with Colon Cancer five years ago and my doctor wanted Ct scans every six months. After six Ct scans i started to do research and they can be very harmful and the dosage of radiation is very high.

Do some research on CT scans.

Hang in there you can beat it with alternative medicine. Check out a Yahoo group called cancercured.org they have a bundle of good protocol's and advice.

Al
Spokane
WA
post #40 of 50 Old Dec 9th, 2009, 9:06 am

OK Dan...today is the day. Let us know how it goes.

"BONES" <///><

2018 R1200RT
2002 K1200LTC--- Belle

post #41 of 50 Old Dec 9th, 2009, 5:18 pm Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Update: Saw the Cardiac surgeon today at St Lukes Heart Institute. Seems very competent. Said the surgery can wait 3-4 months. Wants me to lose some more weight.
Too close to the max for the heart/lung machine. They are going to replace the first
two inches of the Aorta as it leaves the heart.

Restrictions:
No lifting over 20 lbs
No motorcycle riding
No new girlfriends

Check-up every 6 weeks

Thanks for all the thoughts and prayers.

Dan Martin
post #42 of 50 Old Dec 9th, 2009, 5:24 pm
Gold Supporter

Well...I guess that is good news??? Or were you hoping to get it over with?

What are you doing to loose the weight? Have you heard of hCG?

Jerry
2008 FLHTCU White Pearl

post #43 of 50 Old Dec 9th, 2009, 5:58 pm

Quote:
Update: Saw the Cardiac surgeon today at St Lukes Heart Institute. Seems very competent. Said the surgery can wait 3-4 months. Wants me to lose some more weight.
Too close to the max for the heart/lung machine. They are going to replace the first
two inches of the Aorta as it leaves the heart.

Restrictions:
No lifting over 20 lbs
No motorcycle riding
No new girlfriends

Check-up every 6 weeks

Thanks for all the thoughts and prayers.

Dan Martin
Wolfgang might wanna stand in for ya, Dan!!!

Good thoughts on ya, Bud. Tell Cathy there are plenty of prayers heading y'all's way, with both of y'all in 'em.
post #44 of 50 Old Dec 9th, 2009, 6:02 pm

[SIZE=3]NO NEW girlfriends? OK I can live with that.. but no MC riding? you can do it..
prayers sent out there and hope for the best....

Don't be afraid to say what you feel, as those that matter DOnt mind and those that mind Dont matter.
Dr.Suess-
-

1980 YAMAHA XJ650 MAXIM (RIP)
1982 YAMAHA 750 VIRAGO (SHES GONE)
1982 SUZUKI GS1000 (GONE)
2001 BMW K1200LT
2004 BMW R 1150 RT Sold.....
2007 BMW R 1200 GS
1986 BMW K100RT WITH A FLEXIT SIDECAR

1985 BMW K100 RT ( parts bike, but its too nice to do that, so it runs)
post #45 of 50 Old Dec 9th, 2009, 6:47 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick

Good thoughts on ya, Bud. Tell Cathy there are plenty of prayers heading y'all's way, with both of y'all in 'em.
x2 ..........You can do this Dan..........lot's more prayers for the both of you from the wilds of Western Wyoming...............
post #46 of 50 Old Dec 10th, 2009, 9:12 am

Stay with it Dan...you can do it. Still glad it's not one of those "OMG we need to get this done right away" things.

"BONES" <///><

2018 R1200RT
2002 K1200LTC--- Belle

post #47 of 50 Old Dec 10th, 2009, 9:17 am
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car

Dan, you & Kathy are in our prayers. If there's anything we can do from here to help just yell.

Stevie Shreeve
post #48 of 50 Old Dec 10th, 2009, 9:28 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick

I appreciate you thinking of me Send me some pictures and I let you you know if I am willing to stand in.

Wolfgang

R1100RS 1994 Teal SOLD
R1150RT 2003 Blue (Sold)
R1100RT 1997 Blue

Pest, Budapest Hungary

Mark Twain

post #49 of 50 Old Dec 10th, 2009, 9:33 am

On a more serious note: PLEASE ask for help if you need any. It would be my pleasure.

Wolfgang

R1100RS 1994 Teal SOLD
R1150RT 2003 Blue (Sold)
R1100RT 1997 Blue

Pest, Budapest Hungary

Mark Twain

post #50 of 50 Old Jan 25th, 2010, 8:53 am

OK Dan...what's up? Where you at? How are things going?

"BONES" <///><

2018 R1200RT
2002 K1200LTC--- Belle

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in