Las Vegas - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old Feb 4th, 2006, 6:56 am Thread Starter

Las Vegas

Hi guys I just bought a 05 LT off e-bay and had it delivered to the house. I live in northern Michigan and it is not riding season yet, it did get up to 40 yesterday and dry roads so off I went, boy I love this bike. I came from a 1200 Goldwing and what a differance in handling. Anyway I am going to Vegas next weekend and I have rented a bike for a couple of days and was wondering if anyone would have any sugggestions for day rides with sites to see while I am there. How far is the Grand Canyon?

Thanks cna't wait to ride
Rodgtc
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old Feb 4th, 2006, 7:38 am

Moonlite Bunny Ranch?...just kidding.

Al Hennigan
'03 Anthracite LTE
'09 GS Adventure
Middle Tennessee
post #3 of 14 Old Feb 4th, 2006, 7:39 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodgtc
How far is the Grand Canyon?
Mapsource shows Las Vegas to Grand Canyon National Park to be 270 miles.

Jinks ('86fxrs, '07 FLTR)

Remember, "No good deed goes unpunished"

post #4 of 14 Old Feb 4th, 2006, 7:58 am

I don't think that you will be able to get to the Grand Canyon due to elevation (snow) . I dont' remember if we went to the North or South Rim, but whichever place has Jacob Lake before you get there is where we went!

Of course while in Vegas you need to see Hoover Dam and Lake Mead. You can also visit Red Rock State Park in Vegas.

Seeing the "bunny ranch" will have you hopping to the local hospital for shots!

Good luck.

Brett
2003 K1200LTC SOLD
2013 K1600GTL SOLD
2018 K1600GA SOLD
2019 K1600GA Blue

North Georgia

2005 CCR-Tetons
2006 CCR-Braselton
2008 CCR-Midway
2009 CCR-Rapid City
2011 CCR-Boise
2012 CCR-Duluth
2014 CCR-Chattanooga
2015 CCR-Coeur d 'Alene

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 14 Old Feb 4th, 2006, 7:58 am

Wink

The tourists sites they recommmend are all great. Go to the Hoover Dam for sure, find an access site at Lake Mead and check it out....Red Rock Canyon (or red rock something they call it there) is awesome too. kThe Vegas motor speedway is only 15 minutes off the strip by taking I-15 north. You can drive around the outside edge of the track and see all the car barns etc...its all wide open to the public. Much different than such sites around here. The Grand Canyon would best be done in a cager due to the distance and weather. Its gets darker out there earlier too.....Just watch out when you get to elevations around 5000 feet (maybe less depending on the weather) cause it gets cold and you can hit some slick spots on the shady side of turns in the mountains. Mt Charleston is a site too. Just plan on getting out of town early before the tourist traffic really slows ya down. Have a great trip, and remember, they always have $5.00 blackjack at the Stratosphere. Get the "red card" at the Wynn.....accumulate 50 points and get their buffet dinner for two for free. Otherwise it will cost you $38.00 apiece! Ummmmm.... I got 50 points by spending $18.00 in nickel slots.

If its got tits or an engine you're gonna have trouble with it

05 Graphite K1200LT
post #6 of 14 Old Feb 4th, 2006, 8:06 am

Yeah, I forgot about Mt Charleston. Here again you gotta watch the weather. There are two road that leads to the Top of Mt Charleston and they both dead-end. THere is a ski-slope at the end of one of the roads.

Brett
2003 K1200LTC SOLD
2013 K1600GTL SOLD
2018 K1600GA SOLD
2019 K1600GA Blue

North Georgia

2005 CCR-Tetons
2006 CCR-Braselton
2008 CCR-Midway
2009 CCR-Rapid City
2011 CCR-Boise
2012 CCR-Duluth
2014 CCR-Chattanooga
2015 CCR-Coeur d 'Alene

post #7 of 14 Old Feb 4th, 2006, 8:23 am

Death Valley!!! Spend a night at Beatty or Furnace Creek.
post #8 of 14 Old Feb 4th, 2006, 8:46 am

Thumbs up two options

My wife and I grew up in Vegas. Both still have relatives living there. Here are 2 really good options and worth the ride:

1. If you have the time you need to visit Death Valley National Park. It’s a great winter ride especially if you have never been. Lots of history and great scenery. About 130 miles NW of Vegas.

