BMW Luxury Touring Community

BMW Luxury Touring Community (https://www.bmwlt.com/forums/)
-   Chit Chat (https://www.bmwlt.com/forums/chit-chat/)
-   -   Y3K has arrived (i.e., Yates' 3rd Kidney)! (https://www.bmwlt.com/forums/chit-chat/50796-y3k-has-arrived-i-e-yates-3rd-kidney.html)

Bruce_Yates Oct 31st, 2009 7:19 pm

Y3K has arrived (i.e., Yates' 3rd Kidney)!

Since so many of you have shown concern for my health these past few years (and sent me that great "fish quilt!"), and I promised I'd keep you posted, I thought I should let you know that there has been a "slight" change in my condition... :D

Reader's Digest Version (for those in a hurry):
Had successful kidney transplant last week, drugs are my friend(?), stomach not made of stone, meds tweaked...feeling better and on road to recovery!

SLIGHTLY LONGER VERSION
10 days ago (on Oct. 21st), a good friend of mine had one of her kidneys removed, and shortly thereafter the top-notch transplant team at the UW Medical Center in Seattle installed it on the left side of my abdomen (installation consisted mainly of hooking up assorted tubing)!

The most surprising thing to most people is the fact that that they left both of my old kidneys where they are, so I really do now have 3 :confused: (they put the new one outside my lower abdominal wall, so it was less invasive surgery, plus kept the old ones around to provide a little function in case something unexpected went wrong with the transplant). In a year or two, they'll probably take one or both of the old, defective ones out, but for now, everything stays! :bike:

Surgically, all appears to have gone well - the donor is recovering well, and I've been home from the hospital several days now. I'm already noticing improvement, and am off of the "hard stuff" (read narcotics). I REALLY DO feel like I've now moved off of the on-ramp and onto the actual road to recovery! :yeah:

Not that it's been as simple as I thought it might...I had trouble with horrible nausea for a full week after surgery due to the cocktail of drugs I'm taking. The ongoing challenge facing doctors is to keep doses of multiple really strong drugs high enough to prevent my body from rejecting the new kidney, yet low enough so the drugs themselves do minimal damage to the new kidney and the rest of my body. Quite the chemical tightrope, one I'm amazed they can do at all, let alone well...

Anyway, two days ago they adjusted my meds slightly...and the difference has been like night and day! I feel like a new man! As someone who always had a stomach seemingly made of stone, and almost never ate anything that upset it, I never thought it would feel so good just NOT to feel queasy! But I now feel almost normal - I'm not quite ready for CCR hot sauce or 5-star Thai food again yet, but it's sure nice to have ordinary food actually sound appetizing!

BTW, the bright side of a week of non-stop nausea (there's a bright side to almost everything if you look hard enough!)is that I've lost over 15 pounds in the past ten days. Heck, that's even better than my "S.O.B" ("Sick On Boats" patent pending) diet, which I've painstakingly perfected over many years of dive trips to Third World countries! :rolleyes: I have long wanted/needed to lose about 50 pounds, and this has given me a definite jump-start. I'm hoping, however, that the remaining 35 pounds get lost much more gradually...and for some other reason! ;)

As for recovery time, that's going to take awhile. It's too soon to say for sure that I'm out of the woods (there is still a small chance that the transplanted kidney won't work out for some reason), and it will take months to get my immunosuppressive drug regimen nailed down (I'll be on those the rest of my life). As my body struggles to cope with this dizzying array of drugs (about 50 pills a day), I'm likely to be up and down physically for some time. And it will be many weeks before I'm able to get on a bike again.

But for now, the news is good, and I thought those of you I know would like to know that. Despite a little set-back (I'm sure there'll be others), I am seeing progress, and am looking forward to getting better and better in the weeks and months ahead! So thanks again to all of you who've been so supportive and have been part of this "transition" period with me. I am truly blessed to count as friends so many of you here on BMWLT!
:dance:

grahamw Oct 31st, 2009 7:57 pm

Re: Y3K has arrived (i.e., Yates' 3rd Kidney)!

Glad to hear things are doing well and I hope you continue to improve.

Regards

Canabarry Oct 31st, 2009 8:14 pm

Best wishes for a speedy recovery. I'm sure all your friends here on the site feel the same.

I knew that hot sauce was dangerous but ....

AlaskaFish Oct 31st, 2009 8:26 pm

All right Bruce! Great news buddy. Now just listen to your Dr's advise! Marilyn is running in circles shouting YEA! And she says to tell you that you are still included along with "Mr. Goose".

John

sanjaun2 Nov 1st, 2009 2:08 am

Bruce,
I am so glad to hear the good news! You are a persistent man and I'm sure you will continue to beat this thing. Take your meds, Listen to the Doc and we will see you on the road again soon.

gunny Nov 1st, 2009 6:44 am

Bruce:

Was not aware that you were ailing.

Glad that you are on the road to recovery.

kellenbenz Nov 1st, 2009 7:08 am

Wow...Great news Bruce! It has been one of the prettiest mornings in East Texas that I have seen and this news just tops it all off.

Recover soon and ride with a smile.

Ron

JPSpen Nov 1st, 2009 9:10 am

Great news Bruce !

Glad you are still walking, talking and soon, Riding again.

John

kdog Nov 1st, 2009 10:32 am

Bruce, I had no idea. Holy cow man, that's some serious stuff, and you sound so matter of fact and upbeat. Keep up the good work, and I'll be thinking about you.

Take care, and best to you and Cheri.

-joel

andy Nov 1st, 2009 11:56 am

Best news I have heard in quite some time!

dsauer608 Nov 1st, 2009 4:59 pm

Hey Bruce that just plain rocks! SOO glad to hear all went well and you're on the mend. We will see you at the Renuion (ha!) in Killington then!

Wolfgang Nov 1st, 2009 6:48 pm

Bruce,

I wish you the very best. I really appreciate the write up. It's educational and reflects a very positive attitude on your part.

Please keep us posted.

batbyk Nov 2nd, 2009 7:31 am

Bruce,

That is great news! Funny too, I was sitting at my desk last week thinking "Hey, Bruce Yates should be getting a new kidney about now" I hope that your recovery goes smoothly, that they get your daily cocktail under control, and that your body falls in love with the new kidney instead of rejecting it. Hopefully you can return to your passions, motorcycling, diving, and photography soon. Good luck my friend, I love starting the day with good news like this! See you in Bellingham in June and Vermont in September!

cfell Nov 2nd, 2009 12:19 pm

...we here on the BMWLT site cannot hold a candle to the tremendous gift of a KIDNEY!

She is an awesome person!

hallzee Nov 2nd, 2009 11:09 pm

Bruce, that is great news. Not only for you, but allows the rest of us a kernal of hope that all is not lost for humankind, as demonstrated by the act of kindness of your donor!

STARFIGHTER Nov 3rd, 2009 8:15 am

Bruce
Glad to hear you're doing better.
Now you have the whole rainy season to relax and recuperate.
reading material:
Against the wind by Ron Ayres
The whole Clive Cussler collection
Hope to see Ya' out there this Spring

brasters Nov 3rd, 2009 10:14 am

Good news Bruce! Glad to hear your up and about again, I am sure it won't be long before you are diving and riding again. Looking forward to seeing you again at CCR.

ldbikin Nov 3rd, 2009 12:25 pm

wow, your a better man than i, glad to hear all is well as it can be, kudo's to your friend, what an awesome gift...i'm a wuss, i can hardly hack broken bones :cool:

roadcrave Nov 10th, 2009 12:22 am

Bruce great to read all things are going well, keep up your positive attitude for it accounts for lots, your BMW lt friend on the east side...matthew

DavidTaylor Nov 10th, 2009 9:24 am

That's great to hear, Bruce! I will continue to send good thoughts your way for a continued successful recovery!

Ya know, hot sauce may help. :D

jayjacobson Nov 11th, 2009 1:00 am

Congrats Bruce! This has been a tough year for all of us. Hoping for a better 2010. Keep the good fight!

Bruce_Yates Nov 17th, 2009 1:10 pm

First of all, thanks for all the kind words and wishes, everybody! I have really felt the concern and caring of my friends throughout this process, and that includes all of you!

I'm continuing to recover - returned to work today (you can see how hard I'm working! :D ) for the first time since the surgery (which was exactly 4 weeks ago tomorrow).