2. Valley of Fire State Park. About 75 miles NE of Vegas. Less tourist and a lot of western movies were filmed in the area. Great Scenery again.

There are other rides but the desert can be a lonely and unfriendly place to be in the middle of the night if you run out of time or have breakdown. Carry a couple of bottles of water with you. The dry air sucks the moisture out of you.

May we never find the end of the road!

Perry Ridgway

oknplm
post #9 of 14 Old Feb 4th, 2006, 11:01 am

Area "51" about 80 miles North West of LV.
post #10 of 14 Old Feb 4th, 2006, 1:49 pm
IBR# 366

Garage
OK, Mike gets the daily award for most appropriate use of a smiley.

Any of the suggestions given above are great. Weather for the Grand Canyon South Rim should be sunny al week, with highs in the 50's and lows in the teens. Might be a long, cold ride.

Death Valley is much closer, and a whole lot different from Michigan.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #11 of 14 Old Feb 4th, 2006, 2:45 pm

Thumbs up

Add another vote for Death Valley. This is the perfect time of year for DV. Northern AZ, as others have posted, may still be a bit too snowy. You’re trying to get away from that for a while I would bet.

Here’s a link to my pics from DV last weekend.
http://homepage.mac.com/tlash/PhotoAlbum13.html
You can see a few more photos in this thread:
http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4894

Tom Lashbrook
Napa, CA
Minden, NV

On the road to wreck, and ruin -— but making great time.
post #12 of 14 Old Feb 4th, 2006, 7:11 pm

I go with Death Valley. Lived out there for years and the Canyon might be a stretch in the winter. Red Rock is a nice day trip.

Just stay off the strip. People are not paying attention to cars or pedestrians, much less motorcycles.

Rick
post #13 of 14 Old Feb 5th, 2006, 3:27 am

Grand Canyon probably will be a chalenge... North Rim is closed (and alto too far). South rin you have high chances to get snow. You should play by the day: wake up, call the rangers there and ask for the roads conditions.
But Hoover Dan is nice and if you can, get Hwy 167 towards Echo Bay (it's in Lake Mead).
That is a nice winter ride (don't try it on summer...too hot).
If you want to go further, Zion National Park is about 160 miles north each way, on I-15 and if there is no storms, will be no snow there. It's an amazing place.
Close to Vegas (20 miles round trip) there is Red Rock Canyon National Conserv Area. Get Hwy 159 to do it.

Have fun.

--------------------------------
Elton 'StrsOut' Marks '02 Silver-Member #337 (or 287?)

2002 LT - 62,394 miles as of 08/05/2007
2003 GS - 20,960 miles as of 07/11/2008
Loma Linda - CA
IBA#14,458 - AMA

post #14 of 14 Old Feb 5th, 2006, 12:13 pm

Red Rock is a must...

You have to do that. It is only 13 miles long, but it's one way and beautiful. There are plenty of places to pull over and check things out. I would also recommend BMW Motorcycles of Las Vegas. I was there (from Michigan) two weeks ago, and i'll tell ya, it's one of the nicest dealerships i've been in. It's a little tricky to find (mainly because everything there is only a few weeks old) but it's worth the look. Plus, you gotta get the t-shirt...

You can do Hoover Dam, Lake Meade, and everything else I've listed easily in a day. Actually, that would be a nice trip if you throw in a stop for breakfast, and lunch. Grand Canyon might be a little too much, but I guess still do-able.

Good luck!

Jeff Adkins
San Diego (Scripps Ranch), CA

2000 K1200LT Icon Basalt Grey

IBA Member # 19537
AMA # 242000
BMW MOA # 111485

"Fear is a reaction, courage is a decision"

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in