The main "issue" I face is staying away from sick people (my co-workers know that, and one of them stayed home today because she has a minor sore throat). Apparently, one of the drugs they give you right after transplant surgery (derived from bunny rabbits!) completely suppresses your immune system and takes several months to wear off, and therefore makes transplant patients REALLY vulnerable to the H1N1 flu - two recent transplant patients at UWMC (where I had my transplant) caught H1N1 and the doctors literally couldn't keep them alive - both died. Kinda scary! (They've actually stopped administering that drug for the time being!) So I'm being super-cautious, staying in my own office, avoiding crowds, restaurants, grocery store checkout lines, etc. But meanwhile continuing to feel a little better every day, and increasingly looking forward to next summer and doing lots of RIDING! :yeah:

BTW, someone at the PKD Foundation caught wind of my transplant, and called to ask me a few questions. The result was this, which I just saw on their website:
http://www.pkdcure.org/News/BruceYat...0/Default.aspx

sanjaun2 Nov 17th, 2009 10:40 pm

Bruce,
I am glad you are doing so well. Keep that trend going. I have a friend who works at the hospital and she tells me a lot of healthy people are succumbing to H1N1. Please take it very seriously with your weakened immune system. I hope your back on the bike and in scuba gear real soon.

Bruce_Yates Mar 4th, 2010 10:14 pm

Hey Gang!:wave

I've had a few inquiries as to how I'm doing, so I thought I'd just let you all know I'm still doing great - continuing to improve month by month (it's been almost 5 months since the transplant). I've had a few "interesting" drug reactions, but that has settled down, and I'm only taking a few hundred pills a week now, and I'll get to drop a few dozen of those at he 6 month mark.

In fact, I'm doing so well that I just booked dive trip to the Cayman Islands for late May! :) Now if I can just remember how to breathe underwater and use a camera at the same time...(I never did quite get that whole chewing gum while walking thing down!) ;)

I'm still plannng to attend CCR in VT, although it looks like i'll probably need to fly 'n' drive (or ride). The key thing in my mind is to be there and get to see everybody, not what I ride/drive to get there! :cool:

jayjacobson Mar 4th, 2010 11:24 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bruce_Yates
.....In fact, I'm doing so well that I just booked dive trip to the Cayman Islands for late May! :)....

:bowdown: Congrats, Bruce. A well deserved vacation. :bowdown: Keep the faith, perhaps with time, as you continue to regain your health, you will have to take less drugs.

Don't worry about that gum and walk thing. I suffer from the same problem--EXCEPT--I can no longer work and wear boots at the same time....For some strange reason, by the end of my 12 hour shift, my size 12, triple wide, boots would always end up in someone's ass! :confused: :o

DavidTaylor Mar 5th, 2010 12:54 am

Awesome news, Bruce! It's great to hear you're doing so well, and up for another diving trip! I'll see you in Killington!

AS for the fly and ride thing, I'm working on a possible deal to get a group rate on bike rentals since I won't have the time to ride there and back. I'll keep you posted on details.

Wolfgang Mar 5th, 2010 7:43 am

Thanks for the update. Looking forward to see you in Vermont!

kdog Mar 5th, 2010 11:42 am

That's awesome, Bruce. I've been wondering how you were doing. I'll look forward to seeing your pictures from Cayman. Rock on!

-joel

batbyk Mar 10th, 2010 7:06 am

That is great news! Glad 2 hear it and while I look forward to seeing you in Vermont, what about June 5th in Bellevue? Will u b around?

jeffklt Mar 10th, 2010 7:45 am

Wow, quite the news. I was out of town with my father battling cancer, (successfully), during the latter part of October and early November and somehow missed this thread. It is great to read how well you are doing in spite of my oblivion. Please know you will be in my thoughts and prayers and I look forward to seeing you in Vermont.

As an aside, I gave one of your calendars to my son's Marine Science teacher and she continues to remind me that she is available as an assistant :D and a good lookin' one she is.

Bruce_Yates Mar 10th, 2010 12:14 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by batbyk
That is great news! Glad 2 hear it and while I look forward to seeing you in Vermont, what about June 5th in Bellevue? Will u b around?

Thanks! As for June 5th, that is the day I return from diving in the Cayman Islands (my first dive trip since the surgery! Yippee!), so I doubt it will work. However, I get home early that afternoon, so PM me with exactly where you're going to be when on that day, and I'll see if we can't work something out (taking into account my wife's likely claims on my time after a trip like that, of course). It'd be great to see you!

Bruce_Yates Mar 10th, 2010 12:18 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeffklt
...As an aside, I gave one of your calendars to my son's Marine Science teacher and she continues to remind me that she is available as an assistant :D and a good lookin' one she is.

As tempting as that sounds, I'll have to pass. If there ever comes a time when I value having an attractive dive assistant over marital bliss at home (with my also-good-lookin' wife!), I"ll let you know... ;)